Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Quiet Feet posted:

Back-to-it-ive-ness: Eh. Probably won't play this again. Road Runner cartoons were my favorites of the original Looney Tunes but man, nobody knows how to make them into a drat game.

I'd like a game where you play Wile E Coyote and have to set traps & poo poo to catch the Road Runner, like Dungeon Keeper or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm not sure I've ever seen a better cartoon to video game adaptation than the Tom & Jerry arena brawlers (Fists of Furry and War of the Whiskers). Those are exactly what a Tom & Jerry game needed to be.

Yes, Capcom has made a ton of quality titles based on Disney cartoons, but I feel like they'd probably work just as well if you substituted another IP.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I liked Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage and Duck Dodgers on SNES. But then again, I usually game genied my way through em since they were so difficult.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greententacle posted:

I'd like a game where you play Wile E Coyote and have to set traps & poo poo to catch the Road Runner, like Dungeon Keeper or something.

Wile E's Deception.

I'm trying to think of a WB cartoon based game that I've enjoyed and the closest I'm getting is Crazy Castle which I'm not really sure should count.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I really enjoyed Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout as a kid, but I'm not 100% sure I'd qualify it as a "good" game.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I’m pretty sure Puzzle Star Sweep’s name was supposed to be just “Star Sweep” and whoever made the manual/cover put it all together in that green bar. Other games, Crossroad Crisis comes to mind, just have the game genre (like Puzzle) up there and the title lower down. Plus that sticker on the top just said Star Sweep.

Shows how budget the releases were. My mom loved all them, though, doubly so because they were under $5

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Kins posted:

I really enjoyed Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout as a kid, but I'm not 100% sure I'd qualify it as a "good" game.

I am 100% sure that I would not.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
My OSSC arrived, and I finally got all my RGB stuff sorted.

Hoo boy it is like night and day. Also nice to see my NES RGB install worked perfectly. I hadn't really been able to test it properly until now.

Snakeman
Nov 23, 2007

"Die, little Ninja."
Best Wile E Coyote game is probably still cliff hanger on the C64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkb3thB5ilo

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I liked Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage

:stare:

Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday is the best Looney Tunes game for the SNES and probably overall. And not just for the acid trip that is the Alps level. I loving love that stage.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That metal cube on the right is not actually brass :stare: .

Really nice work on getting the NAC polished up and back to snuff, though.

1. Do those joystick balls and buttons have specific color names, or are they just generic "green" and "pink"?
2. Are you planning to look into adapting non-arcade systems to run on its CRT, or is this cabinet basically dedicated to arcade PCBs?

thanks!

1. no it's just generic green and pink. both sanwa and seimitsu just copy each other so everything mostly matches:

https://www.rs2006.co.jp/e/sanwaseimitsu/Sanwa2017.pdf
https://www.rs2006.co.jp/e/sanwaseimitsu/Seimitsu2017.pdf

These are their catalogs, if you change the year you can go back to 2015

2. Just PCBs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Kins posted:

Yeah it wasn’t “good” but I also played the crap out of it. It was pretty hard if I recall, not due to any real challenge other than poor controls

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I think the Sylvester and Tweety Genesis game holds up pretty well, but I had it back in the day so that may be the nostalgia talking.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Wasn't there a Tiny Toons game for Genesis that was pretty good? Those should count for WB games, right?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Random Stranger posted:

Wile E's Deception.

I'm trying to think of a WB cartoon based game that I've enjoyed and the closest I'm getting is Crazy Castle which I'm not really sure should count.

Sure they're just reskins but they're far from the only licensed games to have little to no connection between the license and the gameplay

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

mariooncrack posted:

Wasn't there a Tiny Toons game for Genesis that was pretty good? Those should count for WB games, right?

Yeah there are at least 3 Tiny Toons games that are pretty solid, and then quite a few that aren't.

Looney Tunes Space Race is one of the best WB toon games from what I hear.

