Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The packets have a ton of salt and other useless poo poo in them as well.even the flavorless ones. The maple brown sugar ones have 190mg of sodium per packet.

If you're eating 3 packets at breakfast, you're getting 300-600mg of sodium for no good reason. If you're eating that much just buy the big 1kg bag of quick oats and add a little brown sugar to taste. it's like $3/kg vs $10/kg doing it that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

So then there's just no such thing as humane eggs or cheese? :shrug:

Like I alluded to, I get avoiding eating animals, but if you're giving up cheese I think you're either loving insane or lactose intolerant

There's no such thing as humane eggs, no. Cheese, yes. But even the free range places suffocate all male chicks to death when they're like a day old.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We'd all do a lot better when it comes to managing our health and environment if we started eating more based on what's in season and relying less on cheap subsidized meat, plants from half way around the world and processed garbage. Potatos, root vegetables and grains in the winter and more fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer and way less meat sugar and salt overall.

I've got a crock pot full of almost finished corn and potato chowder in the fridge I just need to reheat and add cream and butter for tomorrow and it's going to be our lunch and half of dinner tomorrow and the rest is going to be packed into thermoses for ice fishing on Sunday. The house smelled like comfort food all afternoon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HookShot posted:

There's no such thing as humane eggs, no. Cheese, yes. But even the free range places suffocate all male chicks to death when they're like a day old.

Give it a few years, then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

We'd all do a lot better when it comes to managing our health and environment if we started eating more based on what's in season and relying less on cheap subsidized meat, plants from half way around the world and processed garbage. Potatos, root vegetables and grains in the winter and more fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer and way less meat sugar and salt overall.

I've got a crock pot full of almost finished corn and potato chowder in the fridge I just need to reheat and add cream and butter for tomorrow and it's going to be our lunch and half of dinner tomorrow and the rest is going to be packed into thermoses for ice fishing on Sunday. The house smelled like comfort food all afternoon.

That would make sense if we evolved in this climate or if our food sources could dictate the level of the population. Nothing is in-season in Winnipeg in February. Fish is almost necessary for the human diet, but local stocks on the prairies get hosed up by hobbyists, never mind attempting to feed any significant part of the population with it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Powershift posted:

That would make sense if we evolved in this climate or if our food sources could dictate the level of the population. Nothing is in-season in Winnipeg in February. Fish is almost necessary for the human diet, but local stocks on the prairies get hosed up by hobbyists, never mind attempting to feed any significant part of the population with it.

Preserved meats and vegetables could theoretically carry you through but I think I'll pass on that lifestyle

E: it's not like people weren't surviving in this frozen shithole with much fewer options available thousands of years before

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I've read some fairly convincing arguments that shipping food long distances really isn't bad. Even poo poo grown on the other side of the planet still has only a few percent of its fuel/energy spent on transport, the rest is entirely based on its production and harvest/processing. Eating some green onion grown locally or grown in mexico barely registers any meaningful environmental difference. In fact it's better to grow crops best suited for the climate where they are grown rather than try to grow everything locally.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
By 'in season' I mean foods that can be harvested in the fall and stored through the winter, it's why I specified stuff like potatos and root vegetables, grains and such.

I'm not advocating anything like going back to substinance farming, just reducing our need to cart most of our food in from around the globe by eating more of that stuff.

And while posting about that I remembered that we have a box of yummy Moroccan clementines from Costco in the fridge and grabbed two. I'm such a hypocrite.

Baronjutter posted:

I've read some fairly convincing arguments that shipping food long distances really isn't bad.

Cool beans. It'd be nice to know that I'm at least not ruining the planet one tasty vegetable at a time.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 6, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Preserved meats and vegetables could theoretically carry you through but I think I'll pass on that lifestyle

E: it's not like people weren't surviving in this frozen shithole with much fewer options available thousands of years before

They also followed food south for winter, didn't have millions of mouths to feed, and didn't expect to live to 80.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just because we cant completely revert out diet to local food sources doesn't mean that there would be no benefit to reducing our intake of food that is bad for us or produced in less sustainable ways or exploitative of the workers that grow it or cruel to the livestock.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

More Timmies minimum-wage fuckery:

"Scarborough Tim Hortons workers banned from accepting tips after wage hike"
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/01/05/scarborough-tim-hortons-workers-banned-from-accepting-tips-after-wage-hike.html

quote:

"Employees at the franchise located at Lawrence Ave. E. and Markham Rd. have been told that as of 2018, there would be “no more tips” and that any tips “must go in to the till.” The instructions posted on a bulletin board also say breaks will no longer be compensated “in light of the new minimum wage increase,” according to documents seen by the Star."

Before anyone asks 'is this legal', the article says yes

quote:

"Employers can decide if tipping is allowed in their businesses. If tipping is not accepted, the employer should make it clear to customers that gratuities will not be accepted by employees or the employer, according to the Ministry of Labour website."

But of course, 'it's legal' isn't the same as 'it's not lovely'

And I find it hard to believe tips at Timmies are substantial in any case

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The Kirkland organic eggs in the clamshell made out of water bottles are supposedly pretty good on a "humane treatment" side of things. I know they are sourced from smaller family farms all over. That obviously doesn't mean poo poo but Costco is the only retailer I'd trust to make meaningful relationships with farmers, who they will invest in to bring operations up to scale and to get them following best practices... If their coffee and cocoa sources are any indication anyway.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
Free range: chickens out in the fields. These are super expensive because chickens are dumb and get preyed on by literally anything outdoors.

