Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Paracord everywhere! Somehow considered better than proper grip or metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
lol

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

M_Gargantua posted:

Paracord everywhere! Somehow considered better than proper grip or metal

if I make two paracord monkey fists and hang it from my .22 rifle, is it ok????

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Speaking of clones...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I have another Surefire M951 if you want it for that clone. It's the newer version with the slightly skinnier body.

(Found out after I got it that it wasn't the same type I had, which is why it's up for sale.)

Spare KAC VFG too.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Do you have a spare 203?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'd say in my pants, but then I'm Asian, so

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

This seems like a fitting thread to post this in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1SpUh_yKg

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That looks like a Bad Idea

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

It actually made it to about 39m (128ft)!!
I calculated the height from the time between explosion and landing. (not accounting for air resistance, but that should be negligible)
Formula used: H=9.81/8*T^2

people downloaded the video and framecounted the ascent

im kinda glad youtube comments exist for single reasons like this.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That is some white trash Looney Toons poo poo right there

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There's a few serious ways that could've gone wrong and all of them result in something really, really bad.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

It's actually kind of entertaining to see old folks doing dumb poo poo. It helps to remind me that even when people look like they should know better, they often don't.

I can't help but associate the grandpa type with knowing what the gently caress was up every which way. Cause my Gramps did, and he fuckin owned.

To keep this gun related the same Gramps was indignant to learn that at 13 years of age I did not own my own shotgun and promptly drove me down to the local sporting goods store and dropped me off at home with a Mossberg 12ga pump and a box of both bird and buckshot.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

More M4 build pics.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845759

:toot::suicide:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHYC4ekzg60

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Pile of American Military History, 1795 to Present

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

McNally posted:

It's beautiful :911:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

McNally posted:

:magical: It's beautiful.

Does the 1903 have the original stock?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BigDave posted:

:magical: It's beautiful.

Does the 1903 have the original stock?

It's an 03A3, so... yes, but not in the way you're thinking.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
My dumb state won’t allow me to get my Glock 34 out of gun jail until 30 days from getting my new license have passed. So I just get to sit and pout for a few more weeks while I fondle the drop-in trigger, threaded barrel and comp I got. Oh well!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Need recommendations on dual tube night vision

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I use dual PVS-14s with a mod armory bridge mount. Lets me mix it up between using both, or using only one if the moonlight is decent or if I have a friend that I'm taking hiking at night and need to share. No experience with dual tubes outside of that. So far I like running both on nights with poor moonlight, but otherwise just one for nights with good moonlight.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Do I need manual gain control or is auto fine?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Both of my PVS-14s have a manual brightness knob, but they're auto gated as well. Is that what you mean?

I don't think I'd want full manual; the auto gating helps out a lot when there are varying light sources and levels of darkness around. (Street lights, etc.)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
That’s what it looks like, I don’t want muzzle flash washing out the image.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh, yeah I've never had the image in move washed out by that. Most good quality units are auto gated these days though; you'd have to go out of your way to find a full manual unit.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Those guys who came up with the binary trigger are giving another big "gently caress you" to the NFA with a... thing that outwardly appears to be an SBR, but which apparently has already been determined by the ATF to not be a rifle.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/11/reformation-franklin-armory-hacks-nfa-no-sbr-11-5-ar/

These are the binary trigger guys, so they're probably skirting the definition of "rifle" by getting around the "single pull of the trigger" part. This could be either by requiring more than one pull (likely) or by only shipping these things with binary triggers. The binary-only option may be a stretch, but as we already know that it skirts the definition of a machine gun (which uses "actuation" of a trigger), and it may also skirt that of a rifle by discharging two rounds for a single pull.

e: That or there's something entirely different and funky going on in there. You'll note that in those photos there's a rather long bump on the left side of the upper where there would normally be a short one. On your run-of-the-mill AR, that bump provides a cavity inside the upper for the bolt's cam pin to rotate when in battery. Perhaps that's a clue.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 13, 2018

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I can't wait to see how they're skirting the NFA with this.

Although part of me is worried that the industry is digging too greedily and too deep with all these NFA hacks. I suppose we'll see when the political pendulum swings back the other way.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The arm braces are a somewhat of a believable stretch/loophole. Yeah, that one looks ridiculous based on how the law is written.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The barrel is smoothbore but twisted in a way that still imparts spin.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In follow on news its more and more likely that places like the ATF will be so underfunded that they'll be unable to enforce domestic firearms laws like the NFA for anything short of large scale arms deals.

Smaller government working for you!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'm all for poking more holes in stupid laws that should never have been passed in the first place.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Naked Bear posted:

I'm all for poking more holes in stupid laws that should never have been passed in the first place.

You'll be sorry in 2024 when President Feinstein signs the National Firearms Act v2 that was pushed through congress because the old laws were being flagrantly bypassed! The law will restrict firearms more severely based on how fun or interesting they are.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

M_Gargantua posted:

In follow on news its more and more likely that places like the ATF will be so underfunded that they'll be unable to enforce domestic firearms laws like the NFA for anything short of large scale arms deals.

Smaller government working for you!

*taps forehead* can't get busted making suppressors if the ATF can't afford to *prosecute

*just don't have a dog

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Since .303 British ammo is so goddamned expensive how loving retarded it is that i want to get into hand loading bullets?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you look at it as a hobby, it's fine and pretty popular. I'd like to get into it myself.

Before you start shelling out $$$ for equipment, think very carefully about how much time you ACTUALLY want to dedicate to it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
On the other hand if you nab all your brass back up it can be really cheap shooting (if you don't factor in your time).

And if you're good at reloading your ammo will be much more consistent than what you buy pre rolled.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

If you look at it as a hobby, it's fine and pretty popular. I'd like to get into it myself.

Before you start shelling out $$$ for equipment, think very carefully about how much time you ACTUALLY want to dedicate to it.

If i wanted to go cheaply as possible I could go the Lee Classic loader, buy a rubber mallet and really hate myself after the 30th round. Or i can get a hand press the die set for .303.

not caring here posted:

On the other hand if you nab all your brass back up it can be really cheap shooting (if you don't factor in your time).

And if you're good at reloading your ammo will be much more consistent than what you buy pre rolled.

This and the fact that .303 British is relatively rare is kinda an incentive for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Reloading makes sense to me if you're trying to save money on ammo in the long run, or if you're going for performance/accuracy gains.

You have to ask yourself, how much are you really gonna shoot a .303 British rifle?

Working up a spreadsheet of the reloading equipment cost + reloaded rounds cost compared to the cost of just buying loaded .303 would be where I'd start.

There's also the time spent reloading to factor in too. I shoot a decent amount, but I don't reload because I don't want to make the time/knowledge investment right now.