Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
like that whole tort section was a single gold fringed flag away from being totally ludicrous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sillybones posted:

What are CIG arguing here? That Crytek had to promise CIG that they would not let anyone else make Star Citizen with their engine? Is that something Crytek would be able to do? Steal Star Citizen and have someone else make it?

And this is the well-established interpretation? Is this a common thing?

Question mark??

Look at Cryteks suit, its well organized and all the claims make sense by themselves. Now at look at CIGs response, their affirmative defenses make no loving sense and you have to struggle to understand what they are trying to say.

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016
Hah, the exclusivity argument is literally Chris doing his hand flailing in legal form.

I want to see him take the stand and have everyone in the courtroom wonder if he's throwing space gang signs at them.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

As near as google tells me, the meaning of 'exclusive' in IP law and licencing means what CIG is claiming. But I would defer to lawgoons on actual interpretation.

Squadron 42 is an interesting question though, as it clearly is marketed as a stand alone product.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Where's the link to the CIG reply thing?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

to resist it is useless
it is useless to resist it
his company is smoking but it never seems to crash
he is grooming his whales, he is living comfort eagle
you can meet at his location but you better come with cash
now his head is on backwards
he can show you his snafus
he is in the movie business
he is calling you whoa did ehp did eh woh did

goddammit if ehp did eh woh did doesn't make me laugh every single time.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Look at Cryteks suit, its well organized and all the claims make sense by themselves. Now at look at CIGs response, their affirmative defenses make no loving sense and you have to struggle to understand what they are trying to say.

CIGs response looks kind of like The Escapist Letter of legal filings.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Please tell me we are going to have a goon court reporter on site.

Even bettererererer option: Derek turns up and just watches. With a bag of popcorn.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Where's the link to the CIG reply thing?

some fine goon upthread made this

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mPjfXrjAf9RUq3_5cJgd-hF-I5XoCQta

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

What are CIG arguing here? That Crytek had to promise CIG that they would not let anyone else make Star Citizen with their engine? Is that something Crytek would be able to do? Steal Star Citizen and have someone else make it?

And this is the well-established interpretation? Is this a common thing?

Question mark??
there's almost no way I can follow almost anything they are saying
although to sum up for non-legal peeps its basically

quote:

Crytek is a big stupid meanie. Look at them play to the Fake News Media and slander us. They are really, really awful. Also, they are bad at contracts. They don't even know what a contract is or the right person to sue. We didn't do anything wrong by breaking every part of the GLA we attached, if you listen to our insane interpretations of it. This shouldn't be in court, at all, and is a sham and a lie. Let me tell you about tort law. Also we took everything about tort law and copied it directly from the first Google result lol no they really did

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SoftNum posted:

As near as google tells me, the meaning of 'exclusive' in IP law and licencing means what CIG is claiming. But I would defer to lawgoons on actual interpretation.

Squadron 42 is an interesting question though, as it clearly is marketed as a stand alone product.

I just dont get why they would have to word it this way if its the case. Why is Crytek making the promise in this case when it should be something like "CIG promises not to use their exclusive license to make something other than SC."?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Chiwie posted:

Even bettererererer option: Derek turns up and just watches. With a bag of popcorn.

Reporting live from the poo poo show

-Derek Smart

Oh God yes please

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Chiwie posted:

Please tell me we are going to have a goon court reporter on site.

Well, with the clown show the trial will be, I'm sure there will be a popcorn stand or two for all in the gallery to enjoy...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kw0134 posted:

Nah, that motion is probably set up for failure but that's not the point, because there's no loving way that they could get the case thrown out on that. An FRCP 13(b)(6) MtD is for the absolutely meritless claims, like claiming being called a "jerk" in a public place constitutes defamation, that sort of thing. Even if it were true, and the defense admits all the facts alleged, it doesn't rise to an actionable cause of action. Of course, the barest reading of the complaint would be "there's a contract, defendant violated contract, gimme moneys" is pretty much the reason civil courts exist! I'm more amused by the effort to strike certain sections of the complaint.

