Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i like pop team epic but i would not recommend it to friends or family

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lol I assumed my copy was hosed up and downloaded it again

anywaay I laughed way too hard at the fidget spinner

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Pop Team Epic is funny but saying "its anime shitposting" is intensely lame imo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anime has been saved

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the pugyuru dude now only draws hentai lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

lol I assumed my copy was hosed up and downloaded it again

anywaay I laughed way too hard at the fidget spinner

They said it was part of the show in the beginning.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gag that made lol the most: the censorship on totoro

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like I said, the sudden Your Name parody complete with pitch perfect RADWIMPS soundalike had me rolling, mostly because I rewatched Your Name last week.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Thought the first episode was a lot better than I expected it to be! Never really thought the comic would do well in blocks of more than 10ish minutes, but they seemed to have pulled it off. Hopefully, they find a way to keep things weird and dynamic moving forward rather than just repeating the approach from the first episode. That said, I can totally understand why someone may not like the show/comic. A lot of the delivery has a tendency to lean into anti-humor, which I believe someone else noted in the thread, and that is definitely not for everyone.

Judging by the first episode's style, I could definitely see it fitting in on something like Adult Swim pretty easily. I do have my doubts as to whether a dub would be as effective, but I guess we'll see (and I say that as someone that is generally open to trying dubs and even prefers them in a number of cases).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Expect My Mom posted:

Pop Team Epic is funny but saying "its anime shitposting" is intensely lame imo

It's anime Robot Chicken (though with much much better writers)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's a lot closer to anime 12oz mouse.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's Wonder Showzen

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mokinokaro posted:

It's anime Robot Chicken (though with much much better writers)
jesus you're gonna kill me here, kiddo

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill
I was confused how they were going to adapt this series into an anime until I saw it. It's definitely interesting enough to keep me entertained but I probably won't recommend it to anybody else who's not already aware of the comics.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plutonis posted:

is it any good

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
bkub literally calls himself the "poo poo manga boy"

Griz
May 21, 2001

Kp posted:

I was confused how they were going to adapt this series into an anime until I saw it. It's definitely interesting enough to keep me entertained but I probably won't recommend it to anybody else who's not already aware of the comics.

I'm only vaguely aware of the comics and would recommend this show to anyone who's a fan of 2005ish adult swim stoner nonsense

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

I can't tell if I'd rather read this or if I just don't get it, but it can't be that bc there's nothing here to "get"
You got it, and that's that there is by design nothing to get. It's old-school trolling: a big joke without a punchline that people get in on to aggravate people looking for a punchline, making those looking for a greater meaning the punchline.

It's anti-humor and weird non-sequiturs mixed with just enough gags to make those not "in on it" think that there's something they're missing. Half the fun comes from audience participation.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Terper posted:

You got it, and that's that there is by design nothing to get. It's old-school trolling: a big joke without a punchline that people get in on to aggravate people looking for a punchline, making those looking for a greater meaning the punchline.

It's anti-humor and weird non-sequiturs mixed with just enough gags to make those not "in on it" think that there's something they're missing. Half the fun comes from audience participation.

Or, you know, it could just be a weird style of humor that a lot of people enjoy and some don't really get and not some strange conspiracy to gently caress with you personally.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That too.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

is poputepipic, dare i say it, the Laibach of anime?

"The big question that everybody is asking herself or himself appropos Poputepipic, is Bkub taking himself seriously or is it meant in an ironic way? Well I think this is of course the wrong alternative, because the automatic assumption of this question is that: if your attitude towards a certain social system, system of social values, etcetera, is ironic that then you are subversive, you take it seriously you are a conformist etcetera. I think that the whole point, the basic underlying premise of Poputepipic's strategy is that - and this holds not only for otaku media but generally, for so called late capitalism in general even - that system itself has at it's inherent condition of functioning that it's own ideology must not be taken seriously, in other words cynicism is today's prevailing mode of ideology means that it is the positive condition of the functioning of the system is that it's own ideology must, by it's own subject, not be taken seriously. An ideal subject today, is the one who has ironic dispense towards the system etcetera etcetera, and the reverse of this is that the only way I would even say to be really subversive is not to develop critical potentials, ironic distance, but precisely to take the system more serious than it takes itself. And I think that this is one of the keys to Poputepipic's strategy." -Slavoj Žižek

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Thank You

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

It's a lot closer to anime 12oz mouse.

Yeah, this and Wonder Showzen fit better. It's like something from the weird early 2000s phase of Adult Swim.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Motherfucking SPT Layzner spot out of nowhere.

Also the Berserk bit was perfect

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Like many of you, I was wondering if they could even do Pop Team Epic in anime form.

Somehow, they did it.

Whether you like it or not depends on whether you liked PTE in the first place.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I cannot express enough just how much I need this strip animated with sound effects in my life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZXBHljbtg

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/morinoyouseii/status/950252168975499264

Episode-1-second-half Pipimi has the same VA as Chariot from Little Witch Academia (Noriko Hidaka).

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Hjalmar posted:

i like pop team epic but i would not recommend it to friends or family

I recommend it to people that like Eric Andre, the shitposting of talk shows

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is this literally the same episode twice

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is this literally the same episode twice

With different VAs for the main characters.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

With different VAs for the main characters.

This is art

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I loved all those pop culture references. I hope the show keeps 'em coming.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I had a sensible chuckle at the Your Name bit. Went in not knowing what to expect, and it's pretty good.

I mean it's poo poo.*

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Was not expecting this reference. It's not even a really recognizable or meme panel to my knowledge, is it? The only reason I recognized it is because my volume of Rurouni Kenshin had a printing error and I got to see it twice. Maybe everyone's copy is like that...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

poptepipic is problematic now, i'm preparing a call-out post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
^^^^^^î knew iT was from SOMEWHERE