Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i would much rather be S4 than some godforsaken platoon leader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

mods change my name posted:

i would much rather be S4 than some godforsaken platoon leader

I'd rather be out then be a S4 or a platoon leader

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Jesus Christ, I might become the S4.

gently caress.

lmbo. My greatest motivation to be an excellent tactician as an LT was to avoid ever being put on some balls-rear end staff position. Would do again, just doing recons into the desert for days on end instead of doing staff poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I already have more scout PL time than any other LT since I’ve been here that I know of, it was either XO or staff time. I’m lucky I got more than a year, most only get like 8 or 9 months.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I was the S4 before leaving my old Battalion. Before going to my new unit I got a call asking me to be the S4 because they had like 6 S4s in the span of a year and needed someone who knew how to do it. I got an early command out of it though.

I did do 2 NTC rotations as the S4 which was awful. So awful.

Edit: I was also an XO before doing that so if you weren't one you will be hurting. We usually put our senior XO in that spot

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don’t think my unit has ever once had a former XO as an S4, usually a senior PL.

Our XOs have never been senior PLs, they’re usually guys that had a short stint as a PL and then a long one as an XO.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

I already have more scout PL time than any other LT since I’ve been here that I know of, it was either XO or staff time. I’m lucky I got more than a year, most only get like 8 or 9 months.

I did 18 months as PL, 6 as an XO, never did lovely staff-slots save waiting for a few months for a command to open up. I've heard similar tales of PL time terror from other infantry/armor types lately though.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

mlmp08 posted:

I did 18 months as PL, 6 as an XO, never did lovely staff-slots save waiting for a few months for a command to open up. I've heard similar tales of PL time terror from other infantry/armor types lately though.

I really think it depends on your unit. Being an XO in my old unit was seen as prestigious but I think it's because it was a heavy unit where it's logistics and maintenance heavy. light units it's seen as "meh".

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
FWIW your pre-KD assignments have nearly zero effect on your career as long as you aren't a complete turd. If you've gotten some learning out of it PL/XO time, doing a primary staff job is a beneficial perspective to carry into command.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

:regd09:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yea I know, I’m lame army is dumb hail satan. But he is an O grade, which is a generalist path defined by doing unfamiliar jobs for a year or two and struggling to hopefully not let your incompetence get anyone killed. He should make peace with that, and either accept it so he can be happy in or tell his boss to bottom block him so he can be happy and get out. There is no point in the career of a commissioned oppressor where they get to hang out and be comfortable, there will always be another s4 assignment around the corner. If you want that life grow a mustache and be a warrant.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I almost went warrant.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m also a broke brain that’s still in. Primary staff time isn’t bad at all. Being an AS3 or the like usually is awful because you get more responsibility and none of the benefits.

None of that matters since you are getting out, but it’s actually a good thing to put on a resume. Managed a budget of x million dollars and a fleet of specialized vehicles worth another x million dollars. If you send the Bn to Yakima or NTC again you’ll be able to pad the resume even more.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Never listen to anyone in the military who tells you something is "good to put on a resume for when you get out." How would they know?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I feel like the most useful thing you put on a resume from being in the army is your security clearance, and maybe some specialized schools if they’re relevant to what you’re applying for (spoiler alert: not likely)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hypnophant posted:

Never listen to anyone in the military who tells you something is "good to put on a resume for when you get out." How would they know?

On my resume I said that I have over 20 years of experience creating lesson plans and teaching thousands of students in a myriad of environments.

I'm going to be a 1st grade teacher.

:smuggo:

Oh, and bad news on my retirement. They're not going to "allow" me to retire until late this year. There's some poo poo they want me to do. :downs:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Your new students will be considerably more intelligent than your old ones.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

hypnophant posted:

We have friends that did the same thing to get a job in the civilian world. It’s a novel idea isn’t it?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I put "memorized both the Soldiers Creed and the Creed of The Noncommissioned Officer" on my resume and my phone is ringing non-stop!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got 2 credit hours for physical education having 2 MOSs on my joint service transcript thing but boy howdy if they knew what garbage physical education the military taught they should not only not give me 2 but take 2 away.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Your new students will be considerably more intelligent than your old ones.

