Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

edit: and obviously only against bosses with a weakness she can hit.

The only time Celes is your best option for a team is if you need Runic or if you’re hitting a weakness. If you need Runic and aren’t hitting weakness you want a gauge materia on her almost always so it doesn’t fall off.

If you’re hitting weakness, Scholar’s Boon turns her into a blender. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

What are materia that people don't use properly/aren't aware of?

I've really been digging Amarants start with last stand RM4 on my trance dived mages

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize how good the AoE attack / instant attack RMs were for mindless orb farming. Cuts the time by like 2/3rds.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Alright, another no-healer sub 30 team! This time for Shadow Dragon. Takes advantage of the 2000HP stock from WoL's chain, Ceodore's BSB and Enkidu to go with no healer. I'm still not sure how to bypass the first black fang, so Tyro remains the sacrifice.

Onion Man: VoF > Wrath x2 > Entrust Ceodore > Wrath x1-2 > Entrust WoL
Ceodore: Shellga > Lifesiphon x2-3 > USB > BSB > CMD1
Cid Raines: Wrath > Memento Mori Tyro if he's not at lowest HP, otherwise keep Wrathing > BSB > CMD1 spam
Tyro: RW Wall (instant) > Entrust WoL (instant) > Boost WoL > RIP
WoL: Lifesiphon until people build up some guage > CSB > Divine Cross > USB/OSB whatever

That puts me at 6/8 done for sub 30s, just Bismarck and Golem are left.

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 5, 2018

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize how good the AoE attack / instant attack RMs were for mindless orb farming. Cuts the time by like 2/3rds.

But... but... the double XP RMs!

*looks at the over 1100 4* eggs and 600 5* eggs collecting dust in his inventory*

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
^ Yeah I'd rather get double EXP chances and just keep following a million Shadow BSB RWs.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

jebeebus posted:

I'm still not sure how to bypass the first black fang

Shelke

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
If I can manage to sub 30 all the magicites without Shelke, then I refuse to dive her :colbert:

Tyro with LMR is almost as good.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

:smuggo:

On to Holy and Dark!

Diving Shadow was an astoundingly good idea.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
That Valigarmanda rebirth fight was really fun once you know the gimmick. Ace and Aphmau were two characters I've never used before

Exdeath USB
Ace BSB
Rikku USB
Aphmau BSB
Tyro SG

RW: Mog USB

Could've made shorter work of it too if I had put chain firaga on Ace since Exdeath's runic kept meltdown topped up. Aphmau ended up contributing a decent amount of damage with his BSB too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

fridge corn posted:

That Valigarmanda rebirth fight was really fun once you know the gimmick. Ace and Aphmau were two characters I've never used before

Exdeath USB
Ace BSB
Rikku USB
Aphmau BSB
Tyro SG

RW: Mog USB

Could've made shorter work of it too if I had put chain firaga on Ace since Exdeath's runic kept meltdown topped up. Aphmau ended up contributing a decent amount of damage with his BSB too.

I like Aphmau more as I use him. If he can hang on as a main-healer with his BSB, you can pull some crazy good mage DPS lineups.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Aphmau's a she. :wink:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

jebeebus posted:

^ Yeah I'd rather get double EXP chances and just keep following a million Shadow BSB RWs.

I use those when I'm EXP farming, but for regular orb runs there's not much point. Though admittedly, having only 2 stages now means relying completely on RWs is a thing.

I'm spoiled though, I've got like half of the characters in the game at lvl 99 and literally hundreds of every egg type socked away, so I don't really care much about character EXP anymore.

edit: Also I'm not even sure why I specifically said "for farming orbs" since I use those AoE RMs much more frequently to just churn through the normal dungeons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I decided to try out the FFI 300 torment dungeon since using my newly chain-having WoL would fulfill the CM giving me the last spirit motes I need to complete my Raines dive.

I was a bit worried since I got through the 250 difficulty by stalling to build SB during the trash rounds to to take care of the other trash; most of my 5* and 6* abilities are R1. So only 3 SBs on my DPS guys would actually be a downgrade. I was planning how I was going to ration my SBs and hones to make it to the boss with enough bar to actually kill him. "Well I can start with a metamorphosis which out to be good for the first two rounds, then I can take care of the next with holy chain and aegis strikes, and if I follow up with Knight Combo the buff ought to last to the beginning of the boss at least..." Then I start and see that the 300 difficulty has no trash waves and just roll over the boss effortlessly.