Duck Amuck on DS is a failed but kind of admirable experiment from WayForward in doing a loose minigame collection based on the classic Daffy Duck short. You're encouraged to gently caress with Daffy like in the cartoon (the player using the stylus is a natural match with the animator) and certain actions will bring up a minigame. IIRC there is a progression where the goal is to play them all and then something happens, but I forget what. They had to get a special dispensation from Nintendo for one of the minigames, which you play with the DS closed using only the shoulder buttons and following Daffy's cues shouted from the DS speakers, because normally of course closing the system puts it into sleep mode.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Tiny Toons is one of my favorite NES games.

GutBomb posted:

I bought my model 1 ps1 at a thrift store and it had a burned copy of top shop in it.

Alert the FBI, shut that place down.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mariooncrack posted:

Konami made a lot of Tiny Toons games back then and I imagine they're all at least okay.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Konami made a lot of Tiny Toons games back then and I imagine they're all at least okay.

As a kid I played the SNES Tiny Toons (buster busts loose) by the Konami team that would become Treasure a whole lot and loved it. It's weird, I didn't really even care about the show back then but the full grown man at EB was extremely enthusiastic about it when I asked what was good for SNES lately and well he was right

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 7, 2018

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

One of my good friends with taste that I respect swears up and down that the NES Tiny Toons games are some of the best on the system

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
I probably should've asked this a week ago before it went back in stock, but I just wanted to confirm that the Beharbros Toro box is the best bet for Dreamcast with a Framemeister?

https://www.beharbros.com/toro

I assume I would just use SCART from the Toro to the Framemeister, and toggle RGB/VGA on the Toro where applicable?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Spoderman posted:

One of my good friends with taste that I respect swears up and down that the NES Tiny Toons games are some of the best on the system

The first one is a Mario 3 clone that hates you. The second is a minigame collection that also hates you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

As a kid I played the SNES Tiny Toons (buster busts loose) by the Konami team that would become Treasure a whole lot and loved it. It's weird, I didn't really even care about the show back then but the full grown man at EB was extremely enthusiastic about it when I asked what was good for SNES lately and well he was right

The proto-Treasure guys worked on quite a few licensed games for Konami but I wanna say they were all gone or working on other stuff before then, I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: looking over the credits, Konami put out around 10 Tiny Toons games across NES, Game Boy, SNES and MD and the Treasure people had almost nothing to do with any of them - lotsa Goemon and TMNT people for the NES/SNES games, Konami's usual Game Boy team for the GB games and the Sega b-team for the MD games.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

luigionlsd posted:

I probably should've asked this a week ago before it went back in stock, but I just wanted to confirm that the Beharbros Toro box is the best bet for Dreamcast with a Framemeister?

https://www.beharbros.com/toro

I assume I would just use SCART from the Toro to the Framemeister, and toggle RGB/VGA on the Toro where applicable?

That’s what I have and I think it looks great through the Framemeister and on my 20L5. My dad is a huge Dreamcast fan and it’s the only console he plays (lol) so I got him the Akura, which looks just as good if not slightly better on a big HD screen. Personally I’m becoming more interested in direct-to-HD solutions lately because I often bring consoles to friends’ places but if you have multiple outputs the Toro rules.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tiny Toons, Chip and Dale, and Mickey Mousecapade were my favorite NES games as a childe. I played the poo poo out of Buster Busts Loose on the SNES.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The proto-Treasure guys worked on quite a few licensed games for Konami but I wanna say they were all gone or working on other stuff before then, I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: looking over the credits, Konami put out around 10 Tiny Toons games across NES, Game Boy, SNES and MD and the Treasure people had almost nothing to do with any of them - lotsa Goemon and TMNT people for the NES/SNES games, Konami's usual Game Boy team for the GB games and the Sega b-team for the MD games.

I think Treasure made the GBA game that was essentially a bad prototype for Astro Boy Omega Factor

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fawf posted:

I think Treasure made the GBA game that was essentially a bad prototype for Astro Boy Omega Factor

Yeah, that and the cancelled PS2 fighting game that leaked online a few years ago.

