Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

I've always kinda liked what I saw of her. She's got the same arrogance as most of the people in those circles, but I feel like she gets called out on it way more because she's a woman (and she also isn't afraid to point out the sexist double standards involved in those that do so which riles people up even more)

Knowing her personally, and knowing what she's like, it's hardly surprising that she's pretty much alienated everyone and has opted to apparently burn bridges. She's arrogant, violently intolerant of any opinion that doesn't resemble her own (a conversation with her is one where she expects to talk at you, while you just quietly nod in agreement) and is one of the biggest bullies I've encountered. She does have her moments, as few and far between as they may be so I hope this leads her to a moment of clarity and self-reflection.

I hope the reason why the majority of her contemporaries that she treated like poo poo and looked down her nose at have gone on to be actual grown-ups doing grown-up stuff is not lost on her.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vagabundo posted:

Knowing her personally, and knowing what she's like, it's hardly surprising that she's pretty much alienated everyone and has opted to apparently burn bridges. She's arrogant, violently intolerant of any opinion that doesn't resemble her own (a conversation with her is one where she expects to talk at you, while you just quietly nod in agreement) and is one of the biggest bullies I've encountered. She does have her moments, as few and far between as they may be so I hope this leads her to a moment of clarity and self-reflection.

I hope the reason why the majority of her contemporaries that she treated like poo poo and looked down her nose at have gone on to be actual grown-ups doing grown-up stuff is not lost on her.

So she's every twitter liberal but irl?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Im under no illusion that she's super pleasant to talk to in person, that's kinda what I meant by "the same arrogance as most people in those circles". I wouldn't want to have dinner with Matt McCarten either, for the same reason. But they make for good activists

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

oohhboy posted:

I like people who are competent. Purity is overrated if you can't get good things done correctly.

My man.

Vagabundo posted:

Knowing her personally, and knowing what she's like, it's hardly surprising that she's pretty much alienated everyone and has opted to apparently burn bridges. She's arrogant, violently intolerant of any opinion that doesn't resemble her own (a conversation with her is one where she expects to talk at you, while you just quietly nod in agreement) and is one of the biggest bullies I've encountered.

So where does she post?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Her own blog, it would seem

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Aw, she'd fit right in.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Maybe someone should buy her an account. Then we can creep her out and run her off just like the Kate Beaton thing in LF.

Not me though, I am just the ideas man.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
RIP my fig tree. High winds weren't really your thing.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So she's every twitter liberal but irl?

Yeah, but she seems like she's actually left wing, which most Twitter liberals aren't.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Here are some good tears from the Property Investors Federation and the Real Estate Institute, which are such a priori sympathetic organisations
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/347471/landlords-bail-on-rental-market-it-is-just-not-worth-it

quote:

Property Investors Federation executive officer Andrew King said these planned changes were scaring off investors from the property market.

Mr King said changes such as the ring-fencing rule and the bright line test did not apply to other businesses, and so were unfair.

Mike Coffey, the Wellington regional director for the Real Estate Institute, thought the new government's coming changes would put up barriers against new investors in the property market.

My favourite bit

quote:

"There's been a lot of animosity against rental property owners. There is a lot of misinformation about their tax situation, a lot of people think it is easy money when it is not.

As a rental property owner, it is literally the easiest money you can make.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Midget Fist posted:

RIP my fig tree. High winds weren't really your thing.

Tree fell on my house.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The tall, heavy fence next to where I park my car was dangerously close to falling over. After a panic relocation of said car, the foundations of the fence gave way after a bit of pulling in the winds.

E: this was a controlled, intentional demolition of a fence at my place that I helped put up and was clearly hosed. Better to let it down safely than to fall the other way and wreck the neighbor's stuff instead.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sitting here in Greymouth it is calm and still. Overcast and incredibly humid. Would be a nice day if it the humidity didn’t sap your energy if you try to move.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Varkk posted:

Sitting here in Greymouth

My condolences

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

Im under no illusion that she's super pleasant to talk to in person, that's kinda what I meant by "the same arrogance as most people in those circles". I wouldn't want to have dinner with Matt McCarten either, for the same reason. But they make for good activists

I feel like this is a good point to bring up that she hasn't talked to me in about 5 years because I disagreed with her claim that obesity has no links with type 2 diabetes, and that despite her claims otherwise, the American Diabetes Association has not said anything of the sort either.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What, does she have a personal stake in the matter?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Last I saw her, she was overweight (this isn't a statement designed in any way to criticise her for her appearance at the time, it's just a description) and I think she was doing a fair amount of fat activism or whatever it's meant to be called*.

