Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
I'll admit I'm still not fully comfortable with the fairness of it, but since there's like five of you telling me to do it I guess I'll take the team back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gingemidget posted:

I'll admit I'm still not fully comfortable with the fairness of it, but since there's like five of you telling me to do it I guess I'll take the team back.

Neat. Hey Pander and JRLeap, the Owlbears are back too, then. I can't support an odd number of teams.

The Super Draft is still viable, btw--we can just treat the Rogues as having died in the gauntlet and add them into the pool.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
So trading King Brady and Duke Snider made me wonder if you could fill a roster for the challenge only with guys named like noble titles: King/Rey/Rex, Earl, Duke, Prince, C(a)esar, Kaiser Wilhelm, a "von", a Count Funnyname and Silver King and Bris Lord (thanks McFreeze) as well as a Lady for the sake of more funny names. I realize this bending over the rules and stretching them like I'm Kirk Johnson, but here, give it a chance and take a look:

Lineup
DH Earl Averill
RF King Kelly
C Earl Battey
CF Duke Snider
1B Prince Fielder
LF Bris Lord
2B Duke "Obi-Wan kenwobi01" Kenworthy
SS Rey Sanchez
3B Duke Farrell

Rotation
SP1 Silver King
SP2 Lady Baldwin
SP3 Earl Moore
SP4 Earl Wilson
SP5 "Nat" King Cole

Bullpen
LR Earl Hamilton
MR King Lear
SR Dave von Ohlen
SR Earl Johnson
SU Cesar Ramos
CL Rex Brothers

Bench
Earl Williams
Rex Hudler
Earl Webb
Kaiser Wilhelm
Count Sensenderfer

CSV
pre:
batteea01,1963,,,,Earl,Battey
fieldpr01,2011,,,,Prince,Fielder
kenwobi01,1915,,,,Duke,Kenworthy
sanchre01,2001,,,,Rey,Sanchez
farredu01,1899,,,,Duke,Farrell
lordbr01,1911,,,,Bris,Lord
snidedu01,1954,,,,Duke,Snider
kellyki01,1886,,,,King,Kelly
averiea01,1936,,,,Earl,Averill
kingsi01,1890,,,,Silver,King
baldwla01,1886,,,,Lady,Baldwin
mooreea01,1903,,,,Earl,Moore
wilsoea01,1966,,,,Earl,Wilson
wilheka01,1908,,,,Kaiser,Wilhelm
hamilea01,1921,,,,Earl,Hamilton
learki01,1915,,,,King,Lear
vonohda01,1985,,,,Dave,Von Ohlen
johnsea01,1947,,,,Earl,Johnson
ramosce01,2015,,,,Cesar,Ramos
brothre01,2013,,,,Rex,Brothers
williea02,1973,,,,Earl,Williams
hudlere01,1990,,,,Rex,Hudler
webbea01,1931,,,,Earl,Webb
coleki01,1911,,,,King,Cole
senseco01,1872,,,,Count,Sensenderfer
"That's one hell of an act", you say and ask: "What to you call this team?"

"Naturally, their name is", I answer, "The Aristocrats."

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 7, 2018

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
After tadashi has been skipped due to time, The Prague Plague Doctors select 1960 Ernie Banks.

The Forgettables and Gabriel Pope/Straight White Shark are on the clock. Grinnblade and Tadashi can still pick whenever.

CVE fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 7, 2018

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
There's no way somebody named King Lear actually played in the MLB

edit: oh my god

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

FairGame posted:

Neat. Hey Pander and JRLeap, the Owlbears are back too, then. I can't support an odd number of teams.

The Super Draft is still viable, btw--we can just treat the Rogues as having died in the gauntlet and add them into the pool.

She says "neat!"

do the owlbears get a pick in the DD? To be fair it would probably be the new Mr(s). Irrelevant pick.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Yaya posted:

There's no way somebody named King Lear actually played in the MLB

edit: oh my god

I'm more surprised Kaiser Wilhelm was allowed to compete after 1917.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
fairgame i'll post the billy roster tomorrow xoxo

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
GPope!

I want your pick! I'll trade your choice of 1913 Joe Jackson and 1983 Tim Raines for it!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Important opportunity for public comment!

Obviously, even with the reduced amount of writing I'm doing (which I am very not happy about), the Super-League is still a strain, and I fear that I'm slowly driving FairGame mad by making him run the Sub-Par League. (Note: I may actually be driving him mad very quickly, one's descent into madness tends to be hard to measure objectively).

To that end, I have a proposal.

1. We fix the update schedule, with me updating three times a week, and FairGame updating three times a week.

2. On the other day of the week (I'd say probably a Wednesday), we'll run the Super-Cup.

The Super-Cup will be essentially similar to the sort of weird non-league competitions they have in European soccer leagues, sort of like the FA Cup. The teams in the Sub-Par, Super, EC, and those teams that have been Machoed will be eligible to compete.

For structure, I was thinking:

-20 teams in the Sub-Par in four pools competing for four spots in the knockout rounds

-24 teams in the Super-League in six pools competing for six spots in the knockout rounds

-The 14 Machoed teams in three pools competing for five spots in the knockout rounds

-However many EC teams competing in a special one-off update for one spot in the knockout rounds.

That's 16 teams, and it would be knockout series from there on, which adds up to about 10 or 11 updates.

Thoughts?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm gonna win

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think it’s a neat concept, but what does the winner get?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
This sounds really cool. I want in!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Edward Mass posted:

I think it’s a neat concept, but what does the winner get?

Same prize as the tag team title...life.

Also, mentholmoose suggested that each owner would get an entry, and they could use either their current team, or any previous team they used in the past (that wasn't later Machoed).

Thoughts on that?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sure, it sounds cool to me.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Same prize as the tag team title...life.

Also, mentholmoose suggested that each owner would get an entry, and they could use either their current team, or any previous team they used in the past (that wasn't later Machoed).

Thoughts on that?

I like the overall concept and Mooses idea.

Though to clarify:

Pander could enter the Southpaws from the season they didn't win super league and that would be cool ?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

shepard.shouldgo posted:

I like the overall concept and Mooses idea.

Though to clarify:

Pander could enter the Southpaws from the season they didn't win super league and that would be cool ?

No, the Southpaws later Machoed, so would enter the Super-Cup as part of that group.

He could bring in the TWTWs in place of the Panderers, though!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

No, the Southpaws later Machoed, so would enter the Super-Cup as part of that group.

If he were insane

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

This sounds like fun!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is going to result in your needing to make updates of some stripe on back to back days.

Are you ok with that?

Also I'm gonna bring back Modern Love!

E: when you say the prize is life, does that mean an owner can get one of his old teams resurrected?

...becausw I wonder what the Cultists could doing not.for the lottery.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

FairGame posted:

This is going to result in your needing to make updates of some stripe on back to back days.

Are you ok with that?

E: when you say the prize is life, does that mean an owner can get one of his old teams resurrected?

No?
SL subpar SL super-cup subpar SL subpar
Repeat.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

FairGame posted:

Are you ok with that?

I was hoping I could get someone to do the sims. It would be much work, and people could share the load as well. It would only be ten updates.

The prize is that your team can't die that season, just like in the Tag Team Tournament.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Phonepostin' to say I'm not dead, just had a bit of a payment issue re: my home internet. Should be turned back on Soon(tm) and I'll make my pick then.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'll help as I can. I know mogul, have run the ec a couple times, I just need a bit more irl free time before I can commit to anything concrete.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
gently caress it, I'm on vacation and don't have time to move this so I just draft Sparky Lyle.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pander posted:

No?
SL subpar SL super-cup subpar SL subpar
Repeat.

Bolded two consecutive days of smasher things. But anyway if he's farming it out to you, no worries!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My personal vote would be to just take a day off and don't put anything in its place.

I'm pretty sure that we are all adults and can handle not having an update on fake fantasy historical fantasy baseballl once a week.

And frankly, the whole thing sounds overly confusing and a pain in the rear end to deal with effort wise.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TMMadman posted:

My personal vote would be to just take a day off and don't put anything in its place.

I'm pretty sure that we are all adults and can handle not having an update on fake fantasy historical fantasy baseballl once a week.

And frankly, the whole thing sounds overly confusing and a pain in the rear end to deal with effort wise.

I basically agree with this. 3 days a week is hard to meet for most LPs anyway

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I also vote for just an off day. We don’t need daily content, the thread will be able to survive!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Man, this weekend was terrible and I missed my pick.

2015 Stephen Strasburg, please.

I have some offers for the 1st pick of the 4th round and certainly am willing to deal. Focusing on ss help and/or relief pitching help.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 8, 2018

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

fwiw I also vote for an off-day but I also know smasher will never go for it

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Also work stuff has suddenly intruded quite a bit and will probably do so for most of the next couple of weeks. I'll still get the TEAM NAME CHALLENGE (which is going to include the Royals with Kaiser Wilhelm and King Lear) up, but don't expect it anytime super near future.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'd say just save that for when you have excess time and interest. Don't set hard dates.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

From the Spiral Mountain Breegulls Management Team:

On discord we talked about a trade,
And right now I wanna make it made.
My draft pick for your Sherry Magee,
This youth better not make this ugly.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

From the Spiral Mountain Breegulls Management Team:

On discord we talked about a trade,
And right now I wanna make it made.
My draft pick for your Sherry Magee,
This youth better not make this ugly.

My 1905 Sherry Magee,
to Spiral Mountain he will flee.
Pick Thirtyseven from the 'gulls
shall strengthen our own ship's hulls!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

LMAO what the gently caress

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Mexico City Machine Guns select an all-time rabidsquid favorite in 1989 Ryne Sandberg

Jampact is on the clock! also the skipped people are on the clock!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I feel like either no one is listening or I'm not making myself clear.

The point of the Super-Cup is me getting someone else to run it, and if I do that, then, in fact, I am saving myself some work, while at the same time improving the thread by adding a new competition and giving teams another chance to win things.

If I can't get someone else to run it, then it won't happen, since I can't do it myself. But if I can outsource it, then it's less work for me, gives me (and FairGame) more time to work on the updates we still have, and is good for everyone.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Trade:
Warriors send:

1913 Joe Jackson
1995 Randy Myers

Sharks send:
Current pick, used to select 1960 Eddie Mathews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jampact
Jun 3, 2008

Yaya posted:

Trade:
Warriors send:

1913 Joe Jackson
1995 Randy Myers

Sharks send:
Current pick, used to select 1960 Eddie Mathews

Kensei said this is a good deal for me, so whatever. Approved.