Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Dusty Lens posted:

This lawsuit is like going to a wrestling match that you've been waiting all year to see but then you find out that someone might be parachuting a bear into the ring so now you're ultra hyped but if it doesn't work out you still get your original fun.

It is exactly like that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Seems like Crytek got CIG to sign a pretty badly written contract and it looks like CIG could end up winning this in court.

I mean, who loving writes a contract that says there can't be any damages as long as the other party says "oops, sorry, we didn't realise it would be a problem".

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chalks posted:

Seems like Crytek got CIG to sign a pretty badly written contract and it looks like CIG could end up winning this in court.

I mean, who loving writes a contract that says there can't be any damages as long as the other party says "oops, sorry, we didn't realise it would be a problem".

the guy who is leaving to go join the other company

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/949741781972742144

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The Titanic posted:

Whoever this guy is, is right. I was up all night crying into my pillow over this. :(

like any self-respecting goon, I was too busy rubbing to be upset

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

the guy who is leaving to go join the other company

"I'm dumb" as a solid defence against breach of contract. Good job Ortwin, it's the perfect fit.

The best part is that if this goes to court, it will literally come down to a question of whether the jury believes CIG are genuinely idiots.

In entertainment terms, I'm looking forward to this one.

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016

Chalks posted:

I'm pretty sure the no-damages clause is the standard warranty stuff in all software licenses. IE, "If our library causes a nuclear meltdown because 1 + 1 doesn't equal 3 you can't sue us", not a general, "Neither party can ever sue either party for damages ever for any raisin. ~Ortwin Fre..Frier...gently caress-you-mouth, Esq."

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Memes age with time like fine wine. Referencing a meme probably over 15 years old gives the post distinction.

Stay frosty commando.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

So again MoMA was wrong when he implied that Derek was just telling who he thought the defense would be, when in fact he knew for some time.

For those keeping score, that means that 100% of everything MoMA says is empirically false. With that in mind, I am ready to reveal who MoMA is - the truth was in front of us the whole time.

His name, ManOfManyAliases, must, based on what we know, be a lie. Therefore, MoMA is not a man. In addition, she must not have many aliases. Hence a more appropriate name would be LadyOfFewAliases, or LOFA, a clear anagram of LOAF.

Sup, Ben. I always knew you had bigger boobs than the rest of us.

A goon detective hits a homerun again. WAAAZZZZZAAAAA Ben ?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Having returned from my travels in Americaland, I am just starting to catch up on the thread and I'm glad to see that CIG have hired a comedy lawyer for us.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

So again MoMA was wrong when he implied that Derek was just telling who he thought the defense would be, when in fact he knew for some time.

For those keeping score, that means that 100% of everything MoMA says is empirically false. With that in mind, I am ready to reveal who MoMA is - the truth was in front of us the whole time.

MoMA's posts are intended purely for backers reading the thread, as damage control. Always were.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

There we go.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Bootcha posted:

What we saw was essentially bluff calling.

FKKS and CIG are calling that Skadden and CryTek are bluffing, as well as providing the first pieces of evidence to be entered into the case.

Limited to those pieces of evidence, yes, you could argue that CIG are in the right. That's what these initial filings are all about : arguing their merit.

Simply put, Skadden and CryTek are going to have to provide a response to evidence, either in the form of their own evidence, and/or the merit of the defense's evidence in part or in whole (I doubt the latter).

The way I see it CIG have shown a defence which means that there is now a dispute and therefore a case, and it's on its way to space court.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Ironically, those pledges are to RSI, not CIG.

Smug cultist got the wrong company. :smuggo:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SomethingJones posted:

The way I see it CIG have shown a defence which means that there is now a dispute and therefore a case, and it's on its way to space court.

Yeah I can't see this being dismissed with prejudice on either side. We goin' to space court.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I don't know why Chris is worried about this.
If he is jailed, he can always jitter noclip through the bars to freedom.
SPACE COURT

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016

happyhippy posted:

I don't know why Chris is worried about this.
If he is jailed, he can always jitter noclip through the bars to freedom.
SPACE COURT

You spelled Space Coutts wrong. :smug:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

He's saying he wants all of the RSI forum subscribers to be personally liable for any charges should the case be ruled in Crytek's favor?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The Saddest Robot posted:

He's saying he wants all of the RSI forum subscribers to be personally liable for any charges should the case be ruled in Crytek's favor?

That's a lot of pressure to put on my forum alts.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Saddest Robot posted:

lol, silly goonie, the fire and fury of FKKS is #ortwinning

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Has anyone said #ortwhining yet?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/216063404?t=03h47m17s

:gary:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
A bunch of marketing vacancies and what appears to be Money's job went up on Jan 2nd

Public Relations and Social Media Director
Los Angeles, CA
Posted: January 02, 2018
e: is this who I think it is, is this Swofford?

Creative Brand Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Posted: January 02, 2018

Sales Strategist
Los Angeles, CA

Senior Video Producer, GVP
Los Angeles, CA

These are new vacancies, they've also refreshed a couple of older ones to keep them on the front page.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

thatguy posted:

If any of you guys get upset if Crytek loses then you're playing the game wrong.

Whoever wins the laffs will flow eternally

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Memes age with time like fine wine. Referencing a meme probably over 15 years old gives the post distinction.

Over 9000? I haven’t heard that meme in years.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

neonbregna posted:

Over 9000? I haven’t heard that meme in years.

9000 ?!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

neonbregna posted:

Over 9000? That's a thumb I haven't heard in years

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MedicineHut posted:

https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/949667077991882753

He trying to say that because SQ42 has been explicitely defined as an integral part of the Game, that means it as actually not part of the Game? Lol. These shitizens are really idiots.

That guy is a total and utter idiot. That's a crazy and very damning thing he just posted there, that right there is why Squadron 42 could never have been sold as a separate title. That right there is one of the many reasons I think that Derek has been right about the money all along because that's the desperation kicking in.

Squadron 42 was defined as a feature of the main title and it explicitly says it was not to be sold separately. CIG have breached their contract all over the place and the evidence is all in the public domain.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Rubbening

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

People of California, I rest my case, then case dismissed?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am glad of the upcoming trial battles and legal wars. it gives the thread more fat to chew

if Cryteck lose, it means Star Citizen is good and fun!!!

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

PrimeNerd posted:

I'm pretty sure the no-damages clause is the standard warranty stuff in all software licenses. IE, "If our library causes a nuclear meltdown because 1 + 1 doesn't equal 3 you can't sue us", not a general, "Neither party can ever sue either party for damages ever for any raisin. ~Ortwin Fre..Frier...gently caress-you-mouth, Esq."

I was a bit puzzled by this while preparing my April Blog post, but I think I've gathered what it is; I don't think the clause in question isn't a limitation of contractual liability, judging from the location of the clause and the 'indemnification disclaimer' comment at the start of it, I'm pretty sure that the whole clause refers to CIG not being liable to indemnify Crytek for breaches of contract/tortious actions and vice versa. In other words, this is basically to protect CIG/Crytek from the other acting like an idiot and pissing off a third party and has no business being applied to this contract.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Beet Wagon posted:

that chatroll was hilarious lol

e: taxxe of Kayak being a good boy and helping me carry my purchases around Lowes last night

Kayak building a space doggy door confirmed.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, the motion is going to fail on merits alone. And if they bungled it enough, they basically gave Skadden a huge opening for their injunction to succeed.

The Ortwin parts are not baffling to me at all. It reads like Ortwin typing that up, and sending to Jeremy to include in his response. Clearly that was before amendment in which he was accused of not having a waiver (which apparently exists) - though it still won't solve the conflict of interest issue.

God, they are so hosed, it beggars belief. It's ALL there in the GLA.

So, GLA = ELE?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Now look, Roberts. A guy takes out an accident policy that's worth $10,000,000 if it's killed mid development. Then, two weeks later, it *is* killed mid development. And, not from being unable to deliver mind you, but loving up some silly standard contract. You know what the mathematical probability of that is? One out of, oh, I don't know how many billions. And after that, the broken jesus patch. No, it just, it just can't be the way it looks. Something has been worked on us!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The best part of all this is that it does not matter if the Crobber and Tickler dream team come out on top in any legal battle. There was already good reason to think their financial situation was shaky, and Star Citizen is still a gigantic fuckshow that's never going to meet the insane expectations.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
2.8.1 in the Declaration of Jeremy S. Goldman (the GLA):

quote:

...shall include the following wording: "Poertions of this software are included under licence © 2004-201_ Crytek GmbH..."

So it's hinted in the GLA that Star Citizen will release before 2020 ;o)

Edit: Posting from 8 pages back... Seems like our Warlord was right about the defending law firm (sorry if this has been mentioned several times before).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Confused:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/949800932115648515

Does this mean the maximum damages Skadden can get out of this is 1.85 €MM irrespective? Or does the "intentional" element allow to break that barrier and sky is the limit?