Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Is there an easy way to spot the difference?

When targeted, players have "CMDR" in front of their name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

In the 30-40 hours I played I was never quite sure what was actually a player and what was an AI when I was roaming around soloing missions and such. Is there an easy way to spot the difference?

Players have CMDR in front of their name. "Nickiepoo" is AI, "CMDR Nickiepoo" is a player (who you totally shouldn't shoot in this specific case!)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Ah, then I saw a lot more players than I thought. I guess it's hard to tell because people are mostly just minding their business autodocking and flying off again, just like the AI would

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, players on radar have hollow icons, AI is all full solid.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Insurance is automatic but just be sure to update your clone to not lose skill points.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Bohemian Nights posted:

Also is there some kind of goon corp or clan? Is that even a concept in this game

Kinda! There's no in-game way of being an officially recognized group yet, but there's quite a few Elite goons hanging out on a discord for this group.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bohemian Nights posted:

I just reinstalled elite for the first time in a couple of years, time to get back into that rep grind so I can see the solar system I guess

In the 30-40 hours I played I was never quite sure what was actually a player and what was an AI when I was roaming around soloing missions and such. Is there an easy way to spot the difference?

Also is there some kind of goon corp or clan? Is that even a concept in this game

Frogs, dude. Like the Eve online goons, only less effort. Discord is a great place to hang, because they have all the knowledge. All of it.

Also the frogs are getting a station and an emblem and all that poo poo.

I do find it weird that you'd long for even more perpetual darkness... you know, since...

a big fat bunny posted:

Kinda! There's no in-game way of being an officially recognized group yet, but there's quite a few Elite goons hanging out on a discord for this group.

Yeah, these guys. Also listen to Radio Skvortsov. It's pretty great.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Also listen to Radio Skvortsov. It's pretty great.

can confirm

radio skvortsov kept me company in my conda when I was jumping back to the bubble for my Palin trip :)

and the little pro tip segments and the diamond frog commercials are fun and cool

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

Think it's called "Discord"

I play on PS4 though.

There are a number of really useful infographics and I was just hoping there was a collection of them. Some are in the first few posts but I have seen others floating around reddit and the E:D Facebook page.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Discord has a phone app that works as well as the desktop/web app

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

boar guy posted:

Discord has a phone app that works as well as the desktop/web app

If Discord is all there is, that's all I really need to know I guess.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

CornHolio posted:

If Discord is all there is, that's all I really need to know I guess.

There's a lot of really useful functionality built into the Frog Discord through a bot, you can check all sorts of stuff like whether a CMDR you just saw is known ally or enemy, LFG functionality for multicrew, info on all the stuff we're up to and how to help and nothing is mandatory, it's just a bunch of Elite nerds trying to make cool poo poo to do. It's really one of the nicest and most chill groups I've been a part of on this site, their entire goal is to add depth to an otherwise shallow game.

The history of all the nonsense we accomplished since release is really something else, I hope the leaders or someone is keeping track. You could practically write a book already. Hats off to you guys, great job all around.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
What makes a game deep vs. shallow?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

osirisisdead posted:

whatever lets me feel superior to other posters for liking/disliking a game they like/dislike

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

osirisisdead posted:

deep = lots of different stuff to do, shallow = lots of the same stuff to do

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Cheers all you dudes out in the black.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blind Rasputin posted:

Cheers all you dudes out in the black.

:cheers:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Ended up cruising to li yong space in my sidey and decided to buy a viper mk4 instead of the cobra.... A few hours later and I'm 10m richer from bounty hunting.

I know she doesn't have have the capacity or speed/ agility as the cobra but I love my chunky viper4 daughter.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

the milk machine posted:

Ended up cruising to li yong space in my sidey and decided to buy a viper mk4 instead of the cobra.... A few hours later and I'm 10m richer from bounty hunting.

I know she doesn't have have the capacity or speed/ agility as the cobra but I love my chunky viper4 daughter.
Viper MK4 can be fitted out into an unholy hatebrick of armour. It's like a babby Federal Assault Ship so if you're enjoying it you have an upgrade path :)

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mercurius posted:

unholy hatebrick

Don't steal my death metal bandname tyvm :mad:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I tried to fly a viper through the tunnel track thing along the sides of a Coriolis station and it did not work out. I exploded. Much harder than it looks.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what's a solid ship progression if i like flying big ships that are good at not exploding? i went right from sidewinder to the viper mk3, and i guess the next step is the mk4 we were just talking about, but then what?

also, should i focus on upgrading my components or my ship? is a well-upgraded mk3 going to be substantially better than a stock mk4?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what's a solid ship progression if i like flying big ships that are good at not exploding? i went right from sidewinder to the viper mk3, and i guess the next step is the mk4 we were just talking about, but then what?

also, should i focus on upgrading my components or my ship? is a well-upgraded mk3 going to be substantially better than a stock mk4?

