Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Custodes are how you actually do elite stuff. In 30k my 1000 Custodes list with no vehicles comes our to be like 14 models.
Heh. My 1000 point 30k Ravenwing detachment for the 2018 toxx? 1000 points and twelve models. Who's elite now? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I have... severely underestimated the ability of heavy grav kataphrons to just loving sandpaper a land raider to death.

And really, really rotten luck with neutron lasers.

I'm thinking a Battalion of them might be a fun addition and also a good source of CP.

At 700 points it's definitely not cheap.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 6, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
My Death Guard escalation list went 1-1, barely defeating a solid Ravenguard Razorback list and barely losing to an almost fully melee Tyranid list.

Highlights included a Foul Blightspawn rolling S11 for his vomitflamer and 6 hits on a Hive Tyrant, liquefying it for 15 damage after bad invulnerable saves. On my last turn, up in points, I managed to table myself with a Perils roll that killed my Malignant Plaguecaster and wiped a full Chaos Spawn and my Blightspwan with three wounds remaining.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Foul Blightspawn having a super thunder hammer hose is the craziest thing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Super Soaker Jenkum 41000 is the toy all the kids want this year.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I know people were just talking about the Foul Blightspawn and I wanted to ask if any of the other Elite slot Death Guard Buffmans are worth it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The warhammer store here is the tiniest game space I've seen in my life. The staff was really nice though, she was helping some people paint dryads and was working on her GSC.

Wandered in and fought a 1000 point game with a blood angels player. I brought iron hands. Terminator librarian, 5 cataphractii, 10 tac marines, asscan razorback, contemptor, venerable dread. He had 5 intercessors, 10 hellblasters, primaris captain, primaris ancient, sanguinary guard, priest, sanguinary ancient

The hellblasters chewed me up good but I got off a veil of time deep strike with my terminators. Razorback shot stuff up all game while my tac squad chilled in a trench line taking shots at whatever they could. I had a lot of multi damage weapons (Tac marines had a combi melta, missile launcher and plasmagun, vendread had TL las and missile launcher) which did a good job vs all the primaris stuff. My contemptor got taken down by hellblaster fire but I killed half of them with bottom of 1 shooting and the rest of the game they were mostly falling back while my terminators tore through his stuff. Terminator librarian killed his captain thanks to veil of time + might of heroes. His sang guard dropped out of LOS and ganked my ven dread but it took them a few turns and he got some good hits on his warlord which was the priest. He lived long enough that he killed my dread on his turn so my tac marines and razorback ate the sanguinary guard up, killing his priest with a meltagun hit. They went into the razorback after that and almost killed it but had to fall back because I had both objectives and was going to win, librarian on his deployment objective and my tac marines on my objective. In the end he called it turn 6 when he wasn't able to clear my tac marines out in melee (My FNP rolls were doing real well for me this game) and my surviving terminator sergeant was harassing his few remaining primaris.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

So I know people were just talking about the Foul Blightspawn and I wanted to ask if any of the other Elite slot Death Guard Buffmans are worth it.

Not really. They’re all situationally useful but in an army where every point is critical “situationally” doesn’t tend to cut it. The Foul Blightspawn has a useful defensive power and threads the needle between high damage and target spread, allowing it to wipe units that plasma or other guns alone would have a problem with.

It’s basically the best 77pts you can spend.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Safety Factor posted:

Heh. My 1000 point 30k Ravenwing detachment for the 2018 toxx? 1000 points and twelve models. Who's elite now? :smug:

Where is the 2018 toxx thread? I want to sacrifice my account on the altar of the dark gods.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Thundercloud posted:

Where is the 2018 toxx thread? I want to sacrifice my account on the altar of the dark gods.

30k thread.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
beep beep i'm a tank

I used some sprue engineering to attach the combi-bolter turret while allowing 360 rotation.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I have... severely underestimated the ability of heavy grav kataphrons to just loving sandpaper a land raider to death.

And really, really rotten luck with neutron lasers.

A S5 D3 damage shot doesn't sound like a lot - but you're firing them 30 times a round.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Thanqol posted:

A S5 D3 damage shot doesn't sound like a lot - but you're firing them 30 times a round.

