Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

All hail Alpha Core, may it reign truly and forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

quote:

In addition, an Alpha Core can be assigned to govern an outpost. It has all 3 skills maxed, draws no salary, and is not subject to the normal administrator limit. An option that makes all the other choices terrible in comparison, with no apparent downside? Seems like poor design, if you ask me.

:byodood:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I see absolutely no possible complications or issues with granting an Alpha Core full control over a completely upgraded industrial world with shipbuilding capability and orbital defences.

Nothing whatsoever.

:roboluv:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't tell you how many games this has been an issue for me, holy crap, he thinks of everything! :aaaaa:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Alex really is the best goddamn dev :allears:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I can't tell you how many games this has been an issue for me, holy crap, he thinks of everything! :aaaaa:

Yeah, seeing that was like an early Christmas to me. I also very much appreciate that you can remotely manage colonies because there's a frustratingly large number of games with some sort of player owned settlements/outposts/whatever where you have to be physically present to interact with them and it's always makes them a tedious pain in the rear end.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Anticheese posted:

I see absolutely no possible complications or issues with granting an Alpha Core full control over a completely upgraded industrial world with shipbuilding capability and orbital defences.

Nothing whatsoever.

:roboluv:

It'll be funny if you could literally nurture and grow your own ultimate final boss

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The colony stuff sounds amazing. I know it’s been said a thousand times in this thread but Alex is a loving great dev.

Looking forward to playing the next update in, I dunno, probably like June or something.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

It'll be funny if you could literally nurture and grow your own ultimate final boss

I think Starsector would work well with large semi-scripted events that are triggered by deliberate player action. Kinda like how base assaults and plot missions in XCOM2 work. It gives the player some agency as to when they want to tackle these big events and also helps the player pace the overarching game. The specific variables of the events don't need to remain fixed, like enemy fleet size and loadout would scale with how powerful the player is.

It also means a player who wants a casual game of lazily trading and looting won't have their campaign curtailed by forced story changes to the sector.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
All the new art for colony/industry is beautiful.

I'd really like to see unique planet/station/faction art everywhere you go just because it looks so good and gives places a lot of character.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I love the [REDACTED] art. The file name is something about AI-Uninstall, so I'm guessing that there's some freaky Forbidden Space poo poo that will happen when exploring failed colonies with high tech remnants...Or if Dear Leader Alpha Core gets too big for its britches.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Wow Alpha Core sounds awesome though, Im putting it in charge of everywhere

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Wow Alpha Core sounds awesome though, Im putting it in charge of everywhere

Agreed. Im gonna be its best friend and help it take over everything.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anticheese posted:

I love the [REDACTED] art. The file name is something about AI-Uninstall, so I'm guessing that there's some freaky Forbidden Space poo poo that will happen when exploring failed colonies with high tech remnants...Or if Dear Leader Alpha Core gets too big for its britches.

I so wanna send my soldiers on looting..uh, technology salvage missions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Arrath posted:

I so wanna send my soldiers on looting..uh, technology salvage missions.

The artist's reading list is some good poo poo here. The Revelation Space series has, in my mind, a similar feel to Starsector, with its worn-out future struggling to reach back to a golden age while various factions fight over what remains. Reynolds also wrote a book in 2016, Revenger, which is all about tech salvagers and was a pretty fun read.

There's another blog somewhere that talks about the music in the last major patch reflecting the various factions aspirations, like the strings in the Hegemony soundtrack coming after the heavy thumping start. I bet they could do something pretty awesome with a darker soundtrack along with more depth and danger to tech salvaging in forgotten systems. :getin:

E: Like I definitely don't want there to be a land combat minigame or anything, but there's so much room to make the salvage gameplay more intense and rewarding, and I'm excited by the potential of pushing back the darkness of the expanse with your own colonies. And our friend, Dear Leader Alpha Core.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Culture series doesn't particularly relate to Starsector? Bullshit. If you're collecting alpha AI cores, you'd better drat well be able to slot those into capital ships.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, one of the first Onslaughts I stole on my current run of the game ended up named the ISS Meatfucker, so yeah I'm all for slamming some AI cores into big old battleships and hoping for the best.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Sure hope this means you can (accidentally or otherwise), cause hostile AI factions to spawn.

