Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

That's fine and all but the problem is I'm not sure we'd be able to spot him even if we did stand up and walk around. He could easily shoot his silenced gun from the grass and we'd never get a chance to see him (that is exactly what happened when I eventually got tired of waiting and tried to look for him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

That's fine and all but the problem is I'm not sure we'd be able to spot him even if we did stand up and walk around. He could easily shoot his silenced gun from the grass and we'd never get a chance to see him (that is exactly what happened when I eventually got tired of waiting and tried to look for him).

If you're proned in one of the last circles then you're at a severe disadvantage if you don't know exactly where the enemy is, you're facing him, he's exactly one person and he doesn't know you're there. You can't look around freely while proned, you have a tight angle of view. Unless you're positioned on purpose in such a way that guarantees your victory because you're on the high ground and the enemy can't reach you and will die to the blue or something, you have no win condition while randomly proned, people will just run around and murder everyone who's lying on the grass. If you two split sides one of you should at least be able to see where the shooting is coming from and he should not be able to kill you and your friend at the same time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elman posted:

Crawl in the grass until area is small enough that you are confident you can spot the enemy standing up, the stand up both simultaneously. If that's scary, spend all your grenades in random directions before standing up. Of course, load up on every booster you have too.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Crawl in the grass until area is small enough that you are confident you can spot the enemy standing up, the stand up both simultaneously. If that's scary, spend all your grenades in random directions before standing up. Of course, load up on every booster you have too.

I'm not always a fan of throwing grenades in those situations since that could give your position away while the chance of hitting a nade isn't that high. Sometimes though if I haven't located the last enemy I'll throw any grenade in a random direction to bait him in to throwing one too in the hope that I'll spot where it's coming from.

That said in FPP I hate circles ending in wheat fields, especially if I get there late and have to lay down to med up. I just want to stay standing looking for the snakes.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 5, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I'm not always a fan of throwing grenades in those situations since that could give your position away while the chance of hitting a nade isn't that high. Sometimes though if I haven't located the last enemy I'll throw any grenade in a random direction to bait him in to throwing one too in the hope that I'll spot where it's coming from.

That said in FPP I hate circles ending in wheat fields, especially if I get there late and have to lay down to med up. I just want to stay standing looking for the snakes.

In open field circles I usually don't bother with them either, unless I have a bunch of frag grenades and know general direction of the target. Still could be useful, especially if you have smoke grenades, to just poo poo the play field up a bit if you are not sure about pushing in whoever is left.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In open field circles I usually don't bother with them either, unless I have a bunch of frag grenades and know general direction of the target. Still could be useful, especially if you have smoke grenades, to just poo poo the play field up a bit if you are not sure about pushing in whoever is left.

Smokes actually seem like a good idea to give yourself some cover while you stand up. I'm gonna try that next time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is a common misconception but no. the objective is to make as many other people lose as possible. winning is the icing on the cake

yeah this is how i've always played. if i get some knocks and know their teammates are gonna get me, i'll finish them off just to ruin their game.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
The next map should be kart races ala Mario Cart. Instead of shells you have grenades and everyone has three balloons on their back.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Or the next map should be on the moon.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Crawling is really bad, unless you like getting headshot twice. The unfortunate exception is a wheat field battle in the last 2 circles.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The only thing worse than crawling is running, being sniped at and then going prone in response

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Mash posted:

The only thing worse than crawling is running, being sniped at and then going prone in response

free headshots, prone is pretty much useless in this game unless you know 100% no one has a sight line from more than 100 meters away. So easy to pick people off who are prone on some distant hill.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

my suggestion for field endings: bring a jeep. I can attribute 3 chicken dinners to this strategy and one 2nd place finish because I abandoned it prematurely.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Tweak posted:

my suggestion for field endings: bring a jeep. I can attribute 3 chicken dinners to this strategy and one 2nd place finish because I abandoned it prematurely.

Also on this point: you can shoot the tires out to lower it and protect your precious feet. You might also want to shoot it till it explodes at a convenient time so that it won't explode on you later when you're using it for critical cover.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Varkas posted:

Also on this point: you can shoot the tires out to lower it and protect your precious feet. You might also want to shoot it till it explodes at a convenient time so that it won't explode on you later when you're using it for critical cover.

I got my first ever chicken dinner by unloading into a Jeep a guy was taking cover behind in the last circle. Feels good man.

Also I got second in solo squad yesterday in which there were 4 people left alive and 3 of them were on the same squad. I lost count of how many frags they threw trying to find me but they did eventually hit me with one. I was able to knock 1 outta 3 before I died so I didn't feel like a complete dipshit.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dWDFDUF8s

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

I知 sure they値l fix all of these shortcomings in PUBG 2: The Rubberbandening

e: have they ever said why Unreal engine was chosen (I知 guessing initial cost and/or prior experience with it)? While it obviously has some positives, the nature of what they wanted to build - 99 people online in 8x8km FPS - seems like it痴 not ideal for UE.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 6, 2018

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

sticksy posted:

I知 sure they値l fix all of these shortcomings in PUBG 2: The Rubberbandening

e: have they ever said why Unreal engine was chosen (I知 guessing initial cost and/or prior experience with it)? While it obviously has some positives, the nature of what they wanted to build - 99 people online in 8x8km FPS - seems like it痴 not ideal for UE.

