Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

WRT BG: That's cool to know. I've only been playing regularly since Amonkhet and Decimator Beetle was my jam in my sealed league. Building a board with creepy crawly bugs or reptiles, decaying and growing thing simultaneously and playing around with graveyards are all very thematically compelling and fun to me. I'll take a look into Jund and Abzan.

If you want creepy crawly bugs (or even just a graveyard/reanimator theme) then Jund/Junk isn't what you want. Those decks are centered around the idea that some of the best and most efficient cards in Modern are black or green, and then they usually throw in a third color for more options (or just stick to BG!)

This looks bad but also rad. Loam is one of those cards that I think is really interesting, but I never found a deck that was interesting or good enough with Loam. Usually it's just a Dredge enabler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

This looks bad but also rad. Loam is one of those cards that I think is really interesting, but I never found a deck that was interesting or good enough with Loam. Usually it's just a Dredge enabler.

Take a look at Legacy Lands, once you have a few thousand dollars to burn on cardboard. If you have any interest in decks for long-defunct formats, CAL(Confinement Assault Loam) was pretty neat.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Ben’s the teen I’ve know for like 4 years at this point, he’s always run UR Control in Modern and he’s been to like 4 Pro Tours so he’s just very very good at Magic and Modern specifically.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/Benjamin%20Nikolich

This dude is awesome at magic, tell him it was a joy to watch him take over that game 2.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

instead of spending a bajillion dollars on legacy lands you could just try to play loam pox which people used to try to make a thing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Play Assault Loam in Modern - all the worst parts of Jund with few of the benefits

I love Loam and have thought about buying Dredge just to play more Loam decks

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Assault Loam with no black but with main deck Blood Moon imo

Actually gently caress it, you're playing Loam you can play 3 colors with main deck Blood Moon

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Play Assault Loam in Modern - all the worst parts of Jund with few of the benefits

I love Loam and have thought about buying Dredge just to play more Loam decks

I did and then immediately sold off the irrelevant parts to just make Valakut Breach (which I am now in the process of taking apart lol)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i know its not loam but i bet you can build swans for like fifty bucks and still be doing weird poo poo with lands

edit: no you can totally play loam in swans i bet

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 8, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

i know its not loam but i bet you can build swans for like fifty bucks and still be doing weird poo poo with lands

God I want to, but I have enough bad decks that I never get to play.

Paging mezzanon to evangelize for the deck :v:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
So how good is Tetzimoc? The card seems absolutely insane but I don't really play any Standard any more so I have no clue.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Boxman posted:

This is from a while ago, but if this isn't your idea of good clean magic i just dont know what to tell you

I had to look this mess up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQxCk7tvz1c

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Banning Ensnaring Bridge would 100% unrecoverably kill Lantern, right?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

And a whole bunch of incredibly annoying decks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

should ban counters, chalice, supreme verdict and elixir of immortality too, just to be safe. maybe ban removal. not sure.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

Pretty much. Lantern only works as a deck because "prevent you from drawing any answers to Bridge" is an achievable thing to do with the targeted mill.

To make the deck work without Bridge you'd need another one-card lock piece that can be played out early enough to matter.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

e:^^better said

Like it's a cute deck that demonstrates the power of controlling the draw step, but it's entirely enabled by Bridge.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

am i misremembering or was latern not a deck with elixir before it ran bridges

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Pretty sure it had bridge when it rose to prominence.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I haven't been watching, is the deck really dominant or do people just find it annoying?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

take a guess. the first two dont count. heres a hint, hey fellas what should we ban from tron!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

odiv posted:

I haven't been watching, is the deck really dominant or do people just find it annoying?

Ced and Pat said they consider it a top 3 deck in modern despite being underrepresented at the tournament (presumably because people value what they play over just winning at this sort of event). It didn't make day 2.

But I was just randomly musing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

odiv posted:

It's fine. Some people find it frustrating to play against because they can't bring themselves to concede, and so spend half the round playing out a game they've already lost.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also, reminder that the next PT is Modern. I'd forgotten.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

It's fine. Some people find it frustrating to play against because they can't bring themselves to concede, and so spend half the round playing out a game they've already lost.

Some people don't put a way to win in their deck and expect other people to concede to them when the game isn't over.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sampatrick posted:

So how good is Tetzimoc? The card seems absolutely insane but I don't really play any Standard any more so I have no clue.

If it's good in Standard, Standard won't be worth playing.

Rinkles posted:

Yes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rabidsquid posted:

The original Barberchop deck was almost a Tezzerator deck that used Bridge as a lock piece.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/tier-2-modern/221769-lantern-control

Look at the 2nd post for the original decks people were making. Gives me an excuse to use Booby Trap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

If it's good in Standard, Standard won't be worth playing.

Got any more thoughts to add to that?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

suicidesteve posted:

Some people don't put a way to win in their deck and expect other people to concede to them when the game isn't over.

