Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I mean I don't want to crush your dreams, but AK has gotta be Alicia Keyes right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MrSargent posted:

I mean I don't want to crush your dreams, but AK has gotta be Alicia Keyes right?

if it were anyone else I'd probably say you were right but Kendrick was JT's costar in Trolls and the two of them are friends and have sung together before and Anna Kendrick is a bomb-rear end singer and please let me have this

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it's alicia keys, sorry fam

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am racking my brain to think of who the C.S. feature could be on Say Something but my guesses seem a bit out there. I was thinking either Carlos Santana or if it is indeed a more country-vibe (which I would hate), then I was thinking Chris Stapleton? Ugh.

Edit: Well hell I just looked it up and apparently it is Chris Stapleton.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Every publication seems to HATE Filthy so polarizing is definitely the word. I can't wait to hear more.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 6, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It basically sounds like Prince to me, which is fine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Every publication seems to HATE Filthy so polarizing is definitely the word. I can't wait to hear more.

What? How could you possibly hate this song. It's great and I'm not even a big JT fan.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

What? How could you possibly hate this song. It's great and I'm not even a big JT fan.

Based on my informal Instagram poll, 85% of people don’t like it.

I’m seriously questioning my friendships.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm not surprised that it's getting such a divisive reaction. This song is weird, dirty, abrasive and the exact opposite of what's trendy with music blog poptimists right now, which is why it owns

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Personally I think it sounds like garbage and I have no desire to listen to it ever again, but if it does something for y'all then that's cool I guess. I didn't like SexyBack either.

Seems like the album as a whole will be pretty varied and not a bunch of rehashes though, so that's cool.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I really really really hate the “if you know what’s good” parts, the production, the delivery, everything-

But I’m actually really fond of everything else. That bass line is infectious and I love how funky it is.

It’s a shame the beginning is so awful, it makes the song less repeatable for me. I cringe when he says it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm not surprised that it's getting such a divisive reaction. This song is weird, dirty, abrasive and the exact opposite of what's trendy with music blog poptimists right now, which is why it owns

also it is very much in the vein of FutureSex_LoveSounds which is still a stellar pop album that sounds like it's from ten years in the future, even though it's literally been over ten years since its release. 20/20 Experience was alright but the last decade has been without a transcendent JT song like My Love or Sexyback or Lovestoned_I Think She Knows.

Seriously have you listened to My Love recently that song fuckin' bangs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i took a trip down memory lane and while I'm sure part of it is nostalgia for my senior year of high school, which was the least lovely year in my schooling career (and the brief period before I realized college is loving awful), 2008/09 was the beginning of a really great female-led era of pop music. Most of the 2000s was really not a great time for pop but but those two years had multiple top ten singles each from:

Lady Gaga ("Just Dance", "Poker Face", "LoveGame", "Paparazzi", "Bad Romance")
Rhianna ("Don't Stop The Music", "Take a Bow", "Disturbia", "Live Your Life", "Run This Town")
Jordin Sparks ("Tattoo", "No Air", "One Step at a Time", "Battlefield")
Beyonce ("If I Were a Boy", "Single Ladies", "Halo", "Sweet Dreams")
Britney Spears ("Womanizer", "Circus", "If You Seek Amy", "3")
Taylor Swift ("Teardrops on My Guitar", "Love Story", "You Belong With Me")
Katy Perry ("I Kissed a Girl", "Hot n Cold", "Waking Up in Vegas")
Miley Cyrus ("See You Again", "The Climb", "Party in the USA")
Kelly Clarkson ("My Life Would Suck Without You", "I Do Not Hook Up", "Already Gone")
Alicia Keyes ("No One", "Empire State of Mind")
Mariah Carey ("Touch My Body", "Obsessed")
Pink ("So What", "Sober", "Please Don't Leave Me")
and technically Ke$ha ("Right Round" and "Tik Tok")

That collection of women (and i guess if you really wanted to toss Fergie in there you could since BEP were unescapable in 2009) ruled the charts from 2008 until about 2012, which is when the next group of women (Selena Gomez, Adele, Demi Lovato, Carly Rae, Nicki Minaj, Sia, Ellie Goulding) started to come up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Adele's first album was 2008. I remember "Chasing Pavements" being a decently popular song. :shrug:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Adele's first album was 2008. I remember "Chasing Pavements" being a decently popular song. :shrug:

not top 10 :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, of course not. I was thinking in terms of the UK.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This drum n bass remix was my first ever exposure to Adele in like 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqR3J2B09DE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I listened to Filthy. It’s bad

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actually, Filthy is good

Or it's the fun kind of bad, I actually can't tell the difference with this one.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This drum n bass remix was my first ever exposure to Adele in like 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqR3J2B09DE
Same.

And to this day I think that song (and the original) hold up.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I didn't like Filthy at all hearing it streamed out of the GF's phone, but I just listened to it again on speakers and didn't mind it at all. I doubt JT is truly ever going to break away from this Timbo sound, so I'm just enjoying more of the same.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I listened to it this morning on the treadmill and the wubwubwub was hella good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I'm in it entire for the bass line

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d maybe listen to an instrumental version but him just shouting random garbage over the top of the music really puts me off

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The more I listen to Filthy, the more I love it, but Justin continuing to promote his new album with ads like this seems really loving weird given the first single

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He just figured he should finally make music about Timber and Lakes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

These people who were babies when JT rose to fame liked Filthy. Except for that one girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KjAdQtlS4&t=274s

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The first Great Bop of twenty eighteen has arrived, and of course it is courtesy of Hailee Steinfeld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq5cYJ4vtvk

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Should I listen to Blue Lips even if I didn't like Lady Wood much?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

nomapple posted:

yeah. just listen to Disco Tits and if you like that get the whole album

and you will like it because Disco Tits is the tits

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If you don’t like disco tits then just listen to some other songs because a few of them are similar to QoTC-era style.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dua Lipa-IDGAF is amazing. The video is great too

https://youtu.be/Mgfe5tIwOj0

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Dua Lipa-IDGAF is amazing. The video is great too

https://youtu.be/Mgfe5tIwOj0
I heard this song a while back. I wonder if a lyric video or something was posted earlier in this thread.

I wonder what they're going to do for the radio edit.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I heard this song a while back. I wonder if a lyric video or something was posted earlier in this thread.

I wonder what they're going to do for the radio edit.

I am going to guess "I dont give a ffff"

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

nomapple posted:

I'm in this boat so yes you should. Though I've liked Blue Lips so much I'm gonna give Lady Wood another shot.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The clean version of IDGAF

"I don't give it up"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I listened to Camila Cabello's album and it's decent but doesn't really stand out. The first 4 tracks are the best

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sixT068YsQ

So Man of the Woods is officially "modern Americana with 808s”

:thunk:

I guess literally the only ties this thing has to Bon Iver anymore is that teaser video and some of the track names

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It sounds like a Justin Timberlake album with a couple of rootsy guitars in the background for flavor, and that's fine with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean he is from Tennessee, so if he starts making pop bangers that really embrace where he's from, then yeah, I'm all good with that.

Filthy didn't sound like that at all though lol