Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Is there a sort of one-stop-shop website for me to go to where I can pick & choose whichever mods I want for whichever stable Minecraft release? I tried to get back into this last year, but any of the modpacks I tried all felt waaay too bloated and kitchen-sinked, so now I'm trying to go along the oldschool route of just installing a few magic and tech mods, plus some quality of life stuff.

I've looked at the curse launcher, but it looks to be similar to the technic launcher, in that it lets me browse finished modpacks. I'm basically looking for something like Aslain's mod manager from WoT, or Nexus Mod Manager from Skyrim.

I really, really want to try the latest Thaumcraft version, plus Mekanism and/or AE, if I recall those mods correctly. But Thaumcraft 5 (?) doesn't appear to be updated to the latest minecraft release, so there's my problem.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is there a sort of one-stop-shop website for me to go to where I can pick & choose whichever mods I want for whichever stable Minecraft release? I tried to get back into this last year, but any of the modpacks I tried all felt waaay too bloated and kitchen-sinked, so now I'm trying to go along the oldschool route of just installing a few magic and tech mods, plus some quality of life stuff.

I've looked at the curse launcher, but it looks to be similar to the technic launcher, in that it lets me browse finished modpacks. I'm basically looking for something like Aslain's mod manager from WoT, or Nexus Mod Manager from Skyrim.

I really, really want to try the latest Thaumcraft version, plus Mekanism and/or AE, if I recall those mods correctly. But Thaumcraft 5 (?) doesn't appear to be updated to the latest minecraft release, so there's my problem.

Any recommendations?

Use the Twitch launcher. (It used to be the curse launcher.) If you make a custom profile, you can add mods piecemeal using a GUI.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Any recommendations?

Thaumcraft 5 died in the rear end on Minecraft version 1.8, a version pretty much nobody else supports or cares about. I'm not really even sure how completed the mod was back then; there was a lot of talk of people being excited about the wireless essentia stuff but I'm still not sure if it ever went anywhere beyond 'it works I guess' before Azanor set his sights on TC6 and then just stopped modding.

Mekanism and AE2 are on 1.12 though, which is the version you really should be using. (1.12.2 to be exact)

Edit: Turns out he's been releasing alpha builds of TC6 on his Patreon pretty regularly, that's interesting.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 1, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Alas, this modpack is neither on any of the mainstream launchers nor the most recent version of Minecraft, but it does looks neat: https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/Homestead

quote:

Homestead is a quest-based hardcore survival pack. Highly inspired by TerraFirmaCraft, it offers a revamped tech tree and new game mechanics.

Focusing initially on wilderness survival, you will progress to mechanical energy for early automation and ultimately learn to harness electrical energy. Different tiers of metals are scattered through the world, and may require unique methods to obtain.

An optional quest book is provided to explain gameplay changes, and to nudge the player in the right direction if they're stuck.

Homestead offers unique mod interactions so the pack feels more cohesive, and less like a "kitchen sink". A custom nutrition system was also written to encourage dietary variety in a realistic setting.

This is a difficult pack, and experience with modded Minecraft is suggested. There are very few "magic blocks"; instead you are provided the tools to assemble and automate your own creations.

Homestead was designed to work as a base for new survival-focused packs. It remains compatible with much of the existing mod ecosystem, and dropping in new mods should work without requiring configuration. Of course, this will affect game balance.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Black Pants posted:

Thaumcraft 5 died in the rear end on Minecraft version 1.8, a version pretty much nobody else supports or cares about. I'm not really even sure how completed the mod was back then; there was a lot of talk of people being excited about the wireless essentia stuff but I'm still not sure if it ever went anywhere beyond 'it works I guess' before Azanor set his sights on TC6 and then just stopped modding.

Mekanism and AE2 are on 1.12 though, which is the version you really should be using. (1.12.2 to be exact)

Edit: Turns out he's been releasing alpha builds of TC6 on his Patreon pretty regularly, that's interesting.

Well, poo poo. Thaumcraft is pretty much what got me into Minecraft modding, and I was hoping for some of that nostalgia feeling.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, poo poo. Thaumcraft is pretty much what got me into Minecraft modding, and I was hoping for some of that nostalgia feeling.

It's not nearly as deep but I'd suggest checking out Astral Sorcery.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thaumcraft is a paid mod now. You can play TC6 if you give him $25 a month on Patreon.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Thaumcraft is a paid mod now. You can play TC6 if you give him $25 a month on Patreon.

Is he planning on releasing it eventually, or does he really think that his mod is worth twice as much as a Humble Monthly subscription? What happens if you unsubscribe?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pubic void nullo posted:

Is he planning on releasing it eventually, or does he really think that his mod is worth twice as much as a Humble Monthly subscription? What happens if you unsubscribe?

