Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CannonFodder posted:

Are they in a "Right to fire anyone at any time as long as they find a good excuse" state?

It's called "at will employment" and should not be confused with "right to work." AWE means you can be fired for anything at anytime. Republicans sold this concept with the notion that this frees up both employers and employees so they aren't bound to a contract they don't want, but the reality is employee side was already at will and this just stripped worker protections.

Right to work is union busting and means that you cannot be forced to pay union dues. Once again sold with a disingenuous notion that unions are robbing you and people should be able to opt out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A ton of union workers in my work group working the cushiest, most protected jobs I have ever seen believe this tripe. America is dying of dumb.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I don't mind the way unions work in the building trades. It offers a good way to add skilled labor when you need it without having to carry a full-time employee on permanent payroll, while at the same time permitting you to just send a cancerous individual back to the union hall if they suck.

The optimal way is to keep the best of the best on payroll without ever laying them off, but it sure is nice to have the ability to add and subtract labor that has a baseline set of skills whenever you need to.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Shangri-Law School posted:

Well that sucks. I hope that next time they do better. Maybe you can help them!

I don't live in Wisconsin, but I did make more trips there during the election than Hillary!

The Wisconsin Democrats are horribly run. When Walker had his recall election they put up the same guy he had beaten to become governor in the first place.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Sir your fired

https://twitter.com/freddurst/status/950039581583335424

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I don't mind the way unions work in the building trades. It offers a good way to add skilled labor when you need it without having to carry a full-time employee on permanent payroll, while at the same time permitting you to just send a cancerous individual back to the union hall if they suck.

The optimal way is to keep the best of the best on payroll without ever laying them off, but it sure is nice to have the ability to add and subtract labor that has a baseline set of skills whenever you need to.

Plus for us in nuclear, it’s a good way to ensure you’re only allowing certified labor on, which meets all our federal requirements without having to do crazy background checks on everyone who touches our soil. Basically someone to sue.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm up for this promotion that would put me on night shift permanently, but give me 4-10s and a 15k promotion. I'm thinking of turning it down because it's non union. Being a union member is the best.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Plus for us in nuclear, it’s a good way to ensure you’re only allowing certified labor on, which meets all our federal requirements without having to do crazy background checks on everyone who touches our soil. Basically someone to sue.

Yeah, the way trade unions handle certification requirements independently from their signatory employers is really clever and incredibly useful. OHSA 30, lead and heavy metal blood testing, pre-approved background checks for schools, nuke plants, various other secure government sites are enormous hassles that I'm glad are already handled for me.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm up for this promotion that would put me on night shift permanently, but give me 4-10s and a 15k promotion. I'm thinking of turning it down because it's non union. Being a union member is the best.

I literally feel proud that I earned Carpenters and Painters cards before my dad ever put me in a managerial position. It feels fundamental to my identity lol

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Be proud. Those are real accomplishments that you earned within the framework of your community. It's not a stretch to say that my union has made me a better person.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
tell 'em fred :unsmith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-el-CuV1Je8

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

lol all the people asking for Tabs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oh yeah, what we really need in this country is stronger and more unions, but :lol: at ever getting the narrative changed back to "unions = good" after the century of character assassination and knee capping by conservatives.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think a lifetime of being shat upon by corporate master has instilled an openness to unions among millennials. Though there is that unreachable group of older folks. For some reason voting for Ronald Reagan led to a lifetime of doing whatever it takes to rationalize that decision.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Tbf, the unions did a good job of knee-capping themselves between the mafia and Teamsters collusion, their inflexibility during the collapse of the steel industry, their entitled behavior in the auto industry, the air traffic controllers' hubris in defying Reagan at the apex of his p olitical power, and the their continued lovely optics in heavy road construction.

Still not deserving of the loathing they get from conservatives tho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Tbf, the unions did a good job of knee-capping themselves between the mafia and Teamsters collusion, their inflexibility during the collapse of the steel industry, their entitled behavior in the auto industry, the air traffic controllers' hubris in defying Reagan at the apex of his p olitical power, and the their continued lovely optics in heavy road construction.

Still not deserving of the loathing they get from conservatives tho

Well, that and police "unions" that aren't unions at all. You're definitely right that unions haven't done themselves favors, but even still, they're better than not having one at all.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Unions, like many organizations, have a lifecycle and are the most valuable early on. Later in their life cycle they run into a lot more problems because they have to always be pushing for more and those in charge are ever more disconnected from the regular worker.

Basically factories in the south desperately need unions and Detroit unions probably need to refresh.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I gave up my remote work option (1x a week only) and talked my boss into letting me do 4-10 for an office job. Best thing to ever happen for my work-life balance. The longer weekend helps so much for getting personal projects done and actually relaxing to some video games all for the cost of sitting at a desk 2 more hours.

Hell I'd probably do a 3x12 if I had less responsibilities and stupid meetings

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Unions are starting to get into Silicon Valley and the dumbass tech workers insist they don't need them.

Bitch you work like 70 hours a week, salaried, and get bullied into not taking your vacation time.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the reddit/hn "we need a free market union" discussions own

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ex https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13564440

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
It's funny talking to overseas developers who idolize the salaries in SV and seeing their face slowly change to sheer horror when you explain the conditions, rent and US student loan + healthcare

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Wait... Is this loving Like Bizkit Fred Durst?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Master Stur posted:

I gave up my remote work option (1x a week only) and talked my boss into letting me do 4-10 for an office job. Best thing to ever happen for my work-life balance. The longer weekend helps so much for getting personal projects done and actually relaxing to some video games all for the cost of sitting at a desk 2 more hours.

Hell I'd probably do a 3x12 if I had less responsibilities and stupid meetings

Can agree. I've worked 4-10s for 8 out of the last 10 years, and while you poor saps get up tomorrow and trudge to work, I get to sleep in and relax. And on Friday, jeans. Muahahahahaha.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I feel like I get nothing done during the week with 4-10's though

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Realistically, if you count time spent actually working, I maybe work like 3-4s most weeks.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh yeah, what we really need in this country is stronger and more unions, but :lol: at ever getting the narrative changed back to "unions = good" after the century of character assassination and knee capping by conservatives.

It's been a slow bleed-out ever since Taft-Hartley, and I guess the earlier strategic decision of unions to focus entirely on relations with employers rather than autonomous worker organization. Also, the south never successfully unionized. Yay racism. :(

Hot Diggity! posted:

I don't live in Wisconsin, but I did make more trips there during the election than Hillary!

The Wisconsin Democrats are horribly run. When Walker had his recall election they put up the same guy he had beaten to become governor in the first place.

'Sup, fellow Midwesterner-who-left-home-state-and-watched-it-fall-to-Trump. :smith:

Wherever you are, I hope you're involved.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

See you in 7 hours friend.

And it has beans idc idc dont @ me.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
why did you poop into your crockpot

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

is that tofu

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Yeah its really watery. To be fair I've never made chili before so I assumed that cooks off.

And its 2.5 lbs of stew beef.

Did I do a bad oh no :ohdear:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just crack the lid on the crock pot and it'll steam off some liquid. Did you drain the fat after you browned the meat? If not you'll wanna spoon some of that fat off the top before you eat it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just crack the lid on the crock pot and it'll steam off some liquid. Did you drain the fat after you browned the meat? If not you'll wanna spoon some of that fat off the top before you eat it.

The recipe had me cook the onions and garlic in the fat so I'll skim this bitch. I'llcrack it too. Thanks!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Don't forget to taste and season every few hours. Good luck and God speed.

(don't add salt until the end)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im making ribs on the grill. i found some hot sauce that uses some kind of vinegar or peppers i can't place that has a real nice smoky hint and some rosemary garlic pepper and paprika

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm taking down the Christmas tree while warching the game.

Taking Christmas apart is so depressing :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm making Ropa Vieja today, should be tasty

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Taking apart Christmas is great. New year, renewal, fresh start! I don't mind it so much and it's a nice symbolic close on the previous year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

lol Wikileaks posted a PDF of Fire and Fury