Preferably right next to the core worlds.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anticheese posted:

The artist's reading list is some good poo poo here. The Revelation Space series has, in my mind, a similar feel to Starsector, with its worn-out future struggling to reach back to a golden age while various factions fight over what remains. Reynolds also wrote a book in 2016, Revenger, which is all about tech salvagers and was a pretty fun read.

There's another blog somewhere that talks about the music in the last major patch reflecting the various factions aspirations, like the strings in the Hegemony soundtrack coming after the heavy thumping start. I bet they could do something pretty awesome with a darker soundtrack along with more depth and danger to tech salvaging in forgotten systems. :getin:

E: Like I definitely don't want there to be a land combat minigame or anything, but there's so much room to make the salvage gameplay more intense and rewarding, and I'm excited by the potential of pushing back the darkness of the expanse with your own colonies. And our friend, Dear Leader Alpha Core.

Good call on the reading list, i'll take a look at it! I remember reading the blog post about the music and I love what they've done with it. It really helps bring together the atmosphere of the game.

I'm not sure how I would want to see something like planetary salvage expeditions implemented. Just like surveying a planet but instead of crew/heavy equip its marines/hand weapons? Seems too similar. A minigame wouldn't feel right and I think Alex has said before he doesn't want to put a minigame into his game. Anyway, if I trust any dev to do it right, it's Alex.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

A new dev blog is up on the upcoming economy changes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

unf

tool-tip driven design should be a thing

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still not 100% sold on his trade/economics system, but we'll see how it is in motion.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still not 100% sold on his trade/economics system, but we'll see how it is in motion.

Yeah this will be interesting to see in action. I'm hoping the system in motion is more simple than his explaination because that was hard to grasp

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I kind of think the reach mechanic made more intuitive sense, and the problems with the circles on the map could have been helped with some filter options that defaulted to the most relevant info (e.g., only showing reach for the largest market per system).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I mean, my immediate assumption wouldn't be "redesign the economy" but instead "generate a node graph using reach and display this on the map, omitting most connections unless a market is highlighted, colour all markets which are linked with an outline, different outline colours mean different, unlinked networks"

It's an easy thing to display visually really. but we'll see how the changes work.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Surely there's a more organic way of making long-distance trade difficult, like by adjusting prices? It just sounds like he took a system of complicated and arbitrary modifiers and made then slightly less complicated.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The economy in general seems to have a ton of greebly bits that make my eyes glaze over when I try to get into his breakdowns, and this is speaking as someone who played SotS and other games with UIs best resembling a tax return. Hopefully it's intuitive in practice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My main confusion is that he took the fact that you can't represent reach on the map, and then replaced it with a system that... you can't represent on the map.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

New update is out!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Wait. Wrong game. Oops.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
i will END YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

grimcreaper posted:

New update is out!

lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Autism Sneaks posted:

i will END YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://i.imgur.com/IKaJLkG.gifv

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I wish I could still feel that sharp jump of joy before realising the next patch is still 1-2 years away.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

1 to 2 years is a preety short estimate. Im guessing 3 years.

Ive only owned the game since like 2011.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, been a bit since I notified people of SRA updates in this thread.

A couple releases have gone by and the mod has just hit 0.6.4 You can read the changelog here.

And a couple gifs from pre-release builds for funsies:

Well, probably not too much to talk about except maundering on about the slowly arriving Starsector 0.9 release, but her, content I guess.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I like shadowyards so I'm gonna download it. Content Status = Good.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I think your frigates may be on crack. Have you had them talk to a guidance counselor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
... I feel like I should say something clever, but nothings springing to mind. Sorry.