Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

I'd be more of a fan of manhattans if I weren't in canada where they will always make them with crappy Canadian whiskey

I thought you use rye also I thought for purposes of a mixed drink Canadian bourbon is good.

I’m also of the school anything better than bulleit(Sp?) is a waste in a mixed drink - others may disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

I thought you use rye also I thought for purposes of a mixed drink Canadian bourbon is good.

I’m also of the school anything better than bulleit(Sp?) is a waste in a mixed drink - others may disagree

i use old overholt which is cheap as gently caress but makes a great manhattan. they also will charge you like $15 for a manhattan made with OO in chicago which is loving lol as gently caress since that's what a bottle will run you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kenny Logins posted:

I'd be more of a fan of manhattans if I weren't in canada where they will always make them with crappy Canadian whiskey

rye whisky good

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I am very much over Canadian rye and most American ryes that would be good for manhattans I'd be just as happy drinking straight

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Canada alcohol is good. steamwhistle is ok. molson is better than bud.

they’re not Belgium but for a pint and a burg they’re good.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
many small canadian microbrews are still very good and not super trendy so they are still drinkable yes

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
hot take: people only pretend Belgian beer is good because of Delirium- the everclear of beer.

it’s ok BTW but let’s just admit it’s good and not pretend to care what a lambic is.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I had an old fashioned too. I plan to have one more - probably just a whiskey or bourbon neat with a water bottle to round things out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

go to better bars / ask the bartender to make it with a specific hooch

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

go to better bars / ask the bartender to make it with a specific hooch

they purposely sabotage them and wish people ordered Toronto instead but they don’t

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Almanac Astounding Enterprises

it’s a sour but it doesn’t smash you in the face with it, they were most definitely going for a blend of flavors

quite enjoyable to split a 375mL bottle, and I might even have been able to handle a full one myself (whereas most bottles of sour that size I prefer to split 3+ ways)

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

evan Williams white label good or bad? local just started carrying it :cheers:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
good thing about living in a cold place, you can save fridge space by keeping your beer cold outside

silver lining and all that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ragtime All The Time posted:

it's the bottled in bond (100 proof). probably worth a shot but I've never tried it. worst case it'll be great for cocktails

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

maskenfreiheit posted:

they purposely sabotage them and wish people ordered Toronto instead but they don’t

lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
according to ye olde bartender's guide, manhattans were made with canadian whisky during prohibition, so it's not like the recipe's incorrect

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

maskenfreiheit posted:

hot take: people only pretend Belgian beer is good because of Delirium- the everclear of beer.

it’s ok BTW but let’s just admit it’s good and not pretend to care what a lambic is.

:wrong:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

i like belgian beer because of chimay, i've had delirium like, twice? couldn't even tell you if i liked it or not it's been so long.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

it's the bottled in bond (100 proof). probably worth a shot but I've never tried it. worst case it'll be great for cocktails

After trying it it seems fine enough, the price is right too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chimay blue is Real Good (and try having it on tap in Brussels)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i fukken love belgians but it feels like its getting harder to get them as liquor stores have been dedicating more shelf space and resources for local stuff. like, just in-state stuff. theres even some out of state beers i'm not seeing as frequently as i used to.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
current drink status

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol so last night we got pissed drinking beer, mate of mine and me

and I fell asleep snoring like hard out, like ive never done before

and so I wake up and my throat is sooooo fuckin sore

and then later on today it feels like I have something stuck in my throat, feels like a piece of pork fat idk

so im coughing and hoicking and everything I can to try to get this poo poo out

and I look down my throat in the mirror and see that the dangly bit which apparently is called an uvula is swollen and long and touching my tongue, and god it feels so hosed up

like its constantly causing gag like reactions and when i talk its so so so weird its hosed up my friends

gently caress I hope its down and normal in the morning

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Belgian beer is really good on average* and anyone who thinks Belgian beers are not among the very best in the world simply don't know jack poo poo about beer.