Probably.

Honestly I'm just excited to go back to college.

Is it really bad for old people like me? Will I have no friends and nobody to hang out with?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

spacetoaster posted:

Probably.

Is it really bad for old people like me? Will I have no friends and nobody to hang out with?

It's more that there's a bunch of people that you don't want to hang out with.

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with a lot of young people, it's just that they are all caught up with young people poo poo. poo poo that isn't important, has never been nor will be important, but goddamn if it isn't important to them right now.

In saying that though I joined the Formula SAE team and we build race car stuff and that's a pretty cool place to hang out if you're into that sort of thing. I assume the other clubs are similar if your interests align.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have imposter syndrome real bad in college because I’m 8-12 years older than everyone else and I can definitely notice a generational gap if you can call it that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Probably.

If there’s a club doing something you like, give them a try. That’s how I ended up making friends with people ~10 years younger than me, and getting back into both archery and scuba diving. People shut up when you’re shooting, and nobody can talk to you underwater, unless it’s sign language about a nearby fish. It’s a win-win!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

not caring here posted:

It's more that there's a bunch of people that you don't want to hang out with.

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with a lot of young people, it's just that they are all caught up with young people poo poo. poo poo that isn't important, has never been nor will be important, but goddamn if it isn't important to them right now.

In saying that though I joined the Formula SAE team and we build race car stuff and that's a pretty cool place to hang out if you're into that sort of thing. I assume the other clubs are similar if your interests align.

boop the snoot posted:

I have imposter syndrome real bad in college because I’m 8-12 years older than everyone else and I can definitely notice a generational gap if you can call it that.

Clubs is a good idea. I rollerskate, lift very heavy weights, play a couple of instruments, and play paintball. I wonder if there's a club for that?

I'm trying not to be pissed that they won't let me retire RIGHT THIS loving SECOND. FUUUUUCK!! 21 YEARS!! LET ME GO!!!

Sorry. I love the military. It's been super good to me. It's just time to move on to other stuff.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Hahahajaja mustang s a pog now

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Clubs is a good idea. I rollerskate, lift very heavy weights, play a couple of instruments, and play paintball. I wonder if there's a club for that?

There's a club for everything, just be mindful of the weirdos that inevitably get drawn to the more niche ones. Fencing/anime? :stonklol: Archery? A few weirdos, but doesn't attract the kind of person that routinely shows in in gun clubs and wants to debate the second amendment with people who just want to shoot. Scuba? A lot of science types (especially at my school, with a marine bio program), but you'll get some actual instructors/divemasters in the mix and hopefully an affiliation with a local shop (which is where you'll meet people more your age).

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m also a broke brain that’s still in. Primary staff time isn’t bad at all. Being an AS3 or the like usually is awful because you get more responsibility and none of the benefits.

None of that matters since you are getting out, but it’s actually a good thing to put on a resume. Managed a budget of x million dollars and a fleet of specialized vehicles worth another x million dollars. If you send the Bn to Yakima or NTC again you’ll be able to pad the resume even more.

loving lmbo this is so loving wrong unless you’re getting a job that very closely mirrors your military experience (spoiler alert there aren’t any civilian armor officers).

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Hope everyone had a nice holiday. I think I caught a disease of the dick like a loving rookie. May be just in my head. We will see. The more I think of the girl and her past I have a feeling this one I may pay for. I am ashamed at myself.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

brb going to get some really big cotton swabs

for your dickhole

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Probably.

It’s hit or miss. I’m always the oldest in my class. I don’t have friends because I don’t have time between being a dad of 3 and going to class. I’m pretty well liked , especially because I volunteer to take photos of the athletes at my school for them. Not for my school’s media but for them. I have plenty of reasons to do it, and most of it unselfish but I’d lie if I wasn’t pumped to watch any game on the sideline taking pictures.

You’ll have to make conversation most of the time. You also have to understand this generation is way different. People are too young to understand who Richard Simmons is.

Basically I ask questions, even if others think it’s stupid. I’m not there for them, so I don’t care.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Probably not. There are clubs and poo poo to do, as mentioned. I didn't hang out outside of class much with older students, but I had a few classes with chill older folks who had good perspectives and were interesting. And for one study group, the older guy who obviously was back at college for fun and had some money didn't try to "buy friendship" but simply having the spare change to have some food and a case of beer went a long way to getting people to attend the study group and contribute.

On the other hand, there was a woman in her 60s who chose to live in the cheap-rear end "work for board" dorms and would bitch at everyone about quiet hours and rat out students who didn't clean to her standard.

When my wife went back for her masters, she was only in her late 20s or maaaaybe 30 toward the end. She met some very cool people, but even then, her perspective as a person studying science/policy coming from a background of working with the public and stakeholders vs some kid who went to direct to the master's with zero work experience was kind of :catstare: for her at times.

Also given that she worked 50-ish hours a week while also being considered a full-time student meant her patience for lazy "group work" partners was about negative a billion.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 4, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

It’s hit or miss. I’m always the oldest in my class. I don’t have friends because I don’t have time between being a dad of 3 and going to class. I’m pretty well liked , especially because I volunteer to take photos of the athletes at my school for them. Not for my school’s media but for them. I have plenty of reasons to do it, and most of it unselfish but I’d lie if I wasn’t pumped to watch any game on the sideline taking pictures.

You’ll have to make conversation most of the time. You also have to understand this generation is way different. People are too young to understand who Richard Simmons is.

Basically I ask questions, even if others think it’s stupid. I’m not there for them, so I don’t care.

It's weird to me when people don't have older/younger friends. When my wife and I were early 20's we had multiple couples who were close to us that were 40's, 50's, and even older. Now that I'm late 30's it seems younger people think it's super weird to hang out with anyone not within a couple years of their own age.

I mean, poo poo. Did you guys not spend your childhoods hanging out with cool old grandpas in your neighborhood like dennis the menace?

mlmp08 posted:

Probably not. There are clubs and poo poo to do, as mentioned. I didn't hang out outside of class much with older students, but I had a few classes with chill older folks who had good perspectives and were interesting. And for one study group, the older guy who obviously was back at college for fun and had some money didn't try to "buy friendship" but simply having the spare change to have some food and a case of beer went a long way to getting people to attend the study group and contribute.

On the other hand, there was a woman in her 60s who chose to live in the cheap-rear end "work for board" dorms and would bitch at everyone about quiet hours and rat out students who didn't clean to her standard.

When my wife went back for her masters, she was only in her late 20s or maaaaybe 30 toward the end. She met some very cool people, but even then, her perspective as a person studying science/policy coming from a background of working with the public and stakeholders vs some kid who went to direct to the master's with zero work experience was kind of :catstare: for her at times.

Also given that she worked 50-ish hours a week while also being considered a full-time student meant her patience for lazy "group work" partners was about negative a billion.

Yeah, I'm going to try and do clubs.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I spent my childhood moving about once a year. All over the US.

So no. I failed to become social until the military.

Edit: and honestly, I’ve been burned so much I don’t give a gently caress. Most people take advantage of kindness. I want a friend who walks the walk. Not just runs their mouth.

Hard to find

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

all apologies posted:

Hope everyone had a nice holiday. I think I caught a disease of the dick like a loving rookie. May be just in my head. We will see. The more I think of the girl and her past I have a feeling this one I may pay for. I am ashamed at myself.

Who could’ve thought this could happen. Protection is for losers.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Has anybody had the conversation where you need to tell your chain of command that you're getting out and give zero fucks about deploying?

Because my boss is about to get that from me next week (tactfully). With my UQR timeline I have no desire to put up with the grad school application process while I'm a planner on BDE staff.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Managed to dodge the S4 bullet. Somehow managed a couple more months of PL time.

My next job is once again up in the air. I’m going to California for a month and I’ll have no idea what my job is once I get back.

If I don’t have one I’m just going to stay home until someone calls me with whatever my next position is

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Regimental birthday officer!!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Start getting medical appointments and if you really want to go for gold start going to ACAP or whatever it's called.

You'll get every poo poo little detail that pops up but you'll have no responsibility at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I would be the worst for that

“Sir, here’s a cupcake I bought at the commissary”