*As far as I know, she still may be, but it's not like I feel any inclination to go back through her blog archives to find out if she does.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

edit: Whoops, never mind. Forgot where I was.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Tree fell on my house.

RIP your house:(

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Nah. Rip tree. It was a nice tree too :( just bought a poutakawa to replace it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Nah. Rip tree. It was a nice tree too :( just bought a poutakawa to replace it

I hope you enjoy pohutukawa needles all over everything.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I hope you enjoy pohutukawa needles all over everything.

And the itchy dust poo poo prior to them flowering. They are a pretty kick rear end tree aside from that, though.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I enjoy a lot of things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

As a rental property owner, it is literally the easiest money you can make.

maybe

coz its not for me. just cost after cost and no increase in value

I mean its not bad because I am marriage separating so I will move into that house

but when we had it, it was poo poo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

maybe

coz its not for me. just cost after cost and no increase in value

I mean its not bad because I am marriage separating so I will move into that house

but when we had it, it was poo poo

How did you gently caress up an investment property in New Zealand between 2010 and 2017? Not even counting the crazy capital gains, our rental income alone makes us bank.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because maybe the rental market isn't as amazing as you think it was

rent didn't cover mortgage, maybe 50 short a week. and then there was rates and insurance

and housing nz moved into the area and stagnated the prices

havent had capital gains on that property in 4 years

was probably gonna take a 40k loss on it if we sold which we wanted to do. but now its gonna be my house

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Where tf is your house?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kaiapoi which is smaller town outside chch

tbf I am aware it was a particularly bad investment. bad luck rather

oh well

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:ughh:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm no real estate expert but Rangiora's booming, there's a new shopping centre/township going up outside Pegasus, the area in general seems to be growing, so maybe Kaiapoi will take off too with time?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rangiora's boom is taking place because people's cash has fled the heavily quake-damaged areas like Kaiapoi. It won't return until the market is convinced that there won't be another round of Canterbury quakes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

kaiapoi which is smaller town outside chch

tbf I am aware it was a particularly bad investment. bad luck rather

oh well

Ok so maybe I should amend what I said. Owning a rental property is the easiest money you can make so long as you do the very basic due diligence of checking your incomings will exceed your outgoings. I would've thought that was common sense.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

bike tory posted:

Ok so maybe I should amend what I said. Owning a rental property is the easiest money you can make so long as you do the very basic due diligence of checking your incomings will exceed your outgoings. I would've thought that was common sense.

This. Mind you having a rental is scary as poo poo if you aren't used to it, I was renting out my place a couple of years ago and it was a massive weight on my mind for the first few months.
But yeah, I did the math first and after rent I was about $50 a month in the red on it by the time I included the costs. Which was fine as I intended to move into it, if it was supposed to be a income source then capital gains would have made it viable maybe?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
People here are dumb as poo poo with property anyway. I know of at least three people on trade wages (so say about 60-80k a year) with their partners who have built 500k + new homes and I'm like, goddammit buy something cheaper, get your dodgy mates to do some cashies doing it up then sell it to idiots who want a new looking place. But no, you live in debt the next 50 odd years...

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Is this another “laugh at Echi” thread?:smugmrgw:

Dude, you gotta house! Awesome bro :waycool:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

carrionman posted:

This. Mind you having a rental is scary as poo poo if you aren't used to it, I was renting out my place a couple of years ago and it was a massive weight on my mind for the first few months.
But yeah, I did the math first and after rent I was about $50 a month in the red on it by the time I included the costs. Which was fine as I intended to move into it, if it was supposed to be a income source then capital gains would have made it viable maybe?

Possibly, but you also need to factor in ~4-5% depreciation p.a. so you're only going to see profit if you've got decent capital gains (like in Auckland, Wellington central, maybe H-town and Dunners too, idk about Christchurch)

it's me I'm the property speculator that's ruining nz

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I don't even have a house.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

And so long as the market is the way it is, neither do I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I bought one last year, and the rental appraisal is 150% of my mortgage. :smug:

• Locked thread