Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

movax posted:

People must be Wiresharking the poo poo out of these devices to see when they’re transmitting back home.

Oh yeah. I know a couple guys who keep a real sharp eye on their edge device at home and if they see ANY questionable outbound activity, they slap a pcap on the exit node immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Case talk. Go naked like Steve jobs intended.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you like replacing iPhone screens several times a year, sure.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

jaegerx posted:

AppleCare+ is the best case.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Saddle brown

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Saddle brown

Counter point. Grey is awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think you will find that saddle brown is preferred by those with superior taste.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jaegerx posted:

+1 and there’s always a toilet around if you get food or a smudge of any sort on it anyway

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, but still got that AC deductible.

I tossed a Spigen basic “Air cushion” case on my X (I reward Apple’s poo poo quality by purchasing their new flagship device, it’s me, I’m the battered spouse), looks nice, doesn’t add bulk, protects the camera lenses a bit. Yes, I ruined their industrial design with a case, but come on dudes, phones are always going to take a beating. Fact of life.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Kilometers Davis posted:

+1 and there’s always a toilet around if you get food or a smudge of any sort on it anyway

+2
This is gonna derail in the same case no case chat. I get that for some (many) people a case is a good investment. For me I like my phones naked, it just feels better in hand. I have never broken a screen.
No need to get so defensive about your choice to go with a case.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I actually always have a cheap Spigen on my iPhones and iPads anyway :shrug:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Every iphone since the 5 is hard to use one handed without a case to give you some traction

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Not exactly everything, but it was a lot. There was a hardware defect that made it like the activation button was held down.

Exactly. It may be designed to only record what’s said after it hears a specific keyword, but all it takes is some engineer loving up somewhere for it to start recording way more than that. Given the generally dubious software QA from companies like this, I wouldn’t blame anyone for not trusting these devices to work exactly as they’re supposed to.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Weedle posted:

Exactly. It may be designed to only record what’s said after it hears a specific keyword, but all it takes is some engineer loving up somewhere for it to start recording way more than that. Given the generally dubious software QA from companies like this, I wouldn’t blame anyone for not trusting these devices to work exactly as they’re supposed to.

Right, but as has been brought up multiple times already, we're not going on what Google or Amazon tells us...it's easy to tell if a device is transmitting data and how much and when.

I mean, I would never claim we can be 100% confident about such a thing, but it's not as simple as "profit driven company puts mic in your house = they're always listening". We can verify to a high degree of confidence.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

They could potentially use it for targeted surveillance of an individual or small group by pushing custom firmware to specific devices or IP addresses. They might even be compelled to with a secret court order. That risk is no different than the risk from the microphones and cameras we’re all carrying around in our pockets.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Evis posted:

They could potentially use it for targeted surveillance of an individual or small group by pushing custom firmware to specific devices or IP addresses.
Then at that point you're dealing with the NSA and realistically no amount of mitigation is going to prevent them from figuring out a way to get to you.
e: Also if you think Google or Amazon have any interest in doing that themselves, you're a bit far down the conspiracy rabbit hole.

Weedle posted:

I wouldn’t blame anyone for not trusting these devices to work exactly as they’re supposed to.
I would absolutely blame someone for not trusting the dozens of hobbyist/industry professional analyses of exactly what's going in and out of said devices.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

I would absolutely blame someone for not trusting the dozens of hobbyist/industry professional analyses of exactly what's going in and out of said devices.

It may work just as described now, but it only takes one bad software update to gently caress it up. If this seems implausible to you, recall that for many years you couldn’t gain root access to a Mac by button-mashing on the login screen, and then suddenly you could.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Weedle posted:

It may work just as described now, but it only takes one bad software update to gently caress it up. If this seems implausible to you, recall that for many years you couldn’t gain root access to a Mac by button-mashing on the login screen, and then suddenly you could.

Good reminder to be wary of the Homepod

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Weedle posted:

Right, but there's a difference between thinking that Amazon, Google, or Apple want to and are listening to your conversations at all times via these devices and software fuckups leading to them working in some way other than intended (which is also detectable pretty easily with something like Wireshark). Like, they have to be actively collecting, sending, and parsing that data for a software fuckup (a la Home Mini) to mean anything significant.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I saw that thing Apple is doing where the cost for a new iPhone battery is $30 and the replacement can be done in-store with a Genius Bar appoinrtment.

