Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

At this point I've started thinking about it the way that sportscasters talk about season-wide stats:

"You know Jim, win or lose here, I think it's important to remember that only three teams in history have ever ended a season with a winning record after taking a lawsuit in the first three games."

"That's right, Bob, and ya know, two of those three were the Dolphins, in '73 and '74 - their powerhouse offense really pulled them out of that early season slump, and I'm just not sure Chris Roberts has the leadership or the skill to really put that ball downfield the rest of the season and put this lawsuit behind him."

Well at least CIG wont have to worry about repeating the legacy of the Browns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mostly due to hiring practices.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

At this point I've started thinking about it the way that sportscasters talk about season-wide stats:

"You know Jim, win or lose here, I think it's important to remember that only three teams in history have ever ended a season with a winning record after taking a lawsuit in the first three games."

"That's right, Bob, and ya know, two of those three were the Dolphins, in '73 and '74 - their powerhouse offense really pulled them out of that early season slump, and I'm just not sure Chris Roberts has the leadership or the skill to really put that ball downfield the rest of the season and put this lawsuit behind him."

:laffo::laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

As great as space court is, I kind of miss the old days when every week Crobbles would promise poo poo about hunting procedurally generated birds and serving drinks to passengers.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

drat Dirty Ape posted:

As great as space court is, I kind of miss the old days when every week Crobbles would promise poo poo about hunting procedurally generated birds and serving drinks to passengers.

Can you imagine the meeting when they had to sit him down and tell him he can't do anymore 10 for the chairman ?
I'm betting a lot of reverse psychology being used to make him think it was his idea.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

PhallicPhalanges posted:

How dare people not interpret this exactly as DS prescribes!

I wonder if people are intent on doing so?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, this crossed my mind as well. However, since all contracts are based on intent, and given that the license to use CryEngine in "GAME" was already defined elsewhere, even the above interpretation doesn't hold up.

Yeah, it's hilarious. Which is why I can't wait to read the judge's ruling on the MtD because my guess is she will be going "WTF IS THIS poo poo?!?!"

Yup. That's why if/when the MtD fails, it would send a clear signal that the case has merits and can go forward. If the judge agrees with CIG that they can switch or use another engine without repercussions, then the case if over. But that's just not gonna happen because, well, the contract wasn't even terminated - and it can't be under normal circumstances.

DS intent of proving he is exclusively right.

So are you going to answer the call (2018tm) and tell us about the next on to drop?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

D_Smart posted:

I know it's a brain-teaser for some people who aren't used to contracts and contract law. That's why we have lawyers and judges. This isn't going to be hard at all because it's going to come down to INTENT.

Even by your explanation above, it is clear that the terms "non-exclusively" and "exclusively" are applicable to each instance where used.

2.1.1: If this said "exclusively", it would alter the intent. That being only CIG would be allowed to, for example, "extend and/or enhance CryEngine"

2.1.2: If this said "non-exclusively", it would alter the intent. That being CIG and others would be allowed to, for example, "embed CryEngine in the Game"

2.1.3: If this said "non-exclusively", it would alter the intent. That being CIG and others would be allowed to, for example, "license, public and exploit the Game"

I covered this in my missive yesterday

https://thelawdictionary.org/exclusive-right/

I know you're dismissing my posts out of hand, but I'd actually like to get your reasoning on this.

You're saying that if 2.1.2 were to say it was "non-exclusively", it would be that CIG and others (not only CIG as in your 2.1.1 example) would be allowed to embed CryEngine in the game. But if it said "exclusively" it means not that "only CIG" may embed CryEngine in the game, but "CIG must" embed CryEngine in the game. Isn't that changing the relationship of the exclusivity just by inverting it?

So taking the original example:
2.1.2: "non-exclusively" = That being CIG and others would be allowed to, for example, "embed CryEngine in the Game"

Would the inverse not be as per the other examples:
2.1.2: "exclusively" = That being only CIG would be allowed to, for example, "embed CryEngine in the Game"

not:
2.1.2: "exclusively" = That being the CIG must "embed CryEngine in the Game"

Also the law dictionary example you linked of exclusive right seems to support the "only CIG definition". If we insert that over the exclusivity we get:
"...Crytek grants to Licensee a world-wide, license only to [the right or privilege that can only be used by the person who it is granted to] embed CryEngine in the Game and develop the Game which right shall be sub-licensable pursuant to Sec. 2.6"

That would really sound to me like they are saying only CIG can put CryEngine in the game, and you need (as per 2.6) CryTek's written permission to let anyone else work on the game. It's a right being granted to CIG (the Licensee), and only CIG can use that right. I would assume this would be to protect their code from anyone who might steal it or whatever. If CIG could let anyone work on Star Citizen, then people who hadn't signed the NDA and Terms and Conditions with CryTek could go nuts.

