Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
I was thinking the Super Metroid save/kill was a summer games thing, or has that been an AGDQ tradition too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Entangled posted:

I was thinking the Super Metroid save/kill was a summer games thing, or has that been an AGDQ tradition too?

It's been at every single GDQ to date.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a.lo posted:

what took metroids place? was it this game?

nothing, no one submitted a decent run of super metroid so it didn't get in

huge slip up on that community's part i m h o

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Entangled posted:

its been at every event because its the highest donation

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

It seems BoTW took it's spot. Super Metroid is pretty much my favorite game, but it does feel overdone by this point. Especially if nothing impressive has been done since the last run.

SM Arcade or Randomizer could be fun?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I guess people are enjoying this run if the donations are true which just goes to show you can be wrong about video games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'try not to die of boredom...

...during the auto-scroller'

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010
Underwhelming first day. Feels bad man.

:smith:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hey, at least there was skyrim

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ten Wasted Dollars posted:

Underwhelming first day. Feels bad man.

:smith:

Skyrim was on the first day though :unsmith:

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Skyrim was on the first day though :unsmith:

True.

:gbsmith:

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I actually missed Skyrim...

I think I'll grab a snack and watch that instead. It should be up as a vod on Twitch.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Missed Morrowind 3: Bad Version 2, watching instead of snoozeplanet 2

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/216435379 @ 32 minutes

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
this is the worst run I've ever seen

it should be illegal by law to do a co-op run and one of the guys on the couch never talks.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

yeah

yeah

gimme one more hour of this

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i think i might buy that glitched light t-shirt from yetee because i’m a whore for kid icarus

not sure what else id pick up though but i’d want to because it would feel kinda weird to buy just one t-shirt

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Skyrim menu tech O_O

UHHH THE HORSE TECH

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I just had to shut it off. God, this one's mind numbing. The guy keeps interrupting his own thoughts too, in the middle of trying to explain... anything. It's goddamn irritating!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

i think i might buy that glitched light t-shirt from yetee because i’m a whore for kid icarus

not sure what else id pick up though but i’d want to because it would feel kinda weird to buy just one t-shirt

buy the splat shirt!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Is the Dark Beast YeTee shirt a Zelda thing? It's almost impossible to tell what's going on beyond the Georgia O'Keefe vibe.

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

this is the worst run I've ever seen

it should be illegal by law to do a co-op run and one of the guys on the couch never talks.

He spoke briefly at the beginning. This is the better option.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Really tight mechanics for moving those floaty rear end blobbos around the screen, jesus who greenlit this

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

It's only 16k behind last year.

Yeah, "grim times for GDQ" are really dependent on what you think a low amount raised is, and whether it's a substantial enough difference. 16k is actually kind've a lot right now, since it's a 10% difference, but if you look at SGDQ 2017 that's less than 1% of the total raised.

I think that there might be some early indications of problems (donations REALLY slowed during F-Zero, and are barely existent now), but it could just be a weaker start. It's only been 13 hours, and if GDQ maintains the pace earlier marathons had, they'll be fine.

My concern is that generally:
Donations are generally weaker Mon - Thur compared to Sunday, and that slowdown may have already started.
GDQ hits Saturday and enters a donation powermode, but the closer they are to a big target (like a $1,000,000), the easier it is to push people to a further big milestone.

I think if GDQ isn't hitting a $1,000,000 by early Saturday morning, they probably won't hit $2,000,000, at least I'm guessing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Anybody know why there's no bonesaw this year? I know he was banned last year, did he just not apply this year? I miss the interesting runs.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Skyrim run was awesome, although they seemed nervous at the start and then everyone except the middle guy on the couch was weird or obnoxious

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I will never understand why people give a poo poo about twitch chat
every discussion of AGDQ I've seen outside of SA is dominated by people bitching about the chat being in subscriber-only mode
And there are apparently multiple people streaming the stream for the express purpose of allowing people to use twitch chat

twitch chat for streams this big moves too fast to actually read
Everything you say is said into the void, the chances that anybody will read it is practically nil
The only hope you have of conveying any information is to be part of a whole bunch of people spamming the same emote at once
What is appealing about that

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

buy the splat shirt!!

eh it’s a bit... busy? for my tastes. not super wild about it. i kinda like the mega man one but it’s a bit too obvious/not stylish, i dunno, i’m very particular about my gaming shirts

Agent355 posted:

Anybody know why there's no bonesaw this year? I know he was banned last year, did he just not apply this year? I miss the interesting runs.

he was executed live on camera after his jak run

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DoctorWhat posted:

Is the Dark Beast YeTee shirt a Zelda thing? It's almost impossible to tell what's going on beyond the Georgia O'Keefe vibe.

It is. I didn't know either, and I asked in another thread. It's supposed to be from Breath of the Wild.

