Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It has to do with LILO, they're back end system being really finnicky and buggy if it senses something like that in what's considered a "multi period". Its dumb but so is almost all of the back end technology at Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Why can't they fix that poo poo? They are a multi billion dollar corporation. Hire some goddamn geeks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Braksgirl posted:

Why can't they fix that poo poo? They are a multi billion dollar corporation. Hire some goddamn geeks.

~ * ~ legacy code ~ * ~

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The program they use to sell tickets is like one step away from being DOS.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

My brothers college program time consisted on working on the engineering backend poo poo and he told me they just don’t care to fix that poo poo. It’s not their main concern, it works well enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
...which is why the launch of the app and every new feature put in is full of bugs and issues. The app itself is fine, but they have to make it interface with their ancient other systems and that’s where the trouble is.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I wonder what the general cost would be to fix it. $100 million? $500 million? One Avatar sequel?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bottom Liner posted:

...which is why the launch of the app and every new feature put in is full of bugs and issues. The app itself is fine, but they have to make it interface with their ancient other systems and that’s where the trouble is.

sounds pretty par for any sale system imo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I have no experience with backend software stuff just saying I've heard that's where a lot of the frustration comes from. My friend took what was supposed to be a temporary position with the MDE app help services and it became an entire permanent branch.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anya posted:

I wonder what the general cost would be to fix it. $100 million? $500 million? One Avatar sequel?

Just blurp out a Star Wars exclusive Blu-ray about the life of Chewie. Bam, there's your cash.

Or rerelease the Star Wars Christmas remastered on 4K Blu-ray. Either way will make you enough to get some good coders.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Circle of Life in The Land closes for good on Feb 2nd to make way for a performance theater for the drama groups and casting. I used to love it as a kid but haven't done it in years. Also they gave us over 20 years to warn us about climate change and we didn't listen so we might as well get rid of it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I always thought it was weird that Disney produced a film about how resort complexes are bad for the environment and screened it at their resort complex

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tim Whatley posted:

Also they gave us over 20 years to warn us about climate change and we didn't listen so we might as well get rid of it.

The last showing should just be Simba looking very upset at the audience, and keep it there until everyone gets the point and leaves on their own.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Boxman posted:

The last showing should just be Simba looking very upset at the audience, and keep it there until everyone gets the point and leaves on their own.

Nah, gotta use Cloud Mufasa for this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah man atkeast run Symbiosis in there a bit before they turn it literally into nothing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ah man atkeast run Symbiosis in there a bit before they turn it literally into nothing

Isn’t it just Symbiosis with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

Circle of Life in The Land closes for good on Feb 2nd to make way for a performance theater for the drama groups and casting. I used to love it as a kid but haven't done it in years. Also they gave us over 20 years to warn us about climate change and we didn't listen so we might as well get rid of it.

It's not confirmed right yet but it's likely. I commented to my mom while we were down there that I was really surprised it was still playing. Psychic Fluffy.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread and I've done as much searching as my meager skills allow me to find an appropriate place to ask this. Any advice on excursions on Disney cruises? We are heading out of Port Canaveral in the spring for a week and need tips on what types of on-shore excursions are worthwhile? Sorry if this has been asked before or if this is the wrong thread, but I'm dumb.

Thanks

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We did a short cruise this past March, but the only stop was Castaway Key. We basically beelined it for the adult only beach and spent the day there. It was pleasant.
As far as on the boat, pay for at least one dinner at the up charge restaurant. It is absolutely worth that bit extra.
If you have children, look into the whole "going fishing" thing for outside your room.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Yes, I stupidly forgot to mention that we are, in fact going with our two kids (ages11 & 7).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
On castaway they have one of those flying water jet things, maybe do that

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I assume you're going to the Caribbean? Obviously, Castaway Cay is amazing for the whole family. I could recommend some things in Mexico if you can let me know where exactly you're going. I've been on cruises to Mexico a bunch and pretty much all the cruise lines have the same excursions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They do a 5k run/walk on Castaway Key that’s free, just signup onboard beforehand. You get a cute Mickey medal.

Bike rental on Castaway Key was also a lot of fun for seeing the island and getting back and forth from the boat to the adult beach.

Eat lunch on the ship or find something local at each port. The Disney provided food on Castaway was garbage compared to the ships buffet. Seek out some fried conch, it’s incredible.

Snorkeling was awesome if you’ve never been. There are a lot of options, just make sure it’s one that takes you out to sea a bit and isn’t in an enclosed place. We saw a ton of wildlife and spent a good hour and a half in the water.

For specific excursions find a few that look interesting and google reviews, people post a lot of info on them and some people have done a lot of cruise and compare the options for you and recommend specific vendors if they’re third party options.

General Disney cruise tips:

Do the aqua duck slide at night, it’s a great view and there’s no line (assuming you’re on that ship).

Watch all of the nighttime shows, they’re amazing, like broadway caliber and better than anything at WDW proper aside from Nemo.