It exists pro forma, to assure everyone that they did indeed stay awake during civ pro. Not filing one, no matter empty it would be, might be seen as failing the zealous defense of one's client. Though...I'd probably try a teensy bit harder than that. The bare assertion that it needs to be dismissed is eye-rolling. Just sayin'.

I agree with all of the above.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

like that whole tort section was a single gold fringed flag away from being totally ludicrous

CIG will eventually resort to using the Sovereign Star Citizen defense. Calling it now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 have actually been completely developed on an abandoned oil rig in international waters.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

In the Streetroller refund e-mail chain, Ortwin refers to RSI as CIG's "publishing arm". My non-lawyer, totally uninformed conjecture is that CIG develops while RSI publishes, sells, and promotes, which rights CIG can freely sublicense according to item 2.1.3 of the GLA. This means that RSI gets all the whale revenues, which might explain why it's worth trying to apply the wrong company defense for it.

However, Chris Roberts signed the Autodesk amendment to the GLA on behalf of both Cloud Imperium Games and RSI, so the separation isn't as clean as this legal theory would imply.

Not relevant what is in the signature. It's the named entities in the document that matter. He could have "Creator of the BDSSE" in that section, in addition to CIG and RSI, and it won't have mattered.

But the whole "you sued the wrong company" is bullshit from the get-go because suing a parent company is standard. You can't use one of Activisions's studios, without adding Activision to the lawsuit.

----------------

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If the presiding judge doesn't come home to find a manila folder sitting under his doormat containing a credit code allowing him to buy both an LTI Idris AND a Vanduul Scythe this whole thing has been a waste of time imo.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

I feel like we are on the precipice of waiting for something great to happen sometime.

Maybe soon.

Maybe sooner than anyone expects.

I already double posted on this page, the greatest has already happened. It can only go downhill now.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/949647038995673088

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

Seems like it. Having paid the total €1.85m in installments, is probably what Erin Roberts referred to in that post somewhere when he said they had, "bought out the engine completely" or whatever he said on some random forum.

I think there are plenty of points in the CIG response to arm a smug moma. This show is going to run, renewed for at least another season.

Yeah, that's what Erin was referring to. Except that the "buyout" as per the GLA, was related to the royalties portion. Instead of Crytek waiting to earn royalties down the road, they opted to take it upfront. Which is hilarious because if they hadn't done that, well, imagine how much of the $175M they would have if you look at the GLA.

----------------

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sandweed posted:

LoL you think Chris is going to pay them? He'll do what he always does, complain about how they did this, if they had just listened to him this would have been fine. Then maybe offer them a 50% of what was originally offered because he is such a nice guy.

So after crytek, turbulent and countts, FFKS will be the 4th company to sue them.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

yeah, they'll burn this lawfirm without a problem. I fully expect them to switch to a different firm to buy them more time

lol when FKKS sues them for breach of contract

gently caress me it's already 2 posts below.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
OK, I'm done. Now to review it and fired it off. Seriously, aside from my own bias, I was hoping that RSI/CIG had something (like the Ortwin waiver) which would have at least made this a worthy fight. By dayum, they have like...nothing. At all.

I wish it wasn't the weekend, so I could bounce some things off my attorney. But oh well, that would have to wait for the blog.

They're so hosed, that if they don't or can't settle this, they are basically giving croberts an "out" to walk away with backer money and claim that the lawsuit killed the project.(edited)

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/949672061449986048

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/949644250173591553

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/949644569867620352

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/949643294333722624

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

:roflolmao: :roflolmao: :roflolmao:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Posting to sandwich Dr. Smart.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

HONO my valor !

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

TheAgent posted:

man whoever has to read CIGs response to this lawsuit is going to be absolutely fuckin pissed. what a waste of words and time

christ

Funnily enough, I'm reading through it myself and it's making me unduly angry. The tone, the unrelated rants, the unnecessary case law, it's all a nightmare to read for what should have been a quite straightforward response.