The GBA game's not awful, just forgettable. Even the Astro Boy game gets by on fanservice, I feel.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The two different Scooby-Doo Mystery games, though not great, are both very good examples of the developer finding the right direction to go with the license. The best possible realization of a Scooby-Doo game would be a kid-friendly version of Amnesia.

Also, Konami's TMNT games were technically adaptations of the cartoon, right? Those have to count as the best adaptation, to the point that I didn't even think of them because they've always been an essential part of the franchise to me.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 7, 2018

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The packaging of the first NES turtles game had the comic book style scowling turtles all wearing red.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Ahaha, I was only thinking of the arcade game and what came afterward. I forgot about TMNT for two completely different reasons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm not a big TMNT guy so I could be wrong but I think a lot of the characters from the TMNT Tournament Fighter games are from the comics?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

weird it has been a long rumor/myth that buster busts loose specifically was Treasure in some form, guess thats busted

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

moller posted:

The packaging of the first NES turtles game had the comic book style scowling turtles all wearing red.
I've always suspected that NES Turtles was some sort of SMB2-esque reskin of an unrelated game. Like Konami got the TMNT license and then shoehorned it into some other game mid-production so they could crank it out as soon as possible. The game has plenty of token TMNT trappings but when you look at all the enemies it just gets weird. Fire guy, chainsaw guy, giant bugs, jumping man, naked frog, ceiling mosquitos, eyeball thing, flame shooting rabbit robot, etc. On the other hand a lot of licensed games were just weird so that's probably all it is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Minidust posted:

I've always suspected that NES Turtles was some sort of SMB2-esque reskin of an unrelated game. Like Konami got the TMNT license and then shoehorned it into some other game mid-production so they could crank it out as soon as possible. The game has plenty of token TMNT trappings but when you look at all the enemies it just gets weird. Fire guy, chainsaw guy, giant bugs, jumping man, naked frog, ceiling mosquitos, eyeball thing, flame shooting rabbit robot, etc. On the other hand a lot of licensed games were just weird so that's probably all it is.

That's kinda what it is - it's heavily derived from a Famicom game called Getsu Fuuma Den, to the point where the Japanese version is called "Gekikame Ninja Den", partly because nobody in Japan knew what the hell "teenage mutant ninja turtles" were but also as a reference to that earlier game. It's not a 1:1 reskin or anything but a lot of the sounds, enemy/character movements, structure, etc is very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuU2rvPmGI

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Looney Tunes games you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKcD808luCc

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Miles McCloud posted:

I think the Sylvester and Tweety Genesis game holds up pretty well, but I had it back in the day so that may be the nostalgia talking.

I replayed this a couple of years ago and I would say it still holds up. Pretty large, colorful graphics, decent platforming design, good renditions of the show's music, but it's a quite hard game that actively hates you and expects you to memorize both enemy and trap positions.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I really can't afford a flashcart for my super nintendo at the moment. I have been hearing a lot about repro carts and honestly I have no problem buying them as long as the fact is stated and they are cheap. I have found various repros on Aliexpress for Turtles in Time, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. Do repros work fine from Aliexpress?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wizgot posted:

I really can't afford a flashcart for my super nintendo at the moment. I have been hearing a lot about repro carts and honestly I have no problem buying them as long as the fact is stated and they are cheap. I have found various repros on Aliexpress for Turtles in Time, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. Do repros work fine from Aliexpress?

Is getting those 3+ games actually cheaper than a Super Everdrive from krikzz’s store?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had bad experience with Megadrive repros from Aliexpress because their circuit board was thicker than normal and I had to use a lot of strength to get the cart out of my system. It ended up bending some pins on my cart reader, so I swore off repros and just got flashcarts instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I would not suggest getting repros for RPGS and other games with battery saves in particular since they usually don't include a battery or sram to actually store your saves.

They're also usually hilariously low quality and fragile, so it's probably better to save up for the basic Super Everdrive model.