Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Sinkhole is ~$3 in paper. Same for Chain Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

Oubliette is over 20, that's probably the biggest one that sees some amount of actual play. EDIT: Also sinkhole, assuming it doesn't eat a ban if paper pauper takes off.

Those two are the only relevant commons that are over 10 bucks.

Sinkhole absolutely will not be a playable card in paper pauper, it's too stupid. Either they'll stick with MTGO legality or just ban Sinkhole/Hymn/High Tide/Goblin Grenade/probably Desert. Also MBC is real bad, don't build it, however Oubliette and Arabian Nights Cuombajj Witches are real pretty and if MBC ever does become good again and also if paper pauper does become big they'll become pretty expensive once some jackass buys out the supply.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hellsau posted:

Sinkhole absolutely will not be a playable card in paper pauper, it's too stupid. Either they'll stick with MTGO legality or just ban Sinkhole/Hymn/High Tide/Goblin Grenade/probably Desert. Also MBC is real bad, don't build it, however Oubliette and Arabian Nights Cuombajj Witches are real pretty and if MBC ever does become good again and also if paper pauper does become big they'll become pretty expensive once some jackass buys out the supply.

The CFB events (so all events now) are using the cards that are legal on MTGO pauper and the mtgo banlist.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Chainer's Edict would be my card to speculate on. It's 5$ already and a 4-of in a ton of different archetypes.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I have fake edicts in my paper u/b control deck lolol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
in other pauper news, I'd like to thank burn players everywhere for playing 8 creatures for me to kill instead of 8 additional burn spells. i've won 90% of my matches against you ever since you unanimously voted to make that change

i'd also like to thank one specific B/W pestilence player for creating a monarch token, then tapping out while I had a creature in play

are the pestilence and R/W monarch decks real? I've been out of the loop for a bit

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

little munchkin posted:

I have fake edicts in my paper u/b control deck lolol

Is this still a valid UB Control list? I built it a few months ago but haven't bothered to go to my store's Pauper FNM when they have it-
2 Ash Barrens
4 Dimir Aqueduct
4 Dismal Backwater
6 Island
2 Radiant Fountain
4 Swamp
2 Archaeomancer
3 Augur of Bolas
4 Brainstorm
1 Chainer's Edict
4 Chittering Rats
4 Counterspell
1 Crypt Rats
1 Diabolic Edict
2 Disfigure
2 Doom Blade
1 Echoing Decay
1 Ghostly Flicker
4 Mulldrifter
2 Mystical Teachings
1 Reaping the Graves
1 Recoil
3 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Snuff Out

//Sideboard
2 Archaeomancer
3 Chainer's Edict
3 Dispel
4 Hydroblast
2 Rancid Earth
1 Relic of Progenitus

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

in other pauper news, I'd like to thank burn players everywhere for playing 8 creatures for me to kill instead of 8 additional burn spells. i've won 90% of my matches against you ever since you unanimously voted to make that change

i'd also like to thank one specific B/W pestilence player for creating a monarch token, then tapping out while I had a creature in play

are the pestilence and R/W monarch decks real? I've been out of the loop for a bit

Burn with creatures goes WAY over the top when their creatures aren't killed. Unfortunately the cost you pay is that you lose a lot of your previously favorable matchups and your previous bad matchups become complete slaughters. I don't know how Burn beats UR Delver when they turn on UR's burn spells while still getting owned by Spellstutter Sprite. I guess Stompy becomes much more favorable with the creature plan?

RW Monarch decks are just new versions of Kuldotha Boros, so they're as real as those ever were. Pestilence is a real good card in many matchups, but they're just going to get ground out by the blue decks with Mulldrifters and Oracles.

e:

C-Euro posted:

Is this still a valid UB Control list? I built it a few months ago but haven't bothered to go to my store's Pauper FNM when they have it-

Play four Ash Barrens because that is a good card and you're running Brainstorms. Dinrova Horror is very good at making games end and you probably want a few, maybe over some Chittering Rats. I hate Relic because it doesn't do anything except waste your time and mana. Otherwise it looks like a decent list until you know your metagame.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 31, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

2 Ash Barrens
4 Dimir Aqueduct
4 Dismal Backwater
6 Island
2 Radiant Fountain
4 Swamp
2 Archaeomancer
3 Augur of Bolas
4 Brainstorm
1 Chainer's Edict
4 Chittering Rats
4 Counterspell
1 Crypt Rats
1 Diabolic Edict
2 Disfigure
2 Doom Blade
1 Echoing Decay
1 Ghostly Flicker
4 Mulldrifter
2 Mystical Teachings
1 Reaping the Graves
1 Recoil
3 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Snuff Out

//Sideboard
2 Archaeomancer
3 Chainer's Edict
3 Dispel
4 Hydroblast
2 Rancid Earth
1 Relic of Progenitus

it's extremely suboptimal but probably fnm worthy. the flicker package + 3 copies of teachings seems extremely greedy and if you're not mainboarding 4 copies of chainer's you're doing U/B wrong. having them in the sideboard seems dubious since every aggro deck in the format has an answer to edict effects post-board. also don't play augur with 17 creatures lol. extra archaeomancers in the board seems bad, there's no matchup where you want your deck to be slower and also more vulnerable to disruption.

here's the list I've settled on so far after playing 7 leagues in the last two weeks (25-10 in matches, two trophies). Bojuka Bog seems so much better than relic of progenitus so far, because i actually want to side it in instead of worried it'll hurt myself too much.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 31, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Play four Ash Barrens because that is a good card and you're running Brainstorms.

Imo just play preordain and 4 basics. I can't imagine that deck wants to be shuffling away it's land drops too often.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ash Barrens is good because of T1 Ash Barrens, T2 tap for colorless, play Dimir Aqueduct bouncing Ash Barrens, use its own colorless mana to cycle itself.

It's a slick play that's real good, also brainstorm exists.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*brings relic of progenitus in from the sideboard*

*refuses to crack it despite having zero cards in hand and being extremely behind on board*

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Delver needs to go. I'm playing against a mono-blue Jace's Erasure deck which is playing four Delver of Secrets, which do not interact in any way with the deck's primary gameplan, simply because my opponent can go turn 1 Delver blind flip turn two Delver Brainstorm. It's real stupid. I'd be dead if my opponent was playing actual cards instead of Jace's Erasure and Echoing Truth but still, Delver is too powerful if blue decks just play them for the free wins that turn 1 Delver provides no matter how counter-plan they are.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to make some decisions before I do some shopping. I'm going to be building a couple new decks to play with my friend from out of town later this month, and I don't know which to make. The ones I have in mind are Slivers, Elves, Burn, and something to do with Tron because I hate to see my playset of those lands in my binder.

A few questions:

1. Which deck is more reliable, Elves or Burn? On one hand I've always loved seeing elves just flood the board and gain stupid amounts of life with Wellwisher, but I worry about Pestilence decks just dismantling my entire board. Burn seems cool especially with Archer and Alchemist as sources of extra damage, but I'm not sure it can handle decks that can gain a ton of life. I'll only be building one of the two right now since the staples of both decks are a little pricey, so I need to decide which one I'm doing.

2. What's the best way to build Tron nowadays? I've been out of the loop for quite some time, as when I last played pauper, Tron was more often than not a mono-green deck jamming out Fangren Marauder and Ulamog's Crusher. Looking at the MTGGoldfish meta list, I'm seeing WUBRG lists with very few threats and I'm not sure how it wins.

3. If I build Elves, is Stompy worth building as well? It uses the two more expensive pieces from Elves after all.

I still would really like to build Mono Black Control sometime, but I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just not a good deck. What would it take for it to get a foothold in the meta again? I love the concept of the deck a lot.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
You mentioned binder. Are you playing at a store, and if so are they using the MTGO banlist.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Paper Pauper, yes. And I'd assume stores should follow MTGO banlist as that's what they're doing for the upcoming GPs? I dunno.

I mostly just play casually, but I'm still a stickler for rules and will probably follow the banlist regardless.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Be careful with making assumptions. I still know stores that use the multiplayer EDH ban list for 1 vs 1 tournaments. I suggest speaking with the TO and strongly urging then to follow online legality to stop unfairness. There will be player's who will work to take advantage of lazy rules, even in a Pauper tournament.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough. I'm still not any closer to choosing a deck yet though. Kinda bored of playing monoblue Delver all the time.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 6, 2018

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Matsuri posted:

Fair enough. I'm still not any closer to choosing a deck yet though. Kinda bored of playing monoblue Deliver all the time.

Skred delver is the new delver-based hotness.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

CompeAnansi posted:

Skred delver is the new delver-based hotness.

So I've seen. I don't know how I feel about buying a bunch of snow lands for it right now though.

I think I'm going to build Elves instead of Burn for now, if not only because I can switch it to Stompy quite cheaply should I want to change it up. I'm seeing some lists put Mob Justice in Elves and it looks hilarious.

Meanwhile, I was thinking about how Cranial Plating was banned in Pauper and remembered that Nim Shrieker exists, so I kind of threw together a decklist to kind of revolve around it, as well as Glaze Fiend, Atog, and Disciple of the Vault. How does it look? https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-01-18-mardu-artifacts/

Might drop the Shrieker for something else though, because 4 CMC seems a little expensive for a 16 land deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There's also Nim Lasher which costs one less but loses flying.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

There's also Nim Lasher which costs one less but loses flying.

Ooh, that may actually be preferable, since the overall plan is to get in with protection or trample, or fling when all else fails.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So say I end up going to GP Indy and sign up for the pauper event, but drop right away just because I want the promo and a chance to see a couple online friends there, maybe get a casual game in. Is that something I can do, or is that frowned upon?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
You can do it and who gives a poo poo, respectively.

Note that I don't think you get a promo card for entering a side event.

Network42 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Network42 posted:

You can do it and who gives a poo poo, respectively.

Note that I don't think you get a promo card for entering a side event.

You do, it's part of the entry fee.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
why not just buy the promo? it'll be cheaper and you won't waste the time of someone who wants to actually play

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

why not just buy the promo? it'll be cheaper and you won't waste the time of someone who wants to actually play

I guess I could just buy it, yeah. Also I never said I'd be playing in the tournament, I'd be dropping right away and catching a couple casual games with an online friend who will be there.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I guess I could just buy it, yeah. Also I never said I'd be playing in the tournament, I'd be dropping right away and catching a couple casual games with an online friend who will be there.

I understand you won't be playing, I'm just saying that someone who wants to play some games is going to miss out on that because of your decision to buy something you could have gotten cheaper and with less labor by going to tcgplayer. they can't just not add you to the pairings, your round one opponent is going to show up to an empty chair

or just buy them from an on-site vendor if you really value instant gratification so badly

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 15, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Why would you spend $35 on a $25 promo just to give someone else a bye and a wasted hour?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

I understand you won't be playing, I'm just saying that someone who wants to play some games is going to miss out on that because of your decision to buy something you could have gotten cheaper and with less labor by going to tcgplayer. they can't just not add you to the pairings, your round one opponent is going to show up to an empty chair

or just buy them from an on-site vendor if you really value instant gratification so badly

I didn't realize how it worked, I've never done this before.

And it's less about instant gratification and more me wanting to be home before it gets too late (I'm staying in Indy over the weekend to visit a friend, if the Pauper event was on Saturday I'd stay and play the entire time), and I live a couple hours away. Playing it all through would keep me there longer than I'd like to be.

suicidesteve posted:

Why would you spend $35 on a $25 promo just to give someone else a bye and a wasted hour?

Because I didn't understand how it worked and I do now?

That's kind of why I asked in the first place.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

In actual Pauper news, apparently Ninjustu is bugged and you can only activate it after damage is dealt, making Delver effectively unplayable. Get out you decks that are dogs to UR/Mono-U Delver and play them before they fix this bug sometime three or four years from now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

In actual Pauper news, apparently Ninjustu is bugged and you can only activate it after damage is dealt, making Delver effectively unplayable. Get out you decks that are dogs to UR/Mono-U Delver and play them before they fix this bug sometime three or four years from now.

Mtgo.txt

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Mtgo.txt

Look at least they fixed the Oubliette bug that would restart a game when it got removed and force one player to concede or time out. It only took them like a year and a half to fix it.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Matsuri posted:

I didn't realize how it worked, I've never done this before.

And it's less about instant gratification and more me wanting to be home before it gets too late (I'm staying in Indy over the weekend to visit a friend, if the Pauper event was on Saturday I'd stay and play the entire time), and I live a couple hours away. Playing it all through would keep me there longer than I'd like to be.

Because I didn't understand how it worked and I do now?

That's kind of why I asked in the first place.
If you have never been to a GP and just plan to play fun games and hang out with friends, that is totally cool. There will be lots of vendors for you to check out for the GP promo, singles, packs, supplies, so on. It is public space and you are not required to enter any event or spend any money. Have a blast!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to save money and not go at all. Maybe some other time.

Also, as I mentioned in the general MtG thread: I came across a Rakdos variant of MBC that combines it with Monarch and such. It actually seems more nifty (and more aggressive) than MBC, and doesn't worry about having Gary or Oubliette. It went 5-0 in an Italian league at any rate.

http://www.daltenda.com/report-paupergeddon-davide-gianelli-top-8-rakdos-monarch/

I think it looks super interesting, though I don't really know if it's optimized. It looks like you'd end up shocking yourself a lot with the Phyrexian Ragers, Night's Whispers, and Read the Bones. Also, maybe replace Night's Whisper with Sign in Blood, so you can potentially use it as a burn spell if need be?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I decided to save money and not go at all. Maybe some other time.

Also, as I mentioned in the general MtG thread: I came across a Rakdos variant of MBC that combines it with Monarch and such. It actually seems more nifty (and more aggressive) than MBC, and doesn't worry about having Gary or Oubliette. It went 5-0 in an Italian league at any rate.

http://www.daltenda.com/report-paupergeddon-davide-gianelli-top-8-rakdos-monarch/

I think it looks super interesting, though I don't really know if it's optimized. It looks like you'd end up shocking yourself a lot with the Phyrexian Ragers, Night's Whispers, and Read the Bones. Also, maybe replace Night's Whisper with Sign in Blood, so you can potentially use it as a burn spell if need be?

Those kind of decks are still nearly dead to Mulldrifter decks even with the addition of red. UB Control is a perfectly reasonably option if you want a deck that can't beat Tron and can beat most of everything else, there's no real advantage gained from playing red over blue.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Those kind of decks are still nearly dead to Mulldrifter decks even with the addition of red. UB Control is a perfectly reasonably option if you want a deck that can't beat Tron and can beat most of everything else, there's no real advantage gained from playing red over blue.

I think I'll just stick with Boros Monarch/Kuldotha Boros. (I like the versatility.)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
U/W acid trip is still my favorite pauper deck.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wizards really needs to reprint Battle Screech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

Wizards really needs to reprint Battle Screech.

On one hand I agree, but on the other I'd feel super irritated because I just bought some the other day. (But I'm also the same person cheering on Oubliette to be reprinted so the stupidly inflated $35 crumples to $3-4 at best.)

I'm still considering putting my Urza lands to use. Really torn between Dinrova or Murasa Tron, because while it seems like Dinrova is the more popular version right now (or some sort of WUBRG version of it), doesn't that also mean it's probably way more commonly hated out with land destruction and graveyard hate cards? Murasa Tron seems a little less dependent on that and more interested in just throwing down fat boys to swing with.