Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How’s this different to the collections stuff that’s existed since forever? Any info link? It’s a nice idea but the built in ones it uses are super loose so you get a bunch of pointless collections (like “Ant Man Collection” when only one film even exists) but doing them from scratch yourself just feels like too much effort, so I’ve never used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Plex on my Apple TV shows a poster art icon/thing for every single individual unplayed episode. How do I make it consolidate these into just one poster icon per TV show and say “play season 3 episode 2” like how Netflix does it?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

How’s this different to the collections stuff that’s existed since forever? Any info link? It’s a nice idea but the built in ones it uses are super loose so you get a bunch of pointless collections (like “Ant Man Collection” when only one film even exists) but doing them from scratch yourself just feels like too much effort, so I’ve never used them.

It's not _that_ much effort since you can multi-select then add the category tag. I've never used the built-ins, so I can't speak to how I like doing my own categories separately vs. that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah that multi select tool is quite useful. I wonder if there's a way of mass deleting the defaults and starting afresh, although I'm not convinced after going through the effort of setting it all up that I'd actually use it anyway!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My documentaries are in a separate library from my movies. Can you put items from separate libraries into the same collection?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

What's the benefit of using collections over playlists?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Dsmif posted:

Dsmif posted:

I assume because you can view all the items in a collection, when you select any item from that collection while browsing your library.

Playlists exist outside your library view.

My hope is that it functions like “extras” in iMovie.

Example: you select “alien” from your library, and from that page you can see all the various alien documentaries and bonus features from the alien bluray set.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.plex.tv/blog/beginning-look-lot-like-collections/

It looks like it's just an automated version of smart/custom playlists you can make from scratch but they're are now at the forefront and more easily accessible. The only reason I've tagged collection metadata from thmoviedb.org was so that I can have collection listings like this:

show up across all Plex apps for various film series/franchises/etc.

Cornjob posted:

My documentaries are in a separate library from my movies. Can you put items from separate libraries into the same collection?

Doesn't look like it. Collections are a per library basis it seems.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 2, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with constant buffering on an Apple TV 4k, Plex server is a Shield TV with no other streaming going on. Internet upload speed on the server is 1 Gbps, download speed on the client is 80 Mbs. Seems like a recipe for everything to "just work," but no such luck.

Found a 1080p media that has a bitrate of about 11 Mbps. Set the Apple TV to use original quality, just to attempt to take transcoding out of the picture. On the web interface "Now Playing" it shows that both Video and Audio are "Direct Stream" and that it's "Converting." On the client, it regularly locks up for ~1 minute at a time.

The Apple TV is wireless, but it's not far from the router and I can run speedtests on my laptop near it all day at 80 Mbps.

If I use "Convert Automatically" it seems to do okay, but gets fairly blurry / low quality at times. If I queue up the same thing at the same time on my laptop using the Web Client and choose "Convert Automatically" my laptop seems to struggle pretty bad. If I set my laptop to "Original Quality" and stop playback on the Apple TV it also buffers constantly or basically doesn't play at all. If I put it on Auto quality, it dips down to less than 1 Mbps fairly often.

Then I thought, let me check on my phone (Pixel XL 2) to see if it has the same problem on LTE. No problem, can play at Original Quality or a converted quality without any issues at all. Hop on the wifi, and no problem at all. Try again on the Apple TV and Web Player, same issues as before.

Kind of scratching my head here, but leaning towards an internet/network connection that I'm not seeing with speedtests and ping. Any thoughts?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

So I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with constant buffering on an Apple TV 4k, Plex server is a Shield TV with no other streaming going on. Internet upload speed on the server is 1 Gbps, download speed on the client is 80 Mbs. Seems like a recipe for everything to "just work," but no such luck.

Found a 1080p media that has a bitrate of about 11 Mbps. Set the Apple TV to use original quality, just to attempt to take transcoding out of the picture. On the web interface "Now Playing" it shows that both Video and Audio are "Direct Stream" and that it's "Converting." On the client, it regularly locks up for ~1 minute at a time.

The Apple TV is wireless, but it's not far from the router and I can run speedtests on my laptop near it all day at 80 Mbps.

