Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Nando kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

tuo posted:

Where do you see Sauber next season, with a current Ferrari engine and some money from the recent deal?

Or to rephrase that question: will Haas be last in WCC next year? (I can't imagine that Honda continues to bomb, and sinks Toro Rosso)

Big Sha will beat both Toro Rossos

I guess Mark the phone guy will be there too

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

tuo posted:

Where do you see Sauber next season, with a current Ferrari engine and some money from the recent deal?

Or to rephrase that question: will Haas be last in WCC next year? (I can't imagine that Honda continues to bomb, and sinks Toro Rosso)

It depends if that money came early enough for Sauber to develop the car, and indeed how much money that Alfa deal is actually worth.

Haas have 2 experienced drivers too, wheras Sauber have a rookie and a garbage fire. Williams have also gone the rookie/garbage fire route but have a better engine and probably a better car.

Certainly I can't see Haas beating 8th, because there's no-one left I think they can beat.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes loving sucks

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I don't think the Haas drivers are experienced in the things you'd want.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dudley posted:

It depends if that money came early enough for Sauber to develop the car, and indeed how much money that Alfa deal is actually worth.

Haas have 2 experienced drivers too, wheras Sauber have a rookie and a garbage fire. Williams have also gone the rookie/garbage fire route but have a better engine and probably a better car.

Certainly I can't see Haas beating 8th, because there's no-one left I think they can beat.

I guess the money won't influence the chassis that much because it should have been nearly finished by the time the deal was announced, but I hope they have a bit more money now for in-season development.

Regarding Haas: if the rumor is true that they will field a completely new car, it will be interesting to see how good their engineering department is. IIRC, this should be the first "true" Haas chassis without Dallara influence, shouldn't it?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tuo posted:

I guess the money won't influence the chassis that much because it should have been nearly finished by the time the deal was announced, but I hope they have a bit more money now for in-season development.

Regarding Haas: if the rumor is true that they will field a completely new car, it will be interesting to see how good their engineering department is. IIRC, this should be the first "true" Haas chassis without Dallara influence, shouldn't it?

I’m interested to see what design choices they make, if that’s actually the case. Dallara “designed” the VF16, but they used so many Ferrari components that it effectively dictated every dimension of the car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sauber might beat Toro Rosso next year, I'd be outright shocked if they did more than that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Sauber might beat Toro Rosso next year, I'd be outright shocked if they did more than that.

Are you assuming Toro Rosso will beat Haas?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

No I think Haas is a competent lower midfield team. Sauber blows liquid poo poo and as good as young Charlie is that car is going to be an absolute dog.

Toro Rosso is going to be assfucked by the giant dildo that is a Honda engine. Mclaren was saying that even if the Renault put out the same power it would still be better because the cooling requirements were considerably better and the whole imprint of the package was less.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I’ll bet you a tire Haas finishes last.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Take the bet, 1500.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

Take the bet, 1500.

Someone should double or nothing so he at least gets two new tyres.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I’ll bet you a tire Haas finishes last.

Deal. Easiest tire I've ever gotten.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Deal. Easiest tire I've ever gotten.

It’s gonna be a Lego tire

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If it fits the kart I will use it

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
> 17-18 F1 Off-Season: assfucked by the giant dildo that is a Honda engine

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

> 17-18 F1 Off-Season: assfucked by the giant dildo that is a Honda engine

It’s more like a vibrator IMO

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

It’s gonna be a Lego tire

Well played :golfclap:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wicka posted:

I’m interested to see what design choices they make, if that’s actually the case. Dallara “designed” the VF16, but they used so many Ferrari components that it effectively dictated every dimension of the car.

Dimensions, yes, but dimensions don't net you a good car. Also, the Dallara Haas was totally different - aero wise - from the Ferrari. IIRC, Ferrari supplied engine + gearbox and parts or complete rear suspension (which makes sense, considering the fact that the Ferrari engine+gearbox+rear suspension are developed to go with each other). The rest - at least that's what was written in AMuS quite some time ago - came mainly from Dallara, plus two gazillion different brake discs from four hundred different manufacturers for the french guys car. So imo the success (and I would call it a big success, actually, because they didn't suck like every other new team in F1) of the Haas car is not entirely dependant of them getting Ferrari parts and beeing a de-facto Ferrari junior team (which it looks like they aren't any longer, tbh). It looks like Dallara did a rather good job.

IIRC, Gene Haas said that they want to become independant as soon as possible in regards of car development.

Testing will be interesting.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I didn’t say anything about a good car. Someone wrote an article two years ago listing the wheelbase, rake, etc. of all the 2016 chassis, and the Haas and Ferrari cars were the same. My point is that I’m curious to see what their design philosophy will be once they are given more freedom.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

It�s gonna be a Lego tire

Out of a bin

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

Out of a bin

Well thanks for spoiling it, but yes, my plan was to throw it in my trash for a day or so.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I didn’t say anything about a good car. Someone wrote an article two years ago listing the wheelbase, rake, etc. of all the 2016 chassis, and the Haas and Ferrari cars were the same. My point is that I’m curious to see what their design philosophy will be once they are given more freedom.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The fuckers at Liberty probably want something like that

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

God, “freedom” was a terrible choice of words.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

God, “freedom” was a terrible choice of words.

I'm the twin towers on the rear wing end plates.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm the twin towers on the rear wing end plates.

Holy poo poo I never noticed that

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This is what the A1GP entry should've been.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Holy poo poo I never noticed that

Never forget

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wicka posted:

Okay, got it. It will be interesting indeed. It would surprise me if they go a drastically different route, since they don't have any data to base their setups on. I haven't actively followed what they brought to the last test, only remember their halo beeing covered in a dozen of tiny vortex generators for testing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Adrian Newey: I don't understand that car.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

tuo posted:

Adrian Newey: I don't understand that car.

Because he's not American and thus sane.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

Because he's not American and thus sane.

Yes

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, don't expect anything from Alonso at the stupid dumb American 24 hour event. He's in an noncompetitive slow poo poo out-of-the-top 10 car.

This is why for the good of motorsport we must introduce a spec modular engine for different series needs and spec chassis and aero parts for different classes. People come to see the driver win. They don't give a poo poo about cars or car parts. They want to see Alonso hoist the trophy and that's all that matters.

A tremendous amount of money is dumped into the motorsport industry and that's absolutely ludicrous. Who are these people? What good does it this give to society? None at loving hell. It's just pointless entertainment at a tremendous cost in terms of the environment and a loss of engineering talent which could be exerted in different sectors which matter in life and money that can be re-budgeted towards, say, cancer research or civil engineering for the future to accommodate for climate change. This bizarre, wasteful spending needs to stop. Mercedes' F1 team has something like over 700 staff. Doing what?! There's only TWO loving CARS ON THE TRACK !!!

Contract out an engineering firm, have them develop an engine and a car, and fire everyone else holy poo poo. The amount of money being saved there is ridiculous!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Same

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, don't expect anything from Alonso at the stupid dumb American 24 hour event. He's in an noncompetitive slow poo poo out-of-the-top 10 car.

This is why for the good of motorsport we must introduce a spec modular engine for different series needs and spec chassis and aero parts for different classes. People come to see the driver win. They don't give a poo poo about cars or car parts. They want to see Alonso hoist the trophy and that's all that matters.

A tremendous amount of money is dumped into the motorsport industry and that's absolutely ludicrous. Who are these people? What good does it this give to society? None at loving hell. It's just pointless entertainment at a tremendous cost in terms of the environment and a loss of engineering talent which could be exerted in different sectors which matter in life and money that can be re-budgeted towards, say, cancer research or civil engineering for the future to accommodate for climate change. This bizarre, wasteful spending needs to stop. Mercedes' F1 team has something like over 700 staff. Doing what?! There's only TWO loving CARS ON THE TRACK !!!

Contract out an engineering firm, have them develop an engine and a car, and fire everyone else holy poo poo. The amount of money being saved there is ridiculous!

Yes that was a result of a combination of Ron's fastidious attempts at giving the 2 drivers exact parity (down to a level of detail that should really have been left to the choice of the drivers and their race engineers), Hamilton going rogue and Alonso retaliating. With 2 drivers fighting from the same team for the world title, inevitably one of them saw a loophole and broke ranks - Hamilton. He didn't do his fuel burn-off laps as pre-planned, but went as hard as he could in order to be lighter than Alonso for the quallie laps. So Alonso retaliated by holding him up in the pitlane, preventing him having enough time to get his second quallie lap in. The whole world saw what Alonso did - but it didn't see what had triggered it. It was all set against two drivers fighting for the title, both feeling their efforts were being compromised by Ron. Alonso because he felt Ron had promised him number one status but didn't deliver on that promise, Hamilton because he felt he was being controlled by Ron (and was still mightily hacked off about being called off Alonso at Monaco). Alonso was repeatedly demanding Ron 'do something' to derail Hamilton's title challenge (even suggesting 'run him out of fuel or something', according to a very closely-placed source in the team), Hamilton had heard about this so there was mistrust and paranoia on all sides. Hamilton broke ranks, thereby transitioning from a grateful protege to someone prepared to fight his own corner within the team. There were two bulls in the field, basically - and Ron lost control of them, ironically by trying to control them too closely. That would all have been fine, but for how Alonso reacted afterwards, by threatening to give the FIA the contents of his lap top (about the Ferrari-related industrial espionage) unless Ron 'did something' to derail Hamilton. Although Alonso quickly retracted that threat and apologised, it had led Ron to volunteer information to the FIA that compromised the team. Senior members of McLaren and Merc's Norbert Haug wanted Alonso fired with immediate effect. Ron counselled 'no' - believing that if he did that, Ferrari might offer Alonso to drive for them for the rest of the year and win his title that way. Instead, he was fired after the end of the season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

Human immunodeficiency virus infection and acquired immune deficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS) is a spectrum of conditions caused by infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).[9][10][11] Following initial infection, a person may not notice any symptoms or may experience a brief period of influenza-like illness.[5] Typically, this is followed by a prolonged period with no symptoms.[6] As the infection progresses, it interferes more with the immune system, increasing the risk of common infections like tuberculosis, as well as other opportunistic infections, and tumors that rarely affect people who have working immune systems.[5] These late symptoms of infection are referred to as acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).[6] This stage is often also associated with weight loss.[6]

HIV is spread primarily by unprotected sex (including anal and oral sex), contaminated blood transfusions, hypodermic needles, and from mother to child during pregnancy, delivery, or breastfeeding.[12] Some bodily fluids, such as saliva and tears, do not transmit HIV.[13] Methods of prevention include safe sex, needle exchange programs, treating those who are infected, and male circumcision.[5] Disease in a baby can often be prevented by giving both the mother and child antiretroviral medication.[5] There is no cure or vaccine; however, antiretroviral treatment can slow the course of the disease and may lead to a near-normal life expectancy.[6][7] Treatment is recommended as soon as the diagnosis is made.[14] Without treatment, the average survival time after infection is 11 years.[15]

In 2016 about 36.7 million people were living with HIV and it resulted in 1 million deaths.[16] There were 300,000 fewer new HIV cases in 2016 than in 2015.[17] Most of those infected live in sub-Saharan Africa.[5] Between its discovery and 2014 AIDS has caused an estimated 39 million deaths worldwide.[18] HIV/AIDS is considered a pandemic—a disease outbreak which is present over a large area and is actively spreading.[19] HIV is believed to have originated in west-central Africa during the late 19th or early 20th century.[20] AIDS was first recognized by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 1981 and its cause—HIV infection—was identified in the early part of the decade.[21]

HIV/AIDS has had a great impact on society, both as an illness and as a source of discrimination.[22] The disease also has large economic impacts.[22] There are many misconceptions about HIV/AIDS such as the belief that it can be transmitted by casual non-sexual contact.[23] The disease has become subject to many controversies involving religion including the Catholic Church's position not to support condom use as prevention.[24] It has attracted international medical and political attention as well as large-scale funding since it was identified in the 1980s.[25]

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Human immunodeficiency virus infection and acquired immune deficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS) is a spectrum of conditions caused by infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).[9][10][11] Following initial infection, a person may not notice any symptoms or may experience a brief period of influenza-like illness.[5] Typically, this is followed by a prolonged period with no symptoms.[6] As the infection progresses, it interferes more with the immune system, increasing the risk of common infections like tuberculosis, as well as other opportunistic infections, and tumors that rarely affect people who have working immune systems.[5] These late symptoms of infection are referred to as acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).[6] This stage is often also associated with weight loss.[6]

HIV is spread primarily by unprotected sex (including anal and oral sex), contaminated blood transfusions, hypodermic needles, and from mother to child during pregnancy, delivery, or breastfeeding.[12] Some bodily fluids, such as saliva and tears, do not transmit HIV.[13] Methods of prevention include safe sex, needle exchange programs, treating those who are infected, and male circumcision.[5] Disease in a baby can often be prevented by giving both the mother and child antiretroviral medication.[5] There is no cure or vaccine; however, antiretroviral treatment can slow the course of the disease and may lead to a near-normal life expectancy.[6][7] Treatment is recommended as soon as the diagnosis is made.[14] Without treatment, the average survival time after infection is 11 years.[15]

In 2016 about 36.7 million people were living with HIV and it resulted in 1 million deaths.[16] There were 300,000 fewer new HIV cases in 2016 than in 2015.[17] Most of those infected live in sub-Saharan Africa.[5] Between its discovery and 2014 AIDS has caused an estimated 39 million deaths worldwide.[18] HIV/AIDS is considered a pandemic—a disease outbreak which is present over a large area and is actively spreading.[19] HIV is believed to have originated in west-central Africa during the late 19th or early 20th century.[20] AIDS was first recognized by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 1981 and its cause—HIV infection—was identified in the early part of the decade.[21]

HIV/AIDS has had a great impact on society, both as an illness and as a source of discrimination.[22] The disease also has large economic impacts.[22] There are many misconceptions about HIV/AIDS such as the belief that it can be transmitted by casual non-sexual contact.[23] The disease has become subject to many controversies involving religion including the Catholic Church's position not to support condom use as prevention.[24] It has attracted international medical and political attention as well as large-scale funding since it was identified in the 1980s.[25]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not very good posts,all.

• Locked thread