If you like something at dinner or want to try two options just ask, you can literally ask for one of everything and the waiter will be happy to provide. I had like 3 of the tuna/avocado/wasabi appetizers one night because they were so good.

Dress up for pirate/Star Wars night (or whatever special event your boat does), it’s a lot of fun.

Eat a banana ice cream cone every time you pass that machine. You will resent its absence when you’re back on land.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 6, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Trip report: Yay?

I didn't get a lot from the new fireworks. It was hard for me to tell what was going on. That may be on me.

Skipper Cantina was good, but they stopped serving their awesome bread. :argh:

Dole whip still rules.

We've decided to not ride DW PotC ever again because DL is so much better we were just sad the whole time.

Red vest Country Bear gave me a thumbs up on my Trader Sam's shirt.

Day 2: Yay??

Brown Derby still rules.

I still can't ride Star Tours without getting sick.

Soft serve is good and single rider on the rollercoaster is also good.

I still shriek like a literal little girl on Tower of Terror

I got pot roast stuck in my teeth just before Fantasmic and I was in terrible pain for the whole thing.

I got nauseous just before the Star Wars fireworks and was unable to focus. Stayed on a bench until after closing when we hobbled into first aid and they helped me with an ice pack and a toilet. Apparently I can't throw up in toilets that keep autoflushing and/or are in public. :barf:

Day 3: Yay???
Tiffins was good but my wife was unimpressed for reasons she can't explain.

I am never riding the Avatar flying thing again. :barf:Also our wait was 120 minutes longer than predicted so we missed our safari.

Ice cream at the truck in Asia is a pro move.

We both fell asleep during rivers of light.

We saw the butt of a pig and some macaws but no other animals

Day 4: Yay! Cute begins here.

First day with family. My SiL doesn't understand that you need fastpasses and research to do anything here. She was frustrated when we had only done Monsters Inc by 1pm.

Took two year old nephew in to see Mickey. He ran over to hug Mickey and spent the rest of the time taking Mickey to see his own (Mickey's) shoes.

Wife and I had arranged fastpasses for Dumbo and surrendered our magic bands so they could do that as a family.

Nephew loved the Casey Jr. Circus water play area which none of us had realized was even there. Most fun he had all day.

Ended the day on Small World. Apparently he was loving adorable on that, but I volunteered to take my 7-week old niece outside when she started shrieking just before boarding. She's really cute, though. Also! Apparently the grating in the line at Small World is amazing to lick as we had a hard time stopping our nephew from doing it.

Day 5: Skip day, but tons of family drama that I'm pretty sure is my fault for taking us to the park Days 1-3. Also, SiL gets upset hearing about the honestly amazing fastpasses Other SiL has arranged for us. Lady just hates the idea of a schedule, even when the things are hours apart.

Day 6: :(

I wanted my wife and I to try the food in Pandora. Somehow this turned into EVERYONE going there for lunch, mostly consisting of picky eaters. It did not go over well. Dessert was good, though.

On the way to Festival of the Lion King we swung through a gift shop to look for candy for my nephew. I start tearing up under my sunglasses because I feel like I've let everyone down, and they're on more of a budget than we are, so it's extra bad.

My wife notices I'm acting off so she asks me what's wrong and I start sobbing. :cry:

Somehow, this causes a nosebleed.

My wife gets directions to the nearest bathroom and the nice cashier lady also gives me the whole box of tissues they keep at the register.

Family except us sees Lion King. We go on a Safari we randomly had fastpasses for. We see All of the Animals, including a baby elephant.

Why do they have Dole Whip without pineapple juice?

Finding Nemo is super intense. Also 7-week old niece destroys her diaper minutes before the doors open. We're not entirely sure how she had that much inside her in the first place.

Restaurant-asaurus is not bad. Got to eat two brownies because nephew didn't want his.

Nephew loved the dinosaur statues around Dinosaur.

Second safari. It was dark and there were no elephants. Hyena was vocalizing, which was cool. I really wish our nephew had seen elephants though. They're his favorite.

Did I mention this is Christmas Day? I forgot to call my mom.

Day 7: skip day.

Day 8: :yayclod:

This was the day my wife and I took our nephew alone to Hollywood!

There was an open slot in the animation courtyard and he really wanted to play with the Mickey gear logo.

We learn Pluto is coming in 5 minutes. He hugs Pluto and then runs to continue playing with the set dressing.

Disney Jr. Live on Stage was good, but they need to install another bubble blower because we got shafted. My wife and I got thoroughly lost because we don't know anything about these shows.

Took him to meet Chewbacca. He starts crying randomly 10 minutes from the front and is utterly implacable. A cast member asks what's wrong and then says she wants to help us, so she magics up a lion king baby thingy which was really nice. Utterly implacable.