If I use "Convert Automatically" it seems to do okay, but gets fairly blurry / low quality at times. If I queue up the same thing at the same time on my laptop using the Web Client and choose "Convert Automatically" my laptop seems to struggle pretty bad. If I set my laptop to "Original Quality" and stop playback on the Apple TV it also buffers constantly or basically doesn't play at all. If I put it on Auto quality, it dips down to less than 1 Mbps fairly often.

Then I thought, let me check on my phone (Pixel XL 2) to see if it has the same problem on LTE. No problem, can play at Original Quality or a converted quality without any issues at all. Hop on the wifi, and no problem at all. Try again on the Apple TV and Web Player, same issues as before.

Kind of scratching my head here, but leaning towards an internet/network connection that I'm not seeing with speedtests and ping. Any thoughts?

Is this a local setup, i.e., is your server on the same network as the Apple TV 4K? If so, your internet speeds have no impact on streaming performance; it's your home network/WiFi that determines how well stuff can be played back. Hardwire your Apple TV and laptop, and see if that remedies the buffering issues on either of those devices. And turn any auto adjust quality/auto convert settings off in the Plex app on the Apple TV. You don't need those in a local setup.

[edit] You should also be able to playback files in original quality on both your laptop and your Apple TV 4K no problem, both at the same time even. Also, don't use the Web App on your laptop. Install the Plex Media Player app and see if that also remedies any buffering issues as well. The Web App lacks certain codecs that could maybe be causing your Shield to poo poo itself when converting something to be played in a browser.

[edit 2] Alternatively, to troubleshoot further, install Plex Media Server on your laptop, hardware it, and try to playback the same file on the AppleTV that's using the laptop as its PMS instead of the Shield.

Nm! Remote playback issues it seems.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 2, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, yes this is streaming across the internet. Local always works fine. Tried on a hardwired desktop and saw similar issues, but I'm still baffled by the phone working okay. Going to play around with it some more, as right now what I'm seeing is making it hard to pin down to one specific issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry, yes this is streaming across the internet. Local always works fine. Tried on a hardwired desktop and saw similar issues, but I'm still baffled by the phone working okay. Going to play around with it some more, as right now what I'm seeing is making it hard to pin down to one specific issue.

If I had to guess, your Shield might be crapping itself when it has to remux (Direct Stream) files for the AppleTV and the Plex Web app. Your Pixel 2 likely natively supports the file format, and just played it back in its original format (Direct Play) without any remuxing.

Try remote playback using the Plex Media Player app (not the Plex Web app) on the desktop/laptop and see if that resolves any buffering issues.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

https://www.plex.tv/blog/beginning-look-lot-like-collections/

It looks like it's just an automated version of smart/custom playlists you can make from scratch but they're are now at the forefront and more easily accessible. The only reason I've tagged collection metadata from thmoviedb.org was so that I can have collection listings like this:

show up across all Plex apps for various film series/franchises/etc.

Doesn't look like it. Collections are a per library basis it seems.

Ive been testing , yes you can add items from seperate libraries to one collection.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Ive been testing , yes you can add items from seperate libraries to one collection.

Well that's neat. I haven't installed the beta PMS to try it out; where do you access collections in the Plex Web/Media Player app?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Well that's neat. I haven't installed the beta PMS to try it out; where do you access collections in the Plex Web/Media Player app?

Click the drop down at the top if the page that says “all”. Then select “collections”. Itll show existing collections in your library

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Click the drop down at the top if the page that says “all”. Then select “collections”. Itll show existing collections in your library

Oh boo, that's the same way you do it now lol. I was hoping maybe it'd be in the sidebar under playlists or something. That'd make more sense to me if they're wanting to push the feature.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Oh boo, that's the same way you do it now lol. I was hoping maybe it'd be in the sidebar under playlists or something. That'd make more sense to me if they're wanting to push the feature.

Yeah its not intuitive at all. If youre adding a movie from another library, it wont auto-fill the name under tags, either. At least not the for the first entry. After tagging “the making of jaws” as part of the “jaws” collection, it didnt work. I had to open “Jaws” and look at its tag to learn that tmdb tags it as “The Jaws”. Once the collection was created in the separate library, it autofilled for subsequent entries.

Most are easy to guess (Alien, Back to The Future, etc). Others are not (Frankenstein (universal series))

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 4, 2018

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'm struggling with Direct Stream frequently buffering on an Apple TV 4, locally. Other clients don't have the same behavior, and I've ruled out networking, I/O and server processor. I'm often getting slow queries in my logs (but those may have been happening all along).

