Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Man I just got completely destroyed and lost a good portion of a level's experience.

1 - Apex of something? Only level 70's mobs but the pack size was huge and every time I ran into a new pack I was drat near getting one-shotted. Made it to the Queen of the Vaal but was on my last portal at that point and she one-shotted me after I hit my resist potion. Boink.

2 - Daily mission for Zana. I'm on T4~T5 maps, most of which are no problem, but this map was huge packs, timed so you couldn't waste much time, and because it had a mod summoning creatures from beyond for killing mobs in close proximity (hahaha.. how else are those giant packs going to die?), I pulled some sort of dude that would make then entire screen explode at once without any warning that I could see (I could barely see a difference between the boss and al the other dudes running around). I got 8/10 lodestones, but just couldn't get that guy down and I used up all my portals and had to abandon the mission.

I desperately need better gear at this point I guess, but I'm having a lot of trouble improving my armor and health while maintaining my resists at 75. I finally got better chest plate, but it's still only a 4-link and the end-game build calls for a 6-link.. something I've never actually seen! Health is a bit over 4k and physical mitigation is 56%. Still feel squishy as gently caress on some things, while being able to clear T4 maps without breaking a sweat.

Still missing a T2 map and a T3, which are annoying me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1. The mobs in Atziri (Apex of Sacrifice) are nothing to sneeze at, but it's usually the trio or Atziri herself that'll do you in.
2. Ah, you ran into Bameth. He has a rather lovely Desecrate - Vaal Detonate Dead combo that can gently caress you up.
3. 6Ls aren't really something you see out in the wild. If you can scrape together enough currency though, corrupted 6L items are fairly cheap (compared to non-corrupted 6Ls), but you may have to sacrifice some defensive stats to get something affordable and in the colors you need.
4. Ask in gchat for the maps, assuming Zana isn't selling them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

whypick1 posted:

1. The mobs in Atziri (Apex of Sacrifice) are nothing to sneeze at, but it's usually the trio or Atziri herself that'll do you in.
2. Ah, you ran into Bameth. He has a rather lovely Desecrate - Vaal Detonate Dead combo that can gently caress you up.
3. 6Ls aren't really something you see out in the wild. If you can scrape together enough currency though, corrupted 6L items are fairly cheap (compared to non-corrupted 6Ls), but you may have to sacrifice some defensive stats to get something affordable and in the colors you need.
4. Ask in gchat for the maps, assuming Zana isn't selling them.

Thanks for the info.

I looked at the suggested 6L for the build, and it was something like 7 or 8 ex if I remember right, which is about 20x more money than I possess. :)

I'm not in the guild since every time that anyone has asked to get in since I started playing again they were told it was full, so I never bothered asking.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

atziri is going to kill you until you understand the pattern. practice fighting her immediately after getting a level so that you don't really have to eat the death penalty

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It sounds like your guide has big eyes. Don't be afraid to buy simple, usable items for now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

George posted:

It sounds like your guide has big eyes. Don't be afraid to buy simple, usable items for now.

The guide lists uniques that he likes, but he also lists all the prefix/affix/suffix stuff to look for on rare items, I just haven't been having a lot of luck getting the stuff I need.

Another stupid newbie question - I got a Divine Vessel. I read the wiki on how to use it to unlock pantheon stuff, but is there a way to know when to use it? Are the bosses unique to each map so I just have to look at the pantheon I want to capture a soul for and then use it on that map? I'm guessing it can't be re-used and I have to keep finding more of these?

Edit: Nevermind, just started looking up the bosses from the Pantheon and they are all associated with a map. :)

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 7, 2018

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

For a chest pretty much every build can just run Tabula until you can afford to link up your own unique chest (or outright buy one)

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Abysses are pretty annoying with RF, can't shield charge around them easily so I've ended up sacrificing a slot to add leap slam. Seems like the rewards aren't usually worth it either, is there any reason I shouldn't stop doing them entirely?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

That Gobbo posted:

Abysses are pretty annoying with RF, can't shield charge around them easily so I've ended up sacrificing a slot to add leap slam. Seems like the rewards aren't usually worth it either, is there any reason I shouldn't stop doing them entirely?

Some of the abyssal depths lich uniques are really good; shroud of the lightless is going for 9ex right now.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Wezlar posted:

For a chest pretty much every build can just run Tabula until you can afford to link up your own unique chest (or outright buy one)

6L rares are so incredibly cheap this league there's no reason to use tabula once you're into maps unless you compulsively change what colors you need. Buying a white 6l is 15c and just using an Essence of Greed on it guarantees a big upgrade over a tabula.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Eminai posted:

6L rares are so incredibly cheap this league there's no reason to use tabula once you're into maps unless you compulsively change what colors you need. Buying a white 6l is 15c and just using an Essence of Greed on it guarantees a big upgrade over a tabula.

Yeah it's definitely better but you still need to build up some currency, you can blast a ton of chromes trying to get the right colours and some combos are pretty expensive if you just want to buy the right colours. Tabula is really cheap while you fill out the rest of your gear and it does the job.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The trick is to look at your socket colors, and grab the base that suits you best. Casters want pure INT or hybrid INT/STR or INT/DEX bases, melee usually wants STR or STR/DEX. A little planning ahead goes a long way.

In general, I like to grab a 6L white as soon as possible in the league. Hit it with a Shrieking Greed essence, and see what resists it rolls. When that's fixed in stone, you can build the rest of your gear around it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

The Locator posted:

The guide lists uniques that he likes, but he also lists all the prefix/affix/suffix stuff to look for on rare items, I just haven't been having a lot of luck getting the stuff I need.

Another stupid newbie question - I got a Divine Vessel. I read the wiki on how to use it to unlock pantheon stuff, but is there a way to know when to use it? Are the bosses unique to each map so I just have to look at the pantheon I want to capture a soul for and then use it on that map? I'm guessing it can't be re-used and I have to keep finding more of these?

Edit: Nevermind, just started looking up the bosses from the Pantheon and they are all associated with a map. :)

You can also just type in the boss' name in the Atlas and it will highlight the map it is in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Eminai posted:

Lol... you guys have a very different concept of 'incredibly cheap' than I do. The cheapest 6L white in the colors I need (4R/2B) is 20c, and it's chainmail. The only plate armor for lots of armor listed doesn't have a price, which is fairly annoying.

My entire bankroll is now up to 40c. Woo...

I hate trading, but I guess I'm going to have to at some point. I have 3 tabs full of uniques now, and no clue what they are worth, who knows I may have something worth a few currency things. I found a Brightbeak today which is worth a whopping 1alch or maybe 1c based on the listed ones. Will take a long time to dig through all of them and search for values, and then of course I'd have to deal with the trade, and I like to actually play the game, not deal with tells trading stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

whypick1 posted:

You can also just type in the boss' name in the Atlas and it will highlight the map it is in.

Cool, thanks!

I opened up a map today that a boss is available to capture on the Atlas, so if I'd waited about an hour I would have known the answer to my question without even googling it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
20c is like, a hour of doing the chaos recipe unless you only do one map per hour.

In a week of doing the league, I had 8 exalts and 1700 chaos, I feel that is on the low side compared to people trading around triple digit exalts or those that bought exalts at 40c a piece, most of my trading was 1-5c life/double resist items and just killing as much as possible as fast as possible.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 7, 2018

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Locator posted:

Cool, thanks!

I opened up a map today that a boss is available to capture on the Atlas, so if I'd waited about an hour I would have known the answer to my question without even googling it.

I'm running the same build and the soul you want to capture is in the T5 Toxic Sewer map.

The Locator posted:

Lol... you guys have a very different concept of 'incredibly cheap' than I do. The cheapest 6L white in the colors I need (4R/2B) is 20c, and it's chainmail. The only plate armor for lots of armor listed doesn't have a price, which is fairly annoying.

:orb:

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 7, 2018

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Was trying to craft something for a friend's LLRF build and got these rolls. Not sure how to price it considering the chaos res and lack of added damage rolls.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

The Locator posted:

I hate trading, but I guess I'm going to have to at some point. I have 3 tabs full of uniques now, and no clue what they are worth, who knows I may have something worth a few currency things. I found a Brightbeak today which is worth a whopping 1alch or maybe 1c based on the listed ones. Will take a long time to dig through all of them and search for values, and then of course I'd have to deal with the trade, and I like to actually play the game, not deal with tells trading stuff.

This has probably already been linked to you, but I'm going to link it again:

https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro

With that running, hit ctrl+d with your mouse over a unique (or superior gem) and it'll give you the 10 cheapest items from poe.trade. Beware of price fixers, but they're usually very obvious. If you get like 20 whispers as soon as the item is indexed, you've probably significantly underpriced the item. The other thing to bear in mind is even some common uniques might sell for a lot with top rolls - you can check this with ctrl+c. The large majority of uniques in this game are trash or too common to be valuable, just in case you hadn't worked that out yourself yet!

Rares can be priced using ctrl+alt+d and selecting the mods that are interesting, though that just takes time and playing varied builds to work out. Life + tri-resist armour with good rolls will always be worth a lot though. You can see the tier of each mod with ctrl+c.

A good loot filter, e.g. neversink's, will highlight potentially interesting items and make loud noises when something potentially expensive drops. I learnt a lot about pricing items by using a strict filter and working out exactly why items were being shown or highlighted. There is usually significant economy shift from league to league, so always a good idea to keep your filter up-to-date.

Also, perhaps you know this already, but to trade you either need to invest a fair amount of effort or just pick up some premium stash tabs and learn how to use them. I strongly suggest the latter. Trade chat is for scammers and people who don't know what they're doing.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Nostalgia, mostly. It was a lot better back when it did competitive damage with considerable tankiness. Now it requires considerable investment to just not feel awful, and the tankiness is lost in a lot of cases because other builds can just poo poo out so much more damage compared to last year.

Oh well.

Did you try an animate guardian dualwielding dyadus? :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

..btt posted:

This has probably already been linked to you, but I'm going to link it again:

https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro

With that running, hit ctrl+d with your mouse over a unique (or superior gem) and it'll give you the 10 cheapest items from poe.trade. Beware of price fixers, but they're usually very obvious. If you get like 20 whispers as soon as the item is indexed, you've probably significantly underpriced the item. The other thing to bear in mind is even some common uniques might sell for a lot with top rolls - you can check this with ctrl+c. The large majority of uniques in this game are trash or too common to be valuable, just in case you hadn't worked that out yourself yet!

Rares can be priced using ctrl+alt+d and selecting the mods that are interesting, though that just takes time and playing varied builds to work out. Life + tri-resist armour with good rolls will always be worth a lot though. You can see the tier of each mod with ctrl+c.

A good loot filter, e.g. neversink's, will highlight potentially interesting items and make loud noises when something potentially expensive drops. I learnt a lot about pricing items by using a strict filter and working out exactly why items were being shown or highlighted. There is usually significant economy shift from league to league, so always a good idea to keep your filter up-to-date.

Also, perhaps you know this already, but to trade you either need to invest a fair amount of effort or just pick up some premium stash tabs and learn how to use them. I strongly suggest the latter. Trade chat is for scammers and people who don't know what they're doing.

Running Eversink's already, thanks.

I installed the trade macro and went through all my stuff. I had three items worth a chaos, and was down to my last three items when I found a staff that might be worth 4c, and then... Bisco's Collar... 16ex is the cheapest one! If someone decides to buy that, then I guess I won't be poor anymore. :) Of course I will have to deal with breaking some of them into chaos I guess.

Instantly got an offer of 14ex before I even had the price set, which was funny.

-----------------

Currency trading prices are stupid. Exalted all have prices like "0.5555746 x Unknown". How the hell am I supposed to figure out what to sell an Ex for?

The Locator fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 7, 2018

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Sell them for like 90c? :confused:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

https://poe.ninja/challenge/currency will tell you how to price your currency, they're about 90c right now.

Congrats on your surprise Biscos.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks, appreciate it. No idea why all the currency I can see listed is at really strange prices that I can't interpret.

Lol.. listed 3 at 90c each and got 10 tells in less than a minute. Guess 90c is a good price.

Got me a Belly of the Beast and the two support gems made my paper DPS (without buffs or totem up) go from 9786 to 14183. :v:

Dropped my lightning resist to 55%, so that's my next thing to work on. Thanks for all the help this morning with the trade/pricing stuff.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 7, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ok, last dumb question of the morning (maybe).

I have gloves that have life leech on physical attacks. 100% of my damage is converted to fire. Is that life leech doing anything from the initial physical damage, or is it doing nothing because I only do fire damage?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's doing nothing.

edit: to elaborate, leech is applied at the end of the damage equation after everything has been increased/decreased/converted.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 7, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Vasudus posted:

It's doing nothing.

edit: to elaborate, leech is applied at the end of the damage equation after everything has been increased/decreased/converted.

Thanks. That makes the decision to get new gloves really easy!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Please don't sell your biscos, if you chain run maps you'll get more returns out of wearing it than you would from just flat selling it

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

Please don't sell your biscos, if you chain run maps you'll get more returns out of wearing it than you would from just flat selling it

Too late. Also I'll never be that sort of player, I have a full time job with a long commute, and I will probably not even have my atlas complete before the league ends as I've got a couple of trips coming up that will wipe out the weekends when most of my playtime happens. I typically only have an hour or two on some weeknights to play, and the only reason I'm as far along as I am now is because of the Christmas/New Years holidays.

I was watching a video on how to make the most currency in the game, and one of the things the guy says is "If you are a super-casual player and can't play all day every day".. lol... I'm way beyond "super-casual" by that definition.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Luna Was Here posted:

Lol, you have to run a shitload of maps to make biscos worth it, especially when you could be wearing other mf gear for a fraction of the cost.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

I was watching a video on how to make the most currency in the game, and one of the things the guy says is "If you are a super-casual player and can't play all day every day".. lol... I'm way beyond "super-casual" by that definition.

I saw a guide recently where someone said that they consider themselves a casual player, then also mentioned they have 1000+ hours in the game.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
yeah, I've noticed a lot of streamers and youtubers have an insanely warped view of what "casual" play is, which I guess makes sense for people who play video games for a living

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I saw a guide recently where someone said that they consider themselves a casual player, then also mentioned they have 1000+ hours in the game.

That could easily be someone who levels a couple alts each league for a year or so. It's really easy to sink a ton of time without actually seeing hard content.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

20c is like, a hour of doing the chaos recipe unless you only do one map per hour.

In a week of doing the league, I had 8 exalts and 1700 chaos, I feel that is on the low side compared to people trading around triple digit exalts or those that bought exalts at 40c a piece, most of my trading was 1-5c life/double resist items and just killing as much as possible as fast as possible.

By chaos recipe do you mean the full item set recipe? That's how people make money in this game?

sigh

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

By chaos recipe do you mean the full item set recipe? That's how people make money in this game?

sigh

It's an option early in the league.

I don't usually trade in rares, I make my money from jewelers/fusings converted to chaos/exalts, uniques, and selling 21/0 jewels. The only way to make money doing those things is simply running more maps.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

sigh

I havent done the chaos recipe at all this league except when I get the prophecy for it and I'm wearing ~10ex and sitting on 42ex according to currency cop

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Luna Was Here posted:

You have to grind out about 80 exalts before biscos is worth using over selling. That’s not counting whatever efficiency you lose from not having an amulet equipped. Biscos is almost never worth it unless you’re willing to gamble that you can sell it after you’re done grinding.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

only took a shitton of elder kills to finally get that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Eminai posted:

You have to grind out about 80 exalts before biscos is worth using over selling. That’s not counting whatever efficiency you lose from not having an amulet equipped. Biscos is almost never worth it unless you’re willing to gamble that you can sell it after you’re done grinding.

:pwn:
Where the gently caress is that "80 exalt" number coming from? I feel like I saw it on Reddit off of some really bad dumb math, but wherever it's from is dumb and bad.

Saying biscos is "never worth it" is really god drat dumb and sounds like some poo poo coming from someone who's never used the thing in a reasonable manner. I can tell you personally in legacy league I almost tripled the amount of currency I generated because of the insane quant bonus it gives. Provided you aren't doing something really stupid like running maps with no mobs(strand) or awful layouts (excavation, cells, spider forest to an extent but it's probably worth it with a biscos) you are going to Hoover currency and maps (which you can sell for more currency) like it's nothing.

Mr. Despair posted:

Lol, you have to run a shitload of maps to make biscos worth it, especially when you could be wearing other mf gear for a fraction of the cost.

I feel like the amount of maps you have to run is overstated but yeah, if you're not running a decent number of them you won't see as many immediate returns

As far as "wear other mf gear" nothing comes close to biscos. You'd have to wear multiple pieces like windripper, sadimas and ventors(completely ignoring the part where well rolled ventors are also stupid expensive) to come close to the iir biscos gives, and that's not even counting the iiq, which nothing else in the game touches.