Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I saw TLJ. I left feeling underwhelmed, while my wife loved it. I suspect being a giant Star Wars nerd dampened things down for me and prevented me from really enjoying the escapism. Most of it were either plot holes or really odd contrivances (like the bomb-dropping button at the top of the ladder). To be honest the story itself didn't really resonate with me. I thought the stuff with Skywalker's history with Kylo Ren was good, and I really enjoyed the way Kylo Ren killed Snoke, but overall it felt a bit too long and dragged on. They could have deleted the entire gambling planet and I don't feel anything would have been lost. Probably the biggest example of how terrible I am at enjoying new Star Wars movies was in the suicide run scene[/url]. I loved the cinematography and thought the combination of epic visuals and [spoiler]complete silence was amazing, but the fact that they did it at all really bothered me. I mean if you can turn your ship into a superluminal kinetic energy weapon just by turning in the hyperdrive then why not do it all the time?

I imagine if I saw it again and just accepted that the things I didn't like were things I'm not going to like and instead focused on the story I probably would enjoy it more. I agree that Rogue One was more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maz is Impa

Yoda is Old Man

Next episode Rey is gonna find the master saber on Naboo

His name is Gwonam.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Also the bird things look like my cat somehow

Sounds as though TLJ marketing didn't do its job well enough

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tenzarin posted:

So its just another lame movie trope I guess.

Star Wars referencing other movies? Well I never!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Lord Hydronium posted:

Star Wars referencing other movies? Well I never!

The First Order is actually SMERSH.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anakin coming back to Tatooine to free all the slaves after obtaining his Jedi training would have been a cool plot thread to explore.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blue Star posted:

I just think clarity is important too, and is the situation all that clear? Like, why is the Trade Federation blockading Naboo, exactly? What treaty do they want Padme to sign, and what for? Maybe there's a reason that i missed, and maybe it's SUPPOSED to be opaque. I don't know.

The Trade Federation is the corporation-planet that delivers food to Naboo, since Naboo’s a resort-planet (built around a lucrative mining facility) with no real agriculture.

Naboo substantially raised the taxes it charges on imports, confident that the Jedi would step in and force the T-Feds to pay. (This is glossed over to downplay the fact that Naboo is the aggressor in the conflict, since the story is told from the Jedi point of view.)

Nobody expected the T-Feds to stand their ground, but they did. The treaty they’re pushing would end the war (and the blockade) by granting the T-Feds legal ownership of the planet.

The point is that Amidala is stuck between giving up control of the planet right away, or watching people slowly starve while waiting for the Republic to step in.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I saw TLJ. I left feeling underwhelmed, while my wife loved it. I suspect being a giant Star Wars nerd dampened things down for me and prevented me from really enjoying the escapism. Most of it were either plot holes or really odd contrivances (like the bomb-dropping button at the top of the ladder). To be honest the story itself didn't really resonate with me. I thought the stuff with Skywalker's history with Kylo Ren was good, and I really enjoyed the way Kylo Ren killed Snoke, but overall it felt a bit too long and dragged on. They could have deleted the entire gambling planet and I don't feel anything would have been lost. Probably the biggest example of how terrible I am at enjoying new Star Wars movies was in the suicide run scene[/url]. I loved the cinematography and thought the combination of epic visuals and [spoiler]complete silence was amazing, but the fact that they did it at all really bothered me. I mean if you can turn your ship into a superluminal kinetic energy weapon just by turning in the hyperdrive then why not do it all the time?

I imagine if I saw it again and just accepted that the things I didn't like were things I'm not going to like and instead focused on the story I probably would enjoy it more. I agree that Rogue One was more enjoyable.

I saw it last night. It was a bad movie. I can't imagine why you think seeing it again would allow you to enjoy it more; the more I think about it, the worse I think of it. The plot was insulting drivel. I thought Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega all had much stronger performances in Episode VII, which I was only a very mild fan of. I liked Mark Hamill, Benicio del Toro, and Oscar Isaac in this one. Other than them, it was basically forgettable trash.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

Anakin coming back to Tatooine to free all the slaves after obtaining his Jedi training would have been a cool plot thread to explore.

They explore it in as much as it's made clear that Jedi training precludes him from doing anything like that.

When we see him in AotC he is shackled by rules and nagging. He has a full-time caretaker reeling him in. Travelling to Tatooine is one of the first things he does after getting free from Obi-Wan.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Leaked script draft from episode 9

Kylo: I am now as powerful as Darth Vader, but I have so many questions. You will take me to my mother and she WILL answer me.

C-3P0: I do beg your pardon sir, but if I can assist you in any way, I will gladly tell you about Anakin Skywalker

(Kylo snarls and lifts 3P0 up with the force)
Kylo: What do you know of Darth Vader, Droid?

C-3P0: So glad you asked, sir. I was in fact constructed by lord Anakin. I served his mother and later him. I officiated his wedding!

Kylo: What?

C-3P0: I do not have the capacity to lie, sir.

Kylo: That's stupid.

(the ghost of Yoda appears)

Yoda: Stupid perhaps, but nonetheless true.

Kylo: You're Yoda? You trained my uncle!

Chewbacca: Hey I know that guy

Yoda: Hello Chewbacca

Kylo: Why would you know Yoda?

Yoda: Know me he just does. Weird about it, nothing there is.

Chewbacca: I never mentioned I knew the Jedi master?

Kylo: No... Wait you traveled with my dad for years when he didn't even believe in the force but you know Yoda?

Chewbacca: Yeah.

Kylo: How loving old are you even?

Chewbacca: shrug

*editors note: translated from Wookiee

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Leaked script draft from episode 9

Kylo: I am now as powerful as Darth Vader, but I have so many questions. You will take me to my mother and she WILL answer me.

C-3P0: I do beg your pardon sir, but if I can assist you in any way, I will gladly tell you about Anakin Skywalker

(Kylo snarls and lifts 3P0 up with the force)
Kylo: What do you know of Darth Vader, Droid?

C-3P0: So glad you asked, sir. I was in fact constructed by lord Anakin. I served his mother and later him. I officiated his wedding!

Kylo: What?

C-3P0: I do not have the capacity to lie, sir.

Kylo: That's stupid.

(the ghost of Yoda appears)

Yoda: Stupid perhaps, but nonetheless true.

Kylo: You're Yoda? You trained my uncle!

Chewbacca: Hey I know that guy

Yoda: Hello Chewbacca

Chewbacca: I never mentioned I knew the Jedi master?

Kylo: No... Wait you traveled with my dad for years when he didn't even believe in the force but you know Yoda?

Chewbacca: Yeah.

Kylo: How loving old are you even?

Chewbacca: shrug

*editors note: translated from Wookiee

Lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's possible that Chewbacca never saw Yoda do anything overtly magical

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chewbacca fought alongside Yoda and observed the power of Jedi Knights directly.

Han didn't disbelieve that the Jedi had powers, though he did dismiss them as "a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense" and thought the training was hokey. Rather, he didn't believe in their religion. Specifically, he denied that any mystical energy field controlled his destiny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
C3PO had his mind erased after Episode 3, Anakin wasn’t a lord, C3PO lies frequently, nobody living knows that Yoda ran the Jedi kindergarten, space ghosts only appear to people who knew them, Yoda never cared whether what he said was true, and Han fully understood that Jedis were a thing - he simply didn’t believe that they were chosen by God.

Also Chewbacca doesn’t give a gently caress.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

C3PO had his mind erased after Episode 3, Anakin wasn’t a lord, C3PO lies frequently, nobody living knows that Yoda ran the Jedi kindergarten, space ghosts only appear to people who knew them, Yoda never cared whether what he said was true, and Han fully understood that Jedis were a thing - he simply didn’t believe that they were chosen by God.

Also Chewbacca doesn’t give a gently caress.

Those episode 9 writers really need to get their canon straight.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

JJ Abrams did say that Episode 9 will tie in all 8 movies together.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The MSJ posted:

I'm looking forward to the return of Ki-Adi-Mundi. No one ever took his pulse to confirm he was dead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean if you can urn your ship into a superluminal kinetic energy weapon just by turning in the hyperdrive then why not do it all the time?

The movie gave me the impression that that isn't something you can just do willy nilly but that it takes some time to coordinate and set up just right to actually cause damage, otherwise you could end up with a less helpful situation when entering hyperspace like the Rebel ships popping into Vader's star destroyer and getting obliterated themselves in Rogue One. Also I do think the running retreat the rebellion was going through was a huge part of why it worked. Like if they were in battle the cruiser would have been gunned down easily long before it was able to actually pull off anything fancy. It seems like a shields/lasers in Dune situation where it's a very very very situational and chancy thing you typically wouldn't want to mess with or would even pop into one's mind because it's so stupid. Like the First Order crew does realize what's happening but it doesn't occur to them until it's too late, so it's not like the concept is unknown to them, just that it's not something someone would normally do ever.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I’m skeptical

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode IX will tie all 8 movies together by having C3PO in it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's the key to all this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

1)C3PO had his mind erased after Episode 3, 2)Anakin wasn’t a lord,
3)C3PO lies frequently,
4)nobody living knows that Yoda ran the Jedi kindergarten,
5)space ghosts only appear to people who knew them,
6)Yoda never cared whether what he said was true, and
7)Han fully understood that Jedis were a thing - he simply didn’t believe that they were chosen by God.