No answers yet, but you're likely not alone, Internet Explorer.

edit: yeah, this was my fault, actually. I had my Plex library and content on the same old Synology. I put a larger SSD in my local Plex server and moved the library to it, and everything's peachy keen. :eng99:

bort fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 4, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kind of annoyed at my Shield. On top of the colorspace issue, I can't get 5.1 output from the Plex app. I have my Shield going in to my TV and then ARC out to my receiver. Dolby, DTS, and non-stereo PCM output to receiver in Plex work fine in my Smart TV app and on my Fire TV. But Plex/Shield only do stereo and I can't seem to force or enable it no matter what options I hit where. I have to use the Plex app in Kodi, where I can enable Dolby and DTS support in Kodi settings, for it to work. It's livable since I only have my receiver on once in a blue moon but still loving annoying.

Granted, my Onkyo receiver is old and the ARC on it is wonky, but drat it it I didn't have this issue on the two other Plex apps/devices or my HTPC

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
The plex app on ATV 4K has a quirk. When scrolling through the alphabet on the far right, the letters dont correspond to the titles. Anyone else having this?

Also, having collections enabled when viewing titles is annoying when you only have one movie in the collection.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Is it just me or is updating PMS an absolute loving chore in Windows? 100% of the time the web client update won't work and will require a manual update, which will then just hang forever when trying to update until it just randomly works one attempt. Does anyone have any clues or hints on how to make it actually work? This has been a problem for as long back as I can remember.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wow, I have never had any issues with the wen interface update working.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

When I try to use the "install" option it thinks for a moment then just says it can't and to do it manually. Then the only effective way I've found to actually get the update to work is killing every plex process, running the update as an admin, waiting ten minutes and praying.

It just finally worked after like ten attempts. Finally.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

iajanus posted:

Is it just me or is updating PMS an absolute loving chore in Windows? 100% of the time the web client update won't work and will require a manual update, which will then just hang forever when trying to update until it just randomly works one attempt. Does anyone have any clues or hints on how to make it actually work? This has been a problem for as long back as I can remember.

Must be something weird about your setup, mine updates fine every time. I even usually initiate updates from the Chrome Plex client (which still works fine) on a Chromebook.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My set up is a standard install on a bog standard windows 10 box :shrug: no odd settings.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's not just you, I had issues with it as well when I had a Windows fileserver running Plex. It wasn't consistent either and if you go on their forums you find many identical issues. I moved everything to UnRAID a few weeks ago and been smooth sailing since using Plex in a docker.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s not just Windows, the last two updates on my OS X install have had the ‘check update’ button greyed out, which means having to do it manually. That’s as far as I’ve had to go luckily, but something is up.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The FreeBSD version can’t auto update either. Seems lazy.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

bobfather posted:

The FreeBSD version can’t auto update either. Seems lazy.

Well it took them years of people complaining to set up a rpm repo but still refuse to set the rpm to restart plex after upgrade

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the official docker container is the closest thing to a full-assed *nix implementation. A web interface update would still be better, but docker stop plex && docker start plex isn't hard.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The debian-based ones (e.g. Ubuntu) work fairly well.

Non-plexpass version has a repo update as well, though you still need to manually restart the server with that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

iajanus posted:

My set up is a standard install on a bog standard windows 10 box :shrug: no odd settings.

Maybe it's a network configuration issue rather than a software issue on the server itself. I have to do a ton of port forwarding fuckery (to enable remote access) but nevertheless everything works as expected after I do that. Failing that, maybe it's a permissions issue? I mean I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas for a problem I've never personally experienced, despite all the other Plex issues I've had to deal with.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Maybe it's a network configuration issue rather than a software issue on the server itself. I have to do a ton of port forwarding fuckery (to enable remote access) but nevertheless everything works as expected after I do that. Failing that, maybe it's a permissions issue? I mean I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas for a problem I've never personally experienced, despite all the other Plex issues I've had to deal with.

Yeah, I'm not sure and since i only bother to update when I feel like wasting an hour it doesn't cause too many issues. Nothing complicated with the networking - Australia having garbage internet I've never bothered even trying to use plex outside the home.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have PMS installed on my Windows 10 PC natively at the moment and the web browser update just works and has always worked. Don’t have anything else to add other than my anecdote since we’re doing that.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
I use this to update Plex on FreeNAS: https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater

As a side note: FreeNAS is trash and I would only recommend it to my worst enemies.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dem Bones posted:

As a side note: FreeNAS is trash and I would only recommend it to my worst enemies.
Isn't needed now since plex is in the BSD pkg system, though apparently that lags official relases by about a week.
code:
pkg install plexmediaserver [OR plexmediaserver-plexpass]
sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES [for restart startup]
code:
pkg upgrade
service plexmediaserver restart
Of course, for some reason video transcoding performance in a jail has flatlined recently for unknown reasons (transcoder will randomly just drop out every few minutes and require a stream restart, which makes it unusable), so I've moved plex back into a VM.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 8, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Dem Bones posted:

Let's hear this FreeNAS rant!

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

lurksion posted:

Isn't needed now since plex is in the BSD pkg system, though apparently that lags official relases by about a week.
code:
pkg install plexmediaserver [OR plexmediaserver-plexpass]
sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES [for restart startup]
code:
pkg upgrade
service plexmediaserver restart
Of course, for some reason video transcoding performance in a jail has flatlined recently for unknown reasons (transcoder will randomly just drop out every few minutes and require a stream restart, which makes it unusable), so I've moved plex back into a VM.

I'd have to move my Plex install to a new jail to try using the pkg version (since my Plex jail was initially created in FreeNAS 9.3), so I'd really rather just finally move everything to a Linux/Docker setup. See also: FreeNAS is trash.

bobfather posted:

Let's hear this FreeNAS rant!

Oh, okay!

FreeNAS tries to put up a veneer of "enterprise-grade" while also targeting home enthusiasts. Meanwhile they ignore critical bugs and constantly break poo poo (see FreeNAS Corral/10). Plugins, one of the "so-EZ" home enthusiast selling points, are always incredibly outdated and difficult to configure. The UI is bad. You have bad defaults, poor documentation, and hundreds of ways to shoot yourself in the foot, combined with a Stockholm-syndromed developer/user community that will blame users for anything and everything. ZFS is a poor value proposition for most home/media users (the ZFS community has finally started to think about RAIDZ expansion, so it should land in FreeNAS around 2025).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've said it in the NAS thread and I'll say it here, unRAID is worth every penny for a home NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Dem Bones posted:

FreeNAS tries to put up a veneer of "enterprise-grade" while also targeting home enthusiasts. Meanwhile they ignore critical bugs and constantly break poo poo (see FreeNAS Corral/10). Plugins, one of the "so-EZ" home enthusiast selling points, are always incredibly outdated and difficult to configure. The UI is bad. You have bad defaults, poor documentation, and hundreds of ways to shoot yourself in the foot, combined with a Stockholm-syndromed developer/user community that will blame users for anything and everything. ZFS is a poor value proposition for most home/media users (the ZFS community has finally started to think about RAIDZ expansion, so it should land in FreeNAS around 2025).

I agree a lot with your thoughts. I have some of my own though. I liken FreeNAS to Ubiquiti. Both are "Enterprise" solutions marketed to consumers. Both have a fairly laborious setup, and both are meant to "just work" after setup. I never touch FreeNAS itself, as I never touch my UniFi Controller software. I never need to. And after laborious setup both systems run flawlessly with basically 100% uptime outside of patches/updates.

I never used Corral, but I always see the FreeNAS devs take a lot of (deserved) flak for it. On the other hand, it takes guts to spend a lot of time developing something and hyping it up, then release it to a tepid response and be ok with telling users "forget Corral ever existed and just revert to 9 until 11 is ready".

Plugins are valid to complain about, but also understand that they're a built-in concession for people who have never used UNIX-type systems in their lives. I chose to build individual jails for all the software I run, and I think a lot of other people who know how to do that choose to do it also. There's also a ton of user write-ups on the FreeNAS forums about how to get most popular packages running in a jail, without using plugins.

Finally, I've noticed a lot of FreeNAS users have started to recommend mirrored vdevs over RAIDZ. I started with a RAIDZ pool and switched to RAID10 when I got rid of a bunch of smaller drives and replaced them with fewer, larger drives. I'm happy to get all the benefits of ZFS without the disadvantages of RAIDZ.