Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

you think Alphabet has a further 10 years of share price inflation that will be driven by winning driverless cars that has not already been priced in at a P:E of 55 and a market cap of 775B?

you think "driverless cars" will be more profitable than advertising?

I think Alphabet remains a smart bet, but not so much so that it deserves more than 2-3% of your total portfolio. It's just too loving rich already.

BB is the better bet, if you really think driverless cars are going to generate profit like nobody's business.

Ok fine. I will look into some other stocks to put into instead of GOOG. Appreciate the feedback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

What other small cap stocks do u guys like

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MEDFF :snoop:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

ALRM (11 shares) - would not buy
BABA (1 share) - this seems a good buy
BB (10 shares) - lol just lol RIM in 2018
GOOG (1 share) - don't you get enough of this poo poo in your index fund?
HMNY (15 shares) - a million dollars isn't cool you know what's cool LOSING a BILLION dollars.
NTDOY (10 shares) - goons.txt

So BB. If you look at their most recent quarterly result you will see that devices make up a paltry sub 30m of revenue, and their SAF is down to sub 10m. This means 85-90% of their revenue is from software sales (recurring ???), and I suppose patents (trolling). They seem to have cash, and could very well start to make acquisitions at some point to strengthen the :derp: security offerings :derp: They recently added a Baidu partnership, and sell some sort of fleet tracking solution which should have high margins. Overall I think they are growing revenue*** and maintaining good gross margin. Looking at the CEO, he seems to be near fully vesting his stock options (13m RSU @ somepoint in 2018) so there is incentive to push hard before they vest. Broadly the company seems to be worth barely over its cash position and I suppose what it's patents are worth.

Now that they've essentially divested their low margin device sales business, they are a takeover target imho

e: *** growing revenue through software/patents

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 5, 2018

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I’m the resident IIPR bull, thier management team sold their last REIT to Blackstone for like $8 billion and are now building a pot REIT. Volatile as all hell with the pot news, but has a non-trivial yield because of the REIT structure.

CVGW and LMNR are my plays on avocado and lemon demand, respectively.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

crazypeltast52 posted:

I’m the resident IIPR bull, thier management team sold their last REIT to Blackstone for like $8 billion and are now building a pot REIT. Volatile as all hell with the pot news, but has a non-trivial yield because of the REIT structure.

crazypeltast52 posted:

cool on IIPR I’ll look into it

Why lemons?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Rocks posted:

What other small cap stocks do u guys like

You could do worse than just MJX, the weed ETF. Pot's already a mammoth industry, and now it's (finally) migrating back into the formal economy. Should do great!

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

crazypeltast52 posted:

This is really funny to me. They both used to be customers of mine. I looked at Calavo back in 2012/2013 and wasn't too excited about it. Pretty crazy to see what they've done.

As for Rock, I think you may have tried a bit hard with $2,500. That's a good amount to just put into a couple (at most 3-4) ETFs and just ride it. If you're paying $7 per trade that means HMNY needs to go up 15% ($7.60 to $8.35+) just to make money. Tough to do unless you're in it for the long haul.

Take it for what it's worth, but at $7/trade I would recommend setting a personal minimum investment of $500 for yourself. A 3% gain is a lot easier to hit

jvick fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 5, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Rocks posted:

just fyi... i'm not a gamer... i haven't played video games in 10 years, and i played a nintendo switch over the holidays and it loving blew my mind. doing the research i think nintendo is going to have a stellar year in 2018.

I also bought a Switch for Christmas and currently own NTDOY shares. Which makes me an expert whose opinion you ought to value :reject:

I think there's some more upside, but if the stock doesn't surge with what I have to think will be amazing Christmas quarter earnings released at the end of this month then I would consider getting out. Keep in mind that the stock has already almost doubled this past year. I am hoping for a profit trinity of strong earnings report, a good Nintendo Direct, and a favorable production outlook for the next calendar year. We shall see. The Wii rally lasted for two years so a sustained run on account of the Switch would hardly be unprecedented.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 5, 2018

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

jvick posted:

This is really funny to me. They both used to be customers of mine. I looked at Calavo back in 2012/2013 and wasn't too excited about it. Pretty crazy to see what they've done.

As for Rock, I think you may have tried a bit hard with $2,500. That's a good amount to just put into a couple (at most 3-4) ETFs and just ride it. If you're paying $7 per trade that means HMNY needs to go up 15% ($7.60 to $8.35+) just to make money. Tough to do unless you're in it for the long haul.

Take it for what it's worth, but at $7/trade I would recommend setting a personal minimum investment of $500 for yourself. A 3% gain is a lot easier to hit

Just so I understand setting a floor of investing $500 per stock right?

Thanks for all your help!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Lmao dude we just talked about minimum buy ins per trade, you are going to get crushed by transaction fees

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

Lmao dude we just talked about minimum buy ins per trade, you are going to get crushed by transaction fees

Well gently caress I’m just learning. I’ll consider $50 of transaction fees the same as buying a few books on the subject. I should note this isn’t my life savings we’re talking about, just trying to learn and have fun.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rocks posted:

Well gently caress I’m just learning. I’ll consider $50 of transaction fees the same as buying a few books on the subject. I should note this isn’t my life savings we’re talking about, just trying to learn and have fun.

2% of your portfolio right there, easy to make up... right?

What kind of gains or losses do you see yourself at after a year?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just use Robinhood and don't buy Nintendo jesus

If you must have exposure to Nintendo you can buy $GAMR or something

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Get an Edward Jones account.

edit:
I thought you were using Robinhood.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I’m so hosed u guys are right :smith:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
For short term stuff I personally wouldn't put less than $2k on any individual stock unless you've got no commissions. Then mayyybe like $1750 min.

Just too hard to make worthwhile money in the right time frame otherwise. Obviously what someone considers worthwhile (both time and $) is going to depend hugely on their personal situation, but commissions do make for a hard floor.

Rock - I'm a learn by doing (aka only learning lessons after losing money) guy myself, I know where you're coming from. Paper trading is fine for learning basics and testing stuff, but you won't learn poo poo about yourself until there's money on the table.

This thread can be on the more brusque side but don't let it bug you.

There's always more to learn about trading, investing and yourself, but you gotta start somewhere. As long as you continually improve over time, you are doing things right.

Biggest thing I can suggest to start in the right direction is to keep a trading journal. Why did you buy a thing, why did you sell it? Even better to get a thesis down ahead of the fact, why do I want to buy a thing, under what conditions would I buy that thing, when/under what conditions will I sell that thing? And then reflect back on it later. Did you stick to your thesis? Did you abandon it for emotional reasons, or did you alter it when new information became available? Why or why not? And always be brutally honest with yourself. Keep updating notes on a position over time as well.

Honestly it's the reflections I've found to be as helpful as the raw data. Over time a journal helps you identify your patterns and biases, see what tends to work and what doesn't. Do you tend to hold losers too long, and sell winners too fast? Get caught up by FOMO and tend to get burned? Does your risk tolerance not seem to shake out in the final numbers the way you think it is in your head? Are you an idiot who wants to make a 3x leveraged bet on the direction of the price of oil? (:suicide:) Etc.

Good luck!

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 6, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That is all really good advice. But it's missing one super key component. Your Gut. Always buy your gut. It''s why hitting on 18 always works when you're drunk in Vegas.

Gut (clappy hand emoji). Trading (clappy hand emoji). Works (clappy hand emoji).

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I kinda wish I could by NTDOY, but my broker doesn't allow OTC stocks :sigh: I haven't had much time for trading lately, so I've just been sitting long in F, VUZI, and AIEQ. I'v been in Vuzix for 2.5 years @ $4.99 :awesome:

Always buy you're gut, never buy a book. Works for me!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rocks posted:

I agree with the learn by doing philosophy, but it's also only going to work if your losses actually make you feel pain. You might as well paper trade otherwise. The first time you look at your portfolio at lunch and see something that makes you want to vomit, you've learned a valuable lesson.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

What yall think of ROBO and BOTZ? I think I like ROBO

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Those are cool ticker names, Gut Feeling: BUY BUY BUY!

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Did anyone buy OHRP after it dropped 80%? Asking for a friend.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

nnnotime posted:

Probably good you stopped: various web-articles I read this evening show the performance hit on post-patched Windows computers wasn't that bad so far, and negligible for some apps. But I don't know the impact on cloud-hardware customers, yet.

Google posted:

Is performance impacted?

On most of Google’s workloads, including our cloud infrastructure, we've seen negligible impact on performance after applying remediations.
https://www.blog.google/topics/google-cloud/answering-your-questions-about-meltdown-and-spectre/

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Goon guts are a significant financial, romantic, and health issue.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Rocks posted:

cool on IIPR I’ll look into it

Why lemons?

Fyi, these are all gambling micro caps. Not pink sheets, but they could all blow up.

LMNR I liked because of their SoCal water rights and land, plus they own a decent amount of CVGW.

Ideally only gamble in this thread after you are set over in the long-term investing thread.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

crazypeltast52 posted:

Ideally only gamble in this thread after you are set over in the long-term investing thread.
I’m cool I maxed out my IRA in dogecoin already

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Rocks posted:

I’m cool I maxed out my IRA in dogecoin already

In that case, welcome friend!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

I agree with the learn by doing philosophy, but it's also only going to work if your losses actually make you feel pain. You might as well paper trade otherwise. The first time you look at your portfolio at lunch and see something that makes you want to vomit, you've learned a valuable lesson.

I like this philosophy too

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

How does everyone in here gamble, I mean trade stocks? Do you just have a brokerage account or do you do it through your IRAs

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Rocks posted:

How does everyone in here gamble, I mean trade stocks? Do you just have a brokerage account or do you do it through your IRAs

I save the degenerate gambling for the brokerage account, and the normal gambling for the IRAs.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I have brokerage accounts for my gambling outside of my 401k/IRA which are invested in boring index/target date funds.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I do it on robinhood what’s an ira?

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

E*Trade PDT account. use to use Scwhab but Etrade has much better/faster/automatic transfer functions, and alos the fills are SIGNIFICANTLY better for short daytrades and scalps and such where fills are important. I refuse to use their trading platform tho... its loving garbage. so I still use the Schwab trading platform for charts/time&sales/Level2 etc. basically everuthing eccept to execute the trade itself lol :newlol:

then of course 401k with boring stuff etc blah blah teh. I dont really touch it much

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Rocks posted:

Just so I understand setting a floor of investing $500 per stock right?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm saying, but really for any stock or ETF. That was one of the mistakes I made when I started a scottrade account at 18.

As for trading, I have a ROTH with mostly high growth mutual funds, and a couple indiv. stocks. Plus my wife and I have a joint account. I also have a Scottrade TD Ameritrade account for reckless gambling.

jvick fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 6, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Some brokerages let you buy ETFs commission free, something to keep in mind if you are doing dollar cost averaging

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My IRA is my gambling fund, but that's only because I rolled-over a few 401k's when I was younger and consolidated them into it. The only reason I use it is to scratch my gambling fix and to keep my regular brokerage positions as long-term capital gains (sector ETFs, indexes, and a few dividend heavy stocks). My current 401k and Roth 401k are in TDF's with a somewhat small percent split between Small Cap/Mid Cap/Emerging Market funds. I also have a pension, so I'm in the very small minority of people that can gamble pretty freely with their IRA.

Normally people gamble in their brokerage account (if at all), but I've always been of the mind set that if you're gonna invest non-tax deferred funds then you should invest them in a way that won't net you more taxes, so that means avoiding short term capital gains (selling for a gain before holding for one year). There's arguments for both sides, but gambling in retirement accounts in general isn't really a good idea because you are not only potentially losing the assets in there, but also the tax differed income that you'll need for retirement.

tldr: I use my IRA for gambling, but it's a pretty stupid idea in general.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Wait, what is the comission rates you guys are paying per transaction? I can buy scandinavian stocks for 0,04%, minimum 0,1 USD fee. I see all this talk about comissions eating up all your gains, but unless you're day trading or buying for less than 10 dollars per transaction, that doesn't really seem to be the case for me.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
What a loving week. Equities account up 5%. Pissed I didn't make more in my options account but rode the last couple days wave and made some decent gains. Would have been nice to have been holding some SOY/DIA weeklies this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

military cervix posted:

Wait, what is the comission rates you guys are paying per transaction? I can buy scandinavian stocks for 0,04%, minimum 0,1 USD fee. I see all this talk about comissions eating up all your gains, but unless you're day trading or buying for less than 10 dollars per transaction, that doesn't really seem to be the case for me.

The fees vary, but $5-$10 per trade would be normal