Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Also a game about exploring a new galaxy but literally every place you go people have already been there.

sounds like it could be a fun metaphor for european explorers finding 'the new world' and acting like they own all that poo poo now despite the fact that other civilizations have already lived there for a long rear end time

but i take it andromeda's story isn't even that clever :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

nah it was just checkpoints for me,there was quite a few times where i'd be checkpointed 3 feet away from a trigen mid swing,very annoying.

They definitely added quicksave in a patch. It doesn’t save Trigens from being the absolute worst. I remember one level where I’m would kill me with rockets as soon as the level loaded.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Final Fantasy XIV: The Fisher class is abysmally designed compared to anything else like it, and every adjacent mechanic suffers for it.

FFXIV has three 'gatherer' classes: Miner, Botanist, and Fisher. Miner and Botanist work the same way, and that way is admittedly simple: you click on a node, and a menu opens for what item you want to get, with rate of success and chance of a high-quality item dependent on your Gathering and Perception stats respectively. There's also little bonuses to those stats as well as stuff like how much you get from a node depending on your other stats, and you can use some skills to increase your chance of success/HQ item for a node. It's ultimately very simple, but it's all very transparent and sort of calming. You want ten pieces of HQ mythril ore, you're going to get them,and with the numbers it gives you you have a pretty good idea of how long it's gonna take. You've also got a Gatherer's Log that gives you the zone and region for every item you can gather, so ultimately you have all the information you need within the game itself.

But Fisher... ooh boy. While everything about mining and botany is very transparent and straightforward, every single thing about fishing is obscured. For starters, the Fishing Log is not automatically filled out like the Gatherer's Log, you only learn where a fish is when you catch it there. In fact you don't even know exactly where the fishing spots are until you find them, while miners and botanists get a handy radar skill. And then you take into account bait: each fish only responds to certain kinds of bait, and the process of figuring out which one is trial and error. That trial and error stops if you just check online of course, which you absolutely will, because what types of bait the fish responds to is not recorded anywhere in the game. Also, the bait is an actual item you need to buy and have in your inventory, so fishing is both more expensive and inventory-intensive than the other gatherer classes who only need their equipped items. As for actually catching the fish, what fish you catch (that responds to the type of bait you have in the fishing spot you're at) is entirely random, so if you want three carp you're gonna end up with like four different types of other fish as well by the end, and you have no assurance of when exactly you're gonna catch the three carp you actually want. Gathering and Perception matters for Fishers, too, I'm just not sure how because nothing about Fisher explains itself.

Of course, the immediate response to this is 'well this is all just one part of the game, if you don't like it don't do fishing', but it's kinda not that easy. The fish you catch are used in crafting recipes for the crafting classes; mostly Culinarian to make food that provides stat bonuses, but they're also used for oils and glues that you need for making equipment. But because Fisher is bullshit, barely anybody does it, and that means barely anybody is actually selling the spoils of fishing that other classes actually want, so the prices are inflated, especially for the fish you need to make glues and oils (or the glues and oils themselves). And while for mining and botany it's ultimately a small task to go mine your own ore/chop down your own trees, catching your own fish is a TON more arduous, so getting your own materials instead of buying them becomes much more difficult.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jan 7, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Far Cry 1 has some really good missions in the second half so it's definitely worth finishing but by god the trigens suck

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: The Fisher class is abysmally designed compared to anything else like it, and every adjacent mechanic suffers for it.
Look at it this way: Fisher gives you resources for Culinarian, which is by far the most expensive, useless, and tedious of the crafting classes. So it's all bad.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I got Far cry 1 on GOG over christmas and i was really enjoying it,right up until the story shits itself and now your fighting DOOM reject monsters and then the designers just throw 20 at a time at you,one of them alone can 2 shot you but when you're in cramped corridors you'll die 60 times and want to throw yourself off a cliff, oh and the ending sucks.But it's a pretty game to look at considering it's 14 years old.

The game was great when it was just me fighting mercenaries in the jungle and seeing how their AI would try and stalk me.

I remember feeling the same about Perfect Dark on the N64. The later levels weren't bad, but the game was definitely less fun once you stopped shooting humans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

I remember feeling the same about Perfect Dark on the N64. The later levels weren't bad, but the game was definitely less fun once you stopped shooting humans.

The alien guns more than made up for it though. I liked the reaper, where it was a Gatling gun in primary fire and a face-shredder melee weapon in secondary.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: The Fisher class

Going form 60-70 loving sucked cause it felt like all the Stormblood fishing nodes just had a solid 33% chance to just go "gently caress you" and you catch nothing. Trying to do the level 63 fisher quest I kept losing my bites so I decided gently caress it, ground up to 70, and I already had level 70 crafters so I made myself a set of high quality level 70 gear and rod. I came back to do the level 63 quest...

It got away!

Also speaking of FF14 fishing quests, you know whats more fun about RNG? RNG on top of RNG. And why stop there? RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG! Hope you catch a high quality leech so you can mooch it to try and catch a high quality minnow and mooch THAT and hope you get a high quality piranha, and hoo boy isn't FF14 RNG the most forgiving of RNG!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Leal posted:

and hoo boy isn't FF14 RNG the most forgiving of RNG!

It usually is, is the thing. Crafting and gathering classes have to deal with a lot of imperfect success chances, but you've got tools to mitigate that; you've got stuff like Steady Hands for the crafting classes, and skills that increase gathering/HQ chance for gatherers... except in the case of Fisher, which has both the worst, most opaque RNG and a total lack of tools to tip it in your favor.

With crafting and the other gathering classes, the worst I can say about FFXIV's RNG is that it seems like it gets 'stuck' a lot, you'll get some mathematically improbable streaks. But at least they go both ways, Fisher's RNG is both worse and more malicious.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Jan 7, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sunswipe posted:

I felt the same way about F.E.A.R.,the military baddies were great to fight but the ghosts and monsters were boring as gently caress.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
F.E.A.R. had some of my favorite gunplay in any shooter. I think it took a lot of tuning to feel right, though, because I didn't enjoy Extraction Point or the sequel to nearly the same degree, even though they weren't that different (Extraction Point in particular, they just added a little more health to each enemy and made their squads a bit larger, and that somehow totally spoiled it.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I felt the same way about F.E.A.R.,the military baddies were great to fight but the ghosts and monsters were boring as gently caress.

It's ironic that the selling point of the original FEAR is the spooky stuff, but the most fondly remembered aspect is the enemy squad AI.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

It sounds like Fishing is a great way to make some cash if you take the time to use guides and deal with RNG.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

It sounds like Fishing is a great way to make some cash if you take the time to use guides and deal with RNG.
It is. My girlfriend made a ton off it while getting all the crafting and gathering classes to max level. It's frustrating if you want a specific reward or achievement though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nice humblebrag about having a girlfriend.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Who What Now posted:

Honestly, this is why I'm suffering through it, because once you get to a certain level (past where most people give up and into where fish are actually needed for non-Culinarian crafting) it is straight profit like nothing else in the game. But you have to get there first.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i hope you're at least like, catching up on some netflix or animes while you do this

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

sounds like it could be a fun metaphor for european explorers finding 'the new world' and acting like they own all that poo poo now despite the fact that other civilizations have already lived there for a long rear end time

but i take it andromeda's story isn't even that clever :v:

It's dumber than that. No, almost everywhere you go is someplace humans (or the other Milky Way aliens) have already been. Two of the major worlds you 'explore' are places that already have established colonies before you arrived. The other two are a world where the Andromeda aliens already live, and one where there were two failed Milky Way colonies.

The driving plot of the first half of the game, of course, is that the PC is literally the only person who can found new colonies, because of the computer powers you inherit from your Dad.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I enjoy FFXIV's fishing, but then I only do it to pass the time while I'm stuck in queues for the Duty Finder. What level do you need to be for it to make money? I'm around 25, I think.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's ironic that the selling point of the original FEAR is the spooky stuff, but the most fondly remembered aspect is the enemy squad AI. best shotgun in video gaming history.

Fixed that for you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dilb posted:

The other two are a world where the Andromeda aliens already live, and one where there were two failed Milky Way colonies.

Didn't they try to colonize an irradiated desert? Twice?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well if no one else wants it... :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The more I play Andromeda the more irritated at how...bland it is. Sets up a lot of systems and potential, but then turns it all into fetch quests and collectibles. As pointed out earlier even the central concept of forging new worlds is undone by everyone being there already and your contribution getting restricted to a bar increasing on the UI.

Though it's nowhere near the same scale, at least the Division had your home base tidy up a bit!

Multiplayer fun. The campaign is just such a waste.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In the Deus Ex series, security computers that are easy to get to but hard to find. So if you know that it's just over there, you can easily sneak past the guards, cameras, robots, etc. to hack the thing and make them all fight each other. But if you don't know it's there in advance then you don't think to look there until after you've already killed everyone yourself.

It should be the other way around, I think. You should be able to pretty easily see or figure out where the security computer is but make it more of a puzzle to work out how to get to it without being spotted.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Like the original Thief. "Hey, are you having fun sneaking around, knocking out guards and stealing everything that's not nailed down? Great, here's some catacombs full of zombies and spiders. gently caress it, we'll throw in some dinosaurs that spit acid as well, why the hell not"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Fallout 4 is feeling kind of shallow. So far, it's mostly just go to this place and kill all of what's there. I've seen some cool potential set pieces, like the combat arena where you get Cait, but it seems like there's very little going on in the Commonwealth.

Despite that, I'm still having a lot of fun. It's weird.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Fallout 4 is feeling kind of shallow. So far, it's mostly just go to this place and kill all of what's there. I've seen some cool potential set pieces, like the combat arena where you get Cait, but it seems like there's very little going on in the Commonwealth.

Despite that, I'm still having a lot of fun. It's weird.
For all its problems, Fallout 4 has good gun feel. Grab the reverb mod and it makes gunshots sound great. Some good sound design goes a long way, especially with how many shooters neglect the audio aspect of gunfire.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Pseudohog posted:

Like the original Thief. "Hey, are you having fun sneaking around, knocking out guards and stealing everything that's not nailed down? Great, here's some catacombs full of zombies and spiders. gently caress it, we'll throw in some dinosaurs that spit acid as well, why the hell not"

Did anyone ever play Urban chaos for the ps1? (or PC?)
You played as a black cop lady in union city,you could drive police cars, shoot guns,arrest bad guys and do all kinds of cop things.

Then halfway through the story suddenly a giant orange ape demon monster turns up out of nowhere and suddenly you're fighting men with machinegun arms and disarming nuclear rockets before killing a wizard who's about to destroy the world,bizarre.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pseudohog posted:

I've noticed that in general, human NPCs are much more fun to go up against than monsters and zombies and poo poo. I think this is mostly because monsters just tend to be immune to the more fun and interesting things you can do. All your tools and techniques are designed primarily about how they're going to interact with humans, so there's way less work put into other interactions...and then you'll get levels with nothing but goddamn zombies and god drat it's dumb to throw out all that cool and good gameplay just because they thought you'd get bored with it. It's like if a chef thought you'd get bored of lobster so they tossed you a plate full of overcooked cabbage for variety.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Did anyone ever play Urban chaos for the ps1? (or PC?)
You played as a black cop lady in union city,you could drive police cars, shoot guns,arrest bad guys and do all kinds of cop things.

Then halfway through the story suddenly a giant orange ape demon monster turns up out of nowhere and suddenly you're fighting men with machinegun arms and disarming nuclear rockets before killing a wizard who's about to destroy the world,bizarre.

It was incredible. I kept assuming my version was missing half the cutscenes or something

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was incredible. I kept assuming my version was missing half the cutscenes or something

loving loved that game,way ahead of its time and each level had a poo poo ton of funny NPC dialogue,i still remember the drunk guy on the roof or the suicide jumper and the peds below.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I must have played so, so much of it as a kid. going completely prodromal in the last third aside, it was a really impressive game, especially since this was pre-GTA3. The sheer amount of stuff you could do was years ahead of its time, with all the weird bonus missions playing as different characters and everything.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
As a reverse to human enemies are better than monsters, Dead Space started to hurt when I stopped fighting necromorphs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've kept meaning to play/emulate Urban Chaos again, I remember the PS2 game by the same name being weird and neat as well, fun memories of tasering hockey mask wearing crazy dudes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Operation C.H.I.M.P level in Ape Escape 2 is fun, but really difficult and fairly long, and then it ends in a boss fight. A funny boss fight that redeems Yellow Monkey a bit, but still I'm loving exhausted. The moonbase better not be that long. Also I don't like that Spectre has gone from a calculating genius mastermind to a cackling lunatic - he was never crazy in the first game, but now he's guffawing like an idiot and it's hard to get as invested in the fight against him. His calmer persona in the first game was much more likable/interesting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pseudohog posted:

Doesn't the second mission have you messing around in a cave with zombies and holy water?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

I've kept meaning to play/emulate Urban Chaos again, I remember the PS2 game by the same name being weird and neat as well, fun memories of tasering hockey mask wearing crazy dudes.

It's on GOG. The original game, not the Rocksteady shooter, that is.

ilmucche posted:

Doesn't the second mission have you messing around in a cave with zombies and holy water?

Yup. The zombie-infested mines under the Hammerite prison.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I uninstalled Titan Quest today. The whole playthrough just unraveled when I went to compare my defense stats with helms and the helm I was currently wearing not only had a strength boost that my armor and weapon depended upon so I could use them at the time, but also apparently had a previous strength boost that was applied from some other item so I could wear that helm in the first place. So once I took the helm off, there went my ability to wear armor and wield that weapon, and no ability to put the helm back on.

Unless of course I go shopping and blow my entire savings on some strength boosting jewelry. But great, the stupid merchants across the three towns I've progressed through didn't have any available to boost strength a mere five points to begin with. And then having to travel back and forth browsing through their understrength garbage wares just wasn't worth it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I uninstalled Titan Quest today. The whole playthrough just unraveled when I went to compare my defense stats with helms and the helm I was currently wearing not only had a strength boost that my armor and weapon depended upon so I could use them at the time, but also apparently had a previous strength boost that was applied from some other item so I could wear that helm in the first place. So once I took the helm off, there went my ability to wear armor and wield that weapon, and no ability to put the helm back on.

Unless of course I go shopping and blow my entire savings on some strength boosting jewelry. But great, the stupid merchants across the three towns I've progressed through didn't have any available to boost strength a mere five points to begin with. And then having to travel back and forth browsing through their understrength garbage wares just wasn't worth it.

That sucks and is also hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lead Psychiatry posted:

That's great

Grim Dawn has a similar thing where some equipment give you stats boosts that let you wear other pieces without having the necessary levels, but I thought that was cool.