8)Also Chewbacca doesn’t give a gently caress.

1) So did R2 presumably, didn't seem to stick
2) butlers sometimed refer to little kids as Lord so and so
3) he lied about not being able to tell a lie
4) C3P0, Leia, Chewbacca, Lobot, and 4-Lom know
5) Where was this ever stated in the text of any of the films?
6) Yoda clearly didn't care much in this scene either
7) Did he though?
8) That's why he is taking like a stoner here

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

1) So did R2 presumably, didn't seem to stick
2) butlers sometimed refer to little kids as Lord so and so
3) he lied about not being able to tell a lie
4) C3P0, Leia, Chewbacca, Lobot, and 4-Lom know
5) Where was this ever stated in the text of any of the films?
6) Yoda clearly didn't care much in this scene either
7) Did he though?
8) That's why he is taking like a stoner here

*Nods harder and harder as I go through this post until by the end I'm jumping up and down headbanging*

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Only C-3PO's mind was specifically wiped. Bail gave the two droids to Captain Antilles and instructed him to have the protocol droid's memory erased. The terminology that C-3PO uses is "Master," not "Lord."

Although no ghost has ever appeared to someone who didn't know them in life, the dead have communicated with strangers in other means; Obi-Wan's voice was heard during Rey's vision when she touched Anakin's lightsaber.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

IIRC C3PO had his memory returned when he heard the codeword "Alderaan" in Leia's message, but still retained his friendship and respect for Luke that he developed while amnesiac.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He got his memory back when he saw Vader on Bespin and made a will save

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who ever asks “if you could do a thing why couldn’t they do it all the time” is a huge idiot and shouldn’t be allowed to watch movies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

Who ever asks “if you could do a thing why couldn’t they do it all the time” is a huge idiot and shouldn’t be allowed to watch movies.

The "just switch your brain off" argument is evolving.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, it’s not thinking. It’s just whining.

“new idea? Disgusting. I will not stand for such things!”

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
But seriously I'm already enjoying watching people switch from It's Extremely Good That Rey Came From Nothing As It Subverts The Force to Actually, Ren Was Lying, We Don't Know She Is Rey Nobody.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

CelticPredator posted:

Why didn’t the hobbits just ride the eagles? These movies suck.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I saw TLJ. I left feeling underwhelmed, while my wife loved it. I suspect being a giant Star Wars nerd dampened things down for me and prevented me from really enjoying the escapism. ....... They could have deleted the entire gambling planet and I don't feel anything would have been lost.

I think this will be the biggest sticking point when I recommend this to my friends. finn and rose and Poe go with the stupidest and riskiest plan possible. The whole thing is a 45 minute waste of time. But I enjoyed the hell out of it. Watching stupid people fail can make good movie moments too. It’s not that “only stupid people would think this is good” but rather that we know it’s bad and we still enjoy it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's not a waste of time though. It's a disaster. The culmination of their plot is the resistance being annihilated which wouldn't have happened if they handnt brought do along.

It's much too long and the falthiers scene can go in the bin but it's an important bit thematically.

As for the ram, word of God (Pablo) seems to be you need a huge ship to pull it of because magic space physics so it's not really a realistic option.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Billzasilver posted:

Mordor had an air force. Those movies suck.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

sassassin posted:

Mordor had an air force. Those movies suck.

Pffft Mordor has a ground force too

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Billzasilver posted:

Eagles are assholes, worse than horses

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wild Horses posted:

Eagles are assholes, worse than horses

oglaf_eagle_eating_hobbit.jpg

starkebn fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 6, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Guessed 6/6 spoiler tags before even clicking on them.

Only thing missing is the complaint about Mary Poppins.

Star Wars fans are the worst.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AndyElusive posted:

Guessed 6/6 spoiler tags before even clicking on them.

Only thing missing is the complaint about Mary Poppins.

Star Wars fans are the worst.

Did his complaints not subvert your expectations enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The rest of the movie everyone thinks that it is incredibly weird.

quote:

It's weird to me that people are asking why people don't just kill themselves to win fights regularly using the things they only have like one of.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 6, 2018