Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Furism posted:

What about Automatron? I always hated Robots in Fallout (because I tend to not specialize in laser or whatever the appropriate weapon type is) but they seem to look very cool in that DLC. And it's $5. Is it worth it?

It's pretty meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Automatron enjoyment is solely based around whether or not building your own mix and match robots sounds like fun to you. You can also turn Codsworth into a sentry bot death machine.

If none of that sounds like good times, then skip it because otherwise all it adds is two new dungeons and a couple new mid-tier weapons/armor pieces.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Automatron was a nice surprise after the disappointment of discovering that the game aggressively disincentivizes mixing up your power armor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Automatron does give you the joy of building a hundred ridiculously overpowered robots and assigning one to every possible supply line link between settlements and just covering the commonwealth with endless patrols of absurd death machines.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Glazius posted:

Also there's one thing I don't think you can actually do with mouse and keyboard, which is walk yourself around in settlement mode, since normal movement controls get overwritten to browse the placement menus with keyboard but they go on the D-pad of a controller. Though I think you can still hold the interact key to move what you're trying to place around instead of you.

It's the opposite of this-- WASD still moves you around like normal in workshop mode and you have to hold Shift + [direction] to navigate the workshop menu. It would be extremely hosed up if you had to hold a key to move so I'm glad they didn't do that.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Seashell Salesman posted:

It's the opposite of this-- WASD still moves you around like normal in workshop mode and you have to hold Shift + [direction] to navigate the workshop menu. It would be extremely hosed up if you had to hold a key to move so I'm glad they didn't do that.

Or navigate the menus using the arrow keys while you walk around.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MikeJF posted:

Automatron does give you the joy of building a hundred ridiculously overpowered robots and assigning one to every possible supply line link between settlements and just covering the commonwealth with endless patrols of absurd death machines.

I hadn't thought of trying that, but it's a great idea. My plan is to eventually murder every settler in their sleep and reboot the settlements with robot pioneers who will be assigned to salvage duties to find parts for more robots. I don't know which faction to help, though. The Railroad treats synths as people when they're actually just fancy robots and I don't want anyone taking my robots away from me. The Institute tries to make robots more like people, which is stupid because robots are better at doing stuff than people, and also they'd probably want to steal my robots and replace them with their robots because they're stupid like that. The Brotherhood of Steel is all about putting people in robot suits, destroying robots and taking their parts and, most damningly, they want to kill me because I utilize pre-war tech to make myself stronger. The Minutemen are weak because they care about people instead of robots; if the Minutemen had robots then Quincy would still be a nice place to live and the fort wouldn't be Crabfest 24/7/365.

I'd like to just ignore them all but the Brotherhood really has to go, so I just don't know what to do.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Don't forget that Robosexual Automaton also adds wandering robots to kill, and a robot-cosplayer gang that is tough enough to roll most vanilla enemies. Like the outside guards and turrets at Fenway. (Although it was Nukagangers that were eating the vanilla raiders south of Fenway, all of the external forces at Diamond City, all the Super Mutants to the west, and were wandering off down the western road along the river when I caught up.)

Note also that unless it's been patched, the DLC-added encounters can crowd out the random recruitable merchant encounters, like the Archivist and the travelling bar.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Don't forget that Robosexual Automaton also adds wandering robots to kill, and a robot-cosplayer gang that is tough enough to roll most vanilla enemies. Like the outside guards and turrets at Fenway. (Although it was Nukagangers that were eating the vanilla raiders south of Fenway, all of the external forces at Diamond City, all the Super Mutants to the west, and were wandering off down the western road along the river when I caught up.)

Note also that unless it's been patched, the DLC-added encounters can crowd out the random recruitable merchant encounters, like the Archivist and the travelling bar.

This actually owned when it happened in my game because I saw the group of rust devil raiders headed towards Diamond City and decided to follow them and help out the guards, but just then Piper decided to share her feelings with me. So while she's tearing up talking about her dead father the sounds of Diamond City guards getting murdered and turrets exploded was happening just off screen. When the conversation finally ended, I followed the trail of death and all the way up to that one area where Diamond City sometimes fights super mutants, and amidst a bunch of dead bodies of guards, raiders and even some Brahmin was one remaining legendary rust devil at like 1/3 health.

Sadly, he was carrying some bullshit like a legendary pool cue, but I appreciated his journey.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

mike12345 posted:

Btw, if I liked the sneaky & stabby playstyle of FO4, would Metal Gear Solid V be my jam? I'm not familiar with the MGS franchise, but thought it might be similar.

That's a pretty massive question - gameplay-wise? It's third-person, stealthy-shooty - most of the time. If you wanna go balls to the wall shoot mans, that's allowed I guess. The series as a whole is hugely interconnected and I honestly haven't heard of anyone who's played MGSV first and liked it plot-wise. Gameplay-wise it's fine though, you'll probably like it at worst. Good luck, give it a go, maybe familiarise yourself first though!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
First time playing through the game for me. I’m working on the USS Constitution quests and I’ve sided with the robots against the scavengers. Ironsides sends me below deck to do the repairs and somehow I get my power armor stuck between the tabletop and cabin ceiling in the captains quarters. Eventually I just turned off clipping in the console after unsuccessfully trying to unwedge my suit. What else could I have done? Couldn’t get my companion to figure out the pathing to get up on the table and hop in the armor, couldn’t wiggle free myself. Didn’t want to try the PUBG trick of frag grenadeing vehicles to flip them back over, so I just gave up.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

First time playing through the game for me. I’m working on the USS Constitution quests and I’ve sided with the robots against the scavengers. Ironsides sends me below deck to do the repairs and somehow I get my power armor stuck between the tabletop and cabin ceiling in the captains quarters. Eventually I just turned off clipping in the console after unsuccessfully trying to unwedge my suit. What else could I have done? Couldn’t get my companion to figure out the pathing to get up on the table and hop in the armor, couldn’t wiggle free myself. Didn’t want to try the PUBG trick of frag grenadeing vehicles to flip them back over, so I just gave up.

This is one of the good reasons for using a console-unlocker and/or save mod in Survival.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for the DLC comments, people. I guess I'll just get Far Harbor then, I'm not so madly in love with Fallout 4 to go ahead with "meh" DLCs.

Last question for now: is there a "good/recommended" build for your character? I like to shoot things (usually with rifles, energy or otherwise), hack and pick locks. I don't care much about the rest. Is there a good, simple build for that?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.gamerguides.com/fallout-4/introduction/character-creation/suggested-starting-special-attributes will work for you. But you can get good at, like, everything if you want to.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah "builds" aren't so much of a thing in 4.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The only real thing to bother with is to keep your int low early-on so that you can use Idiot Savant to get silly amounts of exp. Stats/crunchwise FO4 has more in common with ES than FO in that you eventually become best at everything.

I wouldn't get high STR early though, because its perks are terrible.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

The only real thing to bother with is to keep your int low early-on so that you can use Idiot Savant to get silly amounts of exp. Stats/crunchwise FO4 has more in common with ES than FO in that you eventually become best at everything.

I wouldn't get high STR early though, because its perks are terrible.
god drat fat fingers

STR can get absurd later on, though. It's the only stat that really directly scales its related weapons, and it also happens to be very easy to stack. You can end up with stealth combat knives that deal 1.2k damage if you do enough strength-boosting drugs and use the correct equipment. My record was an Atom's Judgement that dealt 3.7k damage, though I preferred the knife since it allowed me to go full anime with blitz and Grim Reaper's Sprint.

As for Idiot Savant, it's almost always a good perk choice even at medium/high INT levels. I think it averages out at 20% extra XP if you have 7 intelligence, which is pretty good considering just how frequent XP sources are. And the small chance for a savant trigger when handing out a quest is drat satisfying.

Halser fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 5, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Didn't someone run the math and show that idiot savant with high int will still give you more total xp than with low int, so there's no point trying to game it?

Edit: nevermind, just checked; with maxxed savant, you want either 1, or 13+ int. It's a net bonus no matter what your int, but it drops off in between those scores.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 5, 2018

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Halser posted:

god drat fat fingers

STR can get absurd later on, though. It's the only stat that really directly scales its related weapons, and it also happens to be very easy to stack. You can end up with stealth combat knives that deal 1.2k damage if you do enough strength-boosting drugs and use the correct equipment. My record was an Atom's Judgement that dealt 3.7k damage, though I preferred the knife since it allowed me to go full anime with blitz and Grim Reaper's Sprint.

As for Idiot Savant, it's almost always a good perk choice even at medium/high INT levels. I think it averages out at 20% extra XP if you have 7 intelligence, which is pretty good considering just how frequent XP sources are. And the small chance for a savant trigger when handing out a quest is drat satisfying.

I can't stand the sound effect Idiot Savant triggers so I always skip it

STR is a good stat though, Rooted is amazing if you're going VATS melee

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Filthy Hans posted:

I can't stand the sound effect Idiot Savant triggers so I always skip it

STR is a good stat though, Rooted is amazing if you're going VATS melee

took me a couple minutes to make a mod to remove the trigger sound. There's probably something similar in the nexus.

You can also go ahead and download that mod that makes the savant sound either a cute anime girl saying something cute or a woman moaning, if that's your thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I would slightly tune this depending on what you like to do with rifles. As a snipe-focused character I would suggest dropping L for P, at least down to Crit Banker, since you do more sniping out of VATS. If you prefer close combat, drop some A for E, down to Sneak, because you will feel those no hitpoints. Close combat with automatics? Drop P and L for S and E, mostly for the hipfire perk in S, and take Commando instead of Rifleman since "automatic" is its own class of weapon.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Perception doesn't help your aim outside of VATS as far as I know.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I think having low pee makes your aim wiggle slightly, but nothing serious

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I just double checked the in game description and the two wikis and it only appears to affect VATS and lockpicking. So I say don't worry about Perception unless relying on VATS.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
But how else am I supposed to one shot an armored enemy's core from the front?

Penetrator is such a good time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Well, it's for a couple reasons. One is Sniper, the first two levels of which work outside VATS. Two is that the VATS accuracy falloff at long range is a much bigger deal for snipers, and you'll be pretty limited in how many shots you take from full AP so it's better to make them count. Three is that, I think, Perception boosts the maximum VATS engagement range, so you can pick out more distant targets.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 5, 2018

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I agree Perception is useful. Just clarifying what it does since the original post said to increase Perception specifically because most shooting will be done outside of VATS.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So I have a question or two or three. I've tried many times to get into Fallout 4 and I always hit the same snag : I get in, start playing, have fun, then get SERIOUSLY bogged down in the settlement side of things. I'm not great at placement, stuff never quite lines up the way I wish it would, I can never quite build what I want, my towns feel boring, and so on and so forth.

Some mods have helped me out a bit but I'm wondering what the current definitive list for must-have mods that make settlements more engaging and less tedious. Also which DLC is worth using?

A few things I'd really like :

1) The ability to either claim a bed for myself, or assign settlers to beds. I always build myself a home in a settlement and get annoyed that loving everyone sleeps in it. It's mine. gently caress off.
2) The ability to name settlers so I can actually give a poo poo about them.
3) More and more interesting placeable items. After a bit all the towns feel super samey.
4) Possibly some pre-made buildings I can drop when I just can't be hosed to build another generic home for six more people.

I also never fully understood trade routes. I thought that it was supposed to let you pool resources between two towns, so that both would share food/water/materials but it never seemed to quite work like that and I don't know why. Could anyone give me more info about that?

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008

khy posted:

So I have a question or two or three. I've tried many times to get into Fallout 4 and I always hit the same snag : I get in, start playing, have fun, then get SERIOUSLY bogged down in the settlement side of things. I'm not great at placement, stuff never quite lines up the way I wish it would, I can never quite build what I want, my towns feel boring, and so on and so forth.

Some mods have helped me out a bit but I'm wondering what the current definitive list for must-have mods that make settlements more engaging and less tedious. Also which DLC is worth using?

1) The ability to either claim a bed for myself, or assign settlers to beds. I always build myself a home in a settlement and get annoyed that loving everyone sleeps in it. It's mine. gently caress off.
2) The ability to name settlers so I can actually give a poo poo about them.
3) More and more interesting placeable items. After a bit all the towns feel super samey.
4) Possibly some pre-made buildings I can drop when I just can't be hosed to build another generic home for six more people.

I also never fully understood trade routes. I thought that it was supposed to let you pool resources between two towns, so that both would share food/water/materials but it never seemed to quite work like that and I don't know why. Could anyone give me more info about that?
Not sure if there is anything to name settlers which isn't a massive hassle, but these two might help with the building and not having settlers use your bed

There is a mod called sim settlements which you pretty much just place a floor piece and then the settler build up their own stuff, its pretty cool - https://www.simsettlements.com/
This will allow you to craft beds which only you can use - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7399/

Also there is a thread for mods here, sure there will be some people who really know their stuff - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

There's a decent mod that gives them names but you can't customize the names.

E: pretty sure the good one is Immersive Settlers.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 6, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

khy posted:

I build myself a home/shack and put a door on it. Close it when I leave, none of the NPC's seem to know how to work doors so they stay out of my house.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You can set Sim Settlements to pull settlers toward house plots and away from static beds. I don't get anybody crashing in my bed unless I haven't zoned out a house for them, which is pretty fair all things considered. "Zone out a house" means "put down a 2x2 block and connect a power line", though with Rise of the Commonwealth you don't even need to do that unless it's one of the currently unsupported settlements, you're deliberately overstocking, or you're expanding beyond what your companion roster will allow.

Also, a legendary Never Ending double-barreled shotgun sounds neat, but it turns out you just don't notice the recoil as much when you can only rattle off two shots at a time.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Rise of the Commonwealth City Plans (or at least some of them?) include a player bed that the NPCs ignore I think.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
While we're talking setller shenanigans, dont store your power armor at places where settlers have laser gatlings; they prioritize power armor over all else, so they'll take the core out of their gun, put it in your PA, and use it to defend.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Goddamn, what were they thinking with Nuka World? Did they think, after being captured and run through a Hunger Games style game-show, I was going to be all "yeah, this sounds like a great career move! Let me be your leader and keep these rival gangs from killing each other!"

Murdered the dude who pulled the strings. Murdered as many generic raiders as I could find. Murdered half the bosses, before getting bored and loving off back to the Commonwealth.

I might try, again, if I was assured that there was a way to gently caress all of these assholes over in the most brutal way possible. Maybe blow up the entire theme park. Jesus.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
After getting free you go through and clean up all the other parks, then hand them over as usual to whatever gang you feel like until they're all full. Then you turn the power back on and run back through the parks murdering all the raiders while going on the sweet rides. I don't think there's anything special you can do to the gangs other than shooting them dead, just like everything else.

I mean you can do that the second you leave the bumper cars ride but if you occupy all the parks first then there's more of them to kill.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

null_pointer posted:

Goddamn, what were they thinking with Nuka World? Did they think, after being captured and run through a Hunger Games style game-show, I was going to be all "yeah, this sounds like a great career move! Let me be your leader and keep these rival gangs from killing each other!"

Murdered the dude who pulled the strings. Murdered as many generic raiders as I could find. Murdered half the bosses, before getting bored and loving off back to the Commonwealth.

I might try, again, if I was assured that there was a way to gently caress all of these assholes over in the most brutal way possible. Maybe blow up the entire theme park. Jesus.

I haven't played it, but my understanding is that that was their response to everyone who said the game should have been about becoming the Lord Humongous of Boston instead of finding Shane or whatever his name was. Bethesda being... Bethesda, I suppose they felt compelled to cram a forced imprisonment sequence in so the shakes would stop. Really, I was just impressed that they managed to not do it in the main game.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

null_pointer posted:

It sure would have been nice to have the 'Open Season' quest end with all the enslaved people becoming unique settlers with unique perks, like the ones they (supposedly) have in-game via random encounter that are bugged to hell and back. Sure would'a been nice if they did that.

Oh, and to answer your question, they were thinking "JESUS gently caress, JUST RELEASE IT AND GET OFF OF THIS ALBATROSS."

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I haven't played it, but my understanding is that that was their response to everyone who said the game should have been about becoming the Lord Humongous of Boston instead of finding Shane or whatever his name was. Bethesda being... Bethesda, I suppose they felt compelled to cram a forced imprisonment sequence in so the shakes would stop. Really, I was just impressed that they managed to not do it in the main game.

An expansion focusing on leading a Mad Max gang of raiders would be extremely cool except in Nuka World you're the "leader" of the raiders just like you're the "leader" of the minutemen which means some guys send you to do stupid fetch quests while they sit around doing dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gobblecoque posted:

An expansion focusing on leading a Mad Max gang of raiders would be extremely cool except in Nuka World you're the "leader" of the raiders just like you're the "leader" of the minutemen which means some guys send you to do stupid fetch quests while they sit around doing dick.

See: Bethesda.

• Locked thread