One of the biggest changes from 7th to 8th is the damage chart. S5 wounding T8 on a 5+ is actually very doable. I’ve killed plenty of T7 models with the blessed boltgun of all things, which up until now was a joke against vehicles and monsters.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They already have. Plague Marines are the same size as the Primaris models.

they arent as tall, but they have a lot of poo poo protruding out of them that really bulks up their appearance

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

One of the biggest changes from 7th to 8th is the damage chart. S5 wounding T8 on a 5+ is actually very doable. I’ve killed plenty of T7 models with the blessed boltgun of all things, which up until now was a joke against vehicles and monsters.

The added damage makes grav weapons REALLY good in this edition. Heavy 5 with the ability to move and fire is pretty intense.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Played a game of Necrons vs Alpha Legion today, and they are really hurting from the lack of Codex. I messed up a bit in my deployment (meaning, I didn't have anything to screen for my warriors so I got turn 1 charged by Berserkers who stratagem deployed at 9"), and got nearly tabled by the end of my opponent's second turn. Really disheartening, but at least I still got my Space Marines to fall back on if I actually want a shot at winning.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The added damage makes grav weapons REALLY good in this edition. Heavy 5 with the ability to move and fire is pretty intense.

Yeah. For all of the early pooh-pooh-ing about the changes from how they worked in 7th they're pretty great.

Kinda got me considering replacing the plasmas in my other Kataphrons because while I like the shenanigans you can get up to with stratagems I do like the consistent number of shots.

Plus being in multiples of 5 is nice.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

It's gimmicky but the biologus with foul blightspawn and along with a group of five plague marines + the grenade strategem is pretty fun. 8d6 attacks with str 4,ap 0, damage 2 and rolling 6 on wounds = +1 mortal wound. I also kinda like the plague surgeon. It's rerolling 1s on disgustingly resiliant is not a terrible amount of added survivability. Foul blightspawn is the only really good one though. Charge protection + insane spurt gun.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
A few of my 2017 projects. A combination of personal and commission models.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ghazk posted:

A few of my 2017 projects. A combination of personal and commission models.

Wheewewwwwwwww. Good post mi'lord

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
2017 was pretty limited for me, I got engaged and bought a house, so my hobby time was gently caress all.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone pretty familiar with ITC rules?

I had a tourney today (2-1) where my loss was a game that ended on turn 2. If the game had gone to 3 I would have very likely tabled my opponent. it was largely my fault, only 4th game in 2 years, we started slow, and I just didn't know my rules well enough and spent a lot of time looking them up.

Anyway, a friend informed me that in ITC games which do not go through turn 3 are 0-0 ties. Is that true?

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 7, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

My 2017 40k mans.
Painting 40k for the first time in nearly 15 years felt good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Two Beans posted:

beep beep i'm a tank

I used some sprue engineering to attach the combi-bolter turret while allowing 360 rotation.

Ooooh I love the things you put on the side of the gun turret, I may have to steal that idea. Where did you get those bitz from?

I have a 1k sons rhino that I never painted that has custom 3rd party doors. Codex release may finally make me work on finishing painting them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wondering how you all would deal with this. I went to watch my friend play in a tournament today. I don't have 2k points or I would have tried. His second round opponent set up his models really haphazardly, as in he'd literally grab a unit of Orks by the handful and slap them down on the table. Almost none of them were standing flat on their bases, and if they were, it was entirely by chance. He had a lot of models in various stages of painting, and I could tell it was pissing my friend off.

Would you tell the guy to deploy his models like he was supposed to, or just let it fly? People were playing Guard and Tyranid armies with as many models and doing the right thing.

Also someone was playing a Chaos Daemons army with four giant models: Lord of Change or that other one from the same kit, Magnus the Red, some Khorne half-tank centaur thing, and something else I didn't recognize along with a sorcerer of some kind that must've been his HQ. My friends said he "deserved to lose" for bringing that, but it looked fun to me! The all Carnifexes and Exocrines list apparently tabled him in two turns, so it can't be that busted, right?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Ork player sounds like a total dipshit and probably tries to pull some poo poo by playing the not caring card. That said, it's a tournament. I'd just take the easy win, max the points, and move on as quickly as possible.

Armies with that many big characters can only do so much damage a turn. Magnus is 20% of the army, you focus them down, keep spacing, and screen critical units and you'll crush them every time.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 7, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dude sounds like an rear end. In a tourney situation, I'd tell him to set his poo poo up correctly as cocked models screw with LOS.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im the most forgiving person when it comes to painting because I'm bad about it because life happens but yeah no excuse to not set up your poo poo what the gently caress.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Boon posted:

Is anyone pretty familiar with ITC rules?

I had a tourney today (2-1) where my loss was a game that ended on turn 2. If the game had gone to 3 I would have very likely tabled my opponent. it was largely my fault, only 4th game in 2 years, we started slow, and I just didn't know my rules well enough and spent a lot of time looking them up.

Anyway, a friend informed me that in ITC games which do not go through turn 3 are 0-0 ties. Is that true?

Its something that has been put into place by SOME major events but is not part of the base ruleset.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I will totally buy 1500pts of Custodes as long as they're as hilariously points costly as they are in 30k.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Ooooh I love the things you put on the side of the gun turret, I may have to steal that idea. Where did you get those bitz from?

I have a 1k sons rhino that I never painted that has custom 3rd party doors. Codex release may finally make me work on finishing painting them.

The bitz are shields from the AoS Karic Acolytes

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Was at a "gentleman's tournament" at my FLGS today. The focus was supposed to be on sportsmanship, army appearance, and toned down lists. I brought my Templars, with 15 man Crusader squad in a Land Raider Crusader, a 5 man lasplas fire support squad on foot, 5 Tactical Terminators and a Captain with them teleporting down.

Game 1 was against all Primaris Salamanders. He overextended with his Redemptor Dreadnought and I was able to draw that in with a boatload of fire from my main force, while the big Crusader squad was able to run around it and flank his Hellblasters and characters. My Crusader killed the Redemptor, causing it to explode, nearly killing his captain, apothecary, and Hellblasters. My Crusaders mopped up the leftovers and his Intercessor squads on the flanks of the table weren't able to touch my Land Raider once I killed all his fire support. They all had the assault versions of the bolters, which I don't think worked to his advantage. The game ended with one wounded Intercessor squad in a ruin against probably half of my army, and it was a solid win for me. He was just getting back into the hobby and his army was only about half painted, but he had a nice take on the Salamanders color scheme.

Game 2 was against Dark Eldar, and frankly I don't know how this list got past the event's vetting process - we sent in lists to make sure nothing was too nasty, and his list, the table we were on, and our matchup made victory impossible for me before a single die was rolled. His army had 2 Ravagers, a Raider, 2 Venoms, a Razorwing Jetfighter, and a bunch of Warriors and Trueborn. If it could have lances, it had lances. As he said, it was a miracle my Land Raider lasted til turn 2 - I was lucky that my smoke was able to keep it alive that long. His army was able to outrange me, outmaneuver me, and all his gunboats were zipping around on top of the terrain. It was all old Necromunda terrain, and I could barely get to grips with any of them. I shot down two gunboats and killed 5 infantrymen and got tabled on turn 5. Nice guy, but the worst possible matchup for my army.

Game 3 I played Crimson Fists. His army was very well painted, and his list was on a lovely hand drawn illuminated manuscript. He also painted a different heraldry design on each tilting plate of his Terminators, which was a cool touch. His list was similarly built around a lot of deep striking elements, so the first 2 turns were just us circling around and trading potshots before he commit everything - his own Terminators, a Librarian supporting them, and a tac squad in a drop pod. He played his hand before I did though, so I was able to come right back around and drop my own Terminators in and focus his guys down rather quickly. By the end of the game he only had 2 models left and I pulled out another win, but it was the one game that day where he hadn't been tabled. Very nice guy, a little awkward, but he tried to keep things light and funny the whole time.

