Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MisterBibs posted:

I heard Saban himself apologized for it at some point during the time the (new) movie came out?
I'm shocked that he would apologize for making fun of the people who were about to go see his movie that was going to be sink or swim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RealFoxy posted:

I'm shocked that he would apologize

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I really, really liked the new movie. It was just so fun and I hope they do a new one with Tommi Oliver and Bulk and Skull

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This came up in my YouTube suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiDOO7hPu3k

Only $12.95 per vhs, which is about $22 in 2017 money, per episode. That’s loving nuts but I guess Power Rangers was loving insane in its popularity, but also home VCRs were a thing and that’s where all my copies came from, but then again I guess I never got the exclusive music videos

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They seemed to sure like to produce a lot of really long in-house commercials in the day. That's the second-most-cheesiest one I've seen yet. I rented a video once and the dancing kids number promoting their multiple toku shows they had at the time was the dumbest thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The best vintage PR commercials is still the commercials for the Megazord, Dragonzord, and Titanus

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I really wish there was a way to get episodes of Dengeki Sentai Changeman that didn’t involve :filez:
That show is the most dreary and violent sentai series I’ve seen yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

G-III posted:

I really wish there was a way to get episodes of Dengeki Sentai Changeman that didn’t involve :filez:
That show is the most dreary and violent sentai series I’ve seen yet.

Eh it doesn't really count as :filez: in my opinion if it's not being offered legally anywhere

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jason David Frank is going to be on Hyperforce January 2nd

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The day before my birthday! :swoon:

Good present.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Crosspost from the GIF thread, where I was using a new gif program and... well, the stuntmen on these shows sometimes takes some hits.

More enemies in Power Rangers should've tried this. gently caress the elaborate plans, let's just chuck these kids at a decent-sized chunk of natural lumber and see which gives out first, the wood or their spines.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 5, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
poo poo like that is why I would take In Space and Lost Galaxy over Season 3 or Zeo. The western team actually cared. Cared enough that they successfully pulled a sci-fi show out of Gingaman.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Lost Galaxy is an odd duck for me. Like you said, it's amazing how solid a storyline they managed to tease out of a nature-themed Sentai, especially given how much of a mess it was behind the scenes*. It's got some really high highs, but it's got spans of really low lows, too.

* I've linked to this at least a couple of times by now, but everyone should read Man Vs Sentai, a story about totally-not-Judd-Lynn having to deal with the seasons he worked on at the time.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 5, 2018

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Craptacular! posted:

poo poo like that is why I would take In Space and Lost Galaxy over Season 3 or Zeo. The western team actually cared. Cared enough that they successfully pulled a sci-fi show out of Gingaman.

I was actually rewatching Space about a month ago and I was seriously impressed on how far the stunt team had come by that point. It's leaps and bounds better than what came before as far as action goes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

I've linked to this at least a couple of times by now, but everyone should read Man Vs Sentai, a story about totally-not-Judd-Lynn having to deal with the seasons he worked on at the time.

That guy has some unusual opinions of what is and isn't popular.

The Psycho Rangers was something I was down with from the first episode: Not just absurdly powerful evil rangers, but ones designed to hone in on the real rangers when they do bullshit like teleporting, thus robbing them of this ever-convenient plot device? :monocle: Plus as they get tired of being under Borg-Astronema's start mouthing back when she lines them up and berates them, you kind of got the feeling that Astronema's "straighten your poo poo or I'll turn you to cosmic space-dust" stuff was pure bluffing. Like there was no way she would be able to stop them, she just had to intimidate them into not trying. It was one of the few times in PR where a head villain felt at the mercy of their monster instead of the other way around.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lost Galaxy could have been the best Power Ranger season of them all if the whole mess with Pink unfortunately getting cancer hadn't happened.

They had so many big plans for the show that just went sideways due to all of the scrambling behind the scenes that brought, and then the further nonsense from having to deal with their new Pink Ranger walking out on them and having to get ANOTHER one and scrapping a super high budget episode due to that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they handled it pretty well. Karone was a great replacement to pull outta their rear end.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
If anything Kendrix "dying" took the show in an even more interesting direction. It was probably the first time in the shows entire run that there were actual consequences to all the battles the rangers went through. Then they went and undid it at the end.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think they handled it pretty well. Karone was a great replacement to pull outta their rear end.

The previous season's villain and that red ranger's sister comes back to become a ranger herself? I don't think there was a better option.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Are there any interviews with creators about what the gently caress the deal with Super Megaforce was? Like why they left in Santa’s suits but reshot one of them to be MMPR red etc?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is that it also sent the show into free fall for over ten+ episodes as they scrambled to stall the actual plot of the show until they could get their Ranger roster figured out.

In the original plan for the show we would have spent a good chunk of time in the Lost Galaxy and done a lot more there, with the DaiRanger suits making a comeback as the original Lost Galaxy Rangers.

I really wish we could have seen how that went.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sockser posted:

Like why they left in Santa’s suits but reshot one of them to be MMPR red etc?

I love Christmas episodes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sounds like maybe they should have had legal draw up a better contract / pay their returning talent better.

But yeah, Karone joining up was enough :wtf: to cover the meandering. I wonder if the Dairanger stuff would have looped back to "oh, Zordon tapped into this to make Tigerzord powers and that's why Tommy was so OP"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Sounds like maybe they should have had legal draw up a better contract / pay their returning talent better.

But yeah, Karone joining up was enough :wtf: to cover the meandering. I wonder if the Dairanger stuff would have looped back to "oh, Zordon tapped into this to make Tigerzord powers and that's why Tommy was so OP"

Well there was an actually good reason why they were only paying the new Pink guest star money

They kept the original actress on full salary to help her pay for her medical bills which is something more generous than you normally hear about from Saban.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm glad Kendrick was bright back to life in the finale.

My head canon is she was killed as a ranger and trapped in the morphing grid, so when the sword was returned and the powers deactivated, she was able to seperate from them.

Also if the dairanger thing had happened I really like the implication that the Tigerzord was a galactabeast.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also if the dairanger thing had happened I really like the implication that the Tigerzord was a galactabeast.
Eh. I never really liked the goofy "playdough exterior to badass mech" thing they did, but Tigerzord does have the character of one of those things so it wouldnt be a bad asspull.

Out if all that mess, I'm left wondering what the big Passing of the Torch moment on the Megavoyager would have been like.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a script of that episode (described in the link I posted as Air Force One On The Megaship) floating around online that I think the folks in charge confirmed was real. Phone posting so I can't look for it right now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well, it was actually a space alien in Dairanger. Like, loving thing falls to earth from space, I'm pretty sure.

Anytime I try to keep straight what happened in Dairanger, I begin to question my sobriety. That show was bizarre.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Both InSpace and Lost Galaxy have this moment where they briefly go “okay we’ve been filming our own footage all season and now let’s drag out the episode count a bit by showing you just a peek of what the Sentai is like” and that just only makes it cooler.

I don’t mind the cast issues and whatnot, because this stuff has been part of Power Rangers from the get-go. Just because they were invoking Star Trek a bunch those two years didn’t make me expect actual Star Trek, I expected as many effects gaffes and low budget complications as come with the branding, I just thought the stunt work and the “believability” of the US footage finally felt impressive and exciting and able to stand up on it’s own. All I needed out of the Star Trek lookalike poo poo is that it didn’t look quite as embarrassing as the Alien Rangers did. By introducing a bunch of planets with humans in funny clothes and limiting the costumed freaks to Sentai monsters, they did alright.

Compare that to MMPR S2/3 where after Robogoat you have a lot of slow, plodding fight scenes where the rangers seem to be working in slow motion and the “white ranger divekicks toward camera” shot was used more than a Kamen Rider show would. And Kamen Rider is a show where divekicks are written into the theme song.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Craptacular! posted:

Both InSpace and Lost Galaxy have this moment where they briefly go “okay we’ve been filming our own footage all season and now let’s drag out the episode count a bit by showing you just a peek of what the Sentai is like” and that just only makes it cooler.

I love that the first Pyscho Rangers episode opens with the team stomping a random Megaranger monster before the theme song even plays.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can never remember the alien rangers names...
Delphine
Corcus
Tidus
Cestro
Aurico

I always forget one

poo poo, I remembered all five. I wonder what vital piece of information I forgot that allowed this

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Are you sure you didn't just remember party members of Final Fantasy X?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I read MMPR: Pink earlier and really enjoyed it. It hits both the really basic kind of fanservice ("a story featuring Kimberly, Zack, and Trini after they retired") while also going in on the really grognardy type that I'm usually kinda whatever about ("Kimberly's power was never transferred the way the others was, so does she still have it?", "what about leftover bits of Zord technology and the ones that aren't destroyed but we never see again?") while also just being a decent story on its own merits instead of relying on "hey, here's those toys you remember! Look at them! *shakes keys, hoping their shininess distracts you*" like a lot of that fan-driven stuff can.

Would love a similar mini focusing on Jason's time between leaving and becoming the Gold Ranger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All three BOOM! Comics Power Rangers...err...Comics are very good and I fully recommend all three to whoever wants MMPR but better written and more mature.

Even if I imagine all will go to hell with the massive crossover arc that the series doesn't really need.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yup.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So a cosplay prop maker who is known by staff and management is finishing up his Drakkon costume.

That is, his Drakkon costume that he designed by having JDF come over and try pieces on during building. Doing the same kick that appears in the gallery that was posted.

:thunk:

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It the wrong color

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It the wrong color

Huh? Drakkon's suit is mostly white in the comic, though?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was joking he's wearing all black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing you can't take away from JDF, dude is still fit as hell.

So when does Lord Drakkon show up in Power Rangers proper and start kicking rear end