Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They don't say how many trials they ran. 10% is a lot but it could still be random chance.

I've been feeling this way about a lot of benchmarking websites lately. I wish they'd do lots of runs and report confidence intervals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I’m actually a little disappointed that ASUS hasn’t provided a BIOS update for my Maximus VII Gene yet. I know Z97 is 3-4 years old at this point but still.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's a clear, obvious, provable ~30% hit for iops with no roadmap for a better solution. The charts are rolling in in this very thread. This is a giant problem for datacenters.

Do you own a lot of intel stock or something?
:ohdear: It's almost as if he's not capable of arguing in good faith, and you should just put him on ignore.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

NTRabbit posted:

Interesting to categorise reaction to a major security flaw, criminal activity from the CEO, and a major loss of function due to the fix patch as a "rage fit", but whatever you need to feel good about your pom poms I guess

Your CPU lasted you nine years. You are mad about this. So you’re going to buy a CPU that already has lower FPS in your game than Intel’s. Because that’ll show them for making a CPU you used for nine years instead of ten.

I mean, poo poo happens in CPUs, and AMD is intentionally not being TOO cocky about this because for all they know the next catastrophic flaw to be found could be theirs. Remember the old Pentium long division bug? Holding a grudge because a processor from 2008 gave out on you at the dawn of 2018 is like if I held a grudge against Ryzen for the lovely VIA BIOS on the K6-2 I used to play Quake II on.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Also ya don't gotta get rid of it, just don't put it online :P

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I’m actually a little disappointed that ASUS hasn’t provided a BIOS update for my Maximus VII Gene yet. I know Z97 is 3-4 years old at this point but still.

I have the same motherboard. I'm not holding much hope seeing as the last BIOS was issued in November 2015. Time for me to move on up to Coffee Lake maybe.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is a motherboard patch needed even if you have the Windows update? I have serious doubts my Z77 and H87 boards would ever see one, I assume the fix is going to be entirely through software.

edit: Here's the list of motherboards Asus cares about.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel+Vega official specs:

The Vega 24 parts are 100w package TDP. Vega 20 are 65w TDP. Mostly targeting eSports style games and low end VR in prebuilt thin and light desktops.

As a proof of concept, Intel is also launching a high performance NUC.

You can look at the rest of the slides here: https://videocardz.com/74640/intel-8th-gen-core-with-radeon-rx-vega-gpu-presentation-leaked

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The funny thing is, apart from shader cores those chips have the same amount of frontend/backend as the big Vega 64 chips, and they have proportionately more memory bandwidth per core than 580 (plus Vega's improved delta compression). They'll probably hit what, close to 570 performance?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 8, 2018

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Kinda funny they don't mention AMD even once in that presentation.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Paul MaudDib posted:

The funny thing is, apart from shader cores those chips have the same amount of frontend/backend as the big Vega 64 chips, and they have proportionately more memory bandwidth per core than 580 (plus Vega's improved delta compression). They'll probably hit what, close to 570 performance?

Intel is saying better than 1060 Max-Q performance (which is the notebook 1060 but afaik extremely close to desktop 1060). So yeah, 570 range basically.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

Intel+Vega official specs:

The Vega 24 parts are 100w package TDP. Vega 20 are 65w TDP. Mostly targeting eSports style games and low end VR in prebuilt thin and light desktops.

As a proof of concept, Intel is also launching a high performance NUC.

You can look at the rest of the slides here: https://videocardz.com/74640/intel-8th-gen-core-with-radeon-rx-vega-gpu-presentation-leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTKgvPUXN8

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

drat those prices. I guess not that surprising but $999 for the 100watt without any ram or storage, and with only space for M.2 slots - yikes

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

drat those prices. I guess not that surprising but $999 for the 100watt without any ram or storage, and with only space for M.2 slots - yikes

Is not a lot for what you get though. The total bill will be around $1500 for a full computer, a quite capable one at that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You're paying a premium for the size. A 570-equivalent GPU isn't bad by most people's standards, especially in a size you could strap to the back of a monitor if you wanted.