It's just for alpha development versions you can get early access to. He's not going to charge for it when it's done. If you unsubscribe you stop getting updates.

You'd think people would know how Patreon works by now.

Edit: it's a 'support me and you'll get to see what I'm working on' deal, not a 'you must pay me to play Thaumcraft' deal, to make it clearer.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 2, 2018

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Meskhenet posted:

A few questions.

I have Mek tanks holding most of my fluids.

I then use thermal dynamic pipes and servo's.

I seem to lose the fluid in my tanks over time.

I originally thought i was losing lava (manyullum casing/combustion set up i havent dismantled) by keeping this (like the thermionic fabricator keeps using power to keep the glass liquid. But i had my latex machines hooked up. I removed the machines, (the machine, the block placer, the extractor) and left a full tank of white latex. Ive gone down that side of the base, and the tank is 8008/1400mb, so a little over half. The other half has disappeared

Is this how it is meant to be?

And my other question.

What are my options for ranged item collection? I have my cursed earth farm collecting blood, but there are lots of items that dont make it to the hoppers.

That's not how it's meant to be, though I've noticed Mekanism being kind of non-optimal with regard to interacting with basically anything else. I don't know of any fluiduct "leak" issue offhand, but if you give me something I can reproduce, I'll take a look. We tested them pretty extensively with our own tanks, but maybe there's somewhere we overlooked and they can be stupid-proofed.

Admittedly, TD is getting a full on rewrite at some point, but I'd still like what we have to work on a basic level without issues like that.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mekanism. My ore quadrupling setup took ages to get working correctly (using TD for everything but gases), and then kept crashing my game every time I went near it. I've since removed a lot of the pipes and just stacked the machines next to each other, which seems to have solved my problems.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

KingLemming posted:

That's not how it's meant to be, though I've noticed Mekanism being kind of non-optimal with regard to interacting with basically anything else. I don't know of any fluiduct "leak" issue offhand, but if you give me something I can reproduce, I'll take a look. We tested them pretty extensively with our own tanks, but maybe there's somewhere we overlooked and they can be stupid-proofed.

Admittedly, TD is getting a full on rewrite at some point, but I'd still like what we have to work on a basic level without issues like that.

Havent had time to check on this. I may in a coming week.

Black Pants posted:

Hit G, scroll down to The End, and then click on Multiblock Setup.

Would be lovely if the version im playing had the guide. When i started it had the guide and was great.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hi Thread,

If I want to play modded minecraft with a friend online, my best bet is to rent a server, right? Besides making sure it has forge, is there anything else I should look for? Can anyone recommend a server host? There's approximately 5 million different hosting options.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
If you're just playing with one other person you can probably host and play on the same machine without having to rent an actual server. I've done so successfully with a number of modpacks (haven't tried with any 1.10+ packs), and neither of the computers are very beefy.

Granted that is on our local network which makes connecting easy, so that may be a factor if you do host yourself.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If you're just playing with one other person you can probably host and play on the same machine without having to rent an actual server. I've done so successfully with a number of modpacks (haven't tried with any 1.10+ packs), and neither of the computers are very beefy.

Granted that is on our local network which makes connecting easy, so that may be a factor if you do host yourself.

Yeah, I just plan to play with one other person, though I would be playing over the internet as opposed to LAN, so I don't know if connecting would be difficult. Specifically I want to play with my ~11 year old cousin, so I want to avoid anything too complicated to connect to.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I used roxservers.com for about a year and they do a good job for small modded servers. Choose the one limited by player count and it's about €3 a month. They'll even install the mods for you if you ask nicely.

Check the billing though, they managed to gently caress up and double charge me for a while. Otherwise they were great.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Most of the complicated stuff is on the hosting end, but even that's not too bad. You'd need to forward ports from your router and look up your outward facing IP address.

I can't help with the first one, but for the second, just type "what is my ip" into Google. Then you should just be able to tell your cousin that plus the port you forwarded from, separated with a colon like x.x.x.x:ppppp.

