Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How do you guys cook? Right now I do it in one of two ways. I find a good recipe and go buy the stuff or I buy something and then look up what to do with it in the store. This is how I found a recipe for kohlrabi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes.

Weekly menu plan that handles ingredient overlap, i.e. if one thing needs buttermilk better find 2 others this week or next. If farmer's market has good poo poo that drives the menu, if not my wife usually has 10,000 pins to choose from.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cast iron is cool and all but lemmie tell ya about carbon steel y'all.

#MatferMafia

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've done the full sperg seven layers of linseed thing, and I've also just used them as they built up seasoning over time. The results look different, but nothing sticks to any of my pans. I guess crepes and omelettes are a little easier in the one that I geeked out on, but most of the time I just use my 10" skillet, which I've been using with no care other than "scrub off the big chunks with chain mail, use a scrubby pad under hot water to wipe away any food residue, dry over high heat on the stove, wipe an oily paper towel over it when it barely starts smoking, stick it in the cold oven until next time I want to use it". I've cooked tomatoes and other acidic food in it for hours at a time, I've let it soak overnight because I forgot about it, it doesn't care. The thing's bulletproof.

Buy cast iron.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cast iron is cool and all but lemmie tell ya about carbon steel y'all.

#MatferMafia

You have to season it, yeah? I love the patina on our carbon steel chef's knife.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oven cleaner spray. Spray, put in trash bag, wait 1 day. Rust and old seasoning comes off like nothing.

It's magical :allears:

From this:

After a light scrub:

(the rest came off with a brillo pad)

After 3 rounds of seasoning:

And a year later:

Daxley
Apr 13, 2016
Breakfast this morning.

85g Spinach (2 Cups)
264g Egg Whites (just over 1 Cup)
26g Salted Butter (around 1 tablespoon)
61.6g Sharp Cheddar Cheese (just over 1/2 cup)

Calories 587
Protein 46g
Fat 40g
Carbs 3g

Recommend a non-stick surface. Over medium heat, slowly melt butter until liquified and appearing white in the pan. If the butter becomes clear your heat is too hot and you will burn the ever living piss out of your egg whites. Add in egg whites and spinach. Wait while the egg whites slowly go from yellowish piss flavored color to white yummy proteinish color. Use your instrument of choice to move the eggs about and shift them so the uncooked liquid can hit the heat. Once there is no egg liquid in the pan anymore, add in your cheese and slowly toss in the pan for about 15-30 seconds or until the cheese STARTS to melt. Remove from pan and plate immediately.

Enjoy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Daxley fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 7, 2018

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

BrianBoitano posted:

You have to season it, yeah? I love the patina on our carbon steel chef's knife.

You season it like a cast iron pan, but it's much lighter and less unwieldy. I have completely stopped using my cast iron pans since I got a couple De Buyer pans. So nice, and not that expensive.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear Livejournal,

On Friday, I was out with my sweetie for drinks. We haven't seen each other since like Thanksgiving, so it was really nice to see him and catch up. About 2 hours into our date, I get a text from my lady friend T-----. "My dad died. [Husband] isn't home, and I'm not OK." I showed my guy the text message, and he said, "I'll take care of the tab. Go." First of all, I have so much love for my guy, because he understood what you have to do when your best friend's dad dies--you stop whatever your doing, and you get your rear end on the next train up to the middle of nowhere town that she lives in.

I managed to get from Jersey City to New York Penn Station (while buying the train ticket on the New Jersey Transit app during the sprint from 6th ave to Madison Square Garden) about 4 minutes before the train to her nearest town.

"DELAYED".

Oh. Ok. So I'll chill for a few minutes, grab a beer or something from the CVS, and jump on the train when its time.

Meanwhile, her husband was driving from gently caress far Northern New Jersey where he works to gently caress far Southern New Jersey (Asbury Park, in case anyone's curious) to pick up T-----'s vegan ice cream cake. She's been wanting a vegan ice cream cake for /years/ but nobody made one during the winter (her b-day is the 25th of January). No, shut up. Asbury park is not "central" Jersey.

So it's an hour and a half drive from Wayne to Asbury Park. Dude loving /booked/ it from work to go pickup this goddamned cake. About 10 minutes before he's at the bakery, he gets the call from T-----. So now he hauls rear end back home (after securing the cake).

My 8:51 train showed up at like 9:45. By the time I got up to Denville, her husband had made it home, put the cake in the freezer (without her seeing, somehow), and got to the train station to pick me up. I got to T----'s house, and she was a loving /wreck/.

I knew her dad, and he was a sweetheart. So instead of mourning his loss, we kind of had a mini celebration of his life. We traded stories about him, drank his favourite cocktail (brandy alexander, if you're curious), and were laughing and having a lovely time by the end of the night. Of course we both cried a little bit because he's no longer here to share in our lives, but that was the shortest time.

Call those people you love. Get that recipe from them that you've been meaning to write down. Tell them you love them. You freaking blink, and they're gone.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Anyway, here's my recipe for vegan ice cream,

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My grandma has two yorkies named Brandy and Alexander.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jay Carney posted:

Speaking of, I have the complete modernist cuisine set that I have no real use for. Anyone know if there is a resale market for these things? Or am I condemned to bring it with me wherever I move forever and ever.

I am interested in this

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Jay Carney posted:

Speaking of, I have the complete modernist cuisine set that I have no real use for. Anyone know if there is a resale market for these things? Or am I condemned to bring it with me wherever I move forever and ever.

Count me interested too if the people ahead of me choose not to buy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Count me interested too if the people ahead of me choose not to buy.

:same:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How do you guys cook? Right now I do it in one of two ways. I find a good recipe and go buy the stuff or I buy something and then look up what to do with it in the store. This is how I found a recipe for kohlrabi

I wander into a store, buy vegetables that are appealing for at least 3-4 days worth of cooking, and pick up anything out of the ordinary or exciting. so a typical flow would be like, "see broccoli, it keeps for 2 weeks, why should I not buy this right now we'll eat it sometime, ok it's in my cart" then "oh cilantro, I am out of cilantro, better throw one in", then "oh woah sunchokes, don't see those normally, here's half a pound of sunchokes", then, "poo poo I'm outta celery, and maybe I could make a salad with celery, that goes in", and then "oh fennel is on sale, that sounds good, I'll do a celery/fennel slaw" then "well gently caress it tomatoes are out of season and suck but I love tomatoes better grab 2-3 of those, maybe go in a salad, maybe something else??

then I move to meat/cheese/bread. "whelp, no good looking bread, maybe I eat rice this week", or "woah they have a lavash that's super fresh, guess I'm making middle eastern style tonight" or "holy poo poo gruyere is on sale, fondue night!"

then to meat kinda based on feel of other ingredients. like lavash, now I'm looking for ground lamb for kebaps. or if I ended up with the fondue, I'm looking for maybe just some good looking shrimp to poach or a little cured meat or something to go with the cheese, or maybe scrap the shrimp and pick up a singular sausage? or if I ended up with more asian/spanish veg ingredients I'm probably looking for chicken or pork.

if some meat is on sale, I'll buy whatever is the opposite from what I'm eating tonight so I'm not duplicating meals, and use the other 2-3 days worth of vegetables to just throw together a homey thing the following nights. so like fondue and shrimp tonight, I'm buying chicken drumsticks for 2 days from now to go with the broccoli. lamb kebabs tonight? I'm buying a frozen salmon or something.

then I move on to wine to match whatever I'm cooking, and then cat litter and toilet paper and paper towels, milk, eggs, maybe a frozen pizza, done.

and that good internet friends, is how I spend a million billion dollars on grocery runs every month.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 8, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I raid the sales bins, especially for meat. I rarely cook white people food so it's just whatever combo of stir fried or souped or stewed things with a noodle or a rice and a pile of banchan.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I keep a shopping list note (Google Keep) on my phone, if I think of a food or see a recipe in my feed, add any ingredients we don't already have to the list and shop once or twice a week from the list + refresh staples like green veg, salad, tofu. Also keep a freezer full of standards like chili, dal, soup, bean burgers, falafel, etc. I cook at least 6 nights a week.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I scream obscenities at my Echo until it adds the thing I’ve just run out of onto my shopping list, and when I can bring myself to face the abyss, I venture to the shops and buy all of the things on the list, and a few other things that entice me.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lots of different styles here!