Yea why wouldn't they just go the DayZ route and spend 5 years building a whole new engine???

I mean yeah you can say it's not ideal but they are the ones with $100M+ in the bank and the most popular game in the world

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

Yea why wouldn't they just go the DayZ route and spend 5 years building a whole new engine???

I mean yeah you can say it's not ideal but they are the ones with $100M+ in the bank and the most popular game in the world

$100m+? Try closer to a billion at this rate. The game has sold 25 million copies on PC alone.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

fletcher posted:

Such is the advantage of being in a genre with low expectations.

It does mean whoever comes at them as a competitor will have to raise the bar again though, so hey, all the better. Rome wasn't built in a day.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Party Plane Jones posted:

$100m+? Try closer to a billion at this rate. The game has sold 25 million copies on PC alone.

I'd be surprised if it was close to a billion. Not every copy is being sold for $30 and they are probably spending a shitload on Azure. They could be sitting on a few hundred million for sure tho

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine the choice to not build their own engine occurred before the game sold that much

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imo pubg being a laggy, bugged out piece of poo poo is part of the charm

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The only time I really notice pubgs technical limitations are in the first minute of the match, after that she's Gucci, it runs pretty well

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah no, it runs like complete poo poo and it's terrible that it's become this successful while being unfinished, unoptimized garbage.

It's still fun cause it's a really good formula, but I do hope they'll pull their poo poo together. Or if they won't, that someone else will.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Elman posted:

someone else

You misspelled Blizzard.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I imagine the choice to not build their own engine occurred before the game sold that much

They made the smart choice not to deal with Unity's bullshit at least.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
This game is full of chinese hackers and it saps all the fun out of it. Full stop.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rabbi Tupac posted:

This game is full of chinese hackers and it saps all the fun out of it. Full stop.
:goonsay:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Elentor posted:

The best part of replays is seeing all the crazy shenanigans going around you.

* Solo guy who was trigger-happy and shot every bush and tree without discretion, died to an actual guy in his field of view next to him.
* Squad of 3 people who couldn't stop shooting at each other, tossing molotovs and what not. From my PoV some incredible clash between 3 squads was going on in the distance, when I watched the replay it was so weird to see it was just 3 dudes goofing around.
* Solo guy really bored shooting at the air to get some attention and maybe find potential targets got what he wanted in the form of a sniper headshot.
* Someone with a medkit, a lot of first aids and a syringe who really overextended outside one of the final zones, miraculously found a bike along the way, got out of the blue zone and drove all the way to the center of the circle, got riddled with bullets from all sides.

https://plays.tv/s/L_0BHY3piTZ-

Proning is really good guys idk what you池e talking about.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
haha when you're defaulting to AS and you don't realize it for four or five matches

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I just played a game where there were 20+ vehicles. I've never seen half that many in one game before.

lol if you don't think that's true you haven't been playing lately.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

You're an idiot or too bad to get matched with them

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

underage at the vape shop posted:

No it's gotta be racism.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

haha when you're defaulting to AS and you don't realize it for four or five matches

Usually at about the third chicken dinner in a row you figure it out.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Smythe posted:

imo pubg being a laggy, bugged out piece of poo poo is part of the charm

I made this point to my friend the other day, but today I fired up BF1 for the first time in a while and I realized I wanted pubg to run like that. So smooth and responsive.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

i'm top 100 and i've seen one (1) hacker in 300 hours of play.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 6, 2018

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

my guess is that the ruthless oriental cheaters only target tpp servers, which seem to be populated by racist people who are bad at games so in a sense it's karmic justice

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Odobenidae posted:

my guess is that the ruthless oriental cheaters only target tpp servers, which seem to be populated by racist people who are bad at games so in a sense it's karmic justice

Choco was playing duos a couple days ago and his partner Boom got killed by the most shameless cheater who Choco specifically called out as a cheater ~5 minutes before this death when they tried to snipe Boom through a mountain with that regular tap-tap-tap. Boom just bailed from the first engagement, chose to pass on an Orange Dacia that the cheaters ended up taking to get up to that compound ahead of him and sure enough the cheater just kind of tracks him through a wall, through trees and tap-tap-tap dead.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbnegateExuberantSwanShadyLulu

and today his squad got killed by this guy:

https://pubg.op.gg/user/PostMacrone?server=na

it was pretty suspicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://plays.tv/video/5a5085ec35360e8936/ultrahacked

It'd be nice if they weren't just completely and utterly obvious about it.