Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Internet Kraken posted:

If I remember correctly, this is a series that started back when games were trying to make a big thing about MORAL CHOICES. The game basically had you resolve every problem in one of two ways. One way made you a hero, the other a villain (or anti-hero whatever). The idea is that you will be either famous or infamous, hence the stupid title.

Why did they name the third game "Second Son" and the fourth game "First Light"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
wow one of the couch guys said something unprompted

it only took 15 minutes

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Barudak posted:

Also the twist at the end of the first game was almost violently stupid and the payoff in the sequel was even better too because a) it didn't pay off and b) the main character looked like a completely different human being which is sort of important to the whole plot of the first game

I will give them one thing though, the final showdown on the Evil path against Zeke was pretty drat effective.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Brother Entropy posted:

so continuity literally changes in order to gently caress you over no matter what you pick?

that's hilariously stupid game design

this was one of the many, many problems i had with gtaiv's (undeservedly praised) story as well

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This makes me wonder why there are seemingly more transladies than cisladies in the speedrunning community. I mean the community is incredibly toxic to the transladies so is it even worse somehow if you are cis? I can't imagine that being the case.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Corek posted:

I just realized there are at least four games of InFAMOUS. :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brother Entropy posted:

the skyrim run will probably rule, basically all the elder scrolls runs have been hilarious bug exploits

Oh the Skyrim run does rule. I think its been at GDQ at least twice now. But since I'm actually playing the game right now I don't wanna watch it incase they casually drop spoilers about the DLC which I haven't played (it would be totally understandable if they did do that given the game is like 5 years old).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Corek posted:

second son was the first game with a new protagonist and first light was a prequel to second son

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sage Grimm posted:

Just more mid-budget games nobody's ever heard of

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"I got it?!"

[Very tepid clapping.]

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

CharlestonJew posted:

Didn't know Andy Richter signed up for a run

THATS WHO SHE SOUNDS LIKE

it's been killing me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

really? I thought there were two :psyduck: (I saw another at a different GDQ event, though I can't really remember anything from that one either)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

financially racist posted:

this was one of the many, many problems i had with gtaiv's (undeservedly praised) story as well

I could choose to get Nico's cousin killed though, so while everything leading up to that moment was raw sewage, that moment felt exhilirating.

Also I want everyone to remember that the plot kickoff for GTAIV will seem entirely incomprehensible to anyone alive since uber/lyft existed

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Almost the entire crowd has emptied out. I feel like if she wasn't running this in italian (even if it's slower) I might be more interested in it. Welp.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh the Skyrim run does rule. I think its been at GDQ at least twice now. But since I'm actually playing the game right now I don't wanna watch it incase they casually drop spoilers about the DLC which I haven't played (it would be totally understandable if they did do that given the game is like 5 years old).

Skyrim in SGDQ 2016 ran by DrTChops was awesome if only for the great bucket strats and the "I love you" donation.

I took a little break to watch Broen (which I'm sure means nothing to you american types) and I want to at least catch Skyrim before heading to bed. Maybe Hollow Knight if they stick to the schedule, I really dig that game.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
What's the meaning behind pearl jam references in the chat?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Lobster posted:

This makes me wonder why there are seemingly more transladies than cisladies in the speedrunning community. I mean the community is incredibly toxic to the transladies so is it even worse somehow if you are cis? I can't imagine that being the case.

we spend a lot of time terrified to leave the house before/during transition and what better thing to spend your time doing than playing video games a bunch

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fooma posted:

What's the meaning behind pearl jam references in the chat?

I think it's comparing greedy sub-only mode to ticketmaster?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm here and I'm watching AGDQ with my goon buds!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Don't forget the one that never came to be for PSP, not that its existence would have helped that console

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Twitch Chat is a black hole, son. Put that poo poo in your rear view mirror.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

we spend a lot of time terrified to leave the house before/during transition and what better thing to spend your time doing than playing video games a bunch

This makes a lot of sense.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
mods in chat are doin a hell of a job tho. the toxic comments are almost deleted instantly.

one big plus for sub only chat at least

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

really? I thought there were two :psyduck: (I saw another at a different GDQ event, though I can't really remember anything from that one either)

Okay, there was the lovely first one that they gave way for free after leaking everyone's security data.

Then there was a lovely second game that I don't know anything about because why would you play a second one.

Then there was one about vampires but that might have been a DLC but either way it was run at a GDQ.

And then there was the PS4 one near launch that when they announced at an E3 everyone went, "Why?" which I think is this one but I obviously really do not give two shits about this series.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Lobster posted:

This makes a lot of sense.

obviously that's kind of a joke answer but there's some truth to it, at least for me; i got really good at speedrunning doom 2 while transitioning during college

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

tbh a lot of the speedrunning community runs off of nostalgia of games you played as a youngster and when you're young you've got less control over doing things that are deemed outside of your gender depending on how cool your parents/social peers are and video games are very much seen as a 'boy' thing when it comes to little kids

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the cool thing about Second Son/First Light speedruns is that they last just about as long as a normal playthrough

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ngl this looks like a terrible speedgame

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
aaaaaand now I'm out to get ready for the Panthers game. Goodbye GDQ buds, I hope to join you in earnest soon <3

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

the cool thing about Second Son/First Light speedruns is that they last just about as long as a normal playthrough

10 minutes till you realize you're playing an infamous game, turn it off, and play something else?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
inFAMOUS 2 was really really fun because partway through the game you get a lightning grappling hook

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this run is awful

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

From what I've played of Second Son which seems to be pretty much exactly the same game, this is a ton of fun to play because your movement options feel amazing but this speedrun is just boring as heck

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
two questions

1. why did this get prime spot
2. why did this get accepted to agdq

no offense to the runner but im just not feeling this run at all

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Random Stranger posted:

And then there was the PS4 one near launch that when they announced at an E3 everyone went, "Why?" which I think is this one but I obviously really do not give two shits about this series.

That one was Second Son, which I remember from that E3 announcement (along with Watch Dogs, another similar game in scope and aesthetic). This, according to wikipedia is basically a standalone sequel released in the same year like what Farcry did with their Prehistoric game.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

the MC in this looks stupid while she's flying.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Brother Entropy posted:

tbh a lot of the speedrunning community runs off of nostalgia of games you played as a youngster and when you're young you've got less control over doing things that are deemed outside of your gender depending on how cool your parents/social peers are and video games are very much seen as a 'boy' thing when it comes to little kids

I played video games when I was little and I'm a girl but I've come to find out I had a VERY accepting social group and not just for West Virginia. But I have no interest in speedrunning them; my thing is collecting as many as I can like some kind of dragon with a hoard.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Fuckin' Reddit man. The entire front page of /r/speedrun is universally complaining about sub only mode, banned emotes, no fun, etc. It's as though anyone who doesn't care or disagrees with that stuff being a problem has left to find a more positive community. This poo poo's not even being downvoted anymore. Anyone who naively hops into the subreddit hoping for some quick info/discussion on AGDQ is going to be bombarded by outrage and probably influenced by it too.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
Who lives in a city with enough neon that having eating neon as a super power would be viable?

I feel like you'd spend a lot of time hanging around whore houses and strip joints in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This franchise died after this, right? This was 4 years ago, now.

• Locked thread