Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You’re looking at things backwards: what kind of people would chose to import food from the other side of the galaxy rather than use their land for farming? Rich people.

That’s partly true. The taxes are unimportant, except that they are an insult to the Nemoidians.

The ‘diplomatic’ scenes establish that the Republic is human supremacist (i.e. white supremacist). The Nemoidians are the perpetual losers, even though they take pains to operate within the law, because the Republic has a monopoly on force and looks down on their kind. They are not ‘just evil’, but reacting to a long legacy of mistreatment. They aren’t nazis; they’re merchants. The war explodes out of these underlying tensions.

If they're so rich, there should be a ton of local cottage farms raising local-grown organic blue milk space-cows. Pick-your-own fizzleberry patches on the side.

You claim that they're merchants, but they're merchants backed up with an army. They're innocent in the same way the United Fruit Company is innocent. They're trying to set up a banana republic.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There is no such thing as innocent consumption under mercantilism.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm just listening through my TV speakers, gently caress you I'm not buying a drat stereo system

Same, but I guess I should get a sound bar or something. Though it's good to know why that's happening now.

quote:

There is no such thing as innocent consumption under mercantilism.

hey you're not sonic

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Vader never actually murdered guys on screen with a lightsaber. Ever.
Giving people ”what they want” is not actually a good idea.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They should film a live action version of that Vader comic, it's got plenty of lightsaber murder.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
No cus by doing that you are ruining the fantasy. It’s like showing all the shark murders in detail in jaws

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus it has the Bothan cyborg with six arms and a lightsaber in each.

Milky Moor posted:

I don't know what's wrong with my eyes because while I saw that Tarkin was CGI immediately, I still only see Leia as CGI because I know that Carrie Fisher isn't that young.

I was the same, Tarkin stood out immediately but Leia looked really good to me. I mean both were good but Tarkin's uniform/insignia were too plasticy and it made the effect much more noticeable to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why didn't they just have a real dude in a green man suit wearing a real imperial uniform and just digitally do the head?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are you guys being serious right now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlSn50_BePU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CountFosco posted:

If they're so rich, there should be a ton of local cottage farms raising local-grown organic blue milk space-cows. Pick-your-own fizzleberry patches on the side.

You claim that they're merchants, but they're merchants backed up with an army. They're innocent in the same way the United Fruit Company is innocent. They're trying to set up a banana republic.

Innocence has nothing to do with it. The conflict is a petty squabble between rich aristocratic aesthetes and some corporate assholes. Naboo looks like the kind of place where farming is outlawed because it would ruin the landscape. That’s why it’s ‘trivial’, and Quigon doesn’t give a gently caress.

Lucas simply blurs the line by making the corporation its own government/planet/race. The livelihood of the Nemoidian people is possibly at stake with this tax hike. It’s explicit, at the very least, that the Republic is actively working to screw them over.

It’s not an accident that both sides of the conflict look like Ming The Merciless.

Shiroc posted:

My favorite thing about the opening crawl to Episode 1 is that it starts with the words THE PHANTOM MENACE and everyone apparently assumed the details of the trade dispute were actually the most important thing to follow instead of them possibly being a misdirect due to some kind of other menace?

The bizarre thing is that people are complaining about the hallmarks of good writing. Lucas quickly establishes the basics of the conflict and then allows the particulars to be revealed gradually, as part of normal conversation:

“These Federation types are cowards. The negotiations will be short.”

In two lines, Lucas quickly establishes that Quigon is a racist and that he’s used to threatening people on behalf of the Republic. The terseness of his response shows that he has become disillusioned over the years. Quigon no longer believes in diplomacy as mediation; he knows he’s there to do violence. It instantly summarizes the Jedi’s role in the conflict.

By contrast, the dialogue in Episode 7 is atrocious:

“The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance, leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise. ... General, our strategy must now change.”

“The weapon. It is ready. I believe the time has come to use it. We shall destroy the government that supports the Resistance: the Republic. Without their friends to protect them, the Resistance will be vulnerable, and we will stop them before they reach Skywalker.”

