Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TwoPair posted:

He's currently immortal. Only Spider-Man can kill him, so as long as he stays away from Spider-folk or some awful "i have no mouth and I must scream" scenario where he gets like decapitated and isn't allowed to die, he's unstoppable

Well, now I want Green Goblin to throw Kraven off a bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure that Scarlet Spider undid the immortality thing when Kaine killed him and then brought him back to life. I thought that was the entire point of it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Real talk, Spider-man refusing to kill him makes him seem like a huge rear end in a top hat.

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure that Scarlet Spider undid the immortality thing when Kaine killed him and then brought him back to life. I thought that was the entire point of it?

Uh, no. You read that sequence of events entirely backwards.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I'm pretty sure Kraven's killed people Peter cares about before, so while he might be an rear end in a top hat to refuse to kill Kraven, it's not like the dude doesn't deserve whatever suffering happens to him.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I thought it was some kind of curse-loophole. Like

"Kraven! The next time you hunt Spider-Person is the time you die! So Sayeth Something Important!"
"Huh... so... what if I just hunt everyone else?"
"I Did Not Account For that!"
"I'm gonna wrestle a kraken!"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought at the end of the story that resurrected Kraven Peter was all ready to kill him but he was stopped by someone who had gained future sight saying that killing him would lead to Peter becoming Kraven, except worse.

I think there was a What If that went into exactly this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KaosMachina posted:

I'm pretty sure Kraven's killed people Peter cares about before, so while he might be an rear end in a top hat to refuse to kill Kraven, it's not like the dude doesn't deserve whatever suffering happens to him.

Well considering Kraven is a huge danger to others as well it makes Peter an rear end in a top hat for not being pragmatic.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

TwoPair posted:

He's currently immortal. Only Spider-Man can kill him, so as long as he stays away from Spider-folk or some awful "i have no mouth and I must scream" scenario where he gets like decapitated and isn't allowed to die, he's unstoppable

Someone pay Deadpool to chop off his head and then he can pal around with Silvermane on R/C cars.

Kraven the Monster Truck, yo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KaosMachina posted:

I mean he almost killed Peter, buried him in a shallow grave and ran around in his costume for a while like a lunatic killing a random minor villain.

I think that's the worst he's done to Peter personally though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Captain America probably wouldn't object at this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't remember Kraven killing any people, various members of his family definitely have, but I'm not positive he has. Did he kill a criminal when he was dressed as Spider-Man during Last Hunt?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, those human heads on his wall had to come from somewhere.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skwirl posted:

I don't remember Kraven killing any people, various members of his family definitely have, but I'm not positive he has. Did he kill a criminal when he was dressed as Spider-Man during Last Hunt?

Technically he Cobained himself, but as far as I remember, he was the only fatality of that particular story. He beat the hell out of some guys who were menacing MJ, but pretty sure they lived.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

Technically he Cobained himself, but as far as I remember, he was the only fatality of that particular story. He beat the hell out of some guys who were menacing MJ, but pretty sure they lived.

I am pretty sure he killed some dudes and jjj was happy as spider-man killed

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
He killed Vermin, a lovely one off villain, while pretending to be Spider-Man in Last Hunt.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Zore posted:

He killed Vermin, a lovely one off villain, while pretending to be Spider-Man in Last Hunt.

No, he captured Vermin. Kraven had Vermin in a cage, set him free, and Spidey went after Vermin, during which time Kraven killed himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He broke a guy's loving neck.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I just looked it up, he killed a nameless guy in a werehouse by brutally breaking his neck

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nilbop posted:

But he's got guts!

Remember when Venom disembowelled original Kraven's son (who'd become Kraven II) and made that joke?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bobkatt013 posted:

I just looked it up, he killed a nameless guy in a werehouse by brutally breaking his neck

Was he hunting the werehouse

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Lucky guy. On a full moon, I just become a credenza.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Venom disembowelled original Kraven's son (who'd become Kraven II) and made that joke?

I thought that was Kaine during his edgy phase who did that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Was he hunting the werehouse

Werehouse. There house

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Werehouse. There house

The guy was IN the house, therefor it was a wearhouse

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

I thought that was Kaine during his edgy phase who did that?

