Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
For mini-ITX it's just the socket on one side and everything else on the other or what? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

I'm already eyeballing the board design and I think I see a Mini-ITX TR board in there.

I think ASUS could do it easier. They have a manufacturing line that doesn't do any kind of soldering. So you wouldn't need pins passing through the motherboard taking up space.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

can you please tell me how this post should best imply my undying hatred for AMD? I'm really not sure how best to proceed from such an ambiguous post.

(vdi deployments at banks probably aren't using SR-IOV for the most part, VDI does not imply multi-user on the same runtime let alone the same device)

no nothing to do with AMD per se but they have implemented the correct OOOE hardware which doesn't incorrectly work across privilege domains which Intel did not, despite it being in the literal textbook on the subject

GPUs are vulnerable because they are a giant pile of hacks and are even less open than CPUs. I wouldn't doubt for a second that there's a cross-process infoleak hiding in the GPU drivers or GPU implementation that could leak the contents of screen memory or textures containing secret data which is a problem when every single process is HW accelerated, as in modern desktops or worse, VDI, where multiple desktops will share a GPU via SR-IOV or some other multiplexing tech

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Llamadeus posted:

Just announced! Naturally, it's Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3888

asrock back at it again !!!

a reasonable upgrade path from my x99-itx

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Faux pas to quote myself from the last page but if 7nm really does open up the opportunity for 32c/64t threadrippers at badass clockspeeds then HOLY FUUUUUCKK

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Llamadeus posted:

Just announced! Naturally, it's Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3888

Good lord, what are their engineers smoking? :drugnerd:

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I'd cream

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

Now do ITX.

You joke, but if there's anybody in this world that WOULD do an X399 ITX board, _it is AsRock_.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SlayVus posted:

Put 4 so-DIMM slots on the back along with the 3 m.2 slots.

Yeah, looking at the TR4 bracket dimensions, i think you would legit have to do that. You could include thermal pads for the ram to touch the motherboard tray!

Probably be physically possible, but not enough market to make the R&D worth it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hopefully we'll get Raven Ridge and the Intel G series chips on desktop soon. If those numbers about on-package Vega being close to a 1060 are true, that'll be a big boon for a marker dominated by buttminers.

And I want to have more fun weekend projects.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
GN did Windows Meltdown patch benchmarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXLiQUsnmVE

I won't ruin the punchline.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I just want Raven Ridge to show up on more than two laptops

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Same :smith:

At least the Acer Swift 3 will have an R7 2700U, so we'll be able to see numbers on a new SKU.

I don't think Lenovo have announced a date for their (single channel RAM) RR laptop. Hopefully CES will provide some updates. And Freesync 2 panels.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That kind of thing is why I'm skeptical on AMD being able to really exploit exploits for a short term boost in their market share. Laptops are an absolutely huge market for x86-64 and AMD is still barely able to offer in it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The OEM's do what they want and AMD can't make them use their chips. What do you expect them to do? Follow Intel's practices of paying OEM's to use their stuff?

Even if they wanted to do that I don't think they have the cash flow to pull off that tactic.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2 new Ryzen Mobile chips coming, a 4/4 with 6 Vega CUs and a 2/4 with 3 Vega CUs. I think the smaller part is a the different, small die AMD was calling Banded Kestrel.

Will be branded Ryzen 3 2300U and 2200U.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-ryzen-3-mobile

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any word on if that Asrock X399M supports ECC?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Undisclosed as of yet, but TR has official support so having a mobo without it would be a bit dumb.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
In theory Banded Kestrel is a direct competitor to Atom, Bobcat v Saltwell Round 2. Should noticeably outperform the Quad Kabinis, seems really good. Hope it makes it to desktop with something like A400 series boards as a full replacement for AM1.

Pinnacle Ridge basically confirmed for April https://videocardz.com/74685/amd-zen-12nm-ryzen-and-x470-motherboards-to-launch-in-april

Higher clocks basically, and taking AMD/GloFo at thier word regarding what 12nm does that means 4.4-4.5Ghz on average, golden samples 4.7Ghz. Hopefully DDR4 compatibility is higher as well, but besides a refined Precision Boost nothing new.

Pinnacle Threadripper in 2H 2018 though, sooner rather than latter it seems but marketing materials+roadmap, so eh...

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 8, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

x470 boards showing up in the wild at CES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCNKnKGvg4I

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTKgvPUXN8

8809G is "Hades Canyon" because hell froze over when Intel agreed to put AMD parts onto one of their chips.

"Expected performance to be better than a 1060 Max-Q", Linus says.

Cygni posted:

x470 boards showing up in the wild at CES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCNKnKGvg4I

Oh my god, thin-fin VRM heatsinks, instead of the stupid "sawn block of aluminum" ones.

Still loses points for putting that loving decorative piece that blocks airflow located above the socket, but thin-fin VRM heatsinks!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 8, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/950230588149006336

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I mean, de facto that's what we saw on Black Friday. Some BF prices were significantly lower, even. Threadripper didn't get much of a discount, or none at all depending on SKU. And 2000-series SKUs should be just around the corner anyway. Kinda underwhelming.

Desktop G-series SKUs are the bigger deal here IMO.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

R5 2400G and R3 2200G also announced:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/CES-2018-AMD-Ryzen-Desktop-CPU-Ryzen-Graphics-Coming-Feb-12

They’re APUs! 8CUs in the 2200G and 11 in the 2400G. I didn’t see clockspeeds listed

Keynote link?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yes but did you hear about Intel

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yes but did you hear about Intel

Yeah, how are Intel's APUs going to stack up, actually? I'm guessing "Intel is moderately better but wildly more expensive"?

edit: I think people were guessing 560-ish performance for AMD's APUs?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 8, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, how are Intel's APUs going to stack up, actually? I'm guessing "Intel is moderately better but wildly more expensive"?

The on-package memory will probably make up a big difference and give Intel a rather dramatic performance lead, but the price will reflect it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Intel says "gtx 1060 or better level performance" for their vega apu from what I've seen? That's actually really good, I might have to get a laptop for VR purposes finally.

e: Yeah it's in that linus vid.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NewFatMike posted:

R5 2400G and R3 2200G also announced:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/CES-2018-AMD-Ryzen-Desktop-CPU-Ryzen-Graphics-Coming-Feb-12

They’re APUs! 8CUs in the 2200G and 11 in the 2400G. I didn’t see clockspeeds listed

Keynote link?

Sounds like Raven Ridge silicon in a socket with a desktop TDP. So probably between an RX 550 and 560 for the 11 CU part?

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12233/amd-tech-day-at-ces-2018-roadmap-revealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Probably depends on memory access. No on-die memory was mentioned, so it’ll likely just be going for normal system RAM along with the CPU. That would be my hope for the performance zone. Hopefully it’ll be possible to get a console replacement part with it. Some overclocking from there seemed interesting - they apparently got the GPU up to 1675MHz, but I’m not sure if the memory bottleneck will be even more exacerbated.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I don't know why anyone would pay $10 more for a 1700X vs. the 1700. The 1700 actually comes with a decent cooler that can handle overclocking it to the 1700X's level, so it's $10 less + cost of a cooler.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Yo, can I take a moment to point something our really quick?

Zen 2 is already _design complete_.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

4/4 and 8CUs for $99 MSRP, lol bristol ridge dead in the crib

Pentium Gold also loving dead

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 8, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD is going to sell a ton of those for office machines. There's definitely a niche for the Intel APUs but you are going to pay through the nose for that much power in that form factor.

Are the APUs on Zen+ silicon or no? They are listed as 2000-series products...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD is going to sell a ton of those for office machines. There's definitely a niche for the Intel APUs but you are going to pay through the nose for that much power in that form factor.

No mention of the nanometer process from the slides I've seen, but I would assume they'd have to be if they're jamming in graphics in there somewhere.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I don't know why anyone would pay $10 more for a 1700X vs. the 1700. The 1700 actually comes with a decent cooler that can handle overclocking it to the 1700X's level, so it's $10 less + cost of a cooler.

The X makes it sound cool.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

They are 14nm, at least on the roadmap.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

95% certain that these are 1st gen Ryzen, Zen+ is still only sampling, and:

"Anandtech posted:

Ryzen 3 Mobile APUs: January 9th
Ryzen Desktop APUs: February 12th
Second Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors: April.
Ryzen Pro Mobile APUs: Q2 2018
Second Generation Threadripper Processors: 2H 2018
Second Generation Ryzen Pro Desktop Processors: 2H 2018

If they were Zen+, I feel like it would have said "Second Generation Ryzen Desktop APUs" instead, along with all of the other known-Zen+ product lines.

But we'll find out leading up to the 12th of next month, right?

edit: Hey, cool. Nesting url= inside quote= markdown works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
2200G/2400G, aka "who is gonna give a poo poo to the 1300X/1500X anymore".

They might as well retire the latter two SKUs since they serve no purpose with the APUs.