Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

ymgve posted:

9FHHD11927835F7A3P Master of Orion

This game turned out to be really fun. I never got into space 4x before. I tried civ awhile back and have civ 3 I got for free but they never did a thing for me. I was p burned out on games in general till I started playing this and Star Wars: Empire at War.

Haven't even got into the ship crafting system yet but it looks like it plays out a lot like Gratuitous Space Battles except that you can control it. That game was super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
New rescues from the corporate abyss: Night Dive rereleased Titanic: Adventure Out of Time (Dust: A Tale of the Wired West was by the same devs and publisher - to the Wishlist!), and retro cartridge manufacturers who've moved into digital game publishing, Piko Interactive, bought 60 titles from Atari last October and have started their rereleases with Legend Entertainment's Death Gate - a licensed title based on a book, even! Time to vote on every single one of their adventure games on the Wishlist.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 5, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BiggerJ posted:

New rescues from the corporate abyss: Night Dive rereleased Titanic: Adventure Out of Time (Dust: A Tale of the Wired West was by the same devs and publisher - to the Wishlist!), and retro cartridge manufacturers have moved into digital game publishing Piko Interactive bought 60 titles from Atari last October and have started their rereleases with Legend Entertainment's Death Gate - a licensed title based on a book, even! Time to vote on every single one of their adventure games on the Wishlist.

Cool! Death Gate was a game I really wanted to try after I read the premise. I think I downloaded it off of Abandonia or one of the abandonware sites, but I never got around to actually playing it. I'm hoping the GOG version is the CD-ROM version, as that had higher-resolution, SVGA graphics.

Also, if more Legend Entertainment stuff is coming down the pipeline, my hope is that we'll get Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Well this is odd:

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/949408278659792896

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not that odd; the guy who got the Super 3D Noah's Ark rerelease going got a similar rejection message from GOG a few years ago.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Max Wilco posted:

Also, if more Legend Entertainment stuff is coming down the pipeline, my hope is that we'll get Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.
Mine's Blackstone Chronicles. I'd buy it again on GOG even though I have a box copy.

I need to play through my disc copy of Callahan's.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I remember loving the Shannara game as a kid but I was also a loving idiot so there's that

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RichterIX posted:

a kid but I was also a loving idiot
a bit redundant imo

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Piko Interactive has revealed that they only bought about half of Legend Entertainment's adventure games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GOG have rejected a bunch of really good old school/indie style games on similarly weird and vague grounds, Sword and Sorcery Underworld is another one. Need to keep that space free for real classic experiences like Assassin's Creed I guess

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

GOG have rejected a bunch of really good old school/indie style games on similarly weird and vague grounds, Sword and Sorcery Underworld is another one. Need to keep that space free for real classic experiences like Assassin's Creed I guess

I actually heard about that right after it happened from Charles, the French bloke who wrote the game. I was really annoyed by that, as was he. This was before he released the Definitive Edition that is French/English (the original was English only) and is now on Steam, so I fancy that he never bothered to re-submit the Definitive edition to GOG.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, he's a good guy who communicates well, I know how much he put into that game and it's legitimately really good. I'm sure there are other examples I don't even know about. It's real lovely and must be extremely frustrating and dispiriting

I mean obviously it's their choice what games they put on their site but I feel like they're missing the point a bit

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
They have several other Zachtronics games in the store, I don't know what's wrong with Opus Magnum.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GOG cannot support any game that promotes alchemy?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Isn't it basically Spacechem II? They have Spacechem.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I hope it isn't some weird case of doubling down on a decision that didn't make sense in the first place. "From the angle of our entire userbase." Zachtronics games have really high ratings on GOG. Userbase seems to like 'em just fine.

e: Maybe they're reacting to the contingent of users who bitch and moan about not enough old games being released, and they introduced a quota system for new games, and this one didn't make the cut?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bad Seafood posted:

They have several other Zachtronics games in the store, I don't know what's wrong with Opus Magnum.

The spheres are too shiny, probably.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I thought GOG might just be waiting for a good gap in their release schedule since a side-by-side competitor with Steam is a bad prospect but they can't say as much, so I looked at the releases of Spacechem on Steam and GOG. Steam says they got it in March of 2011, GOG says they got it in January of 2011.

Wha?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Twobirds posted:

I thought GOG might just be waiting for a good gap in their release schedule since a side-by-side competitor with Steam is a bad prospect but they can't say as much, so I looked at the releases of Spacechem on Steam and GOG. Steam says they got it in March of 2011, GOG says they got it in January of 2011.

Wha?
Steam originally rejected it back when the whims of a dozen or so Valve employees dictated who lived and who died on their platform, the critical acclaim changed their mind and it was released on Steam a couple of months later with Steamworks leaderboards (and, a short time later, some Team Fortress tie-in poo poo)

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Yeah... I also forgot Steam gives the release date when they got it, GOG says when it was originally released.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Twobirds posted:

Yeah... I also forgot Steam gives the release date when they got it, GOG says when it was originally released.

