Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PTN, can we have both A and then C afterwards? (Or the other way around if C wins.)

Both are just very, very popular. We need closure with the Demon Hawks campaign, and the Wolverines diehard mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Sel Nar posted:

Hilariously so. Two K-F drives in proximity, even if one is unpowered, tends to cause a phenomenon best described as 'everything within 20 kilometres of the initiator just got smeared into a monoatomic slurry across 30 light years'.

Wait, really? Weren't there a lot of invasions and things with large convoys of ships all the way from the Terran era (James McKenna), and down to Operation Bulldog. Or did they do something different?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

pity reply

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am casting vote for C) Plan D

painedforever posted:

Wait, really? Weren't there a lot of invasions and things with large convoys of ships all the way from the Terran era (James McKenna), and down to Operation Bulldog. Or did they do something different?
They are probably far enough apart - I think by "close enough together" they mean "in the same hull or two ships far too close to each other".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

painedforever posted:

They were almost certainly hundreds or thousands of miles apart.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Casting a vote for A

Wolverines!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

They were almost certainly hundreds or thousands of miles apart.

Probably within visual range.

Where "visual range" is "that dim pinprick of reflected light over there is another ship"

Space is big, BattleTech does take that into account. The odds of emerging from hyperspace and hitting another JumpShip at either the Nadir or Zenith jump points is so minuscule the possibility is never even mentioned in the fiction.

RA Rx posted:

PTN, can we have both A and then C afterwards? (Or the other way around if C wins.)

The NRWR is guaranteed to lose something this vote. If the Demon Hawks die, I promise they won't get the Black Thorns treatment*.

*By which I mean: they'll die on-camera

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 7, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Plan B

Screw the NRWR and all their B.S., I'm tired of them always being one step ahead of everyone else. Let the other plans fail spectacularly. Let's play as Clans again and kick some teeth in.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

pun pundit posted:

What defines a K-F drive for interference purposes, then? I mean, could you chop it into parts and it would be fine? Or is there a core of Space Maginium that creates this interference effect? Could you bring a whole drive sans core and it would be fine?

The Drive Core is what makes up about 90% of a Jumpship's mass, however. So in this case, the supercooled Gallium/Titanium Core is what causes the interference, and without it, there is no jump drive, because it acts as a particularly massive capacitor and focal point for the 'bubble' that folds space.

Sarna.net posted:

Replacement cores cannot be transported as typical cargo transiting through hyperspace. There are two ways to deliver a core to a different star system. The first is the more common, when the appropriate transport assets are available: once constructed or removed from the previous hull, the core is attached to a complete drive and installed within a lightweight transport shell. Another JumpShip would then temporarily attach itself in order to provide the necessary charge and to program the jump through hyperspace. After the charging 'Ship has removed itself to a safe distance, the shell would jump to the target location. The second method would have the titanium-germanium core ground into gravel-sized particles and (usually) chemically treated to reduce the interference with a functional K-F drive. It would then be reprocessed in a zero-gravity facility and recast into a new core, a process requiring many months.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

The NRWR is guaranteed to lose something this vote. If the Demon Hawks die, I promise they won't get the Black Thorns treatment*.

*By which I mean: they'll die on-camera

By this you mean a vote for A is a vote to kill the Demon Hawks?

I wonder how many A voters realise they just signed Dadlas's death warrant.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Voting C.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Guess it's time to get on the C bandwagon

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

That is exactly the opposite of what I said.

At least one thing the NRWR is involved in is going to explode spectacularly, but the Demon Hawks are only going to be killed if the people playing them get them killed.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 7, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder how many A voters realise they just signed Dadlas's death warrant.

They’re specifically guaranteed not to die off camera if whatever criteria happen. Voting for another scenario which takes place elsewhere suggests it could be a little more complex than that.

E: well this is what I get for subtlety ;)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So the NRWR is guaranteed to either have their deep strike fail, or lose the campaign on Andurien, regardless of votes? :ohdear:

On the plus side, the people who hate the NRWR and want to see them fail are guaranteed to get what they want no matter which of the three options wins!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

On the plus side, the people who hate the NRWR and want to see them fail are guaranteed to get what they want no matter which of the three options wins!

And the only way the Vipers and Widowmakers have a fighting chance in the periphery is if the thread votes 'B.' And if Luthien hadn't been voted in, chances are the invasion would've failed or been locked into a long stalemate.

I'd make it clear from the outset if the actual survival of a nation was at stake, but Stefan Amaris VII was always going to bite off more than he could swallow.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And the only way the Vipers and Widowmakers have a fighting chance in the periphery is if the thread votes 'B.' And if Luthien hadn't been voted in, chances are the invasion would've failed or been locked into a long stalemate.

I'd make it clear from the outset if the actual survival of a nation was at stake, but Stefan Amaris VII was always going to bite off more than he could swallow.

If the Clans win on Andurien, aren't the NRWR pretty hosed? They had most of their military forces, both ground and space, there. The parts they didn't dedicate to fighting the three Clans are dedicated to Red Dawn.

Red Dawn failing might have been preferable to whatever the forces of the Clans are going to do to undefended NRWR worlds. :ohdear:

[EDIT] So Red Dawn is now a Genocide Cross Counter, which sounds exactly like the kind of name an SNK boss would have for a super move.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clans are good at: fighting
Clans are bad at: achieving lasting victories

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

If the Clans win on Andurien, aren't the NRWR pretty hosed? They had most of their military forces, both ground and space, there. The parts they didn't dedicate to fighting the three Clans are dedicated to Red Dawn.

Red Dawn failing might have been preferable to whatever the forces of the Clans are going to do to undefended NRWR worlds. :ohdear:

[EDIT] So Red Dawn is now a Genocide Cross Counter, which sounds exactly like the kind of name an SNK boss would have for a super move.
Wait what, I didnt realize it was that many in Andurien. I missed so much :psyduck:. Did those clans give the rest of the IS a pass and just jump past all of them to go after the NRWR?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wait what, I didnt realize it was that many in Andurien. I missed so much :psyduck:. Did those clans give the rest of the IS a pass and just jump past all of them to go after the NRWR?

Yeah, but one of them only brought a single trinary

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.
As much as the last exchange worried me, I will still have to go with C , Duncan & Jason were even considering retirement after selling those tasty clan mechs they captured. Then the Bounty Hunter told them otherwise.

If it is the end of the Demon Hawks, I for one want to see it turn-by-turn!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

In like Zinn posted:

If it is the end of the Demon Hawks

But I just told you it wouldn't be.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's only the end if they get picked and PTN's dice are extra bloodthirsty.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
anyway I'm voting A because Tetatae had better show up :colbert:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Psion posted:

anyway I'm voting A because Tetatae had better show up :colbert:

That only happens if it loses bad enough.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

That is exactly the opposite of what I said.

At least one thing the NRWR is involved in is going to explode spectacularly, but the Demon Hawks are only going to be killed if the people playing them get them killed.

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by off camera. I thought you meant they could still be murdered as viewpoint characters in a story update.

Still voting C!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, andurien needs gooncompany or it'll fall? I was a bit quick on the draw with my vote then lol

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It will be ok, vote for the fight that you think will be most interesting.

Trust me.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which is why I picked Red Dawn, ultimately. I'm dying to see how the revived Wolverines fight!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The short version is a couple of Clans detoured into FWL space, and while the FWL leadership was trying to talk to them, some NRWR stealth mechs showed up, killed the command trinary of... uh, I forget which Clan, and left them a recorded message that essentially said "Hey, remember SPACE HITLER? Well I'm his great-great-great-grandson, and I hear you're looking for me! If you are as civilized as you claim to be, lets throw down in an arranged fight at these coordinates. Oh, and if you plan to get sneaky, everything else is mined with nukes.". We voted on how the Clans would react to that, and the vote was that they'd just run off immediately without telling the other Clans, so they could take all the glory for themselves when they undoubtedly smashed Hitler's grandsons army because how could the Clans ever lose?!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

The short version is a couple of Clans detoured into FWL space, and while the FWL leadership was trying to talk to them, some NRWR stealth mechs showed up, killed the command trinary of... uh, I forget which Clan, and left them a recorded message that essentially said "Hey, remember SPACE HITLER? Well I'm his great-great-great-grandson, and I hear you're looking for me! If you are as civilized as you claim to be, lets throw down in an arranged fight at these coordinates. Oh, and if you plan to get sneaky, everything else is mined with nukes.". We voted on how the Clans would react to that, and the vote was that they'd just run off immediately without telling the other Clans, so they could take all the glory for themselves when they undoubtedly smashed Hitler's grandsons army because how could the Clans ever lose?!
Ahh awesome, thank you for the break-down.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

It was the Snow Raven/Sea Fox (Diamond Shark)/Ghost Bear alliance, and as mentioned, the latter only sent a Trinary of mechs. Uncle Stevie taunted them to fight on Andurien, using their batchall challenge against them when they arrived, and induced Kessler Syndrome over the planet to make sure that they didn't come down on an unapproved route.

The Clans in question traversed most of the Sphere from their staging grounds over by one of the Invasion corridors (the Ravens were providing air/space support to one of the corridors with their fleet and fighters and flagship that was jump torpedoed over Andurien by Uncle Stevie that one time, IIRC), and issued a Trial to the FWL to let them pass without obstruction so they could go fight the NRWR (relatively) fresh. The thread voted on Duncan Marik's response, and fought a token trial/duel so the Clans wouldn't be seen as moving through the FWL unchallenged.

One of the participants in that Trial was a NRWR plant, who gave a hint as to the level of tech they had access to (PA(L) piloting suits with remote links among them, plus the tech on his mech, including the retractable blades that are apparently the signature of NRWR mech melee weapons here). Then the NRWR special forces (Blackguards, I think) ambushed the Clan command and security mechs in their compound right after the conclusion of that trial in the mission right after, and GoonClanners got destroyed by bullshit tech (null sig, all those blades, that loving Crab wrecking more than triple it's weight in Wave 3 Assault Mechs), and a bunch of Galaxy Command vehicles and leadership got destroyed and killed. Man, that was a brutal example of what they could do.

It pissed the Clans in question off enough for them to beeline straight to Andurien despite obviously knowing that Uncle Stevie was baiting a trap for them, and here we are today. The Demon Hawks hired on, seriously kicked some Clan butt with the help of some good doggies and NRWR hyper tech, witnessed Uncle Stevie order the jump torpedo that destroyed the Snow Raven flagship the McKenna, then Clan PA assassins broke through the tunnels underneath the main Andurien staging area and killed Uncle Stevie (only partially in revenge, I would think, his head was what the Clanners thought was one of the main objectives of the campaign, since he is the assumed ruler of the NRWR and the descendant of Space Hitler/Satan to the Clans to boot), according to the plan laid out by actual President Amaris, and now the NRWR are going to go all out on Andurien to avenge him and annihilate the Clan forces here because of it (as well as fight for their survival, of course since if they lose, they're pretty much all getting put to the sword, civilians and all just because they're still part of the NRWR after all and tainted by Space Hitler).

EDIT: null-sig'd. Shouldn't have gone into so much detail in the middle of eating lunch...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 7, 2018

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I love reading the cascade effect our votes caused. :allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GhostStalker posted:

now the NRWR are going to go all out on Andurien to avenge him and annihilate the Clan forces here because of it (as well as fight for their survival, of course since if they lose, they're pretty much all getting put to the sword, civilians and all just because they're still part of the NRWR after all and tainted by Space Hitler).

This is the part that has me worried about the NRWR losing the fight on Andurien if it doesn't win the overall vote. Red Dawn is almost certainly the more interesting fight, and I do trust PTN, but I can't really see a way the NRWR loses their fight on Andurien with their ENTIRE military and the Clans, incompetent they may be at "lasting victories", not being able to successfully roll around to a bunch of undefended worlds and just murder everyone unopposed. That really feels like a situation where President Amaris gambled big (as he is one to do), and lost, and now everybody in the NRWR dies. Battletech jumps don't even work like Freespace jump tech where the NRWR could collapse a jump node or something out of desperation, trapping the Clan forces on Andurien so all the NRWR people on Andurien die, but the Clans are trapped there in a meaningless victory that still protects the rest of the NRWR.

Come on, President Amaris. Have some kind of plan. :pray:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zaodai posted:

This is the part that has me worried about the NRWR losing the fight on Andurien if it doesn't win the overall vote. Red Dawn is almost certainly the more interesting fight, and I do trust PTN, but I can't really see a way the NRWR loses their fight on Andurien with their ENTIRE military and the Clans, incompetent they may be at "lasting victories", not being able to successfully roll around to a bunch of undefended worlds and just murder everyone unopposed. That really feels like a situation where President Amaris gambled big (as he is one to do), and lost, and now everybody in the NRWR dies. Battletech jumps don't even work like Freespace jump tech where the NRWR could collapse a jump node or something out of desperation, trapping the Clan forces on Andurien so all the NRWR people on Andurien die, but the Clans are trapped there in a meaningless victory that still protects the rest of the NRWR.

Come on, President Amaris. Have some kind of plan. :pray:

Honestly even if the Clans wipe Andurien to the last man, I don't see them as having the resources left after Andurien to pose an existential threat to the NRWR or anyone else; they have no supply chain, and every 'Mech exploded by a Good Doggie is a 'Mech the Clans aren't going to get back.

Also, if memory serves the agreement the Clans worked out with the FWL gave them the right to pass through FWL territory unscathed on their way to the NRWR... not the way back.

(maybe it's House Marik who had the real plan all along! :pray:)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Honestly even if the Clans wipe Andurien to the last man, I don't see them as having the resources left after Andurien to pose an existential threat to the NRWR or anyone else; they have no supply chain, and every 'Mech exploded by a Good Doggie is a 'Mech the Clans aren't going to get back.

Also, if memory serves the agreement the Clans worked out with the FWL gave them the right to pass through FWL territory unscathed on their way to the NRWR... not the way back.

(maybe it's House Marik who had the real plan all along! :pray:)

If they come away with the overall victory on Andurien, they've beaten both the ground AND space forces of the NRWR. They won't need mechs to exterminate the populace of the NRWR. Even if orbital bombardment leaves some isolated stragglers alive (who still have to survive in a bombed out hellscape), they can quite easily jump from system to system and obliterate all the major population centers unopposed. Even if the FWL kills the remnants of the Clan forces on the way back after they kill everyone, they've still succeeded in killing everyone.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

PoptartsNinja posted:

But I just told you it wouldn't be.

That's how I read it, if we pick the fight in which they are involved (option C), there will be a chance they lose if the players lose, if we vote the opposite they're safe. Still chose C, because I want to see that fight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It will be ok, vote for the fight that you think will be most interesting.

Trust me.

So it's between balls to the wall Wolverines, crazy rear end clanner funnies, and the goddamn Mandi Domino

E: sure thing phone I'll accept your auto-correct proposal

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Xarbala posted:

. . . Mandi Domino

Hehehe. Priceless.

Maybe in this time line they should be called 'Mandi Domino'; its not any worst than their stupid pig-latin faux grandiose pretentious nomenclature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Mandi Domino would make a good mechwarrior name for some periphery pirate.

• Locked thread