Free run: indoors, but chickens are free to move around as they wish and murder each other

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
chickens are dumb we're doing them a favour by eating them and their unborn children

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tochiazuma posted:

More Timmies minimum-wage fuckery:

"Scarborough Tim Hortons workers banned from accepting tips after wage hike"
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/01/05/scarborough-tim-hortons-workers-banned-from-accepting-tips-after-wage-hike.html

Before anyone asks 'is this legal', the article says yes

But of course, 'it's legal' isn't the same as 'it's not lovely'

And I find it hard to believe tips at Timmies are substantial in any case

"Not accepted" and "in the till" don’t quite sound compatible.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/vicecanada/status/949657162116198400

If I had to guess which province the holocaust-denying ex green party candidate was from, you're drat right I would have guessed Alberta.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

pokeyman posted:

"Not accepted" and "in the till" don’t quite sound compatible.

True, unless they follow the ministry guideline of putting up some signs or something telling the customers that they don't take tips

I put the odds of that at close to zero myself

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i've never heard of timmies workers being tipped at all

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tochiazuma posted:

True, unless they follow the ministry guideline of putting up some signs or something telling the customers that they don't take tips

I put the odds of that at close to zero myself

I used to work there two decades ago so I'm an expert on this. The format of a Tim Hortons tip isn't like a restaurant, it's more like the order comes to $1.90 and the customer gives you $2, says thanks and walks away quickly because 10 cents is meaningless to them because they're so important and rich. The employee then puts the change beside the till in their little tip cup or pile that's not even usually visible to the customer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I used to work there two decades ago so I'm an expert on this. The format of a Tim Hortons tip isn't like a restaurant, it's more like the order comes to $1.90 and the customer gives you $2, says thanks and walks away quickly because 10 cents is meaningless to them because they're so important and rich. The employee then puts the change beside the till in their little tip cup or pile that's not even usually visible to the customer.

Be fair... it's also used by creepy middle-aged men to flirt with teenage women working the till.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Queen's University, Bachelor of economics.

https://twitter.com/Ben_S_Harper/status/948998298416726016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/bruceanderson/status/949654115352653824

:fuckoff:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

yellowcar posted:

i've never heard of timmies workers being tipped at all

Yeah, I guess I’ve been a big rear end in a top hat all these years?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

If we raise minimum wage, inflation will destroy the value of the wealth we worked so hard to gently caress you out of!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I guess I’ve been a big rear end in a top hat all these years?

Tipping at counter-service places like Tim's is entirely discretionary, and most people, if they leave anything, just leave their small change. It's not like restaurants where it makes up a significant portion of employees' wages.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

yippee cahier posted:

If we raise minimum wage, inflation will destroy the value of the wealth we worked so hard to gently caress you out of!

I lust for hyperinflation

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I lust for hyperinflation

I guess since you bought a house you can't just wish for the much more efficient way of accomplishing that goal, which would be a housing market crash.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya no the housing crash that destroys me financially is way more likely and in well aware of that, it just doesn't get me rock hard like the thought of a ton of wealthy people being effectively brought down to zero.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is that Stephen Harpers son lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why would hyper-inflation tank rich people's net worth? They aren't holding their money in cash.

It will wipe out people who are overly invested in bonds, and that tends not to be the extremely wealthy, because the more money you have, the more risk you can reasonably assume with your investments.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Why would hyper-inflation tank rich people's net worth? They aren't holding their money in cash.

It will wipe out people who are overly invested in bonds, and that tends not to be the extremely wealthy, because the more money you have, the more risk you can reasonably assume with your investments.

Guillotines for them.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Is that Stephen Harpers son lol

Sure is!

https://twitter.com/MuskokaMoneybag/status/949649606308188161

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

lolol, I have a bachelor's in Economics from Queen's. It was so loving easy and basic that I did it on top of my Mech Eng degree.

Can I give it back?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mik posted:

lolol, I have a bachelor's in Economics from Queen's. It was so loving easy and basic that I did it on top of my Mech Eng degree.

Can I give it back?

No. You now have to be Ben Harper's roommate until the heat death of the universe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/canadiancynic/status/949600993561403392

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Now that I have eaten I am going to regale you all with my tales of work today.

At least five times I had seniors freaking out about people under 25 getting the same prescription coverage they do, only they pay nothing instead of $4.11. "They havnt even worked for it yet!", "These kids will never learn how to be responsible with money" and "Nice to see my taxes paying for the laziest generation to continue sitting around smoking marijuana and playing video games" seemed to be the theme. Also lots of sexism and homophobia for some reason.

Boomers might just be the most toxic people on the entire planet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Agreed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Furnaceface posted:

At least five times I had seniors freaking out about people under 25 getting the same prescription coverage they do, only they pay nothing instead of $4.11. "They havnt even worked for it yet!", "These kids will never learn how to be responsible with money" and "Nice to see my taxes paying for the laziest generation to continue sitting around smoking marijuana and playing video games" seemed to be the theme. Also lots of sexism and homophobia for some reason.

Joke's on those young people. They'll miss out on so much in life from having to support the senior generations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

wait. Does the under 25 free drugs thing stack with medical maui wowie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

NDP health minister: Hey, get your tetanus shot this year!

Jason Kenney: gently caress YOU *slams 12 rusty nails into foot*