Question is this: what are the risks of the phone being damaged or wrecked by having the battery service done in-store? Low to nil?

FWIW I do intermittently backup my phone via iTunes (and would do so before bringing it in) as well as doing copy-paste backups of anything more critical on my phone.

EDIT: I watched this video, breaking away the glue is a bit ehh but everything else seems pretty straightforward. I’m assuming they have some kind of specific tool or jig for the screen-removing work.

https://youtu.be/tKw9e6_TBOI

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 6, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I saw that thing Apple is doing where the cost for a new iPhone battery is $30 and the replacement can be done in-store with a Genius Bar appoinrtment.

Question is this: what are the risks of the phone being damaged or wrecked by having the battery service done in-store? Low to nil?

FWIW I do intermittently backup my phone via iTunes (and would do so before bringing it in) as well as doing copy-paste backups of anything more critical on my phone.

EDIT: I watched this video, breaking away the glue is a bit ehh but everything else seems pretty straightforward. I’m assuming they have some kind of specific tool or jig for the screen-removing work.

Are you questioning if Apple knows what its doing when it does the battery replacement? Because I'm really not sure what you are asking here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Three-Phase posted:

Pretty sure Apple would replace your phone if they damaged it during repair. I’m sure it bad repairs happen at Apple since humans are error prone but they wouldn’t risk a PR nightmare by saying “hey we broke it. Buy a new one.”

On that note, whenever I see iFixit teardowns, it looks horribly complicated and error prone. Do Apple employees have access to some machine or whatever that does it? Any modern Apple device looks like a royal pain to service, even if you were a computer mechanic.

Like the thought of seeing some Apple employee servicing a broken iPhone with a guitar pick, suction cup, and hair dryer seems absurd.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

If they gently caress up your phone doing a service, they will give you a new (refurbished) phone. They will always always always ask you to back it up to iCloud before handing it over. Source: they hosed up my phone doing a service (touchscreen didn't work after reassembly).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
^ Eeep. For the guy who asked me “do you question if the Apple employees know what they’re doing...” well there is at least part of the answer.

Anyhow I dug a little deeper and Apple does in fact have purpose-built tools for the servicing work, not like the iFixit tear down tools.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 6, 2018

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Any reason under iPhone storage the System section says 8.36 gigs? What constitutes that? Seems like a lot and I also feel like I’m asking a question from 4 years ago.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

If they gently caress up your phone doing a service, they will give you a new (refurbished) phone. They will always always always ask you to back it up to iCloud before handing it over. Source: they hosed up my phone doing a service (touchscreen didn't work after reassembly).

Much better than the third party AASP I had to go to when my iPhone 5's battery went. They somehow managed to make it so that the lock button sent the same event as the home button, so I couldn't sleep the thing without turning on assistive touch or whatever it's called. When I came in to get the phone, the guy asked me "so uh, did it do that before?"

I had to send in my phone under the lock switch recall program to even get it fixed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

^ Eeep. For the guy who asked me “do you question if the Apple employees know what they’re doing...” well there is at least part of the answer.

Anyhow I dug a little deeper and Apple does in fact have purpose-built tools for the servicing work, not like the iFixit tear down tools.
Sometimes things go wrong, yes. They will take care of you in that rare occasion. They are not Asus who will beat your device with a hammer then refuse you service.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Endless Mike posted:

Sometimes things go wrong, yes. They will take care of you in that rare occasion. They are not Asus who will beat your device with a hammer then refuse you service.

Well that is a good point...

Besides files I’d want to verify that I had backups for any two-factor auth programs too. (I have these but double checking would be a very good idea.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 6, 2018

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

movax posted:

Yeah, but still got that AC deductible.