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm enjoying the Star Citizen train wreck as much as everyone else here. This law suit is a perfect example of whoever loses, we win. But I'd like to actually understand why that section is such a slam dunk.

Total aside, am I the first to notice the "First Public Release" conditions in 1.5? Half a million alpha or beta players, game being released as non-beta (does a pre-alpha qualify?), or July 31, 2015, whichever is sooner. Star Citizen is out you guys, we all missed it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

intardnation posted:

I wonder if people are intent on doing so?

Have you been reading the thread? It's several people posting their opinion, getting called names for not interpreting it in a very narrow specific way.

What a lot of people here forget this is going to be interpreted and decided by 12 people with high school diplomas or GED's.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That reads more confrontational than I intended.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Post isn't edit. Either.
Distracted watching real football.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lladre posted:

Have you been reading the thread? It's several people posting their opinion, getting called names for not interpreting it in a very narrow specific way.

What a lot of people here forget this is going to be interpreted and decided by 12 people with high school diplomas or GED's.

First it has to be interpreted by a judge who may think the contract is so poorly written that there is no point of a trial.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The judge just needs to read their Twitter feed then.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IANAL, and I didn't actually read the legal documents because :effort:, and thus I feel the need to tell you my detailed analysis of the situation:

Star Citizen is bad
Ben is fat
Dancy cat is angry

and whatever happens next, I am quite sure Derek called it

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Martman posted:

Who is attempting to force someone to use a right?

My point was just that 2.1.2 refers to the embedding of CryEngine into the game as a right of the Licensee (CIG) that can be sub-licensed subject to conditions. If you read the embedding of CryEngine into the game as a condition, something that CIG are obliged or forced to do, then it's not really a right anymore.

Again, not a lawyer, so maybe there are legal rights that are conditions or penalties.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If Crytek loses, Star Citizen comes out

... let's not get ahead of ourselves :v

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Beet Wagon posted:

maybe nancy grace can interview ben or the man himself for court tv?

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
Since the Lumberyard Engine and CryEngine it's based off is similar in almost every way, does anyone know if there's any copyright, comments, notes etc. in any of the CryEngine source code?

If so, are these present in the Lumberyard source code?

My train of thought is, that if e.g. 95% of the Lumberyard source code is identical to CryTek, and there's still some "Copyright CryTek" etc. present in the source code, will this be an argument against CIG that they're not using Lumberyard?

Also, as far as I remember watching BugSmashers, the editor etc. which they show on screen is still called "Cry"-something. Would it show that if they're using Lumberyard?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Fangrim posted:

Since the Lumberyard Engine and CryEngine it's based off is similar in almost every way, does anyone know if there's any copyright, comments, notes etc. in any of the CryEngine source code?

My train of thought is, that if e.g. 95% of the Lumberyard source code is identical to CryTek, and there's still some "Copyright CryTek" etc. present in the source code, will this be an argument against CIG that they're not using Lumberyard?

Also, as far as I remember watching BugSmashers, the editor etc. which they show on screen is still called "Cry"-something. Would it show that if they're using Lumberyard?

Yes it is all over the place.

https://github.com/aws/lumberyard/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=crytek

So when you see Bugsmashers code with CryTek comments it doesn't prove anything for sure.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fangrim posted:

Bug smashers has shown many instances of CryTek copyright notices in the current code base, up to just a few weeks before the lawsuit was filed.

e:fb

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just because Amazon bought it, the copyright still belongs to crytek.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lladre posted:

Just because Amazon bought it, the copyright still belongs to crytek.

It depends what they bought. It wasn't just a license as far as I'm aware, they bought complete rights to the code which would include copyrights.

Amazon clearly has the right to copy and distribute this code without written permission from Crytek, as stated in the copyright notices so they are no longer valid. I imagine they would only have been left in out of laziness.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Gorilla channel! :yaycloud:

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Lladre posted:

And irrespective of that, one of the things you learn very quickly when dealing with the law at the sharp end, is that it is relatively easy for an intelligent, logical layperson to interpret the law as it is written down and another to reconsile that with real world experience of how it is actually interpreted on the day in court or by llegal professionals themselves.