*their pilsners/lagers suck tho

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
i don't like the banana and clove flavors that are present in a lot of belgian beers from their yeast strains so i typically avoid belgians. lambic is great though.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
drinking an ommegang quad rn

my tastebuds generally make things worse (cilantro tastes like soap, some beers just taste like crackers, etc) but i'm real glad i dont have the belgian->bananacloves gene

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ragtime All The Time posted:

it's really great

don't drink it neat -- add at least one ice cube. just in general whiskey is meant to be consumed at 35-40% abv.

cheap whiskeys are often pre-diluted to 40%, and suffer for having ice added. they just taste like watered down whiskey. these are whiskeys to be consumed neat.

more expensive whiskeys affirmatively require a significant amount of added ice or water to get them down from cask/bottle strength to an appropriate drinking dilution. the flavors grow stronger when you dilute them, because the bracing alcohol content masked them before.

--

this is also why wild turkey 101 is like 10x better than wild turkey 80. they're the same whiskey, just the 101 isn't pre-diluted, so you can pour it over a couple ice cubes and enjoy it "opening up"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kenny Logins posted:

whiskey has a strong flavor, so most whiskey cocktails are aggressively spirit-forward

consequently there's no such thing as a mixing whiskey. if you don't like it straight, you ain't gonna like it in a cocktail

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/950063896555130885

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's really great

don't drink it neat -- add at least one ice cube. just in general whiskey is meant to be consumed at 35-40% abv.
small addendum: if a bottling is listed somewhere between 41% and 49% try it neat (first) because the bottler bottled it at that level for a reason.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kenny Logins posted:

small addendum: if a bottling is listed somewhere between 41% and 49% try it neat (first) because the bottler bottled it at that level for a reason.

they bottled it at that level because you're expected to add some water or ice, and enjoy the changes in aroma as the whiskey "blooms" so to speak

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

nowhere in finland has ever had a shortage of empty spirits bottles

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they bottled it at that level because you're expected to add some water or ice, and enjoy the changes in aroma as the whiskey "blooms" so to speak
I've seen interviews with distillers that specifically say what I said. maybe some say what you say. I say try it straight before you dilute just in case, but if you prefer diluted then power to you, it's your whiskey

e: I would also say in most cases if you're dealing with non-bib high proofs you're better off diluting with cold water rather than ice. cheaper stuff is fine to use a nice big ice ball or w/e

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 8, 2018

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

maskenfreiheit posted:

sounds like something a tasteless nobody from iowa would say

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kenny Logins posted:

e: I would also say in most cases if you're dealing with non-bib high proofs you're better off diluting with cold water rather than ice. cheaper stuff is fine to use a nice big ice ball or w/e

i'm neutral on water vs ice, but i am not neutral at all on those giant ice balls

giant ice balls are meant to avoid melting by having low surface area relative to their mass. they are excellent for preserving the temperature and dilution level in a pre-diluted drink, like a cocktail, or a low-abv whiskey. but they will take ages and ages to reach target dilution levels on a pour you actually wanted to get down to the 35-40% sweet spot. and that's not fun.

if you intend to chill your drink with a giant ice ball, you may wish to stir it with ice or water before pouring it into the final vessel with the ice ball, or else you will never hit the desired numbers (and flavours)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i am so glad my taste buds are not sensitive enough to care about meltwater in my drinks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

prefect posted:

i am so glad my taste buds are not sensitive enough to care about meltwater in my drinks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Corla Plankun posted:

but i'm real glad i dont have the belgian->bananacloves gene

the what?

if your tripel/quad tastes like banana bread, they hosed it up

brewing trips and quad is real fuckin hard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

if you cared about the meltwater in your drinks you would taste more stuff

don't be a snob: put ice in your whiskey, it tastes better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you cared about the meltwater in your drinks you would taste more stuff

don't be a snob: put ice in your whiskey, it tastes better

i do put ice in all my drinks. step one is always "fill glass with ice" :shrug:

i was more saying "i'm not one of those people who put cold rocks in their drinks so they don't accidentally get any water in there"