Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Myriad Truths posted:

Did any of those have negative consequences though? Particularly when it comes to being bitter and distant, I have a hard time counting that as a character flaw because so many anime treat it like a positive thing because the character is now cooler.
Lots of media use this trope, often in a harmful way. The Punisher is cool because they're bitter and damaged and value Justice over being a functioning human'nice'. This also describes Batman, BBC Sherlock, every male Frank Miller character ever, Wolverine, etc., etc., I remember reading about anti-war activists being devastated to discover that a lot of potential recruits think having PTSD is cool and sexy.

To become beautifully, uniquely damaged for a great cause is something we instinctively admire. We like noble sacrifice in others.

Phos is hosed up, and deeply envious of the silly person they could be when they were still whole. But even Zircon wants to be cool and damaged like Phos now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Squidster posted:

Lots of media use this trope, often in a harmful way.

To become beautifully, uniquely damaged for a great cause is something we instinctively admire. We like noble sacrifice in others.

Do you have any other sources on this? It would be interesting to read about further.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure I'd say it's instinctive, but heroic sacrifice is definitely glorified (if not really adhered to) at least in US media. I think people may be turning on brooding antiheroes and unlikable characters somewhat, though.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Given that the show is so colourful, how is reading the manga? Is it super clear who's who?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, that's why the gems also all have very distinct hair styles.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I'm just sad that the prettiest one with the big hair goes back to sleep so soon after they fix her. I want more of her.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The manga designs are clear thanks to their varied hair, and the art is gorgeous enough to make up for any confusion over the colours. Some of the scenes in the anime are pretty much shot for shot..

Do NOT google the manga to see more, some of the later covers and first images to pop up are major spoilers for arcs well after the anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I will say that the manga's sense of humor feels much... dryer? Compared to the anime. Not in a bad way, mind, just that without the voice acting, color, and motion everything feels less like an extended gag sequence and more like weird little asides. That's probably the biggest difference I noticed tone-wise.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cronodoculous posted:

I'm just sad that the prettiest one with the big hair goes back to sleep so soon after they fix her. I want more of her.

I kinda don't get why Rutile doesn't just use some of that hair to fill the holes instead of whatever is found lying around...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ranzear posted:

I kinda don't get why Rutile doesn't just use some of that hair to fill the holes instead of whatever is found lying around...

are you implying it would be a good idea to tarnish that perfect hair

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Ranzear posted:

Hair doesn't have a lot of inclusions, if any, so it'd be filler material and probably end the same way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But why do those holes appear in the first place? Does material inserted somehow sublimate or "wander away"? Is there a real-world physical/chemical parallel?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

But why do those holes appear in the first place? Does material inserted somehow sublimate or "wander away"? Is there a real-world physical/chemical parallel?

Padparadscha had those holes from birth and anything Rutile tried basically got rejected after some time.
Think of it as donor organs.
The hair should work, though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

I will say that the manga's sense of humor feels much... dryer? Compared to the anime. Not in a bad way, mind, just that without the voice acting, color, and motion everything feels less like an extended gag sequence and more like weird little asides. That's probably the biggest difference I noticed tone-wise.

100% agreed on this, but it probably should be expected when they pulled together such a great voice cast and comedy director.

nielsm posted:

either pad formed that way and was able to maintain consciousness for x years/centuries before reaching the state they're in now, or sensei/the gems found some material that worked... until the inclusions rejected or died and it stopped working.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Someone I spoke to said that the gem that Pad's based off has a structure that makes it impossible to reform broken pieces so whatever's placed in the holes will work temporarily but be rejected, so taking the hair would work for longer but also fail and become inert, so it would be case of making Pad bald eventually, if done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also Phos's change in personality by the end of winter struck me as something occurring over a time-skip between what happens to Antarctite and the end of winter, which was a significant amount of time.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tesseraction posted:

Also Phos's change in personality by the end of winter struck me as something occurring over a time-skip between what happens to Antarctite and the end of winter, which was a significant amount of time.
This was my take as well.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tesseraction posted:

When 300 years is young, 1/4th a year is not a significant amount of time. Especially for the characters that were asleep during that skip.

It was way more interesting how the other characters adapted to the change, like just immediately accepting it and being curious and like not even questioning it or seeing if Phos was ok. Just life per usual rumbles on, reflective in their existence without a clear backend concept of death.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

When 300 years is young, 1/4th a year is not a significant amount of time. Especially for the characters that were asleep during that skip.

It was way more interesting how the other characters adapted to the change, like just immediately accepting it and being curious and like not even questioning it or seeing if Phos was ok. Just life per usual rumbles on, reflective in their existence without a clear backend concept of death.

There is no clear indication how much time is between events with a few exceptions like the winter hibernation. It could be weeks, it could be months or years.
Don't forget that they also forget a lot when they have to replace material, so that adds to Phos' change in character. Isn't this even one of the main themes of the series?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Three months by yourself is a pretty long time to spend most of it alone, especially as Phos says they can't really sleep since the incident. It might not mean much to you in retrospect of your life, but it's still happening to you in real time. A day of my life may not be much in the grand scheme but the shittiest day of your life will probably feel like it lasted longer than 24 hours.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/meow_nightcat/status/931556189808160770

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Wow, finally caught up on this and what a great show. Just a fantastic production all around with sharp CG and a great soundtrack. I was a little worried for a while because it seemed intent on hitting a lot of NGE story beats, but it didn't quite turn out that way.

Still, poor Phos. I hope it gets a second season. (Diamond is best gem.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tsundebar

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
fuckin cinnabar man seriously. Shoulda fell in love with dia instead *sigh* :allears:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Toxic introverts need love too, y'know.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
do not disrespect cinnabar

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
combo attack

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the op and ed shipped cinnabar and phos so heavily and then they interact like five times all season 0/10 worst anime ever

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

that's cinnabar's fault ofc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cinnabar Did Nothing Wrong.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

They’s an rear end in a top hat imo

Bring back genki phuosphyllite

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Pollyanna posted:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Pollyanna posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cinnabar has flaws as a character, ergo they're an rear end in a top hat

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cinnabar teaches a valuable lesson: confess to your crush when you have the chance otherwise they'll forget you when they lose their limbs and replace them with cooler and more powerful upgrades.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The Colonel posted:

cinnabar has flaws as a character, ergo they're an rear end in a top hat

Cinnabar’s specific set of flaws are unlikeable to me, in a way that bort’s aren’t. Both character’s are big ol’ jerks though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I cannot accept this maltreatment of Cinnabar by the libs in this thread so I'm driving down to my local to buy some cinnabar and eat it all in protest

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tesseraction posted:

I cannot accept this maltreatment of Cinnabar by the libs in this thread so I'm driving down to my local to buy some cinnabar and eat it all in protest

I think you mean Cinnabon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Cinnabon leaves a trail of frosting that kills all the plant life it touches

• Locked thread