I dropped my good Shun knife while washing it this morning and it chipped on the edge of a pot. It’s got a decent chip about 3/4th of the way down the blade.

Anywhere I can send it to get it repaired?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I shop almost totally based on what's on sale that week. Weeknight dinners are pretty traditional meat + vegetable + second vegetable or carb. At this point I have enough go-to possibilities that it doesn't take much thought or time. Weekends are when I try new recipes (sometimes) in addition to making work lunches and/or something big with leftovers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'll buy meat on sale. I have various purchase decision thresholds depending on the cut or type. < 99c/lb for pork butt is a buy, < 4.99/lb for tritip, too, < . Etc. I'll build the meal around that. I usually have stupid amounts of basics lying around to work with.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have a random .doc called RECIPELIST with a giant list of stuff I cook, sorted by things like "Ground beef" or "rotisserie chicken" or "Quick" or whatever. For me, coming up with stuff we have a taste for is half the battle, so having a running list of dinners helps. (We also tend to eat a lot of one-pot things, not so much meat-and-sides.)

So when it comes to shopping, I look at all the ads and come up with things to cook based on what's on sale, or if there's something we really want to eat I just do it in reverse. We're pretty big on-sale/frugal/cheapass shoppers. The list itself generally just goes in an email to myself that I use at the store, divided into lose categories based on what I go to first in the store (I really like grocery shopping most of the time).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Lots of different styles here!

I dropped my good Shun knife while washing it this morning and it chipped on the edge of a pot. It’s got a decent chip about 3/4th of the way down the blade.

Anywhere I can send it to get it repaired?

A good knife shop? I suppose it depends on where you are. Had a shopkeeper tell me recently that he’s seen a few Shun knives pick up some nasty knocks like that recently.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The list itself generally just goes in an email to myself that I use at the store,

I love AnyList. Not sure if they're on Android.

You add thing, it guesses the category. Neat features:
  • It remembers categories, like you teach it once that "mint" is an herb not a candy.
  • Custom categories, which I hack for other stores. Multiple store support is available for premium accounts but I do it this way for free.
  • Rearrange categories, since not all stores are laid out the same.
  • Sync over wifi or cell. My wife and I can split up and we never double up or miss something.

I've never used the recipes or meal plan settings, and I also don't have a smart home assistant so I don't know if you can tell Alexa to add things.

I also use it as a shared to-do list, why not.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We buy meat in bulk because we live in a farming area where it's relatively cheap to fill a chest freezer that way with quality stuff and not worry about of for most of the year. Then we keep a variety of rice/dried pasta handy, and buy shitloads of vegetables and a bit of cheese and some tortillas or bread sometimes. We usually always keep some peppers (poblanos are surprisingly cheaper than others) carrots, potatoes/sweet potatoes, spinach or other leafy greens, sometimes mushrooms, and usually something interesting/on sale to experiment with. In the summer we grow a bunch of tomatoes, carrots, and poblano peppers in the backyard, so we buy very few groceries, and it's fantastic.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I hit the farmers market on Saturday and buy my eggs, mushrooms and seasonal veg. Then I hit the sale bins for meat and anything that's a tough cut gets portioned, seasoned and vacuum sealed for the tepid puddle and tossed in the freezer. My pantries are stocked with staples at all times for most styles of food. Having access to all the ethnic markets in LA is good for that.

After that it's either plan for sous vide or cook what feels good based on what's in the fridge. I keep roughly 80ish bottles of wine on hand so we shop for varietals monthly and choose what we drink that night from our stock or we drink cocktails or whiskey.

Daxley
Apr 13, 2016
I actually shop for boxed foods at bargain places, where I know the things I want to buy are BOGO or will come in giant bulk packages where I can get the most bang for my buck. In regards to vegetables, I hit up the local organic/locally sourced food stores. For meat, I have found a local butcher and I go there, because honestly their meat is cheaper and better, and occasionally they carry interesting fare (ostrich, deer, rabbit, etc).

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm a long time fan of pressure cooking. Yesterday I came across this:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

And it motivated me to buy an instant pot and that cookbook today.

Just made and ate that butter chicken and goddamn, how easy and fast and great. I was skeptical of the instant pot but man it sure makes things more convenient than a normal pressure cooker.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

theres a will theres moe posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

Just made and ate that butter chicken and goddamn, how easy and fast and great. I was skeptical of the instant pot but man it sure makes things more convenient than a normal pressure cooker.

I have no idea what's wrong with me but I have an electric pressure cooker and a normal pressure cooker and I use the normal one every time because it's just been better in my experience
Maybe it's cuz the normal one was like $200 and the electric one was like $60. Are there lots and lots of price-sensitive features on pressure cookers?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I have no idea what's wrong with me but I have an electric pressure cooker and a normal pressure cooker and I use the normal one every time because it's just been better in my experience
Maybe it's cuz the normal one was like $200 and the electric one was like $60. Are there lots and lots of price-sensitive features on pressure cookers?

If you mean, "why are old primitive pressure cookers more expensive?" I would imagine it's mostly economy-of-scale. I doubt normal pressure cookers sell in high numbers, in the US at least, so they have to have higher margins in order to make it worth keeping the lights on at the pressure cooker factory.

If you know you're gonna ship ten million instant pots to Wal Mart this Xmas you can charge a pittance over cost, your product is nonsensically cheaper than its competing ancestors, and you still get rich.

That's my guess anyway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

If you mean, "why are old primitive pressure cookers more expensive?" I would imagine it's mostly economy-of-scale. I doubt normal pressure cookers sell in high numbers, in the US at least, so they have to have higher margins in order to make it worth keeping the lights on at the pressure cooker factory.

If you know you're gonna ship ten million instant pots to Wal Mart this Xmas you can charge a pittance over cost, your product is nonsensically cheaper than its competing ancestors, and you still get rich.

That's my guess anyway.

I bought the normal pressure cooker 2016, but i guess your economy of scale argument stands

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Woah, what a time to join this thread. I just got my instant pot delivered today and am wondering what I should make in it. Butter chicken sounds good

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tots posted:

Woah, what a time to join this thread. I just got my instant pot delivered today and am wondering what I should make in it. Butter chicken sounds good

Butter chicken is god. Good. Whatever, where do you live? I'm hungry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Welp, that sold me a cookbook. Butter chicken is gooood and for some reason i cannot for the life of me make daal right on the stovetop.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2018

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I gave up on making butter chicken that was as good as the local take-out years ago. Never tried a pressure cooker version though. Mind sharing that recipe?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
You'll just have to click that link yourself.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So I was working out a recipe with the tepid puddle machine and have decided that pork belly at 155F for 24 hours and then pressed (in sealed bag) for another 24 hours in the fridge then crisped under a low broiler (no bag this time) is the way to go for pork belly.

I have tried it many ways but this seems to be the most foolproof for me.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Welp, that sold me a cookbook. Butter chicken is gooood and for some reason i cannot for the life of me make daal right on the stovetop.

Sold me a cookbook too!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tots posted:

Couple of standbys from my Google Doc:

Beef Stroganoff

Umami Pot Roast

Chicken piccata

Yogurt

Pierogi casserole

Buttery lemon chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

It's recipes like the hamburger helper-style stroganoff and chicken picatta that makes me hate the instant pot bloggers. There is literally no time or effort saved in either of those meals by pressure cooking. Zero. Noodles and boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets don't benefit in being pressure cooked in any way. What's the drat point besides "oh I have a shiny new appliance"?