Parked him in a stroller where he sleeps for 90+ minutes. We watch stormtroopers and Dr. McStuffins and Girl Princess and Jake go backstage and then come right back out again, mysteriously. Nephew wakes up and resumes crying immediately.

Late lunch at ABC. Their Happy Daze drink is really good. Also, I discover that dropping a thing and saying "Oops" is literally the funniest thing ever. Nephew eats every single ice cube we have.

Actual ice cream also went over well.

Went over towards muppets when he recognised Olaf so we got in line to meet him. 5 minutes from the front I prevented him from throwing himself on a chain held together by magnets and he starts melting down. The cast member you see before they take you in tries telling him jokes, but he won't have it. I tell her about dropping something and saying oops so she does it and then is like " Oh my god it actually worked" she kept doing it through pictures and some of them were cute.

We went to Fantasmic. While we were waiting, one of the other parks had fireworks, which he'd never seen before. He said "Wow" a lot. When they were over, he kept staring at that patch of sky and continued to say "wow", possibly in the hope that it would make them go again.

Fantasmic went over extremely well. I enjoyed it more too.

There were other days, but they involved mostly repeats, except the last day when we just went to see the baby tigers. Baby tigers are cute. A++ would watch frolic again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You’re a great uncle :3:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I've just become a step uncle this year and the kids are a little older, so thankfully I get to miss the whole crying for no reason part and instead deal with sugared up insanity and teenage stuff. Sounds like you're doing a great job though man, thanks for the awesome write-up!

My parents and I were there for a Very Merry Christmas party on December 15th and the spot we staked out for the parade was apparently the area where the Country Bears were hanging out. We spent about twenty minutes goofing around with them and it was awesome.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Lots of good stuff

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Braksgirl, we are going to Cozumel, that is all I know about Mexico.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If you're interested in snorkeling and stuff like that, Chankanaab is really fun. It's kind of like a beach water park thing. Our excursion there included a buffet and all you can drink free bar. The food was decent, drinks were a little watery, but not awful. If you want to swim with dolphins, this is where you want to go.

You can do the ruins from Cozumel but it's a pretty long drive. If you're going to do a long drive anyway, go to Xcaret. It's an eco theme park. No rides, but you can swim through caves and they have a beach area that's super nice. They have a butterfly sanctuary that's very pretty as well. I think kids would love it.

Of course, you can skip the excursions altogether and take a $7 taxi and go shopping. That's ok, especially if you've never been to Cozumel before. I've been a bunch of times so I'm kind of over the shopping.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

If you're interested in snorkeling and stuff like that, Chankanaab is really fun. It's kind of like a beach water park thing. Our excursion there included a buffet and all you can drink free bar. The food was decent, drinks were a little watery, but not awful. If you want to swim with dolphins, this is where you want to go.

You can do the ruins from Cozumel but it's a pretty long drive. If you're going to do a long drive anyway, go to Xcaret. It's an eco theme park. No rides, but you can swim through caves and they have a beach area that's super nice. They have a butterfly sanctuary that's very pretty as well. I think kids would love it.

Of course, you can skip the excursions altogether and take a $7 taxi and go shopping. That's ok, especially if you've never been to Cozumel before. I've been a bunch of times so I'm kind of over the shopping.

Don't forget that you can kiss a live seal at Chankanaab.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I had to punch that seal in the face for macking on my man.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Re: Cozumel;

Chankanaab is great. The submerged statues are really cool and make me wish that I was halfway decent at underwater photography. The current can be a little strong at certain parts of the day. Also, Eat at La Choza. I recommend the chicken w/ black bean sauce (Pollo en Relleno Negro).

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 7, 2018

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
We want to hit Traders Sams Grog Grotto on Monday Feb 5, the day we arrive. Assuming we check in at the bar early evening, what kind of wait can we expect? The Undercover Tourist crowd calendar says that day is a 3/10, if that matters.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Probably no wait. That’s the ideal time of year to do anything here. We have t had to wait to get in any of the times we’ve been.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Baring Fridays and Saturdays (and special mug release days) there really isn't a wait to get into Sams all that much any more. It can fill up fast, since they only seat about 50 people inside, but a spot will open quickly usually. Most people drink and get the hell out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also Trader Sam's is the absolute best place to hang out with strangers and chat for a while. Everyone that goes there is pretty drat cool.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

Also Trader Sam's is the absolute best place to hang out with strangers and chat for a while. Everyone that goes there is pretty drat cool.

This. We have met the best people sitting at the Surfboard table in the middle. Watch out for the height changing bar stools

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Now that I think about it, Trader Sam's is absolutely where the Disney Goonmeet should happen.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yo that would own hard.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Thanks! I think this is what we are going to end up doing, sounds awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Well it looks like we'll be there the evening of Monday, Feb 5. Hours unknown, but probably early evening -- we're going to MK as soon as we check into the hotel, and the park closes at 8 that night. If anyone else can swing by, look for us. I'll be the goofy-looking guy with the pretty wife.