The gameplan is to mill you out over the course of the next 30 turns, there's no sequence of cards in your deck that can get you out of the lock, if you really want to get madder and madder as you go through the motions that's fine but just remember that you're doing it to yourself.

Fwiw I've never met a Lantern player that'd be annoyed about getting to play it all the way out, unless their opponent starts deliberately slow-playing their turns.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

The gameplan is to mill you out over the course of the next 30 turns, there's no sequence of cards in your deck that can get you out of the lock, if you really want to get madder and madder as you go through the motions that's fine but just remember that you're doing it to yourself.

Fwiw I've never met a Lantern player that'd be annoyed about getting to play it all the way out, unless their opponent starts deliberately slow-playing their turns.

What's annoying about Lantern is that there often are sequences of cards that can break the lock. If it's 0% sure, but it can be very low percentages instead.

The correct answer is to still concede and move on with your life, at least outside of major tournaments, but it's annoying none the less.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

Yes it's literally impossible to have 3 or 4 relevant cards in a row. You haven't ended the game yet so nobody is obligated to concede.

Jabor posted:

Unless you break out of the 3 mill rock + lantern lock, then they're suddenly mad that they have to try to actually play the game instead of sitting behind their 3 mana artifact that stops the game from being played. At least that's the case based on my personal experience.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Might be a controversial opinion, but I've always found playing against Lantern or even just watching it go off much more frustrating than Vintage Stax even at its Lodestone-Golem-y-est. There's a small sliver of hope that there's an out to Lantern, but Stax at least mercy killed a permanent-less opponent with 5/3s.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

Your original point was about interesting drawbacks for bad removal, not about overall quality of removal.

Fair enough dude, it's just that you seemingly brought up Launch Party as though it was some sort of counterpoint and I mentioned the background removal quality level in order to explain why Death Bomb was an insultingly bad removal spell in 2001 but might not be in the RTR+ era. Seems like you already knew that though, so sorry for 'splaining to you.

quote:

Also Launch Party is actually better than Death Bomb because it doesn't have the nonblack clause.

Touche, I totally overlooked that somehow.

Boxman posted:

This is from a while ago, but if this isn't your idea of good clean magic i just dont know what to tell you

That's the stuff. :discourse:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

suicidesteve posted:

Yes it's literally impossible to have 3 or 4 relevant cards in a row. You haven't ended the game yet so nobody is obligated to concede.

Unless you break out of the 3 mill rock + lantern lock, then they're suddenly mad that they have to try to actually play the game instead of sitting behind their 3 mana artifact that stops the game from being played. At least that's the case based on my personal experience.

That's what I'm saying man. If the slim chance of having all your artifact removal in a row (and then a second time because they also had a welding jar) is worth it to you, by all means play on. But if you find yourself getting mad, remember that it was all your decision, the Lantern player didn't make you play it out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sampatrick posted:

To me he looks scary/feelbad on the off chance someone doesn't have an answer in their 75, and a really telegraphed haymaker to hold on to your Essence Scatter/Heroic Intervention/Etc otherwise.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You also play a Lantern deck the same reason you would play Affinity, or a Worship deck: the free game 1 wins you get because people don't have enough maindeck answers. The best answer against Lantern is also having a Shatterstorm+Leyline+4 SSGs+Blood Moon in your opening hand.

edit: or a karn because the deck can't beat a karn or ulamog

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

That's what I'm saying man. If the slim chance of having all your artifact removal in a row (and then a second time because they also had a welding jar) is worth it to you, by all means play on. But if you find yourself getting mad, remember that it was all your decision, the Lantern player didn't make you play it out.

I just think it's lovely. Prison decks with wincons that close out the game are cool. Prison decks that do nothing but grind the game to time unless the opponent concedes are lovely decks for lovely people.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Matsuri posted:

I just think it's lovely. Prison decks with wincons that close out the game are cool. Prison decks that do nothing but grind the game to time unless the opponent concedes are lovely decks for lovely people.

FWIW I really can't think of any other decks with the win conditon of making your opponent fall asleep. Old Miracles is the closest I can think of but that was like, plan D and was reliant on already having the best card in your deck in play and putting 3 copies of a garbage enchantment in your deck. Every other prison deck has a way to win the game in a reasonable amount of time before they draw out of it.

It's also really funny to slow roll (NOT slow play) Lantern players so they waste a bunch of time. Remember that you can win a game in 5 minutes and they can't. It's even funnier on MTGO.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

What about playing a deck that can win through an Ensnaring Bridge?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
just play storm and make lantern players sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
There were times in my 5 years of being a TO that I really hated magic. It always had to do with people being horrible humans to each other, or sometimes to me. Despite this, playing against Lantern is 100% worse. Ban that poo poo into the ground. End the suffering.