In other words ...all sorts of poo poo goes on when matters get into the legal system and the application of the law is a lot more nuanced and fluid than one might expect.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I ANAL

Furthermore...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thread's moving so fast I can't remember where I saw it, so I'll ask: did I read that the contract in question was drawn up by Ortwin who was working for Crytek at the time?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

Same. I would like someone to fill in this well that so many people are pouring their poo poo.

On an unrelated note I do feel that this event will be the whipping boy for any future misfortune or hiccup, regardless of the outcome of the case. A recurring point of amusement was who was going to take the fall in the event that Christ himself didn't descend from heaven to make the pixel green and save Star Citizen. Much of the speculation revolved around the core idea that it would be impossible to pin the blame on Chris and Co. without admitting the fullness to which one was suckered in by the glamour and urgent hand waving. This lawsuit and all of the possible issues one could pin on it, from decreased confidence to theorycrafting about closed doors deals that hamstrung the project, is an amazing standin.

It'll still be an argument about greed destroying Star Citizen. But not on the part of its creators and people who made every decision along the way.

I think it's come up already, but I would not be surprised in the least bit if this whole thing was intentional on the part of cig for this very reason. They get to cut and run while maintaining credibility.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
It may have been in Ortwin's game plan.
The Robert's although seem incapable of planning on coming out of this good or bad (it will always be bad) with some money socked away.
If rumors are true they have been leasing their home as well as their cars!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Thoatse posted:

I think it's come up already, but I would not be surprised in the least bit if this whole thing was intentional on the part of cig for this very reason. They get to cut and run while maintaining credibility.

The kill switch theory is my favorite.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Sunswipe posted:

Thread's moving so fast I can't remember where I saw it, so I'll ask: did I read that the contract in question was drawn up by Ortwin who was working for Crytek at the time?

He may have been involved in the original template that Crytek were using with all parties that the CIG contract was based on. Skadden tried so say that Ortwin never resolved any conflict of interest. You'd have to assume they double checked with Crytek who must have told them that there was no waiver. Then the CIG lawyers / Ortwin did produce some signed waiver that showed it was resolved. That looks like a bit of an omnishambles from Crytek/Skadden.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

Virtual Captain posted:

Yes it is all over the place.

https://github.com/aws/lumberyard/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=crytek

So when you see Bugsmashers code with CryTek comments it doesn't prove anything for sure.

Chalks posted:

Bug smashers has shown many instances of CryTek copyright notices in the current code base, up to just a few weeks before the lawsuit was filed.

e:fb

Cool!

I wonder how that will hold up in court then.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Bait and kill switch development is extremely Star Citizen

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
If 2.1.2 in this GLA states that CIG must exclusively use CryEngine for Star Citizen...

Is this language different in CryTek GLAs with other companies? And are GLAs with other engines worded the same?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

shrach posted:

He may have been involved in the original template that Crytek were using with all parties that the CIG contract was based on. Skadden tried so say that Ortwin never resolved any conflict of interest. You'd have to assume they double checked with Crytek who must have told them that there was no waiver. Then the CIG lawyers / Ortwin did produce some signed waiver that showed it was resolved. That looks like a bit of an omnishambles from Crytek/Skadden.

I really doubt they showed off a waiver before replying. It would be a nice selling point for their side of the argument.
Hmm then again, incompetence and occam's razor....

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Isn't there someplace in the game where there is a book on the table and one of pages looks like engine source code?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bootcha posted:

If 2.1.2 in this GLA states that CIG must exclusively use CryEngine for Star Citizen...

Is this language different in CryTek GLAs with other companies? And are GLAs with other engines worded the same?

Ask the guy who allegedly has one.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Lladre posted:

I really doubt they showed off a waiver before replying. It would be a nice selling point for their side of the argument.
Hmm then again, incompetence and occam's razor....

That's literally what Goldman's signed declaration is saying. He told all this to Skadden in phonecalls and meetings and so Skadden amended their complaint, but they didn't amend the allegations against Ortwin enough for their liking among all the other complaints.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bootcha posted:

This is an excellent question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

shrach posted:

It's all very confusing to my non-legal mind. Just seems like a massive coinkie-dink that Ortwin was involved in crafting a badly-written contract, then is later working for a company who could benefit from the confusion. But like I said, not a lawyer, don't like legal TV dramas, kinda hoping this all ends with a helicopter battle. That I can understand.