Nah, this was from Howard Mackie's run on Spider-Man with John Romita Jr. where Venom tried to join the Sinister Six, then for some reason (I can't remember why) decided to go after them and kill them. He ate part of Sandman, I think he beat up Electro, then he stabbed Kraven.

It was abandoned for some reason (I can't remember why) when Eddie decided to reconnect with his ex-wife, then it tied into the boring, meandering Senator Ward storyline.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Proteus Jones posted:

The guy was IN the house, therefor it was a wearhouse

He liked the way he looked.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Push El Burrito posted:

He liked the way he looked.

Can you guarantee that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, this was from Howard Mackie's run on Spider-Man with John Romita Jr. where Venom tried to join the Sinister Six, then for some reason (I can't remember why) decided to go after them and kill them. He ate part of Sandman, I think he beat up Electro, then he stabbed Kraven.

It was abandoned for some reason (I can't remember why) when Eddie decided to reconnect with his ex-wife, then it tied into the boring, meandering Senator Ward storyline.

There's rarely a good reason for anything going on in a Howard Mackie story. Basically they made fun of Venom and he lost his mind.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoPair posted:

Pfft. Decapitation didn't stop Cameron Hodge.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Daredevil 24.

Yo. Daredevil was pretty good with Romita and Colan working on him. I'm actually looking forward to these books now.

Gene Colan was a revelation. This guy does not get his due. Daredevil #20 came out in 1966 and that was the first comic where I thought the art could fit right in with something from the Bronze Age. It's tough to reconcile that style with the likes of Ditko and Kirby, to say nothing of the various bullpen staff (Ayers, Heck, etc) putting out very pedestrian work. What a departure from only a year or two before.

The running chatter makes it clear this is a Stan Lee joint and we're still squarely in the 60s, but that last panel is just so good. What an awesome first four pages to a comic.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did Daredevil just insult a white European by referring to him as "gunga din"? Because outside of the (obviously extremely colonial) Kipling poem, I've only ever heard that as a racist term for Indian people.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Daredevil was totally trying to be racist against an Indian person but is blind and didn't realize his opponent was white.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Identifying your location by throwing out racial slurs til one sticks is an odd method, but it was a different time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Matt Murdock doesn't see color

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Samuringa posted:

Matt Murdock doesn't see color

:monocle: Well done.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Gene Colan was a revelation. This guy does not get his due. Daredevil #20 came out in 1966 and that was the first comic where I thought the art could fit right in with something from the Bronze Age. It's tough to reconcile that style with the likes of Ditko and Kirby, to say nothing of the various bullpen staff (Ayers, Heck, etc) putting out very pedestrian work. What a departure from only a year or two before.

From the style of the pages, it looks like that was still in the period where he was being told to ape Kirby as much as possible. Maybe even following some Kirby provided layouts on a few of those pages. He's obviously breaking out, here, but I think it's another year or two before Colan really feels free to let his own style shine at Marvel.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

From the style of the pages, it looks like that was still in the period where he was being told to ape Kirby as much as possible. Maybe even following some Kirby provided layouts on a few of those pages. He's obviously breaking out, here, but I think it's another year or two before Colan really feels free to let his own style shine at Marvel.

Really? I thought his entry to Marvel with Namor using the Austin pseudonym was already very unique, and his Daredevil looks more like he’s trying to ape Romita’s version of DD than copy anything Kirby was doing. Colan’s art was real shadowed from the get go, and he decompressed the art a lot more than Kirby did. Lot more pages with 2 panels, lot more big character closeups.

I don’t know what’s coming from Colan down the pipe, but he’s one of my favourite artists up to this point.

I just read Steranko’s first story arc in Strange Tales and mannnn that needs to be posted here too. Phone posting but will add some soon.

Now Steranko, his art looks like it’s heavily aping Kirby’s but it’s real good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Forgot to post this for a couple of months before seeing it again in my screencaps folder. Apologies if it's been here already.
Hawkeye #12

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hawkeye has been great in its ability to portray motion within full/double page layouts

I'm gonna miss it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Forgot to post this for a couple of months before seeing it again in my screencaps folder. Apologies if it's been here already.
Hawkeye #12

drat, reminds me of that Young Avengers spread, but more coherent on a first read. Hawkeye has some amazing art.

Here's the Young Avengers panel I'm referring to, which is also awesome but takes longer to read.