Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No, no, proper procedures for whistleblowers have been implemented and are very important.
*Complaints office looks suspiciously like a containment cube*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Just don’t be a squeaky wheel - after trying to form a bioethics committee I was exposed to a suspicious number of high-risk combat situations.

:catstare:

Also I am pleased to see that the security station works better than advertised.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Just don’t be a squeaky wheel - after trying to form a bioethics committee I was exposed to a suspicious number of high-risk combat situations.

Your service will be eternally memorialized and it's incredibly unfortunate you became bransucked and had to be summarily executed for the good of humanity. X-Com will provide financial assistance to the city's downtrodden in the form of the Ponderous Saxon Memorial Job Fair, so that others may follow in your footsteps and hopefully not even die or become abominations unfit for life.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

:catstare:

Also I am pleased to see that the security station works better than advertised.

The security station is cool because you can bring guys up to the upper level to support fire, or if someone gets hurt or is a nerd they can cower in the basement in safety.

Alright let's try this poo poo again. If we get attacked again I'll do a realtime and try to get coherent gifs and keep our guys outta death. Also anyone who's even injured has to bail with the science department, hanging out in real time is a death sentence.

I'm gonna begin redoing the base so that the garage is better isolated, and we might as well start that immediately because it'll take a week to finish. Seriously, at least in real time, security stations radically change things to our favor. If we can trick those rocket guys into entering a security station instead of hanging out where they can take even pot shots at us I think they'll be immediately neutered. Psi also seems extremely powerful in realtime, or maybe our muties are just getting to be really good at it.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The security station is cool because you can bring guys up to the upper level to support fire, or if someone gets hurt or is a nerd they can cower in the basement in safety.

You're all welcome btw. The agents were mad when we just strapped a couple of pistols we found to some security cameras and called it a "security station" (it was 4:30pm on a Friday) but NOW look who's hunkering down beneath its protective fire.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dong Quixote posted:

You're all welcome btw. The agents were mad when we just strapped a couple of pistols we found to some security cameras and called it a "security station" (it was 4:30pm on a Friday) but NOW look who's hunkering down beneath its protective fire.

This was, in retrospect, a good idea, but I still maintain that giving it a speech chip and having it tell us to kill our family every time we pass by is going to have a snowball effect on morale.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

This was, in retrospect, a good idea, but I still maintain that giving it a speech chip and having it tell us to kill our family every time we pass by is going to have a snowball effect on morale.

One of the other techs told me he took a nap in the security station and woke up hours later covered in someone else's blood. :ohdear:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright, so they did attack again. Most nerds are right by the exit, but there's a group down by the alien containment zone who would have to run through the garage to get out. I'm gonna have them hunker down. Pop fly will guard them.

So it also does seem like they will come in thu the access lift. I make the nearby nerds jump into the security station basement and it does a good job keeping them safeish. Dunno what we're gonna do with the rest of them, the biolab isn't as safe a place to hide.
https://i.imgur.com/C2Pcgdg.gifv

It's pretty hectic. Big Beef City eats a rocket and is seriously wounded. The security station provides enough cover that he lives, so I have him bail. HBar doesn't give a gently caress about nothing and shoots his own rocket. Seems pretty dangerous so I have him drop it and focus on psi.
https://i.imgur.com/b9Ie2Wx.gifv

Paradoxically these nerds need to be set to aggressive, otherwise they'll keep trying to take cover.
The nerds down with Pop Fly are still secure by alien containment.

BBC eats a few shots but seems like he's getting away
https://i.imgur.com/oK860oI.gifv
Graa just stands there and dies, even though I ordered them to follow Beef out.

After that the wrap up isn't so bad:
https://i.imgur.com/05IItxd.gifv

Loot is not so hot. Guns, little bit of ammo. Few of what we need tho.

pre:
        _.---,._,'
       /' _.--.<
         /'     `'                  "they didn't move the graves!
       /' _.---.____               they just moved the headstones!!
       \.'   ___, .-'`                          /   Why! Why!?"
           /'    \\                          (.\
         /'       `-.                        |/(\                   ',_.,---._
 X-COM  |                                     \ \\                    >.--._  \
Memorial|      .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~" "'\   .-'~~~`-.            '\
Landfill|    .' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `. ____.---._ '\
        |    |   Free    ||  Resting  ||Brazillian-|| Honky Dong,'-.  `___  './
        |    |  Hubcaps  || B1tchface || peanutwar ||  Country  |   //    '\
        |    |FELL  700FT||BRAINSUCKED||BRAINSUCKED||BRAINSUCKED|.-,        '\
         \ \\|  0 Kills  ||  1 Kill   ||  0 Kills  || 16 Kills  |             |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|
  .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.  |
.' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  p `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `.|
|  Away all || Yvershek  || Harveygod ||  Sammus   ||  Jawdins  || a hole-y  ||
|   Goats   ||           ||           ||           ||           ||   ghost   ||
| BLOWN UP  || BLOWN UP  || VAPORIZED || VAPORIZED || BLED OUT  || VAPORIZED ||
|  4 Kills  ||  9 Kills  || 10 Kills  || 10 Kills  ||  6 Kills  ||16 Projects/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  _.---,._,'    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.  
/' _.--.< .    ' R  I  P `..' R  I  p `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `.
  /'     `'   |  Senekr   || Electric  ||  Waffle   || Ponderous ||   Graa    |
/' _.---.____ |           ||   Sheep   ||   House   ||   Saxon   ||           |
\.'   ___, .-'` BLOWN UP  || BLOWN UP  || VAPORIZED ||EVISCERATED|| BLOWN UP  |
    /'    \\  |  2 Kills  || 10 Kills  || 13 Kills  ||  4 Kills  ||13 Projects|
  /'^^^^^^^`-.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 | .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.    .-'~~~`-.  
 |' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  p `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `..' R  I  P `.
 |           ||           ||           ||           ||           ||           |
  \^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We hire a new Engineer, mindstorm. Ex Energen.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