Marche's SSB was surprisingly clutch for the 200 and 250 difficulties. Medica/Esunaga that can be used while silenced since instead of casting a spell he's just looking at a sepia toned boy in a wheelchair.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Dived Raines and Shadow are really good guys.

Not sure what I could do to lower my time on this one though. I'll have to experiment.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Kuja: Spams Dark Zone and his OSB when available
Kefka: Uses wall, then spams OSB, uses Morbid Countdown when waiting for gauge
Garnet: Uses Enveloping Warmth SSB (Magic and Res+, HP stock 3000) and then Allegro Con Moto, then Mage's Song twice, then Allegro Con Moto, then more Mage's Hymn or SSB if I need the HP stock.
Eiko: USB for the haste, Shellga, Heal
Shelke: Entrusts to Kefka to fuel OSB spam.

I got a whiteknuckled 29 second clear with this team with Garnet using Allegro Con Moto and Ultima Weapon, and then I swapped out Ultima Weapon for Mage's Hymn, and shaved my clear down to an easy 25 seconds. With the 29 second clear, Mist Dragon would go into mist form right at the very end and I'd have to be very careful to fire off my OSBs at just the right moment. With Mage's Hymn, Kuja and Kefka's damage ramps up significantly (Kuja's Dark Zone went from 6k*4 to 8k*4, both OSBs increased by about 15000 points a hit), and Garnet only has time to cast it 2 or 3 times.

Holy crap Bard skills are really good now.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2018

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

The Moon Monster posted:

I decided to try out the FFI 300 torment dungeon since using my newly chain-having WoL would fulfill the CM giving me the last spirit motes I need to complete my Raines dive.

I was a bit worried since I got through the 250 difficulty by stalling to build SB during the trash rounds to to take care of the other trash; most of my 5* and 6* abilities are R1. So only 3 SBs on my DPS guys would actually be a downgrade. I was planning how I was going to ration my SBs and hones to make it to the boss with enough bar to actually kill him. "Well I can start with a metamorphosis which out to be good for the first two rounds, then I can take care of the next with holy chain and aegis strikes, and if I follow up with Knight Combo the buff ought to last to the beginning of the boss at least..." Then I start and see that the 300 difficulty has no trash waves and just roll over the boss effortlessly.

Marche's SSB was surprisingly clutch for the 200 and 250 difficulties. Medica/Esunaga that can be used while silenced since instead of casting a spell he's just looking at a sepia toned boy in a wheelchair.

Yep, the 300 Torments are just a mindless fun reward for surviving the 250. Even the Cid missions to bring 1-3 characters from the Torment's realm for bonus 5-star motes are very achievable if you have a couple extremely powerful characters to carry some dead weight.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So how do the hyms work? They stack 10% a turn each right?

But they dont stack with just faithgas right since they're both + Mag

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yep, the 300 Torments are just a mindless fun reward for surviving the 250. Even the Cid missions to bring 1-3 characters from the Torment's realm for bonus 5-star motes are very achievable if you have a couple extremely powerful characters to carry some dead weight.

This week's 300 torment is actually pretty challenging compared to most of them. I've got decent FFT synergy (Ramza USB+Chant, Marche BSB, Ovelia USB) + a dived 99 Cid Raines BSB for a heap of holy AOE and it still took me a few tries.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I got some decent stuff recently...

Terra USB (dupe)
Lightning USB
Aphineauadad BSB
Yuffie BSB2
Locke OSB (dupe)
Tifa USB

That last terra usb was such a boner killer, I dollar pulled it hoping I'd get a locke item... Same with that Locke OSB, it was my 3rd one...

--

Should I combine one of the locke OSB's? Should I combine the terra USB's?
I recently dove terra, and all I got was her USB. I think that was a decent investment.

--

I got enough 5* motes for maybe 1.5 dives (136 spirit, 133 dex, 171 vit, 233 wisdom, 161 bravery).
Recently legend dove...
Terra - USB
Lightning (I have all her stuff save for her OSB and BSB2)
Noctis Pecil (half dive'd) - SSB
Marche - BSB, LMR (The knight damage one?)

Should I finish diving Marche? I didn't realize Marche has a lovely ATK/MND party buff on his BSB, and he can hit like a truck on my holy team.

--

What do you guys think of Vayne (SSB with party instacast) + Noctis on a team together? Vayne looks good on paper, but that BSB is miserable

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Shoenin posted:

So how do the hyms work? They stack 10% a turn each right?