I tossed a Spigen basic “Air cushion” case on my X (I reward Apple’s poo poo quality by purchasing their new flagship device, it’s me, I’m the battered spouse), looks nice, doesn’t add bulk, protects the camera lenses a bit. Yes, I ruined their industrial design with a case, but come on dudes, phones are always going to take a beating. Fact of life.

IMO iPhones are designed to have a case and its been that way since they introduced the camera bump.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

The rocker mute switch on my phone has sucked since I took it to an Apple Store for cracked screen repair -- it's just loose and almost always mutes the phone. I didn't notice it in the store and I'm too lazy to take it back. I'm sure they would have repaired it had I said something in a reasonable amount of time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

spunkshui posted:

IMO iPhones are designed to have a case and its been that way since they introduced the camera bump.

Agreed.

I occasionally take my 7 Plus out of its black leather case to marvel at how thin it is and how pleasing the curve of the glass is but always put it back in in disgust once I've set it down on a desk and remember about the bump.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Is there any actual software for restoring a phone that's not a scam? My wife's iphone 7 just shows the Itunes logo with the restore link to apple. Tried to update and restore with itunes but the phone shows the update bar for a split second then restarts again which causes itunes to throw a 4013 error.

Searching for answers has been a huge headache and a lot of links to "miracle fixer" apps that are pay only and don't do anything itunes can't anyway. The local phone store just says they can't do anything and pushes to buy a new iphone. There's an apple store/genius place not that far away but I've never been to one before. Do they charge for this kind of thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

Is there any actual software for restoring a phone that's not a scam? My wife's iphone 7 just shows the Itunes logo with the restore link to apple. Tried to update and restore with itunes but the phone shows the update bar for a split second then restarts again which causes itunes to throw a 4013 error.

Searching for answers has been a huge headache and a lot of links to "miracle fixer" apps that are pay only and don't do anything itunes can't anyway. The local phone store just says they can't do anything and pushes to buy a new iphone. There's an apple store/genius place not that far away but I've never been to one before. Do they charge for this kind of thing?

Did you try putting it in DFU mode?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Endless Mike posted:

Did you try putting it in DFU mode?

First, fantastic name. Yes I can get it into DFU mode. Itunes just does the same thing with it. Is there something different I can do with itunes and DFU?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2018

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you’re using the latest iTunes and restoring from DFU and still getting an error I think it’s time to contact apple.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

The rocker mute switch on my phone has sucked since I took it to an Apple Store for cracked screen repair -- it's just loose and almost always mutes the phone. I didn't notice it in the store and I'm too lazy to take it back. I'm sure they would have repaired it had I said something in a reasonable amount of time.

Mines been like that for a while. I clean it out with a brush and it sorts it out, but always ends up going back to crappy. Took it into an Apple Store right at the beginning and it was them who showed me how to do the temp fix. Bit annoying but I can’t say I really mind my phone not making noise all the time, and it’s generally in eye sight so I don’t miss calls.

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
I'm convinced anyone who complains about the new gestures for the iPhone X must be an old person or just really bad at computers. I only had to google how to get into the control center when I got it but at this point i'm faster on the phone than I ever was with the old home button. It made me remember how on my old 6 the home button would end up slowing me down.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a 6 plus that has a third party battery because the first one died. Apple isn’t going to replace that battery, right?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Weed goku posted:

I'm convinced anyone who complains about the new gestures for the iPhone X must be an old person or just really bad at computers. I only had to google how to get into the control center when I got it but at this point i'm faster on the phone than I ever was with the old home button. It made me remember how on my old 6 the home button would end up slowing me down.

I've been using the X for a few days now and whilst I'm fine with it it's no better than the button was and possibly less exact to use. There's more flailing to get to the same effect and at best it's almost as good as before.

It's also massively worse trying to kill apps. The old way was simply far easier and faster.

That being said it's certainly usable and not bad, just not revolutionary in any good way. It and a lot like they've just changed things for the sake of it. The screen is nice, and the facial id tech is pretty good (less failures than the fingerprint had).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Has anyone else seen all the stuff in the top sections of the screen shifting left off the screen? I've seen it randomly happening in a few apps.

I'd post a screen shot but the app refuses to let me.

E: yay worked out a way

iajanus fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 6, 2018