Now here's where I got a little salty. They were judging results and the prizes were supposed to be for best sportsman and best painted. Instead they decided to give the awards to the two guys who won the most games, with best painted going to the Dark Eldar guy and he got it just because he was the guy who won the most games while having a painted army. Of the dozen armies there, only about half were painted, and his looked very WIP. The best sportsman apparently had people say he was a good opponent, but he mainly won all three of his games. Normally tournaments I've gone to let you vote for your favorite opponent and your favorite army, or the judges look at the armies and decide on best painted that way. It just seemed kind of like a half-assed way of determining results, which is a shame because I otherwise had a pretty decent time. I think I might contact the guys and ask to run a tournament so I can run an event the way I like it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Was at a "gentleman's tournament" at my FLGS today...
...they decided to give the awards to the two guys who won the most games, with best painted going to the Dark Eldar guy and he got it just because he was the guy who won the most games while having a painted army.

On the other hand, awarding the Dark Eldar player who put down a painted army and won the most games is like the unicorn-albatross of 40k.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I can see why Dark Eldar would run circles around melee marines that require an expensive transport to get around. Lots of kabalites and trueborns riding in their flimsy Jabba the Hutt ships is pretty standard DE and hardly violates the idea behind a gentleman’s Tournament. A combination of ranged infantry in ruins like Devastators and fast melee units can really put the hurt on that. DE have basically 2 weapon types, large volume poison shots with no AP modifiers or high dmg shots with -4 AP meaning marine infantry is really the best way to fight them. They have nothing like plasma that can dislodge large powered armored squads in ruins.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If I buy an airbrush (because the finish makes me turbo jealous every time) would you airbrush over primer, remove it with Fairy or whatever, or what?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Shockeh posted:

If I buy an airbrush (because the finish makes me turbo jealous every time) would you airbrush over primer, remove it with Fairy or whatever, or what?

Not sure what you mean?

Personally at a minimum I prime (Vallejo surface primer) and basecoat everything with the airbrush. I used to prime with a rattle can but living in VA the humidity can often screw it up.

I zenithal highlight the primer coat- so I used grey primer on the top-facing and black on the lower. From there straight to the basecoat- no stripping of anything is necessary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Uroboros posted:

I can see why Dark Eldar would run circles around melee marines that require an expensive transport to get around. Lots of kabalites and trueborns riding in their flimsy Jabba the Hutt ships is pretty standard DE and hardly violates the idea behind a gentleman’s Tournament. A combination of ranged infantry in ruins like Devastators and fast melee units can really put the hurt on that. DE have basically 2 weapon types, large volume poison shots with no AP modifiers or high dmg shots with -4 AP meaning marine infantry is really the best way to fight them. They have nothing like plasma that can dislodge large powered armored squads in ruins.

Yeah, to my understanding what SRM described is just kinda what Dark Eldar do. They move fast, hit hard, and crumble in a stiff wind, with an emphasis on raiders and venoms carrying kabalite and trueborns armed to the teeth.

That's what every Dark Eldar strategy guide I've seen recommends, at any rate.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, to my understanding what SRM described is just kinda what Dark Eldar do. They move fast, hit hard, and crumble in a stiff wind, with an emphasis on raiders and venoms carrying kabalite and trueborns armed to the teeth.

That's what every Dark Eldar strategy guide I've seen recommends, at any rate.

Yeah, they are actually pretty good. All their vehicles have fly meaning good players will assault you with their vehicles which all move a minimum of 12. Oddly enough you don’t want your non-fly vehicles anywhere near theirs.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, they are actually pretty good. All their vehicles have fly meaning good players will assault you with their vehicles which all move a minimum of 12. Oddly enough you don’t want your non-fly vehicles anywhere near theirs.

I found the most annoying thing about them is anything greater than ap1 being completely meaningless because all their vehicles have an invulnerable save one worse than their armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Two Beans posted:

beep beep i'm a tank

I really like the turret/pintle mount you've put on, and the FW doors look great. I've always wondered about Thousand Sons though, how do they fit into their vehicles. Like do they duck, or remove the helmet crests? When that gunner needs to take cover, does he sort of hunch down into the tank with his crest poking out the top?