Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This show kinda needs some ridiculous visual effects. Maybe he wants to do it right or not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

awesome. great.

quote:

Kristin Chenoweth, the actress who plays Germanic goddess of the dawn Easter on the series, spoke to Variety about her status for the show possibly changing. She says it's Fuller who asked her to join the series, given their shared history on the show Pushing Daisies. "When Bryan was the showrunner, I was coming back for several episodes, but I don't know now," she says. "It depends on who it is and if they think I add value or not

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/after-losing-showrunners-now-american-gods-star-ma/1100-6455370/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Well..at least season one was good. :( :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Glad this show is dying because Bryan Fuller can't work with what he is given.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress

RIP American Gods TV show

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Y’all the whole point of the show is to have faith

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
loving lol at everyone who blames Bryan Fuller for the network loving him over

I mean if you paid him to make the first season did you even watch it? Of course he's going to want to expand on the already generous budget you asked for.

However I'm curious at how that money breaks down when you look at a $10 million per episode price tag. Is it the celebrity cast? Because the show, as great as it is, doesn't look that much better than Hannibal, a show always cheaper than it looked where Bryan paid for the Siouxsie Sioux song in the finale himself.

edit: also a show without both showrunners and probably more than just Kristin Chenoweth leaving the cast will be bad no matter what

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mameluke posted:

loving lol at everyone who blames Bryan Fuller for the network loving him over

I mean if you paid him to make the first season did you even watch it? Of course he's going to want to expand on the already generous budget you asked for.

However I'm curious at how that money breaks down when you look at a $10 million per episode price tag. Is it the celebrity cast? Because the show, as great as it is, doesn't look that much better than Hannibal, a show always cheaper than it looked where Bryan paid for the Siouxsie Sioux song in the finale himself.

edit: also a show without both showrunners and probably more than just Kristin Chenoweth leaving the cast will be bad no matter what

How did the network gently caress him over? He made a show with middling acclaim that no one watched and then had the balls to ask for what would've been one of the highest tv budgets ever. Starz was totally right to tell him to gently caress off.

Yea I'm wondering where the money was going too. Maybe he wanted a ton more Jinn sex scenes this season???

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 6, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be honest I think the concept and story of American Gods is cool enough that somebody else could walk in and do a good job. Plus Fuller already set up a look for the whole show. I'd love somebody sensible to come in and get the same budget and improve on some of the more frustrating things about Fuller's execution.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Maybe if you're gonna hire a really skilled dude to make a show for you, don't then fight with him when he tells you what he needs to do it right.

Who am I kidding, that's literally what TV executives dream their whole lives of doing. Enjoy the upcoming season of compromise, mediocrity, and CW-grade visual effects, I guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am a huge fan of Fuller and I still lolol at anyone defending him asking for $10 million per episode.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Maybe the guy whose whole thing is elaborate, overly ambitious setpieces that no one actually watches should learn to scale it back a bit

I say that as a Bryan Fuller lover

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Javid posted:

Maybe if you're gonna hire a really skilled dude to make a show for you, don't then fight with him when he tells you what he needs to do it right.

Who am I kidding, that's literally what TV executives dream their whole lives of doing. Enjoy the upcoming season of compromise, mediocrity, and CW-grade visual effects, I guess.

If American Gods was a runaway breakout GOT-level success, sure

more people watch a boring show about a timetraveling Irish nurse than watch American Gods

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Vegetable posted:

To be honest I think the concept and story of American Gods is cool enough that somebody else could walk in and do a good job. Plus Fuller already set up a look for the whole show. I'd love somebody sensible to come in and get the same budget and improve on some of the more frustrating things about Fuller's execution.

I'm reminded of how amazing the first episode of Boardwalk Empire was and how terrible the rest of it was in comparison...I doubt anyone can Sussmayr this to completion.

Steve Yun posted:

I am a huge fan of Fuller and I still lolol at anyone defending him asking for $10 million per episode.

How does this break down, because they were making BSG for $1M/ep and that was mostly sfx shots and a cast the size of a small city. I know there are more overhead costs and digital royalties and all that these days, but even GoT's biggest episodes :airquote: only :airquote: cost $10 million each.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you ever watched 30 Rock he played Wesley Snipes in that and William Masters in Master of Sex.

Though looking him he'll apparently have a big role in the next Simon Pegg/Nick Frost joint.

Oh god I remember him now. He'll always be Wesley Snipes to me. Man that character was annoying.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Add Gillian Anderson to the list of people who are done with the show because Fuller's out

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

why are these people signed to contracts that let them walk this easily? does starz not have lawyers

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Well that sucks. Since she's Media it will make it easier to explain her new appearance.

I wonder if Starz is just going to cancel the show?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mallratcal posted:

Well that sucks. Since she's Media it will make it easier to explain her new appearance.

For real. "I changed my appearance to get with the times." Easy way to write in a new actress.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I’ll probably still watch but I’ve basically checked out after all of this.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

why are these people signed to contracts that let them walk this easily? does starz not have lawyers

It wouldn't surprise me if a substantial change such as that between seasons lets them terminate the contract without penalty. And/or if you want names that big you gotta give them that sweet sweet "can bail anytime" clause.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

mallratcal posted:

Well yes, continuity-wise having Media all of a sudden look different would be incredibly easy to explain away. Doesn't change the fact that Gillian Anderson was loving incredible as Media, and it will not be easy to try to follow behind her performance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IIRC correctly,. Anderson wasn't even a regular on this show. It'd be much easier for her to bail, compared to someone like Ricky Whittle.

That said, we can probably say goodbye to Kristin Chenoweth too.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
nine billion dollars up in smoke to produce eight hours of an old guy playing checkers and some magic genitals

what an auteur

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

RIP American Gods, literally too beautiful to live

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Man, imagine how small the budget will be once all the big names bail!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I literally just found out all of this news from the show runner stuff on

Fuuuuuuuck

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bilquis was trash. Odín was cool
Rip tv show

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What a loving waste

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I'll always appreciate the show for having an honest, intimate depiction of Muslim homosexuality. It's sad that it's probably gonna be dead after its only season.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks to this thread talking up Hannibal I've gotten through two seasons and a bit of the third and what the gently caress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks to this thread talking up Hannibal I've gotten through two seasons and a bit of the third and what the gently caress

The only show that's caused me to throw up in my mouth a little bit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Between this and Dirk Gently I'm feeling a little deflated for tv this year

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
as long as Gaiman stays involved i'm pretty sure the next season will be fine.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Oi oi blokes I thought maybe since Gillian's done a runner we could 'ave media played by Amanda Palmer and maybe Kristen could be replaced by Tori Amos and anuvver thing I was finking was maybe if we have a god, right, and he's a tall thin melancholy fella with curly hair in a leather jacket

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Disgusting Coward posted:

Oi oi blokes I thought maybe since Gillian's done a runner we could 'ave media played by Amanda Palmer and maybe Kristen could be replaced by Tori Amos and anuvver thing I was finking was maybe if we have a god, right, and he's a tall thin melancholy fella with curly hair in a leather jacket
I agree someone should adapt The Sandman to a TV show since its far to epic and big for a movie, get HBO on that poo poo because what are they going to do when GOT is over? Resurrect Rome?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

achillesforever6 posted:

I agree someone should adapt The Sandman to a TV show since its far to epic and big for a movie, get HBO on that poo poo because what are they going to do when GOT is over? Resurrect Rome?

Lindelof is doing Watchmen as a series.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klungar posted:

Lindelof is doing Watchmen as a series.

Is it going to be somewhere we can get blue dicks?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Azhais posted:

Is it going to be somewhere we can get blue dicks?

HBO, so, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Disgusting Coward posted:

gaiman doesn't have a cockney accent, he has a very posh north london accent :colbert: