Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Slow rolling is holding back on a winning play in order to draw out the game, slow playing is taking more than a fair amount of time to male decisions in your game, especially if there is no decision tobe made. You can play at full speed while slow rolling. Both are childish responses to what someone is doing in a card game but only one is against the rules (as far as I know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Slowrolling (in this context) would be forcing your opponent to go through the motions of decking you out even if you're drawing dead, but still playing at a reasonable pace throughout. It's something you're absolutely entitled to do and if your opponent can't finish the job before the round ends, too bad for them.

Slow play is if you're taking more time than is reasonable to play your turns - for example, you just drew your fourth land in your draw step (there's been a lantern out for a few turns so everyone knows your hand is all lands), but you shuffle your hand around for ten seconds before passing the turn back. If you do this you should be getting warnings to play faster followed by game losses, but judges kinda suck at actually enforcing it.

Stalling is if you're deliberately slow playing in order to take advantage of the round clock, and if you do it you should be getting a big fat time out from playing competitive magic for at least the next few months. It's also not very well enforced in a lot of places, sadly.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Yes it's literally impossible to have 3 or 4 relevant cards in a row. You haven't ended the game yet so nobody is obligated to concede.

Unless you break out of the 3 mill rock + lantern lock, then they're suddenly mad that they have to try to actually play the game instead of sitting behind their 3 mana artifact that stops the game from being played. At least that's the case based on my personal experience.

have you ever actually experienced this, or is this a hypothetical in your mind? especially since the lantern player is going to continue to draw cards that reinforce their lock pieces like redundant copies or Academy Ruins.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So this shows up on my Twitter line today:

https://twitter.com/CraigKrempels/status/950177647702749186

I know it's a local to NJ grinder scene issue but I know both these people so it's interesting to me at least. Pretty lovely of Krempels to post this if you ask me. To publicly accuse someone of cheating who you have a vastly larger platform than so they can't really defend themselves. DCI is there for a reason.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

So this shows up on my Twitter line today:

https://twitter.com/CraigKrempels/status/950177647702749186

I know it's a local to NJ grinder scene issue but I know both these people so it's interesting to me at least. Pretty lovely of Krempels to post this if you ask me. To publicly accuse someone of cheating who you have a vastly larger platform than so they can't really defend themselves. DCI is there for a reason.

Eh, the grinders making beneficial "mistakes" needs to lessen and I okay with public shaming until it does. Since its still a freeroll in competitive rel, its basically the only option.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Korey McCheaty posted:

Hey guys, Korey here. OK so I was linked by a friend on Facebook to this, and honestly it really shocks me as the first time I've heard anything about it since it happened and I really think it's being blown out of proportion, for no reason at all. But I feel like I need to make a statement for the greater good because the hive mind has taken over, it seems. To preface if any of you were there, you would have know first-hand, that it was only a simple misunderstanding that happened off-camera. Don't go pointing fingers so easily, especially when you are hiding behind the comfort of your keyboards and won't dare say any of it to me in person, because a. you know it isn't true and b. it's easier to call people out and berate them on an internet forum. I can tell you now that I'm one of the cleanest players on the circuit and anyone of my friends or reputable people in the community who I've interacted with can vouch for me. (Feel free to send any of our mutual friends a Facebook message to verify). In fact, I am honestly disappointed, as I have lurked this subreddit in the past for News and spoilers for years on years now and I've always thought this was a tight knit community, full of people who help each other and support the Magic community, and generally give people second chances or look at things from a different perspective (like the Zach Jesse situation when you all even made a petition to get him unbanned as he was banned unfairly) unlike other card games (ie. Yugioh... one of the scummiest communities I've seen and glad I chose the better game and I am no longer apart of their community for reasons I won't go into detail about). Now before I get to the actual thing in this video, for prior context me, and James get along very well, we've known each other for years and have even playtested, for GPs in the past. Also the audio was MUTED during this so you could not hear what we were saying. Look in the footage if you don't believe me, both James and myself were completely relaxed during this situation. It was during the end of his turn where he went to untap Tasigur, and the lands, he briefly touches the Shackles, yes what can be constituted as a "gentle touch," but for more context before this clip he had actually touched it prior and tilted it over 45 degrees, almost back into full position before his brain kicked in and stopped him, from doing so fully. I let that slide. Then he did some thinking and the clip starts, he untaps Tasigur, his lands, retaps and thinks, and touches shackles again. This I cannot allow. This is a tournament with thousands of dollars in prizing and the nation's best players, who understand and respect one's own mistakes as well as the rest of the competition. If you are making a mistake, you can't try and backpeddle and cover it up especially when there is such a large dividend of prize money on the line. Misplays are misplays. It happens. It's a part of the game, and when it does, you either profit from it or reap what you sow assuming you were the one misplaying. Was Yam Wing allowed to take back his misplay despite it being completely obvious that he won the match https://youtu.be/ggXoFJ8E9WI?t=1h34s for context. It isn't me angle shooting or cheating, as some have even called it, much less that I'm just following the rules of the game. In the rule book it states clearly that when a card is tapped, and a player makes contact it with the intention of untapping, that said intention is what makes it count. And for a split second, James definitely had the intention of doing so, despite the fact, that it was by his own error and tiredness. The intention is what matters and I will repeat it to you for emphasis here. He had the full INTENT of untapping, despite the fact that it may have thrown him the game. On the flip side, I did not have any intention of winning such a game over a player nor a friend by taking advantage of their ill intentions and if it were a non-feature I would have let it slide. However keep in mind at this feature there were the eyes of commentators, spectactors, and of course the table judge, who immediately haulted play to determine the scenario. I did not call the judge... more or less, the judge was just there and happened to witness the current events. Then he ruled the correct ruling in that the card was not tapped, which in hindsight is completely fair because he was only given a context of what happened and my opponent uncharacteristically lied about not touching the card at all (when you can see in the video that he does in fact make contact with shackles after touching his lands for the second time). So in reality if any one did any form of "cheating," it was James, as he verbally cheated by altering the series of events that happened on video. But obviously this could be human error, as he again was tired as to make the misplay in the first place so I'm not blaming him nor the judge. I really want to let all of this slide because again its getting blasted out of proportion and because of the lack of audio and the brigading that's happening I might even be out of a sponsorship or even ousted from the scene because of these ill rumors, rumors that are NOT true and are completely biased given a short clip of video footage and the commentator's confusion. Speaking of which definitely did not help, as the commentators are looking at the match from their own screen, and not in person, so they could not hear what was happening nor could they see what had happened in strict detail. What really happened was a series of unfortunate circumstances and a huge misunderstanding that's leapt a great bound, now onto the internet and I'm being accused of something completely assinine that didn't happen nor will it ever. Again, I'm one of the cleanest players in the game, and I can name tons of dirty players who people idolize on the circuit due to insider knowledge and know-how of testing circles. There are people who even discuss ways to cheat on Skype and these are players who Top 8 SCG's consistently and have heaps of prize money earned across numerous years, but again I won't mention their names out of respect and for their privacy. So next time you try to accuse somebody of cheating, get your facts straight and know the whole drat story. Your slander can ruin a person's entire career and personal lives given that this thread comes up in a google search of my name, and if I ever wanted to switch careers and had to get a 9-5 job then my employer would google me, read this title, and have a bias towards not hiring me based on something that strangers on the Internet have said. FYI, Magic is my current full time job and I love the game immensely; but for people, to say slanderous things and make up petty lies about me based on a few seconds of footage, this is just ignorant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He lost me at "Zach Jesse banned unfairly"

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yeah gently caress that guy. His attempts to advocate for his own actions just make me feel like he's a shittier dude than I already thought

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm not sure why that guy wrote a novel In a Reddit post, and also he really shouldn't have

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That sure is a lot of :words: but "If you touch a card and then reconsider and leave it, it before changing phases, then it counts as untapping it, because that's not what you ~intended~ for a brief second" ...doesn't sound according-to-Hoyle to me? :shrug:

E: Zach Jesse is the Literal Raper, right? Kind of a weird one to throw in with as another unjustly trod upon soul.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

That sure is a lot of :words: but "If you touch a card and then reconsider and leave it, it before changing phases, then it counts as untapping it, because that's not what you ~intended~ for a brief second" ...doesn't sound according-to-Hoyle to me? :shrug:

It shows you the level of angle shooting of these loving grinders.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Is it actually true that once you touch a card you cannot change your mind? What about that thing that loads of people seem to do where they pick up the top card of their library but don't look at it, and then put it back because they remembered an upkeep action they wanted to do?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Stangg posted:

Is it actually true that once you touch a card you cannot change your mind? What about that thing that loads of people seem to do where they pick up the top card of their library but don't look at it, and then put it back because they remembered an upkeep action they wanted to do?

No. Its like the "he looked me in the eye therefore he passed priority" crap you hear about from the old days.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

No. Its like the "he looked me in the eye therefore he passed priority" crap you hear about from the old days.

and in that vein its legal to retap your mana as long as its before you declare the spell right? (Providing I guess you havent said out loud you're adding x mana of x colours to your mana pool)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Stangg posted:

and in that vein its legal to retap your mana as long as its before you declare the spell right? (Providing I guess you havent said out loud you're adding x mana of x colours to your mana pool)

Yeah you can do whatever you want with your lands before you pass priority and declare the spell as cast. You don't have to say which lands are tapping for what, either, as long as some combination of those lands could cast the spell. That's usually only relevant with casting a creature using cavern of souls though. Korey is just being an angle shooting shithead, his opponent didn't move on to the next phase at all so even if he did momentarily touch or untap the shackles it wouldn't matter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

E: Zach Jesse is the Literal Raper, right? Kind of a weird one to throw in with as another unjustly trod upon soul.

Yeah there’s a reason I rant about grinders and angle shooting in this thread every now and then.

Stangg posted:

Yeah but be careful since this is also how some people will find “more mana” to play with. Especially if it’s between turns since the opponent can forget what’s been played earlier.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Korey Mcheatey posted:

He had the full INTENT of untapping, despite the fact that it may have thrown him the game. On the flip side, I did not have any intention of winning such a game over a player nor a friend by taking advantage of their ill intentions and if it were a non-feature I would have let it slide.

Every time I briefly look over the iceberg of text I find new gems.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would say Storm’s resurgence is the reason most top players don’t jump on the Lantern bandwagon.

Also, holy gently caress the projection on that screed. “I wasn’t cheating! HE was cheating!!! Argleblargle!”

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
"I'm not as bad as all these other people you know and love that I could prove are cheaters, but I won't because... because!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I would say Storm’s resurgence is the reason most top players don’t jump on the Lantern bandwagon.

Also, holy gently caress the projection on that screed. “I wasn’t cheating! HE was cheating!!! Argleblargle!”

Lantern has a good storm matchup.... Most people don't play lantern because it's boring as gently caress. It will be all over the PT though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:rip: guy who cheats on camera in the activity he makes a living on but has the awareness that perhaps this action could also hurt future employment.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Did he delete that post? I don't see it on Reddit right now.

I can confirm that it's not illegal to touch your own cards and not untap them, though.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I can confirm that it's not illegal to touch your own cards and not untap them, though.

Here you go
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/7otixg/korey_mcduffie_angle_shooting/dscugu0/

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Once, when I was 14 I tried to angle shoot another kid my age (at a county champs). I immediately felt awful and it's stuck with me ever since and I've never done anything like it ever again.

I've been pretty lucky since I came back that everyone I've played against at comp and prof REL has been more than fair and I've even had some cases on both sides where I or my opponent has let off a genuine mistake.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How the hell does a middling SCG grinder make enough to have magic be his full time job?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

How the hell does a middling SCG grinder make enough to have magic be his full time job?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There's no way he's pulling in more than he would at some rando entry level office gig sitting in a cube farm, minus actual benefits. I mean guess if you're ~doing what you love~, but man it's hard to get in the head space of having to be an angle grinding bully and still enjoy this game.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Everyone lives with their parents and makes poo poo wages now anyway, so you might as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Some people don't mind living in poverty to play a childrens card game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

odiv posted:

Everyone lives with their parents and makes poo poo wages now anyway, so you might as well.

There is zero chance someone like that makes even 10-15k a year on Magic winnings...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/7otixg/korey_mcduffie_angle_shooting/dscu16i/

There you go.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
FWIW I'm not sure if he still does, but he at least used to work at our LGS. Still not enough to live, but lots of people these days just survive it seems.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It honestly just sounds like a thing an unemployed person says to compensate for being unemployed at the cost of playing a card game, or if they're just delusional about what they are actually doing with their time. Most of the grinder/pro types who say magic is their living also write articles or make content of some kind, neither of which I can find any evidence of Mcduffie doing.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

FWIW I'm not sure if he still does, but he at least used to work at our LGS. Still not enough to live, but lots of people these days just survive it seems.

Was he an angle shooter then? Why’s he banned from Yugioh?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Cheating at an event. Of course he says the other guy cheated and was only banned for 4 years because the other guy was friends with the judge.

Cheater posted:

I am prescribed to Adderall for ADHD and have been since my adolescence so I'm honestly not sure where these drug allegations are stemming, from. Not sure why you people are jumping to slander me for a small instance of miscommunication. Even the judge agreed he posted above me that I was not in the wrong, if I did in fact cheat then they would have DQ'd and banned me from all SCG's. Also regarding the situation about the Monarch mirror you posted I don't want to go into detail as this is /r/Magic and not Yugioh, but long story short my opponent cheated me in that game and tried to make me look like a bad person when he was the first one to rule shark me and call me out on my sleeves being marked. That Monarch incident was just karma for what he did to me, unfortunately I was set up for failure as he was friends with the judge and knew him on a personal level. Of course said judge used the perfect choice of words to relay a DQ decision from the head judge well before taking me back behind the curtains, as he had signed the DQ papers already before I had a chance to explain my side of the story. Basically what I wrote on the DQ documents were irrelevant and weren't even read by Konami.

See the pattern?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Look it wasn't my fault I got DQ'd for cheating it was just a series of unfortunate events!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If I was willing to entertain the possibility he wasn't trash, the revelation that he was too lovely for the Yu Gi Oh community put that to bed.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thinking about selling about $400 worth of mythics and rares to ChannelFireball through their buylist/mail for store credit. Anybody have any horror stories about selling cards to them? Hoping I can turn all these random cards into fetches.

Already bummed they're not buying non-foil IMA Mana Drain, but oh well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

Thinking about selling about $400 worth of mythics and rares to ChannelFireball through their buylist/mail for store credit. Anybody have any horror stories about selling cards to them? Hoping I can turn all these random cards into fetches.

Already bummed they're not buying non-foil IMA Mana Drain, but oh well.

I had a few pack fresh cards get marked down, but by and large the one and only order I sent to CFB was good.

However, SCG has 50% trade in bonus right now. Maybe that's better?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I can't attest to whether or not he always has been, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ShaneB posted:

I had a few pack fresh cards get marked down, but by and large the one and only order I sent to CFB was good.

However, SCG has 50% trade in bonus right now. Maybe that's better?

If they still have that going when I'm ready to sell, I'll hit them up, thanks. I've never shipped cards. Where's the easiest place to get bubble mailers? I don't wanna just toss a plastic card case into an envelope or something.