But they dont stack with just faithgas right since they're both + Mag

They stack with everything, they have their own unique buff ids. Otherwise they'd decrease my damage because they'd override the buff from memento mori.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Flavahbeast posted:

This week's 300 torment is actually pretty challenging compared to most of them. I've got decent FFT synergy (Ramza USB+Chant, Marche BSB, Ovelia USB) + a dived 99 Cid Raines BSB for a heap of holy AOE and it still took me a few tries.

Yeah I finished it but didn't master with Mustadio BSB/Pentabreak, Ramza Shout/BSB, Agrias BSB, Orlandu BSB/OSB, and Yshtola. Think some buffs fell off right at the end and he nuked me pretty hard and killed 3 people.

Going to try again with Raines in place of probably Orlandu.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah this one was surprisingly rough. I tried to swap in Orlandeau for the extra bonus motes but after a couple tries ended up going back to Firion/Ramza/Y'shtola/Cid Raines/Warrior of Light to get it over with.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
They stack with Other Buffs of exact same usage?

Great Googily moogily

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Flavahbeast posted:

The one fight in the game where Aegis Strike doesn't feel like a complete waste of a 6-star ability!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Subvisual Haze posted:

The one fight in the game where Aegis Strike doesn't feel like a complete waste of a 6-star ability!

How so? Just because you're gonna have a lot of knights?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bruceski posted:

How so? Just because you're gonna have a lot of knights?

It's an AoE Holy ability in a fight where AoE Holy is highly prioritized. You want to rush down those Archies as quick as possible.

In my case, it took three casts of Agrias BSB under a RW'd Cloud USB, so I didn't feel a lot of need to make Aegis Strike, but if you lack a good multi-target burst to use for that, it can do some work.

I assume Madeen will do some work here too, if you've honed it up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

I was able to beat it pretty easily using using Cloud USB RW on Marche, but I don't know if I'd have been able to take any dead weight characters for the third CM.

Didn't manage to master the 250 either. Did anyone actually kill the adds for this fight? They just have so much HP...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Agrias bsb takes care of the adds almost entirely by itself

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I looked at potential mythril haul and thought now would be a good time to pull on the FFVI banner

At least it’s an extra +10 boost in stats.

Never pull.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Always never not pull, hope this helps

Namaste.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Armitage posted:

At least it’s an extra +10 boost in stats.

Never pull.

Did you already have her LMR? It is very much worth using. I'd chase it if I didn't have so many dupes.

I agree that Sabin's SSB isn't anything to be excited about.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did you already have her LMR? It is very much worth using. I'd chase it if I didn't have so many dupes.

I agree that Sabin's SSB isn't anything to be excited about.

I do like the chance at a dualcast, but it's for fire spells, and there are gonna be enough times where i use Terra and not use fire spells. It's good when I need to use fire spells, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
really hungry for a fat rear end mythril gift atm, i'm so tapped and there's so much good stuff in the pipeline

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Armitage posted:

I do like the chance at a dualcast, but it's for fire spells, and there are gonna be enough times where i use Terra and not use fire spells. It's good when I need to use fire spells, though.

Use it in place of her LM1, it is pretty much a straight upgrade, especially with Meltdown.

25% double cast fire is so much better than additive 10% increased fire damage.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I got Terra USB and already had her OSB and BSB1, is it an automatic full dive for her, even if I already sub-30 the relevant Magicite?

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

bilperkins2 posted:

I got Terra USB and already had her OSB and BSB1, is it an automatic full dive for her, even if I already sub-30 the relevant Magicite?

I wouldn't say automatic in that case. I use TGC's rm with her usb to get the double casts speed boost without the stat buff and it still wrecks. It can be better but you can also spend your motes on other things... Or hoard them and get no use from them like I do.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

Do you like the idea of spending more time figuring out how to deal exactly enough damage to trigger her trance than it takes to complete the actual fight?

She does amazing damage with trance, USB, and meltdown. Her OSB plus double stacked fastcast makes her one of the best entrust targets for spamming OSBs.

Setting it up is miserable though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
First sub 30 ever. It was totally RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Do you like the idea of spending more time figuring out how to deal exactly enough damage to trigger her trance than it takes to complete the actual fight?

She does amazing damage with trance, USB, and meltdown. Her OSB plus double stacked fastcast makes her one of the best entrust targets for spamming OSBs.

Setting it up is miserable though.

Someone on reddit just made a spreadsheet for calculating exactly this! Punch in the numbers and it generates a list of abilities you can use to trigger trance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7ohnen/spreadsheet_to_calculate_trance_triggers/

• Locked thread