Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

like for instance one common parisian expression is to call a convenience store a rebeu, which is verlan slang for "arabe" because that's who runs the convenience stores. duh

from what i understand the connotation of "rebeu" is something like "towelhead" in english

Sagebrush posted:

this is true of every language everywhere though. it's funny and charming when someone tries their best to speak your language and makes entertaining fuckups (like, in india i kept asking waiters where was the bathroom but later learned i was just asking where was the poopy, like a little kid) and it's insulting when someone comes up and starts blabbing at you in foreign and expecting you to understand.

in india english is one of the national languages tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

from what i understand the connotation of "rebeu" is something like "towelhead" in english

in india english is one of the national languages tho?

yes. and you will hear people using it in casual conversation, on the radio, etc

and yea it is but it's still the second or third language for most people in india and a lot can only pick through a few words. so i tried my best like a thoughtful traveller and later found that the hindi word for "washroom" is "washroom" with a hindi accent

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh good the Americans are talking about what Europe is like again.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

you should help us out by telling us what america is like

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

americans make comparative racist stereotype jokes like this, but europeans make comparative racist stereotype jokes like this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CommunistPancake posted:

you should help us out by telling us what america is like

doomed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
europe is a country because they have a central bank and a president

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
in college there were two french exchange students in my intro comp sci class and they always wanted to copy my work. one was a cute girl but she was annoying and kind of smelled a little. at a restaurant one of them randomly asked me to read "cabernet savignon" from the wine menu but he had nothing to say when i pronounced it properly

only belgian i met was chill, funny, and made fun of the french

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
like most things in america, the racism that americans have is a diluted, bland form of the original version

if you want real, breathtaking and unabashed racism you gotta get it straight from the european source

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

it consists of three countries: France, Quebec, and Africa

parts of louisiana maybe?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

have some brands

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

in college there were two french exchange students in my intro comp sci class and they always wanted to copy my work. one was a cute girl but she was annoying and kind of smelled a little. at a restaurant one of them randomly asked me to read "cabernet savignon" from the wine menu but he had nothing to say when i pronounced it properly

only belgian i met was chill, funny, and made fun of the french

we had two french exchange students living in my dorm in second year of college

they spent most of their time mocking the quebecois' accents. they only ate frozen chicken fingers and canned soup, regularly left the stove burners glowing red hot all night, and killed my roommate's plants by pouring his mouthwash into the pots

A+, fuckers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

(A+ is french slang for "see you later")

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

if you want real, breathtaking and unabashed racism you gotta get it straight from the european source

i would like to point out that pan-asian racism, while often overlooked by the west, is some real pro-tier stuff as well

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

this is true of every language everywhere though. it's funny and charming when someone tries their best to speak your language and makes entertaining fuckups (like, in india i kept asking waiters where was the bathroom but later learned i was just asking where was the poopy, like a little kid) and it's insulting when someone comes up and starts blabbing at you in foreign and expecting you to understand.

exception: dutch

"i speak english, i'm not an idiot"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dutch people make canadians look humble and gregarious though

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

have some brands

was convinced this couldn't possibly be real. welp, wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

the thing i've noticed about european racism is that it's no worse than american racism, but they are much more open about it. in america people generally know what things they aren't supposed to say in public, even if they continue to hold those beliefs privately and talk about them with other racists. europeans just don't give a gently caress

like for instance one common parisian expression is to call a convenience store a rebeu, which is verlan slang for "arabe" because that's who runs the convenience stores. duh

or, like, french kids drink this stuff for breakfast

and whooo wee you do not want to get them started on the gypsies

you are a rich white couple from texas and the french loving love american cowboys. despite their air of superiority about americans they all smoke marlboros and wear levis and want to visit the wild west

I've heard the French love trucker country music lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

exception: dutch

"i speak english, i'm not an idiot"

apparently there are parts of belgium where even belgians will open with english because speaking the wrong one of their three official languages will get you a quick stabbing, or at least some extra flem (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) in your food order.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

this is a common brand of margarine in poland, straight from my home town :poland:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

everyone in france was super nice to me after i made an effort to speak some french to them

thanks, years of louisiana french indoctrination

I have like 4 semesters of French and yet even loving Starbucks employees would pretend they couldn't understand when I'd ask "une café au lait s'il vous plait".

Paris had a really weird vibe though. We got there like 2 weeks after a terror attack and another one happened a week after we left, and it was during the election campaign. The whole city just seemed tense and bitchy. Meanwhile Brussels had soldiers actively patrolling the street and yet people were eager to compliment my French and help us out. Maybe Parisians don't handle stress well?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The accidents of brain evolution that for us to this place basically are going to prevent us from advancing further. Lmao

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

when we have these awesome euroracist discussions about 'why can't we say the n word anymore it just means black' around the xmas dinner table with girl's family my eyes go completely black like a shark and she starts setting up for a rear naked choke just in case i go for her brother or stepdad.

also

cis autodrag posted:

I have like 4 semesters of French and yet even loving Starbucks employees would pretend they couldn't understand when I'd ask "une café au lait s'il vous plait".

muckswirler fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 7, 2018

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

spankmeister posted:

Oh good the Americans are talking about what Europe is like again.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Here's my super hot take on what an entire country is like based on the 12 hours I spent there on my "european" vacation where I went to all the tourist hotspots.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

have some brands

the stage where you ask your buddies who do blacksmithing as a hobby how much it would cost to make a guillotine blade

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jre posted:

Here's my super hot take on what an entire country is like based on the 12 hours I spent there on my "european" vacation where I went to all the tourist hotspots.

man you suck at posting

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
ah yes europe, the bastion of the world, where tens of thousands of people die when the temp goes over 20 celsius and the national sport is throwing bananas at black people

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
lol americans/europeans always get so mad when people talk poo poo about their country/continent being a stupid shithole

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ah yes europe, the bastion of the world, where tens of thousands of people die when the temp goes over 20 celsius and the national sport is throwing bananas at black people

Jre only appears in yospos to complain about other people's posting. Don't expect him to actually offer any counter to what people have said about francophone countries. One time in the d&d health care thread he responded to me describing challenges trans people face under the NHS with "yeah well America is worse", lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jre posted:

look at this whiny rear end brummy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk why my fellow britposters are always so sour about everything but i moved to new york and it's fairly enjoyable here i guess

then again i'm white and i hear that helps a lot

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i have both american and french citizenship so i can poo poo on whomever i drat well please with impunity.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I like to gently caress my computer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I like to gently caress my computer.

like you have a luke Skywalker hand or something?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i have both american and french citizenship so i can poo poo on whomever i drat well please with impunity.

trhe terrorists must super-hate you

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

like you have a luke Skywalker hand or something?

Cool Hand Luke

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

trhe terrorists must super-hate you

je suis maga

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Voulez vous douchebag avec moi, ce soir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

every country is racist and lovely in it's own special way, hth.

• Locked thread