"Graa, you were like a son to me. In a very real, and legally binding way."
*dumps Graa's footlocker into a sack*

"Team, you knew this wouldn't be easy when you signed up. You knew there would be dangers. Face them, and come out stronger."
*surreptitiously begins searching Psyche job board for engineering positions*

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

just lol if you have a family. My family died *pauses with eyes glazed for 4 seconds* a long time ago. Long...uh...long *pauses again, shakes violently* before I joined xcom.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Son of a bitch! Do you know how hard it is to remove these scorch marks from the walls?

I'll give you a hint: it's pretty loving difficult!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also lol that BBC was bullshitting a Strangelove gimmick and now looks like the guy by getting repeatedly blown up & plasma'd

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hey guys, i'm kind of out of things to sniff here at the bio lab. Got any of those giblets??

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Also lol that BBC was bullshitting a Strangelove gimmick and now looks like the guy by getting repeatedly blown up & plasma'd

We can only hope that the final rocket he eats in this bloodbath of a war will carry him straight into the SUN

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it kinda sucks that Graa died, because that was our only guy who had this:

Def one of the top tier rad faces imo

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .
So robots (like me) don't improve at all over time? More or less damage sponges?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Robits generally have really good stats even as rookies, but they can't improve over time like how organics can.

It could be the last mission in the game and a robot who got hired five minutes before might be equally as good as the 20 day hard rear end motherfuckers who had three missions per day the whole game. Or some hero organic could surpass all robots thru tru grit.

Just the way it rolls. Robots are inherently good to live in ancillary bases that are focused on tech or production because building training facilities world be less than optimal anyway.

I wouldn't say out of hand they're "only" damage sponges because it's closer to hiring a terminator when the other options are Jr league softball. Even though we got a couple robot agents who died, if it was all organic there would be more deaths. Noobs profoundly suck poo poo, and even our highest level psionicists are straight up abysmal in terms of regular combat skills.

I think our weakest robot has literally twice the speed and hp as our best mutant, but I'd have to look it up to be sure. I think androids are either immune or extremely resistant to getting brainsucked on top of being fully immune to psi attacks (we've never fought a psi using enemy so that prob isn't a big deal). (Also it seems like brain sucking is a mechanically different but I don't really know for sure)

As a side note HBar for sure is becoming a mutant with good combat stats, kinda breaking the mold for him. Usually mutants are ultra weak and can't hold poo poo for kit, but him lugging those missiles around has made him comparatively ripped.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If the sentient engine liberation front is to believed, androids are real people who only happen to be synthetic, and it's believable. They prob need like modified personality matrices to change their stats.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
So what now, chief?

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

As a side note HBar for sure is becoming a mutant with good combat stats, kinda breaking the mold for him. Usually mutants are ultra weak and can't hold poo poo for kit, but him lugging those missiles around has made him comparatively ripped.

Wait so what is the point of having mutants?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Deadbeat Poetry posted:

Wait so what is the point of having mutants?

They're the psychics. They're not mutants so much as a hybrid of human and sectoid which is where they get their powers. (Sectoids are short little psychic greys.)

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Honky Dong Country posted:

They're the psychics. They're not mutants so much as a hybrid of human and sectoid which is where they get their powers. (Sectoids are short little psychic greys.)
Can humans ever become psychics or only mutants can?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah they can cross train. Only difference is starting stats and face. Regular human psi stats are usually about as bad as mutant combat stats. If we ever do have to fight psionicists it may be important to back off the humans and bring robots and mutants forward.

It's nearly trivial for our guys to mind control regular humans.
With significant training time a human could do this too, and we are probably going to cross train someone over to mirror HBar.

The Cubelodyte posted:

So what now, chief?

I was gonna ff, but the alien inflation graph is getting really fuckin bad like our missions are hardly slowing these fucks down. Barely dented them. I'll throw up some options a little later this afternoon

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

nnnotime posted:

Can humans ever become psychics or only mutants can?

Okay nitty gritty mechanic chat

There's about a dozen stats characters can have. Every time a stat is "exercised" in game there's a {max - current} in {max} chance that the stat will improve by 1.

For most stats "Max" is a full bar, but for the 3 PSI stats, Max is triple starting value.

Humans with real good base PSI can be good, but generally are bad.

Mutants have like a 60% of not getting exercise improvement on non-psi stats. As in first they have the {max - current} in {max} roll THEN a second 4 in 10 roll to actually gain one point.

Androids have a 99% loss rate or something insane, but CAN technically improve.

Training "exercises" every relevant stat once per day.

Combat stats like aim are exercised by combat, but PSI only improves by training

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ikanreed posted:

For most stats "Max" is a full bar, but for the 3 PSI stats, Max is triple starting value.

Mutants have like a 60% of not getting exercise improvement on non-psi stats. As in first they have the {max - current} in {max} roll THEN a second 4 in 10 roll to actually gain one point.

Androids have a 99% loss rate or something insane, but CAN technically improve.

this is bullshit and I demand to tspeak tto the manager.

Also, either my version of the game works weird, or your description of how training works is off or the way psi improves is off. Walrus started 14 days ago with 29 psi attack, so hypothetically the max improvement should be 43. But he actually has 45.

alright so this is getting pretty rough here. We're gonna need to do something. Diablo is now at 20% alien influenced. Osiron is 16% & the cops are at I think 8%

Choose an Option:
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Psyke
  2. Blow up some buildings:
    a) The Cult
    b) Psyke
  3. Investigate:
    a) Diablo
    b) Osiron
    c) Megapol
  4. Get more / better agents
  5. Get more / better vehicles
  6. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research

We are getting a little low on cash, so if we want to hire some people we'll have to sell off some junk. We do have a decent amount and can probably hire a few people no problem.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Investigate diablo and osiron so we're at least doing poo poo while we wait for payday.

If we happen to acquire some stuff during the investigations even better.

Also I reckon that alien shield thing will be worth a lot once it's researched and those losers in engineering make a few.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Investigate the gangs, who cares if they get angry when we hit up the wrong building.

Also, either my version of the game works weird, or your description of how training works is off or the way psi improves is off. Walrus started 14 days ago with 29 psi attack, so hypothetically the max improvement should be 43. But he actually has 45.
Wouldn't the max be 87?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Investigate everyone who has been infiltrated, in descending order of severity of infiltration.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mean according to my reading of ikanreed's post he would be able to gain at most 14 points (that's rolling 14 successes in a row from training), but he actually gained 16, so two extras came from somewhere that's not accounted

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Oh, right. Good thing I don't have to actually be smart to use psi powers.

Aww yeah, check me out. I'm hitting the gym all day so I can hit things with my rocket all night.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If we have the manpower for it, 3a and 3b. 20% is uncomfortably high and if Diablo keeps trending like that we're going to lose our only ally (besides the Senate) really quickly. And I don't think the Senate will shoot at poo poo in the Cityscape. Also still rooting for 5 since we need to be capable of destroying more alien ships then we currently are. We're just scratching their paint right now, it seems.

What does our agent pool look like right now with regards to injury?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I mean according to my reading of ikanreed's post he would be able to gain at most 14 points (that's rolling 14 successes in a row from training), but he actually gained 16, so two extras came from somewhere that's not accounted

I did oversimplify that: an exercise event can actually raise 1-3 points, but I've forgotten the rules for when it's more than one.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Investigate my old Diablo bros, and hire and sell. Will be nice to check out the old stomping grounds (don't worry: I won't shoot you in the back intentionally).

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

VikingofRock posted:

Investigate everyone who has been infiltrated, in descending order of severity of infiltration.

I concur with this.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Time and time again we have to clean up messes in the backyards of other able-bodied militias. I want to believe it's because they don't realize they're infiltrated, but in my heart I know the truth. We're the 3 AM booty call when Grav League or Nutrivend won't hang out. Just say you thought you saw a worm and we'll run right over. This has to stop.

Help the cops and forget the rest. They'll be begging to be friends again once a poop ship shoots out the load-bearing dumpster holding up their slum

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Help cops, buy bio more strippers

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
right, so, our guys.

Wounded Guys:
Pop Fly, Blue Train, Chillgamesh
The Cubelodyte, William Henry Hairtaint
Deadbeat Poetry, Hbar, Fenrir
Single and LOVING IT, Gridlocked
reality_groove, Grem

This is basically half our guys are out of commission. Gridlocked in particular is turbofucked still.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

We really need to investigate Diablo, 20% of members sympathize with the aliens, which is 20% too many.

I'd also like to help bolster our low numbers and transfer to the field agent division.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dong Quixote posted:

Help the cops and forget the rest. They'll be begging to be friends again once a poop ship shoots out the load-bearing dumpster holding up their slum

This was funny and all, but I’m pretty sure the game mechanics don’t work like that.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
How bad is it for the reputation with an org if you check them for aliens and there are no aliens? The game flat out says they are mad at you, but how significant is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

SnotGrumble posted:

How bad is it for the reputation with an org if you check them for aliens and there are no aliens? The game flat out says they are mad at you, but how significant is it?

Difficulty dependent, I think?

I've seen allies stay allied after a couple false accusations on novice, but drop to neutral instantly on expert.

The numbers driving it are hidden in game and you'd have to do side by side examinations of save files to know for sure

• Locked thread