This lengthy exchange, between Supreme Snoke and General Hux is pure exposition and narratively worthless. It tells us nothing about the characters and their motivations - except that Hux secretly values friendship as a form of safety?

Bizarrely, Snoke doesn’t seem to know what the Republic is. His single-minded objective is to prevent the creation of a currently-nonexistent organization called The New Jedi. He is, however, somewhat familiar with ”the weapon” (although not enough to know its level of completion). What was he building it for, if not to destroy the Republic?

This dialogue may imply that Snoke can see the future. But if that’s the case, why is he asking Hux for advice? What was their strategy originally?

We soon learn that Snoke is saying “eh sure”, when told that a trillion people are going to die - just because it will inconvenience a guy named Luke, and prevent him from rising New Jedis. What about other psychic people? Why are only Jedis dangerous?

By just dumping exposition about what’s going on, the story ends up more muddled, not less.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Same, but I guess I should get a sound bar or something. Though it's good to know why that's happening now.

I don't think that's exactly the issue. A 5.1 audio stream should be downmixed on TV speakers, it's not literally discarding the center and surround channels.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The war on the Great CGI Satan is an eternal, existential conflict. We don't let facts get in the way of defending Our Holy Immersion.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

homullus posted:

The war on the Great CGI Satan is an eternal, existential conflict. We don't let facts get in the way of defending Our Holy Immersion.

Do you seriously think the reason people didn't like zombie Tarkin was a bias against CGI in general

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Do you seriously think the reason people didn't like zombie Tarkin was a bias against CGI in general

No. Hilariously, people are biased against plastic - insisting ‘that it looks like CGI’.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
TLJ box office doom and gloom overreaction update. It has now passed 1.2 Billion at the worldwide box office, look for it to pass Fate of the Furious and Beauty and the Beast to become the top worldwide movie sometime in the next week or so. Still tracking for around 67% of TFA's final total.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Recreating Peter Cushings face like that was downright ghoulish.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yes? There's plenty of spots in Rogue One where they digitally light Tarkin's face differently from everything else in the shot and it makes the entire body look off. I thought it looked really good overall, just that while watching the movie I thought the effect worked better with Leia at the end.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
This time Frankenstein is the Monster!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

TLJ box office doom and gloom overreaction update. It has now passed 1.2 Billion at the worldwide box office, look for it to pass Fate of the Furious and Beauty and the Beast to become the top worldwide movie sometime in the next week or so. Still tracking for around 67% of TFA's final total.

It didn't do very well in China. I've read that it wasn't expected to, though. Is this true? I thought TFA and Rogue One both did well there.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Innocence has nothing to do with it. The conflict is a petty squabble between rich aristocratic aesthetes and some corporate assholes. Naboo looks like the kind of place where farming is outlawed because it would ruin the landscape. That’s why it’s ‘trivial’, and Quigon doesn’t give a gently caress.

Lucas simply blurs the line by making the corporation its own government/planet/race. The livelihood of the Nemoidian people is possibly at stake with this tax hike. It’s explicit, at the very least, that the Republic is actively working to screw them over.

*Choke* Excuse me? The livelihood of the Nemoidian people is at stake? They have an entire robot army on reserve that they apparently weren't planning to use that Sidious "made" them use. I conjecture that rich people would like having local food around, you conjecture that farming wouldn't exist because of NIMBY, I present to you the fact that locally-sourced food is a growing movement among the wealthy. This is not an existential threat to the Nemoidian people: if they don't like Naboo's new policies, there are a trillion other planets in the galaxy to trade with, performing a whole-planet blockade is dramatic overkill and while it may technically be "legal" it is most certainly unethical.

It’s not an accident that both sides of the conflict look like Ming The Merciless.

The bizarre thing is that people are complaining about the hallmarks of good writing. Lucas quickly establishes the basics of the conflict and then allows the particulars to be revealed gradually, as part of normal conversation:

“These Federation types are cowards. The negotiations will be short.”