Studio posted:

Yeah, "grim times for GDQ" are really dependent on what you think a low amount raised is, and whether it's a substantial enough difference. 16k is actually kind've a lot right now, since it's a 10% difference, but if you look at SGDQ 2017 that's less than 1% of the total raised.

I think that there might be some early indications of problems (donations REALLY slowed during F-Zero, and are barely existent now), but it could just be a weaker start. It's only been 13 hours, and if GDQ maintains the pace earlier marathons had, they'll be fine.

My concern is that generally:
Donations are generally weaker Mon - Thur compared to Sunday, and that slowdown may have already started.
GDQ hits Saturday and enters a donation powermode, but the closer they are to a big target (like a $1,000,000), the easier it is to push people to a further big milestone.

I think if GDQ isn't hitting a $1,000,000 by early Saturday morning, they probably won't hit $2,000,000, at least I'm guessing.
Is it really a big deal if they don't break the record from last time? The aim is to raise money for PCF. Whether that's $100,000 or $1,000,000, it going to a cause to help people. Obviously, it would be great if they could bring in more donations, but if they don't raise as much as they did last year, I don't think they're going to cancel the event or anything.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pakled posted:

every discussion of AGDQ I've seen outside of SA is dominated by people bitching about the chat being in subscriber-only mode
And there are apparently multiple people streaming the stream for the express purpose of allowing people to use twitch chat

Everything you say is said into the void, the chances that anybody will read it is practically nil
The only hope you have of conveying any information is to be part of a whole bunch of people spamming the same emote at once

They're 15 years old.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Agent355 posted:

Someone mentioned that he submitted (some forgettable game that I've already forgotten) and it wasn't accepted, but he was going to try submitting something again for SGDQ

at this point they really need to accept the fact that it's not a speedrun thing anymore and start accepting people based on their entertainment ability, or at least get the pure-runners a decent couch statler and waldorf style

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Pakled posted:

The chance to be racist transphobic scum in tandem.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I fell asleep at some point during blaster master. I'm assuming I haven't missed much?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pakled posted:

the only people talking about it are the only people who give a poo poo about it, which are "the only people who bothered looking at/using the chat in previous years"

most sane people gave up on GDQ twitch chat as a method of interaction years ago and chat about the runs off-site, so it kind of self-selected for the lowest common denominator there and it shows in all respects

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Agent355 posted:

He submitted a run but didn’t get selected, so he’s skipping AGDQ to save money. Maybe SGDQ.

Sensible. Some of it may also be the US tax changes and people being careful with their money because it’s not obvious what their standard deduction is going to be; I know I’m much more comfortable doing charity poo poo after April.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Vaah posted:

I fell asleep at some point during blaster master. I'm assuming I haven't missed much?

Not really. I have a sleep disorder where I require a sleeping pill to actually sleep and I just took it but I think this run was already functioning as such.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

It is. I didn't know either, and I asked in another thread. It's supposed to be from Breath of the Wild.

Is it really a big deal if they don't break the record from last time? The aim is to raise money for PCF. Whether that's $100,000 or $1,000,000, it going to a cause to help people. Obviously, it would be great if they could bring in more donations, but if they don't raise as much as they did last year, I don't think they're going to cancel the event or anything.

i was extremely doubtful that they’d break 2 million this year anyway since a huge chunk of that came from a surprise bamco anime pack in the final day or so that was filled to the brim with incredible poo poo. they kinda tried to do that again at sgdq but it was a bit underwhelming.

i don’t really see that lightning striking twice, but my concern now if they don’t hit it is that dweeboid idiots are going to point to it as GDQ becoming “too corporate/SJW”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Someone mentioned that he submitted (some forgettable game that I've already forgotten) and it wasn't accepted, but he was going to try submitting something again for SGDQ

at this point they really need to accept the fact that it's not a speedrun thing anymore and start accepting people based on their entertainment ability, or at least get the pure-runners a decent couch statler and waldorf style
I think there's value in a non-humorous couch. People love Blechy's commentary because it's clearly well-scripted and researched, and that's the kind of stuff we need instead of just praying the people on the couch can work a crowd.

And mixing things up is good too. The lack of Super Metroid is a sign they understand the need to keep the schedule varied.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A friend of mine suggest putting the runners in one room and the couch/audience in another to allow the runners to focus and play and be seirous all they want, and allow the audience to yell WAH and put some actual interesting people on the couch so we don't get whatever this abomination is.

I don't know if it would work perfectly but god drat I wish the event staff would try to enforce a 'you must have a good couch' rule.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pants Donkey posted:

I think there's value in a non-humorous couch. People love Blechy's commentary because it's clearly well-scripted and researched, and that's the kind of stuff we need instead of just praying the people on the couch can work a crowd.

And mixing things up is good too. The lack of Super Metroid is a sign they understand the need to keep the schedule varied.

There's value in a couch that knows the game, but a general-humor couch is still better than a dead couch and watching a 2-hour-long "Let's Play, no cutscene edition" version of a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they even have TWO couches at least make one of them entertaining

• Locked thread