Both make sense for their own perspective. GOG's early focus on old games meant it made sense to give original release dates instead of pretending a 1993 titles is from 2012. Steam didn't have that focus on republishing oldies, so giving the date it's been added to the catalogue is more logical.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Steam release dates depend on whatever the publisher puts in the release date field. There doesn't seem to be a hard or fast rule. For example, Doom 2 lists its original release date of May the 5th 1994.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I still kinda miss when GOG was exclusively old games (good or otherwise). Gave them a specialty shop sorta flavor.

I understand why they had to branch out, but still. I don't think I've actually bought any modern games off them except for the Witcher series and maybe the Last Door? I'd have to check.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I still kinda miss when GOG was exclusively old games (good or otherwise). Gave them a specialty shop sorta flavor.

I understand why they had to branch out, but still. I don't think I've actually bought any modern games off them except for the Witcher series and maybe the Last Door? I'd have to check.

I guess but to be fair there was always going to be a finite number of classic games to rerelease. Plus we now get DRM free releases of new games which is good given how lovely some DRM is these days.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gog is great for bethesda/ (obsidian) games because you don't have to deal with steam messing up morrowind or any of that oblivion or fallout 3 drm (which was still in up until recently)

plus gog lets you crossbuy occasionally which is the best of both worlds

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Offering Indies and borderline Indies like Hellblade is fine but why is poo poo like fallout 3 and assassins creed on there. Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 is there for gods sake

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Plus we now get DRM free releases of new games which is good given how lovely some DRM is these days.
I too enjoy paying full price for games with all the online functionality stripped out because only one and a half developers give even the slightest of shits about GOG Galaxy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 is there for gods sake
Star Wars stuff is a weird situation, as Disney contracted GOG to do modern patches for the original 2005 Battlefront 2. There were probably a couple of Faustian bargains done as a result.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Kins posted:

I too enjoy paying full price for games with all the online functionality stripped out because only one and a half developers give even the slightest of shits about GOG Galaxy.

Poor, poor Lords of Magic. :sigh:

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Still holding out hope for Wheel of Time...

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Goddamn, what a giant disappointment the Force Unleashed 2 was, considering how much I played with the first game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Well that's on you for buying at full price I guess

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Offering Indies and borderline Indies like Hellblade is fine but why is poo poo like fallout 3 and assassins creed on there. Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 is there for gods sake

Why not? They don't adhere to any particular type of games, except that they're DRM-free.

The Kins posted:

What games have this happened to? Do devs need to do anything in particular for their games to work with Galaxy, isn't it just a platform for downloading games, cloud saves and connecting players? Though I imagine the community is much smaller for most games compared to Steam, of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

Here's a secret: You don't have to pay full price.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Kins posted:

This but unironically

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Why not? They don't adhere to any particular type of games, except that they're DRM-free.

Yes that is quite clear thank you

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

So I installed GOG Galaxy on my mac a while ago, and everything was well until now, and I cannot for some reason install games on my machine anymore. Whenever I click install, a box that supposed to have options pops up but never populates. Any suggestions how I could remedy that?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Putrid Grin posted:

So I installed GOG Galaxy on my mac a while ago, and everything was well until now, and I cannot for some reason install games on my machine anymore. Whenever I click install, a box that supposed to have options pops up but never populates. Any suggestions how I could remedy that?

re-install GOG galaxy after wiping the installation directory?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

What games have this happened to?
Brutal Legend is one, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more, but my mind might be mixing this up with similar behaviour on the Mac App Store.

EDIT: Found a list. Some highlights:

Clustertruck lacks the level editor, replays, leaderboards and custom map support.
Postal 2 lacks all the additional content developed for the Steam release (seasonal easter eggs, gamepad support, improved editor, new expansion pack...)
Escape Goat 2 lacks the level editor.
Necropolis Brutal Edition lacks all multiplayer functionality.
Luftrausers lacks a patch for a nasty bug.
Sam and Max Season 1 lacks patches for nasty bugs.
The Chaos Engine lacks all online multiplayer functionality.
Both OlliOlli games lack daily challenges and leaderboards
Spelunky lacks the daily challenge mode
Nuclear Throne is stuck on version 96 (Steam ver is on 99) and has no daily/weekly challenge modes
KOTOR lacks the big official 2015 patch
Doom 3 BFG Edition has multiplayer menus removed, although you can kind of hack around it with console commands
Steamworld Heist hasn't received any patches.

Do devs need to do anything in particular for their games to work with Galaxy, isn't it just a platform for downloading games, cloud saves and connecting players? Though I imagine the community is much smaller for most games compared to Steam, of course.
Galaxy has an API for multiplayer stuff, similar to Steamworks. Some games use it, like Turok 2 and Dragons Dogma, but they're few and far between in comparison.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All the games in my GOG library are either free or I got through the GOG sync with Steam.