Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Corek posted:

Isn't Yooka-Laylee... not a good game

Its a very mediocre game that didn't live up to its hype at all. Its not terrible but nobody would care about it if it wasn't made by old Rare employees (that are washed up and bad at game design)/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Corek posted:

That's true but maybe it's a good speedgame

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

Watching bad games be played quickly is probably the best way to experience them, tbh.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Yo this timer is making me nervous. Unless he does some really crazy stuff 10 minutes seems really short for the last 2 segments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but according to game journalists its "Newgrounds graphics" and automatically bad.

The backgrounds don't mesh with the character animations particularly well. It is bad art design.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Mickely3 posted:

Deepnest

Welp.....

Um.......

This run WAS adorable...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Deepnest is terrifying the first time you go there, especially if you haven't upgraded your nail.

Lost in the dark surrounded by screeching nightmare bugs.

Random Stranger posted:

The backgrounds don't mesh with the character animations particularly well. It is bad art design.

No.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
How did I miss that this is up and running? I’m deeply ashamed

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Sonic games are the perfect example of that. I have never played a single Sonic game but they are my favorite games to watch other people play.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hello thread. I voted checkbox, as any goon with any loving sense does. I appreciate the couch's look this winter. it's flowing just enough to have some cool texture, but it accentuates her shape well. Red is always bold, but classic, of course, but the jaunty pose and lack of accessories really speak to the attitude of GDQ this year. It's fresh, it's the same, and very fashionable.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Corek posted:

it is a perfect recreation of Banjo-Kazooie's mechanics

which were made in the early days of 3d collectathons

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's me, the rube, the utter imbecile who thinks this game would look better in a 16-bit pixellated style

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Uhhh

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Deepnest is a place of nightmares

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Deepnest is a place of nightmares

And he doesn't have the lantern.....

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Avskum posted:

How did I miss that this is up and running? I’m deeply ashamed

What I do is go through the runs the day before and add them to my calendar...

GEEZ I hate this place... Deepnest is creepy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that last area looks like a pretty scary place during a casual run

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Corek posted:

Correct my good watson but bad games absolutely do not exclude them from being good speed games and vice versa where good games do not guarantee them being good speed games. The choice is your on if you want to tune in or not.

Also, A Hat In Time is 100000x better than Yooka in every way and absolutely scratches that itch if you were once interested in trying Yooka Laylee

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I've got the itch to start picking up some of these tricks for the next time I run through HK.

BTW, if you havn't played this game, it's good, you should get it.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Corek posted:

People wanted a Banjo Kazooie remake and that's what they got. But then people realized Banjo Kazooie wasn't a good game...

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Octatonic posted:

Hello thread. I voted checkbox, as any goon with any loving sense does. I appreciate the couch's look this winter. it's flowing just enough to have some cool texture, but it accentuates her shape well. Red is always bold, but classic, of course, but the jaunty pose and lack of accessories really speak to the attitude of GDQ this year. It's fresh, it's the same, and very fashionable.

I like the cut of your jib.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

Also, A Hat In Time is 100000x better than Yooka in every way and absolutely scratches that itch if you were once interested in trying Yooka Laylee

as someone who loves 3D platformers, A Hat in Time is some of the most fun I've had in years

it's so good

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

beep by grandpa posted:

Correct my good watson but bad games absolutely do not exclude them from being good speed games and vice versa where good games do not guarantee them being good speed games. The choice is your on if you want to tune in or not.

Two examples of good speedruns but terrible games are Sonic 2006 and Sonic Boom. Coincidentally, both of them are sonic games. Sonic games tend to make good speedruns. I look forward to seeing Sonic Forces Speedruns in the future.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we're about to see someone gently caress up F-Zero

gonna own

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Kinda sad there's no touch for this dude. There's no generic couch team, or does he have no friends?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

eonwe posted:

gonna own

Hell yeah

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

People wanted a Banjo Kazooie remake and that's what they got. But then people realized Banjo Kazooie wasn't a good game...

Banjo still is a pretty good game, Yooka Laylee is not. Nuts and Bolts remains the best Banjo game.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

beep by grandpa posted:

Correct my good watson but bad games absolutely do not exclude them from being good speed games and vice versa where good games do not guarantee them being good speed games.

See Also: Awful Games Done Quick block.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RedMagus posted:

Kinda sad there's no touch for this dude. There's no generic couch team, or does he have no friends?

tbh he doesnt need it, hes keeping up the commentary pretty well

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

RedMagus posted:

Maybe the empty couch is the reflection of the Hollow aspect of Hollow Knight in some form of symbolism.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

These people did not replay Donkey Kong 64 and thus did not remember how bad the Collect-a-Thon style of gameplay could be and was.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Nuts and Bolts remains the best Banjo game.

:thunk:

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Two examples of good speedruns but terrible games are Sonic 2006 and Sonic Boom. Coincidentally, both of them are sonic games. Sonic games tend to make good speedruns. I look forward to seeing Sonic Forces Speedruns in the future.

So much room for donation incentives with the Sonic OCs. :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

eonwe posted:

gonna own

Unless something major has changed in the last year, the F-Zero GX run is just going to be a dude mashing L+R for half an hour. Every racing game run is bad.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
I love how the final boss presents a challenge to the runner. How a speedrun should be. Love this fight.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Your Computer posted:

as someone who loves 3D platformers, A Hat in Time is some of the most fun I've had in years

it's so good

Yeah girl! I just finished it last night and I was playing it with some friends out of town for new years who aren't gamers and they were totally sucked into its cuteness and cleverness. Great game.

It has to tide me over until I can afford a switch for odyssey later this year :negative:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Corek posted:

Donkey Kong 64 isn't either so

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Hollow Knight owns

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

How do you mess up the timer not once but twice after the runner says when to stop

Edit: great run tho, love Hollow Night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

I love how the final boss presents a challenge to the runner. How a speedrun should be. Love this fight.

That's not the real final boss :v:

• Locked thread