As has been said, the whole thing reads like something Chris/Ortwin dictated and the FKKS lawyers tried their best to clean up and make presentable for the court. On the other hand, FKKS seem to be quite proud of their fame as a reputation management firm, so I wouldn't be surprised if their very aggressive defence of Ortwin is part of the service they're providing CIG first and foremost (protect Ortwin (and Chris?) first, CIG if they can).

I might do an effortpost later today or tomorrow about this, basically comparing their response to the original complaint with some of my thoughts.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Loxbourne posted:

The motion is to rally the backers and reassure investors. It's to be read by third parties, not the court. CIG get a platform to publicly decry their enemies and that'll fire up the Citizenry. They might even get a brief pledge spike off this. Yeah, CIG! Tell 'em like it is! Bring the fire and fury!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's what Erin was referring to. Except that the "buyout" as per the GLA, was related to the royalties portion. Instead of Crytek waiting to earn royalties down the road, they opted to take it upfront. Which is hilarious because if they hadn't done that, well, imagine how much of the $175M they would have if you look at the GLA.

To be completely fair would YOU want to get into a slap-fight with Crobberts about what constitutes royalties when 99% of the revenue was gathered up front? I wouldn't either.

I'm sure Erin asked someone "what happens if Cry goes under" "Oh we have a buyout clause (referring to the termination clause in the GLA mentioning bankruptcy, which is common)" and Erin telephoned that as "we bought Cry out."

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

They're Totally Different Companies(TM), so CIG are essentially arguing that they didn't breach exclusivity because they only ever used CryEngine and RSI only over used Lumberyard. They're also laying the groundwork for a retreat to RSI if the court does find against CIG and CIG goes down in flames. Keep an eye on those filings - we might start to see assets and people begin to migrate.

So they're claiming that they got around the contract by creating a new company with exactly the same employees, owners, offices and product, and when their employees worked on CryEngine they were working for CIG and when they worked on Lumberyard they were working for RSI? Like literally changing employment contracts every time they pressed alt+tab?

This has got to get laughed out of court, surely?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

omg there is a section arguing that this is tort not contract law and I am loving dying

like never has a legal document made me lol this much

ARE THEY COUNTER CLAIMING FOR DEFAMATION????

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I keep reading through all of these documents and I haven't seen poo poo about a shirts vs skins beach volleyball game to decide the fate of the old boathouse and CIG et all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Latin Pheonix posted:

Funnily enough, I'm reading through it myself and it's making me unduly angry. The tone, the unrelated rants, the unnecessary case law, it's all a nightmare to read for what should have been a quite straightforward response.

As has been said, the whole thing reads like something Chris/Ortwin dictated and the FKKS lawyers tried their best to clean up and make presentable for the court. On the other hand, FKKS seem to be quite proud of their fame as a reputation management firm, so I wouldn't be surprised if their very aggressive defence of Ortwin is part of the service they're providing CIG first and foremost (protect Ortwin (and Chris?) first, CIG if they can).

I might do an effortpost later today or tomorrow about this, basically comparing their response to the original complaint with some of my thoughts.

Yes, that's my impression as well.

It would also make sense why he went with a relatively cheap and low profile firm, instead of Cooley, LLP who they were threatening The Escapist with back in 2015.

Basically, you don't need $1000/hr attorneys to file your responses to a lawsuit. And you don't want to use a "no name" law firm either.

----------------

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If they filed a 12(b)(6) that's the legal equivalent of saying "nuh uh" and failing your hands

Esp. In context of the well written and meritorious Skadden complaint

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Phi230 posted:

If they filed a 12(b)(6) that's the legal equivalent of saying "nuh uh" and failing your hands

Also known as a CIG101.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dusty Lens posted:

If the presiding judge doesn't come home to find a manila folder sitting under his doormat containing a credit code allowing him to buy both an LTI Idris AND a Vanduul Scythe this whole thing has been a waste of time imo.

Along with a referral code and signed "Miku"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So how long will it take for the judge to respond to this and grant or reject the motion to dismiss?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
CIG claims the exclusivity clause meant that Cryengine would be exclusively to CIG, but saw nothing wrong with Cryengine being available to license the entirety of the last 5 years. CIG even went as far as to switch to another licenced version of the engine (lumberyard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard