Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

xanif posted:

Can HE shatters trigger fire or do they have to be pens?

Shatters can trigger fires yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
after being a lil bummed out about he Giulio Cesare from the start, I think I'm finally fining my stride with it. :)

e:

ok what the hell is going on? :staredog:

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 5, 2018

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I finally figured out the secret sauce as to why I hate the Yorck but own bones in the Algerie:

The Yorck has a 30mm citadel deck, the Algerie has an 80mm citadel deck. That's huge when you're a long range HE ship.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The pubbies in this loving game make me despair. Three capture point game, 2/3 of the team beelines for point A, rest go for point C, nobody goes for point B. The 2/3 of the team who go to A meet two (2) enemy ships there, and then proceed to do donuts and pussyfoot around for ~10 minutes while the enemies cap point A under their noses, point B uncontested and then loving murder the few ships at point C, wrapping around to destroy team A.

From the start of the match a few people were pinging the map and requesting help for point C, then letting people know that point C needed help, urging someone to take a look at point B etc. Nothing.

I just want to punch these people through their monitors so badly.

E: and of course all the destroyers were pissing around point A as well, so nobody at C had any scouting and was just getting murdered by unseen cruisers and destroyers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 5, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

If pubbies generally played well, you wouldn't play as well as you currently do. Something to think about! :wink:

Also this sounds like a regular match on Neighbours.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I've been monkeying around a bit more with my DDs and I have to ask - if you find yourself as the DD with poorer concealment vis-a-vis the other team's DDs, how can you effectively fight them and contest caps etc.? Thankfully I've managed to do fairly okay in knife fights, but I feel like I'm relying a bit more on chance than I really should. In particular it's a bit of an issue with my Sims since I haven't managed to grind enough points for CE yet, but it does crop up occasionally on my other DDs.

For what it's worth, I have tried to mitigate my poorer concealment by trying to get to the caps first (so at least I'm not the one trying to hurry in and I have a bit more time to prepare myself). But that's only part of the answer.

On a brighter note, for a comedy boat when the Okhotnik is in its element it can do surprisingly well (even if the glacial gun traverse is a pain in the rear end).

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 6, 2018

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Soup Inspector posted:

I've been monkeying around a bit more with my DDs and I have to ask - if you find yourself as the DD with poorer concealment vis-a-vis the other team's DDs, how can you effectively fight them and contest caps etc.? Thankfully I've managed to do fairly okay in knife fights, but I feel like I'm relying a bit more on chance than I really should. In particular it's a bit of an issue with my Sims since I haven't managed to grind enough points for CE yet, but it does crop up occasionally on my other DDs.

For what it's worth, I have tried to mitigate my poorer concealment by trying to get to the caps first (so at least I'm not the one trying to hurry in and I have a bit more time to prepare myself). But that's only part of the answer.

On a brighter note, for a comedy boat when the Okhotnik is in its element it can do surprisingly well (even if the glacial gun traverse is a pain in the rear end).

I think there's 2 parts to this:

If you're in a DD, you should have a dedicated 10pt captain for it by tier 6. Not having CE on a non-Russian DD is a sin and you are heavily handicapped. Some of the co-op missions do award 10 point captains though so look into that if you're new.

Generally though, aside from the Russian gunboats that are all about dakadaka on other ships at range, you have to have map awareness:

1) What ships outspot me? Do I have radar ships supporting me or a stealthy DD to spot for me?

2)If it's stealthier, you tend to be able to outgun it: can I wreck it with my guns, and who is backing him up?

The big thing is that losing a cap early isn't huge if you force an enemy away allowing you to cap it right back. Keep track of the minimap and last known positions of ships and act accordingly.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Rule #1 of DDing: Do not die early. The longer the game goes on, the more valuable you are. The value of your stealth spotting goes up, speed to shift to a cap is really important and all those scary BBs and cruisers are now one torp hit away from death. Smoke firing is annoying early game but when your a BB with 11k health left and your heal on cooldown, it can be suddenly really lethal.

Rule #2 of DDing: DO NOT DIE EARLY.

Edit: The Gearing is leaving a really sour taste in my mouth. I don't know why I thought the guns would be ok, but they are just a continuation of the terrible US DD guns. Good enough for raining fires down on a BB at 8k, and not much more. Forget hitting a DD moving at full speed past maybe 7k/8k and even cruisers start to become a challenge at that range. Oh and every match has 3-5 radar ships on the other team, so forget about sitting in smoke and finding the range. Its gun damage is a loving mirage.

cheese fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 6, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I really, really hate how so much of ranked can hinge on random bullshit from the very start.

Enemy team brings two radar cruisers. Your team brings two Kutuzovs. You lose.

Soup Inspector posted:

Depends. Sometimes you can goad an enemy DD into blowing concealment and shooting at you, but a good player won't do this. A good player who has concealment will either harass you with torps, or just spot you, and let his team do the lifting.

As a DD, you should always be asking yourself this question: What happens if I get spotted right now? If the answer to that question is "I loving die," you probably hosed up.

The first thing I do as a DD ( as anything, really ), is I hit tab. I look at the roster. If I'm a DD, I want to know if there are radar ships, what DDs I'm up against. If there's a carrier, I wanna know which one.

Now you look at that mini-map. You try to anticipate where those ships will be going- you can't always, people are stupid. But they'll reveal themselves. You keep looking at that map. You track them.

As a poor concealment DD, you have to rely more on tools to get the job done. Russian DDs rely on speed. German DDs rely on utility. US DDs rely on their stupid smokes.You play cautiously, and exploit opportunities. You harass. If you catch a concealment reliant DD out of position, you spit on it and call it names until it dies or runs away.

While US smokes are very good, it is important that you drag them around as you're laying them down. This isn't just to potentially help your team. Dragging your smoke over a wider area accomplishes a few things. It:

1) Creates a cloud of failure for your teammates to hide in.
2) If I am an enemy DD, and I see a small cloud of smoke, I won't hesitate to torp it. I can pressure you out or kill you. If I see a large cloud of smoke, it becomes much harder to guess where you are- especially if you're moving around in it.
3) If you are forced to retreat, you can use the smoke to block vision as you motor away.

If you're worried about getting spotted, reduce speed to 1/4th and you can smoke while puttering along. Just how much you want to drag out your smoke depends, but you can always lay it down full throttle, then turn out, loop around, and come into it from the hidden side.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Is Sims any good? Or did it get power creeped to hell?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Herr Bazooka posted:

Is Sims any good? Or did it get power creeped to hell?

Sims kinda stayed about the same, because they bumped the Kiev up to 8 and the Minsk isn't as good, and the Akatsuki is only marginally better than the old Hatsuharu, while the Maass is only ok, and the Shiratsuyu is not good. Only the brand new Gadjah Mada is a shock to the system.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Thanks. Got 2000 doubloons from 2 supercontainers from Advent thingie and wanna buy a premium as they are on sale. Pity cant buy Atlanta for gold.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I finally completed the 15 day grind for the Christmas event.

My reward? Two hydroacustic searches.

Thanks, Wargaming. You always find a way to disappoint.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The greatest claim I have ever heard from a player when I said not to rush the enemy cap one by one in standard battle:

"There is no such thing as standard battle you douche.. it is a RANDOM battle... NOW STFU NEWB."

My reply:

The standard result ensued:

They had a Danae who got 2 kills including our braindead carrier.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 6, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blindeye posted:

The standard result ensued:

I've had two of those today. In one of them I had four kills, 115k damage done and several defenses. The last minute of our loss consisted of a 230 xp Atlanta calling me a noob who should delete the game.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I guess I’m hosed if I only have 10 of the advent points, huh? No make up allowed?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Velius posted:

I guess I’m hosed if I only have 10 of the advent points, huh? No make up allowed?

We needed 15 and they gave us 20 to complete, so yeah

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Finished up my Advent mission and got a Defensive AA upgrade and 25 Red Dragon flags. I'm convinced Wargaming just hates me :smithicide:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Timmy Horsey posted:

Finished up my Advent mission and got a Defensive AA upgrade and 25 Red Dragon flags. I'm convinced Wargaming just hates me :smithicide:

References my five damage control mod 1s.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Like a loving sucker I bought five big Santa boxes.

4 x Frosty Fir Tree camo
1 x +XP signal flag

Well I mean 60 Frosty Fir Tree will make grinding a lot faster but still. God damnit. I should frame this post and look at it the next time I think about buying blind boxes.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I'm confused about USN DD's.

They have strong guns with good rotation and good fire rate but they have lovely arcs so if you're dueling another destroyer you want to be as close as possible without being so close that you can't avoid torpedoes, right?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

xanif posted:

They have strong guns with good rotation and good fire rate but they have lovely arcs so if you're dueling another destroyer you want to be as close as possible without being so close that you can't avoid torpedoes, right?

Either that or make them chase you.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

xanif posted:

Yes. US DDs excel at fighting at their detection radius down to about 3km, when torps become far too difficult to dodge. The Gearing's own torpedoes, however, are the stealthiest fuckers you'll see in a DD duel, so if you have them up be sure to drop them and force the hostile DD to turn and give you more time to hammer them with your guns... or get a free torp hit in. When dropping torps, don't loving sit in the torp launcher view until you are ready to fire, and get them off ASAP. Set the two spreads far from each other, focusing them in on a DD at range is stupid and your goal is to force them to have to turn to dodge one, not to actually hit. Don't fire wide angle, though, that's for plebs.

Blindeye posted:

References my five damage control mod 1s.

6 AA Mods and 2 DC Mods. Though... I have a LOT of these mods in general. I could certainly use some more RADARs and Engine Boosts.

In other news, the Bismarck collection is back, I think. There's containers up for a 4 win combat mission.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 6, 2018

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

My two supercontainers were x50 Irish camo and x100 of the +5 speed flags.

Good enough. :unsmith:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

Yes. US DDs excel at fighting at their detection radius down to about 3km, when torps become far too difficult to dodge. The Gearing's own torpedoes, however, are the stealthiest fuckers you'll see in a DD duel, so if you have them up be sure to drop them and force the hostile DD to turn and give you more time to hammer them with your guns... or get a free torp hit in. When dropping torps, don't loving sit in the torp launcher view until you are ready to fire, and get them off ASAP. Set the two spreads far from each other, focusing them in on a DD at range is stupid and your goal is to force them to have to turn to dodge one, not to actually hit. Don't fire wide angle, though, that's for plebs.

6 AA Mods and 2 DC Mods. Though... I have a LOT of these mods in general. I could certainly use some more RADARs and Engine Boosts.

In other news, the Bismarck collection is back, I think. There's containers up for a 4 win combat mission.

AA mods are useful on USN dds and CAs though....

Out of 20+ supercontainers I have never gotten an engine or radar mod. None.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Time to put Steven Segal in a Colorado. Flamu's Sept 2017 guide still relevant? Or do you have a different build now?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I just got my Colorado a couple days ago, and i hate it! You really, really miss those extra guns the New Mexico had.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Its ok, I play German BBs which have 8 guns all the time

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

I finally had some good Gearing games last night and I totally agree with all of that. I feel like the Gearing needs to be firmly in one of several different modes: 1) Using your 5.9km stealth to spot/stalk ships and preparing to launch torps at BBs/CAs, 2) Smoke firing at a BB from safety or 3) Pushing hard into a cap to zone out a DD, keeping your bow pointed at them and rushing them to keep them in range of your high dps but bad arc guns. Don't try to do the "DD's circling at 8km and shooting at each other" thing because you suck at it. Your shots won't hit and some BB is gonna hit you with a stray AP round that full pens you for 8k damage.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
How does module durability work anyway? I’m about to get my first 19 point captain and I’m thinking of getting the expert maintenance perk for my bismarck/tirpitz. Is that going to push modules up in hp or something or is it just a % chance to ignore damage?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Blindeye posted:

I think there's 2 parts to this:

If you're in a DD, you should have a dedicated 10pt captain for it by tier 6. Not having CE on a non-Russian DD is a sin and you are heavily handicapped. Some of the co-op missions do award 10 point captains though so look into that if you're new.

Generally though, aside from the Russian gunboats that are all about dakadaka on other ships at range, you have to have map awareness:

1) What ships outspot me? Do I have radar ships supporting me or a stealthy DD to spot for me?

2)If it's stealthier, you tend to be able to outgun it: can I wreck it with my guns, and who is backing him up?

The big thing is that losing a cap early isn't huge if you force an enemy away allowing you to cap it right back. Keep track of the minimap and last known positions of ships and act accordingly.

Alright, first of all I should probably issue a mea culpa, then - since I haven't been doing any DD lines, I don't actually have a DD captain already set to go. I'd also been ignoring the Operations since I had assumed it wasn't worth the time to do so.

I'll admit that I probably get too zeroed in on having to cap right this instant, so that last part is a good reality check.

cheese posted:

Rule #1 of DDing: Do not die early. The longer the game goes on, the more valuable you are. The value of your stealth spotting goes up, speed to shift to a cap is really important and all those scary BBs and cruisers are now one torp hit away from death. Smoke firing is annoying early game but when your a BB with 11k health left and your heal on cooldown, it can be suddenly really lethal.

Rule #2 of DDing: DO NOT DIE EARLY.

Duly noted! Thank you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Depends. Sometimes you can goad an enemy DD into blowing concealment and shooting at you, but a good player won't do this. A good player who has concealment will either harass you with torps, or just spot you, and let his team do the lifting.

As a DD, you should always be asking yourself this question: What happens if I get spotted right now? If the answer to that question is "I loving die," you probably hosed up.

The first thing I do as a DD ( as anything, really ), is I hit tab. I look at the roster. If I'm a DD, I want to know if there are radar ships, what DDs I'm up against. If there's a carrier, I wanna know which one.

Now you look at that mini-map. You try to anticipate where those ships will be going- you can't always, people are stupid. But they'll reveal themselves. You keep looking at that map. You track them.

As a poor concealment DD, you have to rely more on tools to get the job done. Russian DDs rely on speed. German DDs rely on utility. US DDs rely on their stupid smokes.You play cautiously, and exploit opportunities. You harass. If you catch a concealment reliant DD out of position, you spit on it and call it names until it dies or runs away.

While US smokes are very good, it is important that you drag them around as you're laying them down. This isn't just to potentially help your team. Dragging your smoke over a wider area accomplishes a few things. It:

1) Creates a cloud of failure for your teammates to hide in.
2) If I am an enemy DD, and I see a small cloud of smoke, I won't hesitate to torp it. I can pressure you out or kill you. If I see a large cloud of smoke, it becomes much harder to guess where you are- especially if you're moving around in it.
3) If you are forced to retreat, you can use the smoke to block vision as you motor away.

If you're worried about getting spotted, reduce speed to 1/4th and you can smoke while puttering along. Just how much you want to drag out your smoke depends, but you can always lay it down full throttle, then turn out, loop around, and come into it from the hidden side.

This is so useful that it's not even funny. Thanks a million!

I apologise yet again for asking a billion questions, but speaking of the Tirpitz I got it in santa boxes a little while back. Since I'd like to avoid joining the infamous ranks of most Tirpitz players, how relevant is Yuro's How To Tirpitz vid nowadays and what build should I go for for my upgrades and skills? I've taken it out for a few spins but I've yet to hit my stride. I know the "traditional" Tirpitz/Bismarck build is secondaries based but from what I've heard elsewhere that's not as effective as it used to be, and I keep being focused by other BBs/catching fire when I try to get into position. I suspect the answer is at least partly "Have a better sense of positioning, you moron" but it's good to get my suspicions confirmed in that case. :v:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

The secondaries build is fun but they've nerfed their fire chance from 8% to 5% so that really cut down on their damage output potential since they're pretty garbage at getting damage on BBs even with manual secondaries and IFHE. That said, it is still pretty effective at making encroaching DDs and CLs gently caress off since the rain of fire will knock out modules and (with manual secondaries) chunk down their HP. You're basically a 11.3km circle of gently caress-off for anything that comes close.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Stealth on the Tirpitz matters more now, because 12km concealment lets you position yourself to use your ships tools effectively or disengage if you're focused. My current build is 14 points with AFT and Stealth, getting rid of manual secondaries. It lets me harass at range, because the secondaries/torps work better as a threat than as your main tool now.

You shouldn't be alone, ever. Work with your team, back up DDs near caps, ambush when you have good shots. The torps are used best at point blank range only, but the threat can make an enemy dodge and give you broadside.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Strabo4 posted:

You're basically a 11.3km circle of gently caress-off for anything that comes close.

That's not really true. Even back before the fire chance nerf. Its main utility is psychological. Players sometimes cannot deal with the constant sound of being hit even if it is not doing damage and make mistakes like turning and giving broadside to flee. If a DD wants to make a run at you, secondaries won't stop a determined run.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

MikeC posted:

That's not really true. Even back before the fire chance nerf. Its main utility is psychological. Players sometimes cannot deal with the constant sound of being hit even if it is not doing damage and make mistakes like turning and giving broadside to flee. If a DD wants to make a run at you, secondaries won't stop a determined run.

Ummm I still regularly pull 40-60k secondary damage on most games. The only difference with tirpitz now is you can’t just face tank through the middle of the enemy.

It used to be you could literally just point forward and kill everything, now you have to hang back until the main ball is committed before you push up, and that’s just because most of the other ships will be tier 9 and 10. If you’re top tier you can still just push up and wreck face.

The Fire chance nerf hurt a bit, but your secondaries are still a big chunk of damage and a major threat to dd’s of all tiers.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

MikeC posted:

Time to put Steven Segal in a Colorado. Flamu's Sept 2017 guide still relevant? Or do you have a different build now?

Does he have AFT or Fire Prevention there? I think he's swapped to the latter now with the UK BB's HE spam.

Burlinton
Jul 4, 2014
Hating the fourth set of tasks in this Battle of the North Cape Campaign. Seems to be a grind for BB damage since I refuse to buy the Duke of York since that is the final prize.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Burlinton posted:

Hating the fourth set of tasks in this Battle of the North Cape Campaign. Seems to be a grind for BB damage since I refuse to buy the Duke of York since that is the final prize.

The North Cape campaign is very transparently designed to annoy you into spending money on Duke of York so you can clear the other New Year Raid campaign before it expires.

There's no other reason for them to time-gate the stages of it, or put so many stars behind tasks you can only clear with the campaign's own reward.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’ve had no issue doing the missions. Remember you can repeat the easy ones to keep getting stars. And high caliber is pretty easy to get in ranked with a battleship, I get it about every third or fourth round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Burlinton posted:

As soon as the last task set unlocks and people start to earn the Duke of York, it'll be a great time to farm BB damage in other ship classes. :getin: