Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

John Charity Spring posted:

Mandi Domino would make a good mechwarrior name for some periphery pirate.

Or a stripper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zaodai posted:

This is the part that has me worried about the NRWR losing the fight on Andurien if it doesn't win the overall vote. Red Dawn is almost certainly the more interesting fight, and I do trust PTN, but I can't really see a way the NRWR loses their fight on Andurien with their ENTIRE military and the Clans, incompetent they may be at "lasting victories", not being able to successfully roll around to a bunch of undefended worlds and just murder everyone unopposed. That really feels like a situation where President Amaris gambled big (as he is one to do), and lost, and now everybody in the NRWR dies. Battletech jumps don't even work like Freespace jump tech where the NRWR could collapse a jump node or something out of desperation, trapping the Clan forces on Andurien so all the NRWR people on Andurien die, but the Clans are trapped there in a meaningless victory that still protects the rest of the NRWR.

Come on, President Amaris. Have some kind of plan. :pray:

If the battle's lost there, I'd expect the following:
Evacuate as many military assets as possible under cover of a final wave of good doggies.
The last wave of evacuation ships aren't actually jumpships. They're carrying a mixture of debris and mines, maybe even some nuclear mines, which they use to saturate the known safe routes to and from the surface. That traps the Clan forces on Andurien until they can clear away enough material to have a safe route into orbit. If Amaris is willing to spend the resources, he can jump in additional debris and mines to try to keep the Clan forces locked down.

At that stage, if his own forces are depleted enough and especially if his Red Dawn attempt fails, he'd probably be forced to conclude an alliance with one of his two neighbor states or with ComStar on terms he wouldn't like in order to get the manpower he needs to continue the fight.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

she's the hip new sound that's tearing up the charts

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Voting option B.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

pun pundit posted:

What defines a K-F drive for interference purposes, then? I mean, could you chop it into parts and it would be fine? Or is there a core of Space Maginium that creates this interference effect? Could you bring a whole drive sans core and it would be fine?

Coming back to this, from the stuff I read on Sarna after coming across this thread way back when it started, and then looking for more information on threads where it's discussed on other forums I frequent, I think the core (or at least the important part that makes it jump) of a jump drive is mostly Germanium, which is why that element used mostly as a semiconductor today is so important in BT. And yes, two K-F drives being in very close proximity to each other when one activates is bad news, as Sel Nar elaborated on the last two pages, and why you can't normally ship one as regular cargo to another system.

Some WarShips in the age of the Star League and early Succession Wars when space navies were still a thing (and some older/newer JumpShip designs) had jump batteries that could trickle charge a jump core from reserves without needing to deploy a solar sail to gather energy that way, or just dump an entire charge into the core at once at the risk of damaging the core or battery so that a ship could jump twice in rapid succession, for differing definitions of rapid. Those batteries had to be recharged the normal way (solar sail, I think) after said trickle charge or charge dump though. Of course, most of those ships have long been destroyed, so that's not much of a concern anymore. There are also some stars that have charging stations at their zenith and nadir points that serve the same purpose in assisting with charging jump drives, but those are necessarily around richer planets or militarily important ones, I would think.

If you want rapid transit nowadays in the Inner Sphere, that usually comes down to Command Circuits of JumpShips, taking an attached DropShip across the galaxy one 30 light year jump at a time. Better than waiting a week for your jump drive to charge via solar sail unassisted for every jump.

Pooncha posted:

I love reading the cascade effect our votes caused. :allears:
Yeah, it's great, isn't it. I don't know how I remember all these details about stuff in missions that've happened in this thread in the literal years it's been going on, we're getting close to it's 7th anniversary now.

Xarbala posted:

So it's between balls to the wall Wolverines, crazy rear end clanner funnies, and the goddamn Mandi Domino

E: sure thing phone I'll accept your auto-correct proposal

John Charity Spring posted:

Mandi Domino would make a good mechwarrior name for some periphery pirate.
Make it happen, PTN!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My phone also auto-corrected fundies to funnies but that one went right under the radar.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala posted:

My phone also auto-corrected fundies to funnies but that one went right under the radar.

I assume it had corrected furries to funnies, so there's that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

Some WarShips in the age of the Star League and early Succession Wars when space navies were still a thing (and some older/newer JumpShip designs) had jump batteries that could trickle charge a jump core from reserves without needing to deploy a solar sail to gather energy that way, or just dump an entire charge into the core at once at the risk of damaging the core or battery so that a ship could jump twice in rapid succession, for differing definitions of rapid. Those batteries had to be recharged the normal way (solar sail, I think) after said trickle charge or charge dump though. Of course, most of those ships have long been destroyed, so that's not much of a concern anymore. There are also some stars that have charging stations at their zenith and nadir points that serve the same purpose in assisting with charging jump drives, but those are necessarily around richer planets or militarily important ones, I would think.

Are you thinking of LF batteries? Being able to charge your drive from your fusion reactor is something that was never lost, but nobody does it unless they have to because it provides no advantage (the limit on how fast you can charge isn't the amount of energy you can collect, but having to feed it very very slowly so as to not damage the K-F core) and you have to burn fuel instead of just collecting solar energy. In fact, I think charging from the reactor is the original form of drive charging and the jump sail was invented after we started to see the first WarShips (so they would need one less thing to burn fuel on).

LF batteries, on the other hand, let you make two jumps basically right after each other at no risk to the core, which is a huge advantage and were indeed mostly extinct outside ComStar until recently.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Defiance Industries posted:

Are you thinking of LF batteries? Being able to charge your drive from your fusion reactor is something that was never lost, but nobody does it unless they have to because it provides no advantage (the limit on how fast you can charge isn't the amount of energy you can collect, but having to feed it very very slowly so as to not damage the K-F core) and you have to burn fuel instead of just collecting solar energy. In fact, I think charging from the reactor is the original form of drive charging and the jump sail was invented after we started to see the first WarShips (so they would need one less thing to burn fuel on).

LF batteries, on the other hand, let you make two jumps basically right after each other at no risk to the core, which is a huge advantage and were indeed mostly extinct outside ComStar until recently.

Yep, the drive charge from reactor gambit was in either the first or the second Stackpole novel. Done by the Kell Hounds, then under the command of Patrick Kell.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

All the votes are so intriguing :allears:

I admit my reading of the situation is a little different though. It feels like NRWR has this in the bag, even if something blows up. PTN said that the clans are bad at achieving lasting victory, so even with short term losses, NRWR will likely win the war long term.

Not to mention they can hyperspace ram warships, suicide drone mechs etc etc.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Voting for option A

Let's see how the longest of long-shots goes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm surprised at how people keep forgetting the loving massive stockpiles of war materiel hidden in the mountain depots on Andurien. There was never any way the Clans would leave that planet in victory.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

wiegieman posted:

I'm surprised at how people keep forgetting the loving massive stockpiles of war materiel hidden in the mountain depots on Andurien. There was never any way the Clans would leave that planet in victory.

Other than PTN already saying whichever vote for the NRWR lost was going to be a loss for them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like the NRWR as PTN presented them. I could have watched the entire inner sphere conflict through the actions of Uncle Stevie and The Demon Hawks and not get sick of it.

Voting C

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

A Red Dawn.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Other than PTN already saying whichever vote for the NRWR lost was going to be a loss for them.

No, he said they were guaranteed to lose "something", not necessarily the entire battle.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Hmm.... having given it a few days... think I'm going to vote for B to see what happens over there.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Surprise Pizza posted:

No, he said they were guaranteed to lose "something", not necessarily the entire battle.

Yeah, let's not fall into the habit of thinking we know what PTN has in store. He's a clever one; he knows how to build suspense.

My bet is that the Demon Hawks will leave the NRWR's service and take off to sign up with a nation that isn't constantly shouting "hey Clanners come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" - given Jason Youngblood's affinity for the Steiners, maybe he convinces Duncan to sign on with the new Star League by taking a job with Skye...

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
To be fair, the they're gonna lose whatever warps out to the clan homeworlds one way or another. It's not like they're likely to make it back without finding some jump ships lying around. So vote A! They're gonna lose anyway!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Plek posted:

To be fair, the they're gonna lose whatever warps out to the clan homeworlds one way or another. It's not like they're likely to make it back without finding some jump ships lying around. So vote A! They're gonna lose anyway!

Fortunately, they're trained in stealing jumpships. :pseudo:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Fortunately, they're trained in stealing jumpships. :pseudo:

Holy poo poo it's been so long since that mission

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Xarbala posted:

Holy poo poo it's been so long since that mission

Was that the training mission with the Wolverines that didn't quite go as planned, both in PTN's planning and with Goons completing their objectives? That sure was a while ago, and one of the more forgettable ones.

Defiance Industries posted:

Probably. All of my BT knowledge is second hand from here or threads from other forums, plus a smattering of Sarna, so I'll defer to your knowledge and accept the correction.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Was that the training mission with the Wolverines that didn't quite go as planned, both in PTN's planning and with Goons completing their objectives? That sure was a while ago, and one of the more forgettable ones.

I think so, the jumpship boarding portion of the training scenario was an experiment that didn't really work out, but I drat well forgot about it until Zaodai reminded everybody that it was foreshadowing this.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
As things are on andurien I can't see the clans actually winning.

Putting up a fight and bleeding their opponents sure.

But those mountain depots had a lot of mechs. And we haven't even really seen NRWR null sig bullshit mechs in the fight yet.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Before I forget: since all the votes look so :allears: I'll just let random.org pick...A.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PTN, could I ask where I am on the list for returning players? Weeks/months/years? I was in Air Raid.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I trust PTN to make it so things make sense, whatever the spectacular explosion is, but I just hope the Steel Vipers, Red Dawn and Andurien all get a fair shake and the forces there can win or lose.

As cool as Red Dawn is I wish I had voted C. I don't want to see Andurien fall after all the hard work and heroism we put into it, I mean they were really beaten down when last we left them, and the NRWR had every advantage.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 8, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RA Rx posted:

As cool as Red Dawn is I wish I had voted C. I don't want to see Andurien fall after all the hard work and heroism we put into it. Sure, space supremacy was always the primary objective, but the land and the mechs in storage pull at our emotions.

Isn't sacrificing both the last place and the runner up a bit much? Just let the Steel Vipers bite it. :P

Eh, it's a crying shame too, they're the clan that interacts with Steiner Rules.

The Amaris family bit off more than it can chew and the time has come for that to start mattering. Sending their best troops on a suicide mission on the other end of the sphere could very well lose the war on Andurien or it could turn out that maybe the Wolverines weren't so great after all.

Do note that losing votes don't always mean everything's lost. They could just bog down into a stalemate and not get resolved before something too big to ignore erupts elsewhere.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

6-2-2 on Page 98
18-3-9 on Page 99
10-10-7 on Page 00
7-4-8 on Page 01
3-1-1 on Page 02
2-1-3 on Page 03
3-2-1 on Page 04 to this post

~ 49-23-31

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 8, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RA Rx posted:

~ 49-23-31

Only if she's 5'3.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

RA Rx posted:

6-2-2 on Page 98
18-3-9 on Page 99
10-10-7 on Page 00
7-4-8 on Page 01
3-1-1 on Page 02
2-1-3 on Page 03
3-2-1 on Page 04 to this post

~ 49-23-31

So close. We could have had dogmocracy again.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
The Macross is going to Pluto.

A

edited

terrenblade fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 8, 2018

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

terrenblade posted:

The SDF-1 is going to Pluto.

A

Quiet, HG will hear you.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Skoll posted:

Quiet, HG will hear you.

good point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

Quiet, HG will hear you.

Stupid Frivolous HG Lawsuit update: Harmony Gold has also sued Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd.

"Arbitration that took place between Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko in US District Court found a judgment that shows Harmony Gold officially does not have the license to the copyrights they’re trying to sue over."

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 8, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That was from November, I need more details of the ongoing ignominious fate that had better await Harmony Gold.

I will admit that my initial reaction was, having only vaguely remembered that update, 'Battletech is free of the dread grasp of HG????'

e:

Sel Nar posted:

Hilariously so. Two K-F drives in proximity, even if one is unpowered, tends to cause a phenomenon best described as 'everything within 20 kilometres of the initiator just got smeared into a monoatomic slurry across 30 light years'.

That's one of the better outcomes. Nastier ones make the Philadelphia Experiment conspiracy theories look clean (people welded into hulls, etc. etc. etc.)

Fair enough, to overcome that you'd need to shield against a force that links distant places together, a tough job.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 8, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What's US law like on false claiming of IP rights?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Stupid Frivolous HG Lawsuit update: Harmony Gold has also sued Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd.

"Arbitration that took place between Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko in US District Court found a judgment that shows Harmony Gold officially does not have the license to the copyrights they’re trying to sue over."

:psyduck:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

They could still make the case if the 'Mechs were identical, but they lack the rights to sue over derivative works which I'm pretty sure PGI's designs qualify as at a bare minimum.

The wording on their lawsuits claims PGI et all have created exact copies of the Macross "robot warriors" characters.

Edit: PGI has already filed a motion to dismiss, but I haven't heard anything beyond that.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

goatface posted:

What's US law like on false claiming of IP rights?

The defendant in a copyright case (or any other civil lawsuit for that matter) can counter-sue. A common tactic is to seek attorney's fees plus damages. A common result is for there to be no award at all, a somewhat uncommon result is to only get attorney's fees (and that requires quite a lot of strong evidence that the suit was tortious), very rarely a defendant successfully countersues for fees + damages, and by an enormous margin the most common result is for the two parties to settle for undisclosed terms.

Generally, and I'm not a lawyer but this is my impression from following a few of these cases, if the original plaintiff's suit had so little merit that they'd probably wind up paying damages to the defendant, the suit would not have gotten very far anyway. The first thing a competent defense will do in these lawsuits is file motions to get the whole suit thrown out on the basis of merit of the claims, and if they succeed quickly, then a countersuit is probably not worth pursuing because the plaintiff - being incompetent and fond of wasting gobs of money - has little worth suing over and the risk of blowing even more money on a countersuit for no result is high. In some cases the defendant is "the little guy" and there's so much potential value in a successful countersuit that an attorney is willing to do the (probably 1-3 years or more) of work pro-bono that they go ahead.

It's common for these suits to involve many claims. For example, when Games Workshop sued Chapterhouse, there were dozens of claims involved. In that case, the court ultimately found for the plaintiff for some claims, and for the defendent for some claims, producing a mixed result which, on balance, was hugely costly and embarrassing for Games Workshop, but which did establish that Chapterhouse was violating Games Workshop's intellectual property rights in a few ways, which they had to pay a fine for and had to stop producing those specific items. Most commenters consider this case to have been a big loss for Games Workshop, because one of the key findings in the case was that GW did not in fact possess trademark rights to a number of the words and phrases they claimed, most notably "space marines" being very clearly prior art. Prior to their lawsuit, most games companies were deferring to GW's claims to a trademark of Space Marines; after the suit, it was legally established (in the US, at least) that this trademark claim was strictly invalid, so that now anyone can sell a product and call it a Space Marine as long as they're not clearly attempting to trade on GW's other trademarks (which include design and packaging decisions, so you still can't just clone their sculpts or something).

So to wind back around to your question: it's not a crime to "falsely" claim IP rights if you can plausibly explain to the court why you thought you had those rights. At the very worst, the court could establish a legal precedent that you do not have a particular or a set of rights. You can of course appeal such a decision. It is probably fraudulent to claim an intellectual property right that you know you do not have, but that would be a tough bar to hurdle in civil court. I'm not aware of a lot of criminal cases where a company was put on trial for knowingly and fraudulently claiming intellectual property rights for the purpose of bullying competitors, but I might not be in a position to know, so take that with a hefty pile of salt. Maybe it's happened more than I'm aware.

I also do not know on what basis Harmony Gold is claiming those rights, nor whether their claim has merit. It would seem on the surface not to be, but I have not reviewed their legal briefs.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 8, 2018

• Locked thread