Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pidan posted:

the Czech republic is not in western Europe.
It's right next to Germany. :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, east of Germany, which is itself considered to be in central Europe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

And China is right next to Russia, therefore in Europe.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo. A koláč is this:

or this:

What have you Americans done to the simple concept of an open pastry with a sweet (fruit, dairy or poppyseed based) filling.

Like this is a loving version of a Knödel / knedlík, a whole different culinary category from a koláč.

It looks like in America we use it for both foods? https://www.kolachefactory.com/menu I dunno I've never heard of the drat things until now don't blame me!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only thing you should order from a bakery is a cream horn. Cream horns are the natural end state of delicious pastries.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm extremely partial to Napoleons.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think you can't beat a good berliner, as long as the filling is evenly distributed and not crammed into one tiny corner like it almost always is.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There's a French pastry called a Jesuit that is pretty tasty. But I think I just like it because it has a funny name and I didn't know it existed before I found it in some French bakery. It's just a pastry with almonds.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Opinion: San Diego Mexican food is the best local junk food of all time.

It has very little to do with food eaten in Mexico. That's not an unpopular opinion, it's just a fact.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Eela6 posted:

It has very little to do with food eaten in Mexico. That's not an unpopular opinion, it's just a fact.

Actually new mexican food is the best type of american versions of mexican food.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eela6 posted:

Oh yeah, on that note; people who complain about Mexican food in America not being the same as Mexican food in Mexico as if that makes it worse or not real food or whatever are all dumb idiots. It doesn't matter at all. Eat a loving burrito. Burritos are delicious.

Especially the people who criticize Taco Bell for not being authentic mexican food. Bithc, that's your criticism of Taco Bell? gently caress off, you pompous stupid assholes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Actually new mexican food is the best type of american versions of mexican food.

Sounds like someone hasn't been to La Pasadita on Ashland at 2am.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't been to La Pasadita on Ashland at 2am.

I haven't, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that the midwest of all places can produce the best anything food-wise.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only thing you should order from a bakery is a cream horn. Cream horns are the natural end state of delicious pastries.

Cream horns are the production of extremely delicious natural selection. The best features of pastries are puff pastry and whipped cream, therefore, remove all the extraneous factors, give me JUST puff pastry and whipped cream.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I haven't, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that the midwest of all places can produce the best anything food-wise.

Chicago has the second largest native born Mexican population in the US. We do Mexican food very well here. Actually nearly all food is represented pretty well here since it's a major city.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except pizza.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Reading up on the Belle Gibson case, I'm fairly certain that she will get a job as a HR manager in some massive corporation sooner or later.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

People who say things for shock value and then crow about how they've successfully offended are far worse and more obnoxious than those (who mostly exist on tumblr) who are offended at everything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

People who say things for shock value and then crow about how they've successfully offended are far worse and more obnoxious than those (who mostly exist on tumblr) who are offended at everything.

Also the vast majority of the "offended at everything" people are sockpuppets ran by the people saying stuff for shock so they have material.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kylo Ren is the most interesting Star War character of all time

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I don't like that he's pretty obviously conflicted all the time, but otherwise he's cool.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, much like the game of thrones threads, the star war threads are full of totally insufferable nerds

Lord of the Rings would not be improved by 30 minutes of magicbabble about why they can't fly the eagles to mordor, nor would star wars be improved by 30 minutes of technobabble about why there is a ww1 cruiser chase happening in space. Just accept that the characters are doing this because they know how space battles work in their universe.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jan 7, 2018

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
The weird deification of cops and soldiers doesn't do society any good. I understand their jobs are dangerous and whatnot but to act as if no cop or soldier has ever made a bad decision or acted before thinking or out of their own biases, is just insane. So many people swing all the way over into 'if you question the cops/don't spout mindless support for ARE TROOPS you're dangerous and unAmerican!!11111' and that's just crazy to me. It just smacks too much of authoritarianism; am I the only one?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yes, literally the only one. Nobody has ever taken issue with the American police force.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
To be fair, soldiers are worse. They export American murder to countries like Iraq. Cops at least keep their killing within the borders.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Astrofig posted:

The weird deification of cops and soldiers doesn't do society any good. I understand their jobs are dangerous and whatnot but to act as if no cop or soldier has ever made a bad decision or acted before thinking or out of their own biases, is just insane. So many people swing all the way over into 'if you question the cops/don't spout mindless support for ARE TROOPS you're dangerous and unAmerican!!11111' and that's just crazy to me. It just smacks too much of authoritarianism; am I the only one?

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle of those extremes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We'd also be better off if we stopped deifying politicians.

"Politician" is a job.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

To be fair, soldiers are worse. They export American murder to countries like Iraq. Cops at least keep their killing within the borders.

Cops are and always have been an occupying force in black communities.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cops are awesome. One time I saw a cop relentlessly hit on a mugging victim and kept her boyfriend away the whole time by threatening him with interfering in an investigation despite both of their protests.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"We'll elect X and s/he'll fix everything" is "great man" theory silliness but it seems like it's everywhere these days.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cops are awesome. One time I saw a cop relentlessly hit on a mugging victim and kept her boyfriend away the whole time by threatening him with interfering in an investigation despite both of their protests.

That actually sounds like abuse of power The proper thing to do would be to report him, or her, to their supervisor so disciplinary action can be taken

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

"We'll elect X and s/he'll fix everything" is "great man" theory silliness but it seems like it's everywhere these days.

On the flip side, people who act as if the other side claimed their guy was the second coming of Christ. I got sick of seeing "You think Obama's so good, why hasn't he fixed X, Y and Z?" I never said he would or could fix everything, but that he was a better option than the almost cartoonishly-evil alternative. I'm expecting the 2020 Republican ticket to be Megatron/Skeletor.

On the plus side, that sort of thing helped me thin out a few friends-of-friends from my Facebook feed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oldpainless posted:

That actually sounds like abuse of power The proper thing to do would be to report him, or her, to their supervisor so disciplinary action can be taken

haha yeah, that's definitely going to result in the officer in question being appropriately punished. And there's no way that snitching on a cop could backfire on you.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

At least a cop wont destroy all social order and infrastructure, and empower an insane death cult to kill your whole family and turn you into a literal (sex) slave.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's the joke, you tit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

At least a cop wont destroy all social order and infrastructure, and empower an insane death cult to kill your whole family and turn you into a literal (sex) slave.

Cops can kill your family and send you to prison where you will be a slave.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

They probably wont though, as that only happens to a minority. Soldiers will do that to your whole country, everyone you ever met.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kylo Ren is the most interesting Star War character of all time

I'd have agreed until the end of the newest movie when they ruin everything remotely interesting about both him and Rey. Adam Driver is probably one of the best actors to appear in a SW movie though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is that the guy that plays the fish alien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

I've never really cared for Beyonce. From my understanding, she just got lucky being born to well to do and industry connected parents then caught a huge break when Aaliyah and Lisa Lopes died (which were devastating losses) leaving the way 100% clear for her immediately following the break-up of Destiny's Child and goes on to become iconic while crafting some persona over time like she's the second coming of Diana Ross and while I certainly don't hate her nor think she's not good at what she does I just think it's total bullshit. Yet, it's one of those opinions that you can't release because it just seems to be such a hot take so you just get reminded and end up stewing on it and maybe, occasionally find yourself reading Queen B Illuminati conspiracy theories at 2:00am because you think that you may find catharsis there.

That said, this is my favorite Beyonce song :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc