Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tears In A Vial posted:

Every podcasts first episode: please let us know on twitter, facebook and reddit if you liked the show, contact us on email, please leave us a five star review, send your funny fan art to us, leave a message on our google voice answer phone, and send actual post to PO Box 65109

300th episode: don't contact us you fuckin reprobates

seems like anyone's fair reaction to getting an internet community really.

"Oh boy we're gonna meet our fans and interact with them and improve with their helpful advice!"

"Please stop sending us pictures of us sucking our own dicks, if you @ me I'll loving end your life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I know I’ve been posting a lot of TAZ stuff lately, but only because it’s been super good. Balance spoilers, of course. This one has a sweet action sequence, and the words that we should all keep close to heart this year.

https://youtu.be/nectsOEb2_o

“You’re going to have to fight. And...

...you’re gonna win.”

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

sexpig by night posted:

"Please stop sending us pictures of us sucking our own dicks, if you @ me I'll loving end your life."

Oh no, this is probably a literal thing Nick Wiger is getting.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Poopy Palpy posted:

Oh no, this is probably a literal thing Nick Wiger is getting.

Burger boy samples his own mayo just once and suddenly his legacy is in shambles

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm sure it's a welcome reprieve from the nick/mitch shipping art

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Serf posted:

any time i can incorporate a star wipe into my rpg sessions i do so without hesitance
oh right duh I've definitely used wipe transitions jokingly sometimes when my star wars game moves scenes

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

oh right duh I've definitely used wipe transitions jokingly sometimes when my star wars game moves scenes

Campaign does stuff like this a lot, but I find it works a lot better for me there than in The Adventure Zone. Maybe because it's a little more restrained, maybe because they mostly do it to imitate a Star Wars movie's transitions and it's more jokey, I don't know.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Campaign does stuff like this a lot, but I find it works a lot better for me there than in The Adventure Zone. Maybe because it's a little more restrained, maybe because they mostly do it to imitate a Star Wars movie's transitions and it's more jokey, I don't know.

The main players also often take the roles of NPCs to describe and play out things the main characters may not even be aware of till later, particularly in the latest arc. It's definitely made to more closely imitate a Star Wars TV show.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I've still got 15 minutes left on the latest Sawbones ep and hooly dooly it is already an all-timer

"...probably would have melted his skull, to some extent..."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Everything about the character and setting concepts for the new TAZ mini-arc is great and I'm genuinely surprised to see so many negative or ambivalent reactions. All three characters seem very coherent and seem like they'll hang together well, and I like that they're trying new things with what are explicitly meant to be experimental arcs to see what works and what doesn't.

Griffin using camera pan terminology when setting a scene just seems a little nit-picky. I had a refresher recently on just how clumsy and un-cinematic actual roleplaying is, anyone actually pulling off some kind of effective narration is already exceeding expectations. On that note I'll add that in Commitment I was pleasantly surprised with how well Clint was able to run his game and paint immersive scenes, wasn't sure if it was going to be his sort of thing.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've been burning through TAZ recently and am up to Stolen Century.

Taako is the greatest and most powerful wizard of all imo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The main players also often take the roles of NPCs to describe and play out things the main characters may not even be aware of till later, particularly in the latest arc. It's definitely made to more closely imitate a Star Wars TV show.

Yea I like the 'tv style' for RPGs and my group does it but you gotta let the group talk about NPCs and junk too so you can set up fun stuff. TAZ is great but it feels like none of them are very into the improv style that makes most actual plays like Campaign/One Shot so fun. That's fine, it's a preference thing and I don't think TAZ NEEDS it, but it becomes clear in moments like that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For all of its flaws I think they did their best improv during stolen century, a game Griffin designed to encourage improv.

Most of the other arcs played like a video game that the players were trying to win and most goof-em-up moments were done with game mechanics, like using a silly spell or riding a rhino.

I hope using monster of the week also plays like stolen century instead of like, say, Crystal kingdom

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It'll really have to wait until they get into the actual gameplay, but I've definitely felt for a long while that a PBTA variant would work best for their whole style of gameplay (rules-light, heavy on describing actions over going by-the-book, lots of room for doing creative things)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What are some other good D&D or RPG podcasts? I'll keep listeningi to TAZ, but I could use something to scratch that itch.

I enjoyed early-on episodes of Nerd Poker with Brian Posehn, but after they lost their original DM, they gave the job to Blaine Capatch, who was notoriously the most apt to derail things, slow down the story, or simply stop playing the game to make jokes about TV production. Funny dude, but not fun to listen to DM a game where he seemed to have absolutely no loving idea where the story was going and kept pitting them against incredibly difficult fights and endless NPCs who were all immediately hostile. Also, upon that reboot, they basically pushed out one of their best role players by all just being stupidly violent morons, until she couldn't think of any logical reason why her characters wouldn't have just fled some night after they made camp.

I did like, though, that people just loving died in that game, and then the IRL person would come back and play a new interloper, so it allowed someone to be reckless and just fuckin' die or to play two very different characters back to back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Dan Harmon show in vrv is good, they have a good dm

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dragon Friends is, theoretically a D&D podcast

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

sexpig by night posted:

Dragon Friends is, theoretically a D&D podcast

Dragon Friends loving owns. It also has the only instance of a D&D party psycopath that I didn't immediately hate. I've had the flu this last week and I watched like thirty hours of their special streams on the D&D twitch channel, between bouts of aggressive sweating. It kept me nourished.

Friends at the Table is apparently one of Griffin's favourites but I can't get into it. There's also Campaign and One Shot, which I haven't checked out yet but people say is pretty good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

Dragon Friends loving owns. It also has the only instance of a D&D party psycopath that I didn't immediately hate. I've had the flu this last week and I watched like thirty hours of their special streams on the D&D twitch channel, between bouts of aggressive sweating. It kept me nourished.

Friends at the Table is apparently one of Griffin's favourites but I can't get into it. There's also Campaign and One Shot, which I haven't checked out yet but people say is pretty good.

The fact that Freezo is TREATED like the party psycho really helps. Them literally taking his spellbook from him was the best.

"I CAST WITCH BOLT"

"You don't have your book"

"GIMMIE THE BOOK SO I CAN FRY THIS GUY"

"...This conversation's all taking place in character."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sexpig by night posted:

The fact that Freezo is TREATED like the party psycho really helps. Them literally taking his spellbook from him was the best.

"I CAST WITCH BOLT"

Well you sold me on it, this reminds me of the all time best jenkins goof. I'll be listening to this next time I play video games.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

sexpig by night posted:

"I CAST WITCH BOLT"

The high point of this is when Freezo's player himself says "You're telling Freezo to not murder a child he hasn't even met yet. Why do you still hang out with this guy?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which one is this freezo pod? The guy who laid out the quote quoted a post that mentioned three podcasts

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Which one is this freezo pod? The guy who laid out the quote quoted a post that mentioned three podcasts

Freezo is a warlock on Dragon Friends. He's played by prolific serial killer Michael Hing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Critical Role is good but long.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ojjeorago posted:

Critical Role is good but long.
It’s effectively rebooting starting this week, if you want to try to get into it without needing to watch/listen to hundreds of hours of video/podcast

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Dragon Friends, which has its own thread

JT Jag posted:

It’s effectively rebooting starting this week, if you want to try to get into it without needing to watch/listen to hundreds of hours of video/podcast

Are there any plans to make episodes more digestible? A D&D podcast run by professional actors sounds promising, but four hour long episodes is just too much.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

inthesto posted:

Dragon Friends, which has its own thread

Are there any plans to make episodes more digestible? A D&D podcast run by professional actors sounds promising, but four hour long episodes is just too much.

yea Critical Role seems great, I love the people in it and the fans seem passionate and all but boy even with a reboot do I rarely have the time to watch a 4 hour episode.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I might be interested in trying this, couldn't get into Critical Role original

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'll recommend Campaign, which is a Star Wars game played by a couple of professional improv types that is routinely very funny. Just don't expect the plot to move along at the pace that TAZ does, they sideline that for bits most of the time.

There is Friends at the Table too. They're probably the most thoughtful and interesting group out there, but sometimes they spend way too long lingering on the serious stuff and forget to actually be entertaining. They have funny bits and can do good jokes, but those come in short bursts, broken up by longer segments of serious roleplay. Also they put out some long loving episodes. I wish they would take the time to edit them down to the hour or so that TAZ gets down to on average.

Role Playing Public Radio is great for games that don't get a lot of play. They rarely play D&D and instead focus on things like Delta Green and right now have a long-running Fate game with a superhero theme that has been a lot of fun. Their sound quality is iffy as they're just a bunch of people crowding around a single mic and they don't make any efforts to edit out stuff, and they also post 4+ hour podcasts too. But they're one of the best places to hear examples of how to run stuff like a horror game, and their knowledge of the game systems and world they take place in is top-notch. They also run a game called Red Markets, which was designed by one of the podcasters and is a zombie game centered around "economic horror" and is quite a fun listen.

The Play Better Podcast is a smaller show that usually does short 3-4 episode arcs of all sorts of games, with a few long-running D&D 5e campaigns in there as well. They have top-notch sound quality and are all actors of some description, but they tend to get off on joke tangents and bits and sometimes the game gets sidelined. They do edit though, and stick to 1 hour~ episodes so they're not wasting your time.

I've just started listening to the NeoScum podcast, which is a Shadowrun game that has a loose association with the Campaign/OneShot people. Pretty entertaining people with fun characters and an 80s feel to the music and world, plus a pretty juvenile sense of humor. Overall I like them a lot, but I'm not too far in so far.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I’ve said it before, but just because you’re an adventure zone fan doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll actually like other rpg podcasts because the astronomical success of the show is related to it mostly not being actual rpg gameplay most of the time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

inferis posted:

I’ve said it before, but just because you’re an adventure zone fan doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll actually like other rpg podcasts because the astronomical success of the show is related to it mostly not being actual rpg gameplay most of the time.

cool, i'm glad you're here to share this knowledge

adventure zone is definitely "astronomically successful" because it doesn't sound like a normal RPG podcast, and not because it got latched on to by a certain subset of insane fandom weirdos

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

inferis posted:

ok

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the adventure zone is definitely the only successful RPG based podcast what no Matt Mercer get out of here you're ruining my point nooooooo

Serf
May 5, 2011

is there a podcast version of Critical Role? i checked a few months ago and no dice. i get most of my podcast listening done at work, where i can have an earbud but videos aren't really a thing. the visual aspect isn't that important to me. i'd love to listen to the Actual Play games as well, but they only stream/youtube them

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Serf posted:

is there a podcast version of Critical Role? i checked a few months ago and no dice. i get most of my podcast listening done at work, where i can have an earbud but videos aren't really a thing. the visual aspect isn't that important to me. i'd love to listen to the Actual Play games as well, but they only stream/youtube them

They put most of the first season in podcast form here.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

What are some other good D&D or RPG podcasts? I'll keep listeningi to TAZ, but I could use something to scratch that itch.

I enjoyed early-on episodes of Nerd Poker with Brian Posehn, but after they lost their original DM, they gave the job to Blaine Capatch, who was notoriously the most apt to derail things, slow down the story, or simply stop playing the game to make jokes about TV production. Funny dude, but not fun to listen to DM a game where he seemed to have absolutely no loving idea where the story was going and kept pitting them against incredibly difficult fights and endless NPCs who were all immediately hostile. Also, upon that reboot, they basically pushed out one of their best role players by all just being stupidly violent morons, until she couldn't think of any logical reason why her characters wouldn't have just fled some night after they made camp.

I did like, though, that people just loving died in that game, and then the IRL person would come back and play a new interloper, so it allowed someone to be reckless and just fuckin' die or to play two very different characters back to back.

Things I listen to on a regular basis are Six Feats Under (they do a bunch of indie RPGs and are currently doing campaigns of Fellowship and Mouse Guard) and the shadowcaster's network of shadowrun podcasts (although that's a mix of informative podcasts, actual play, and various lore/drama podcasts).

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://twitter.com/MBMBaM/status/950384332337754112

Cold season sucks

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should throw up the Atlanta episode.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should throw up the Atlanta episode.

I bet they're doing plenty of throwing up already ha ha haaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I bet they're doing plenty of throwing up already ha ha haaaa

TRAVIS!