In two lines, Lucas quickly establishes that Quigon is a racist and that he’s used to threatening people on behalf of the Republic. The terseness of his response shows that he has become disillusioned over the years. Quigon no longer believes in diplomacy as mediation; he knows he’s there to do violence. It instantly summarizes the Jedi’s role in the conflict.

Instead of fighting themselves, they employ robot goons to do the work for them. This is cowardice. He's talking about the Federation in particular, we don't know what his opinion of your average Nemoidian on the street is. Heck, he probably has a Nemoidian friend back on Coruscant. Your reading of his terseness as a prelude to violence is clear eisegesis: you want him to be a thug, but the Nemoidians are the actual aggressors, and he merely responds to their attempt on his life. You're mistaking his laconic quality for being an authoritarian. The negotiations should be short because the Nemoidians haven't a legal leg to stand on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It must be mentally exhausting to be a fan of this series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It’s worse that people who proport to be fans are revealing that they don’t understand three of the films on a really basic level

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s worse that people who proport to be fans are revealing that they don’t understand three of the films on a really basic level

The smug! I’m choking on it!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It didn't do very well in China. I've read that it wasn't expected to, though. Is this true? I thought TFA and Rogue One both did well there.

I believe it did $28M opening weekend in China, will probably finish with double that. It's been an uphill climb there for the series. Marvel and animated movies do okay there, but nothing too great. SW has done barely anything there yet. The Fast and the Furious and Transformers series seem to be the biggest US heavy hitters there. China seems to really like spectacles and huge Hollywood star lead action movies, whether they're good or not.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 7, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

I believe it did $28M opening weekend in China, will probably finish with double that. It's been an uphill climb there for the series. Marvel and animated movies do okay there, but nothing too great. SW has done barely anything there yet. The Fast and the Furious and Transformers series seem to be the biggest US heavy hitters there. China seems to really like spectacles and huge Hollywood star lead action movies, whether they're good or not.

Well, it's also worth considering that all of the last three Star Wars movies have traded heavily on nostalgia and Chinese movie audiences, for the most part, don't really have a whole lot of nostalgia for Star Wars.

I believe Coco of all movies was unexpectedly huge in China last year.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

exquisite tea posted:

I've stopped considering myself a Star Wars fan, now I'm just a fan of a few movies a few video games that all happen to have the same setting

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Waffles Inc. posted:

Film is a populist medium, it's for everyone. Even you, the smug.

It's time for Star Wars...to end.

Edit: I mean, if it's possible...if there's even an iota of possibility the dumbest person on the planet doesn't understand your dumb baby space fight movie...that's on the people making the movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SleepCousinDeath posted:

This time Frankenstein is the Monster!

A+ content.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lmbo everybody itt is so loving miserable

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Calibanibal posted:

lmbo everybody itt is so loving miserable

I'm not :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The important thing is that you enjoy the movie, regardless of what you enjoy it for.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Fake Peter Cushing reminded me of a Fallout 1 character but in a good way.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Fake Peter Cushing reminded me of a Fallout 1 character but in a good way.

Checks out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was caught by surprise and reacted emotionally to seeing a dead favorite actor for a few seconds before feeling rage that I had been manipulated by capitalists.

Also I had to see it in 3d and the muted colors helped sell the effect.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fandom is a specific way of interacting with art, a social ritual that unites the fans into a group, by using a media object or a brand as a sort of a totem and developing a mythology around it. It has very little to do with like or dislike, and often very little to do with the actual content of the art.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly it’s ruined the experience whenever I like something and then see what kind of people organize themselves as fans of it. I can’t fathom organizing any part of my identity around aesthetic experience or consumption, except maybe addiction if I got really into opium or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bongo Bill posted:

Fandom is a specific way of interacting with art, a social ritual that unites the fans into a group, by using a media object or a brand as a sort of a totem and developing a mythology around it. It has very little to do with like or dislike, and often very little to do with the actual content of the art.

Ahem (timestamped hilarious meltdown)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEzrw9B9ns&t=4490s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Another fact which bears repeating is: If seeing art makes you feel a particular way, your feelings are not wrong, but the words you use to attempt to describe the art to try to connect it to those feelings can definitely be wrong.