I mean, these chips aren't aimed at "normal" desktop users. The NUC-styled ones are absolutely gonna sell like hotcakes to Asian cafes, and they'll make a solid entry into the mid-tier gaming laptop market if the resultant prices are reasonable.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

....is eve even exposed to side channel attacks?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Enjoy playing your crappily optimised games on worst processors imaginable for them!

Ryzen being not quite as good as Intel in games doesn't make it "the worst processors imaginable" that's more than a little bit hyperbolic.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrDork posted:

You're paying a premium for the size. A 570-equivalent GPU isn't bad by most people's standards, especially in a size you could strap to the back of a monitor if you wanted.

I mean, these chips aren't aimed at "normal" desktop users. The NUC-styled ones are absolutely gonna sell like hotcakes to Asian cafes, and they'll make a solid entry into the mid-tier gaming laptop market if the resultant prices are reasonable.

Nah, Asian gaming LAN cafes wouldn't give two shits about a $1000 NUC when they can furnish 3 to 4 used Intel boxes with 750 Tis and the like to PUBG with at the same price.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Potato Salad posted:

....is eve even exposed to side channel attacks?

There's from their rest api server iirc

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If an XPS 15 hits with a Freesync panel and the Intel/Vega SoC, I may lose it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

If an XPS 15 hits with a Freesync panel and the Intel/Vega SoC, I may lose it.

50-60 Hz sync range, of course

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

50-60 Hz sync range, of course

Do you think if we buy together we'll get a bulk discount on monkey paws?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Ryzen being not quite as good as Intel in games doesn't make it "the worst processors imaginable" that's more than a little bit hyperbolic.

That engine specifically, it's pegged by single core performance. There are games where Ryzen does really well, but.those are minority.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That engine specifically, it's pegged by single core performance. There are games where Ryzen does really well, but.those are minority.

A 7700K does worse in games than an 8700K. Doesn't mean it's a bad processor that should be replaced, nor that if someone could get a 7700K for a great price vs. the 8700K, that they shouldn't take it. The same goes for Ryzen.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ryzen is only good for cinebench. There I said it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SourKraut posted:

A 7700K does worse in games than an 8700K. Doesn't mean it's a bad processor that should be replaced, nor that if someone could get a 7700K for a great price vs. the 8700K, that they shouldn't take it. The same goes for Ryzen.

That poster specifically plays two very poorly optimised games running an ancient engine unable to take advantage of multicore processing, which would make last couple generations of Intel CPUs of comparable MSRP better than Ryzens for that specific purpose, as Ryzens as a line of product on the whole do not meaningfully prioritize single thread performance. What's your point, again?

E: Really confused why you think I support upgrading from 7700K to 8700K. Or not buying it if that's the best option you can afford.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 8, 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am a nerdy motherfucker who lives and breathes this stuff, but to be perfectly honest, if you didn’t let me do anything but sit down in front of two black boxes with the latest Intel/AMD guts (not knowing which is which), and all the game settings were done for me so I couldn’t gently caress around with optimizing AA or 30 other settings, and I could just play the game with some minimum FPS? I probably wouldn’t give a poo poo.

Sometimes the burden of knowledge sucks, when you’re tweaking and benchmarking and quantifying performance, versus just enjoying the thing you got.

gently caress, did I just describe consoles? Well, with a keyboard and mouse...

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Vegas is apparently getting a 7nm respin and Navi is delayed? Another year of crap graphics.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
What's with the people ITT waiting for a bios update? Doesn't windows deliver microcode updates? My MSI X99 Board with 5820k doesn't have any BIOS update. So I just added the update via intel kernel microcode thing/the appropriate file/initrd. Doesn't Win10 do that?

My absolutely unscientific, feel-based benchmarking by using my free holiday week to play videogames (in a VM with GPU passthrough) and doing compiling on that thing came to the result that it didn't affect anything noticeably. My personal opinion concluding this highly scientific performance benchmark is that I'm glad that I'm not a professional computer toucher in a datacenter.

I use a cheap, slow AMD APU for browsing anyways, mostly because the power consumption of the 5820k while doing simple general computer stuff is ludicrous.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Police Automaton posted:

What's with the people ITT waiting for a bios update? Doesn't windows deliver microcode updates? My MSI X99 Board with 5820k doesn't have any BIOS update. So I just added the update via intel kernel microcode thing/the appropriate file/initrd. Doesn't Win10 do that?

Not everyone gets all the updates through Windows update alone. Microsoft had published steps to check the extent of coverage you have received through the recent update.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What's your point, again?

E: Really confused why you think I support upgrading from 7700K to 8700K. Or not buying it if that's the best option you can afford.
My point was that Ryzen’s single threaded performance isn’t Bulldozer-levels of behind such that anyone should be criticizing someone for buying one. Is it behind Skylake/Coffeelake typically? Yeah. Is it going to make a difference in real world gaming usage? Probably not. If that’s what they could afford, don’t criticize it. Not everyone has a high-paying job/rich parents/money trees.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's just triggered by the (admittedly silly) response to a first gen Core I series CPU losing its usability being to purchase a Ryzen.

Ryzen is fine, but as a kneejerk reaction it sounds a little like fanboyism.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SourKraut posted:

My point was that Ryzen’s single threaded performance isn’t Bulldozer-levels of behind such that anyone should be criticizing someone for buying one. Is it behind Skylake/Coffeelake typically? Yeah. Is it going to make a difference in real world gaming usage? Probably not. If that’s what they could afford, don’t criticize it. Not everyone has a high-paying job/rich parents/money trees.

I'm not criticising people for being able or unable to afford XYZ. Neither am I saying that Ryzen will absolutely be unable to make do for that guy, especially after playing at 10-15 FPS. There just is a noticeable in real world gaming usage between Ryzens and i-series for games that do not make good use of multicore processing, so I see little reason for him to go for a Ryzen instead of a budget end Intel, especially in the light of upcoming visual upgrade for World of Tanks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The real reason you don't buy a "budget end Intel" is because the motherboards for such a chip don't exist yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

The real reason you don't buy a "budget end Intel" is because the motherboards for such a chip don't exist yet.

That does not sound real.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SourKraut posted:

If that’s what they could afford, don’t criticize it. Not everyone has a high-paying job/rich parents/money trees.

The argument wasn't being made on a value prospect, though. And, frankly, even if you are trying to fit within a budget, and even if you assume that these mitigations are gonna hurt Intel CPU performance a little, you're still almost certainly better off picking up the Intel chip instead of AMD if your primary use is gaming, and absolutely if your chosen games are heavily single-thread limited. That's just how the chips stack up right now.

Jumping to AMD as a knee-jerk reaction to being pissed off over a bug-fix having performance consequences on decades-old CPUs is the proverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That does not sound real.

And yet it is. The only motherboard chipsets currently available for Coffee Lake are the Z370's. The usual cheaper B- and H- series motherboards may, in fact, never be released officially.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 8, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's not like ~$110 for Asrock basic tier Z370 isn't that expensive to begin with, considering you also get two M.2 slots and DDR4-2666+ support. History also tells us the H-boards aren't going to be that cheaper for the same feature set either.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, formally B/H boards do not exist.

Palladium posted:

It's not like ~$110 for Asrock basic tier Z370 isn't that expensive to begin with, considering you also get two M.2 slots and DDR4-2666+ support. History also tells us the H-boards aren't going to be that cheaper for the same feature set either.

This was my implication, more or less. I'm not sure that there's a sub-100 dollar board prospect as such, though I can understand an argument being made that same price point B/H boards may trade off features for quality.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

This is true if your criteria is "things called Coffee Lake." Like half of the Amazon top 10 CPU sellers are Kaby Lake or earlier, including lots of cheapo Pentiums destined for H110 boards. Considering the only difference between Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake is a process thats slightly cheaper for Intel to manufacture, most buyers don't seem concerned what the CPU's codename was.

DrDork posted:

The only motherboard chipsets currently available for Coffee Lake are the Z370's. The usual cheaper B- and H- series motherboards may, in fact, never be released officially.

I think its cosmically unlikely that Intel will kill chipsets they've already started sampling. I also think its cosmically unlikely they would kill a CPU refresh that makes their products cheaper to make, especially as 10nm continues to struggle. Meltdown has like no performance impact for these users anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
a guy gets a little miffed about how the bug affects his old intel cpu and threatens to replace it with an amd chip and lmao the goon batsignal goes up and a whole lot of dudes lose their poo poo over it. talk about meltdown.