That should let them connect. If you have any way to connect from outside, like from work or a friend, it could be good to test it out first before having the kid connect just to make sure there wasn't anything you missed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

hamachi also works for making makeshift fake LANs over the internet

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

hamachi also works for making makeshift fake LANs over the internet

Ew, Minecraft servers over Hamachi. That brings back memories of so many server ads on the Technic forums..."Only up when I am so usually from $time to $othertime but idk lol"

Just pay the $3 or so for a small personal server instead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

dragonshardz posted:

Ew, Minecraft servers over Hamachi. That brings back memories of so many server ads on the Technic forums..."Only up when I am so usually from $time to $othertime but idk lol"

Just pay the $3 or so for a small personal server instead.

sure but for two people that know each other IRL it's hardly an inconvenience, it's not like they are going to be playing on the server without each other or anything

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I appreciate the advice, everyone. Ultimately, ~3 dollars a month is low enough for me that I went with server hosting. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get both bukkit (or spigot I guess) and forge working together. Is that even possible?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It costs a lot more than $3 to rent a server with enough memory to run most >1.10 packs. Another good reason to stay on older versions.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Edit: Never mind fixed the issue.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 7, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Blablabla only way to progress quickly in Blood Magic to a Well of Suffering is to stab yourself 5 billion times:

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Mek is just suboptimal everywhere.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sorus posted:

Mek is just suboptimal everywhere.

Its Wind Generators were great in PO2. Osmium armor is great.

Other than that I don't think I've ever touched it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mekanism's got some decent bits. The Atomic Disassembler is a great pickaxe/axe/shovel multitool. The fluid tanks can work as big buckets, and it has the Fluidic Plenisher for being both a pump and for being similar to the old buildcraft floodgate.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mekanism 1.9's steam turbine is vastly superior to the Big/Extreme Reactors one.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Mekanism's got some decent bits. The Atomic Disassembler is a great pickaxe/axe/shovel multitool. The fluid tanks can work as big buckets, and it has the Fluidic Plenisher for being both a pump and for being similar to the old buildcraft floodgate.

Can you enchant or somehow get Fortune on the disassembler?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Can you enchant or somehow get Fortune on the disassembler?

I don't think so. I just like it for basic "breakin' poo poo" use, since it's the right tool for basically everything, and you can put it into a super-fast mode for tearin' poo poo up.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
In 1.12.2, running Rise of the Pack, I've noticed my Mekanism ore quadrupler setup keeps stopping, and it all comes down to the Mekanism pipes. They stop flowing, and the only way to fix it is to break all the pipes and replace them.

I plan on ripping it all out and just chucking a bunch of Thermal furnaces in its place. It's not worth the effort, and I'm at the point where I'm getting enough ore through my void miner and quantum quarry that I don't need to worry about MAXIMUM YIELD any more.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MaliciousOnion posted:

In 1.12.2, running Rise of the Pack, I've noticed my Mekanism ore quadrupler setup keeps stopping, and it all comes down to the Mekanism pipes. They stop flowing, and the only way to fix it is to break all the pipes and replace them.

I plan on ripping it all out and just chucking a bunch of Thermal furnaces in its place. It's not worth the effort, and I'm at the point where I'm getting enough ore through my void miner and quantum quarry that I don't need to worry about MAXIMUM YIELD any more.

Mek's currently got a bad problem with pipes completely dying when they become un-chunkloaded or if you change dimensions. Relogging fixes it. But yes that part is a massive X-mark against it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've only had an issue with a pipe once on my server running the ore quintiplication thing, but it's good to know what caused it. I'll replace them with fluiducts if it happens again I guess.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

I have seen this on older 1.6.4 Thermal expansion, if the pipes go over a chunk border (F9 twice to see the chunks in most packs) then due to the mod author using a global static to calculate the networks it crashes the moment any multi threading is involved (like most servers use)

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I've had a ton of issues with TE servos and Mek pipes in MSB2. The servos have been the worst though.
It's usually the same ones too, I'll break them, get them working, leave and come back and it will have stopped again. Chunkloaded with different methods, not chunkloaded, crossing chunks, all in the same chunk, nothing seems to make a difference.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I've been getting the itch to get back into things, and specifically to play with the Direwolf20 pack (with Mekanism added, because Industrialcraft is garbage). Is the Twitch launcher no longer a dumpster fire? I'd rather use the Technic launcher, but even if there's 1.12 packs on there, there's no way to sort by Minecraft version, and it's certainly not going to have the Direwolf pack.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't like twitch launcher, get multimc, go into settings and set it to update to development version, that version supports curse modpacks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Truga posted:

If you don't like twitch launcher, get multimc, go into settings and set it to update to development version, that version supports curse modpacks.

I havent updated to the new version. Will it keep all my other stuff? I ask this because i used to have a bunch of ftb packs that got wiped when i upgraded to the version that no longer supported ftb.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No idea about that, sorry. Maybe just make another multimc install and test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

I havent updated to the new version. Will it keep all my other stuff? I ask this because i used to have a bunch of ftb packs that got wiped when i upgraded to the version that no longer supported ftb.

I always thought MultiMC just slapped itself on your hard disk wherever you dumped it so you should be able to just setup another copy somewhere.

Now that feels odd: having two versions of the same program that manages multiple versions of modpacks.