Viper isn't really a big ship. But if you enjoy fighting (and why wouldn't you, it's the thing this game really gets right), I'd suggest using your bounty money to buy a Vulture. Why? Because it's the single funnest combat ship in the game. It sucks for everything else, but it's basically a space ferrari with battleship guns. It's the most fantastic thing. With engineering, you can make it entirely godlike.

Then who knows, maybe work some Federation rep and get a FAS probably?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

How is FAS compared to FGS?

I found the (A graded, mil composite, non-engineered) FGS a huge flying turd with awful turning and lol speed. Is FAS a more agile version with no fighter bay? Also any advice on making FGS somewhat more pleasant to fly? Dirty drives?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

FAS is really agile. It's nothing like the FGS.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I almost bought a FAS during the 'no rank required' thing, but never got around to it. :negative:

Vulture only has 2 mounts, what do you put there? Just to c3 multi? Laugh at shields?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hobold posted:

I almost bought a FAS during the 'no rank required' thing, but never got around to it. :negative:

Vulture only has 2 mounts, what do you put there? Just to c3 multi? Laugh at shields?

It's two Large hardpoints on a chassis that can take a hell of a beating and do donuts around almost any ship while firing, it almost doesn't matter. But I've heard that a Vulture with a beam laser and a frag cannon is good, esp. when engineered. When I had one I went fixed multis because why ever wouldn't you.

E: Found this, this is a good post. Kind of sort of outdated a little, but it gives you some idea of where to go.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I cannot stress it enough: Bigger ships do not mean best ships. The Vulture was the 3rd ship I ever bought, and I *still* use it as my go-to "gently caress poo poo up" ship, and it's not because I can't afford something better. This is how she looks now:

Build: https://eddp.co/u/XPtgqGCn

I made my first 400 million credits or so in this ship, the old fashioned lovely way: Power Play and Bounty Hunting. This was before all the fun money-making poo poo that people use now existed, so it was the best we had. Thankfully I like flying around and blowing stuff up so I didn't mind too much. It was held together with spit and duct tape and was so underpowered I had to turn off the warp drive to turn on the weapons, but it worked.

Nowadays it's batshit insane. Flying it in VR is especially glorious. I regularly take this thing by itself into Combat Zones and spank the poo poo out of everything with it. I actually PREFER fighting ships like corvettes and the like because they're too fat/slow to draw a bead on my ship. Meanwhile, I'm latched onto their blindspot like a rabid badger, chewing out their power plant while they flail around helplessly.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 9, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The thing about the vulture is, it’s shields and speed and turning power are an enormous blanket of security to do whatever you want under. Take advantage of this. I, personally, would fit two overcharge engineered 3c multicannons on my vulture and decimate ships in RES (take the 30 minutes you need to harvest the rocks to synthesize more multicannon ammo from the menu so you don’t have to go back in as often). An anaconda is literally zero match for a vulture. Sub-target it’s power plant and strafe in a circle around it so close to its hull that none of its weapons can even target you. It will blow up. Do the same to any federal ships. If you fight a clipper, get right in front of it’s cockpit nose to nose and strafe yourself to stay there while you literally melt their canopy open with mutlicannon fire. You will be so close their gun’s lovely gimbal convergence limits will not be able to touch you.

It’s the most fun there is fighting in this game. Be sure to kit out your vulture so you’re at the point power management wise where it’s crammed to the gills with poo poo and you have to turn off your FSD to deploy your weapons. You get much more ability to fit big shields, shield cell boosters, and big thrusters and weapons this way while using a less massive power plant. Your FSD will reinitialize quickly when you retract your weapons and turn it back on and you don’t need it while fighting properly in a RES anyways.

The FAS is a logical step to big ship from a vulture as it feels quite similar and has big shields too. I felt like power management was much harder in it though. I still never felt that it was as strong as the vulture either.

As to the FGS question, I have grade 4 dirty drives on mine and it turns fine and is fun. It feels like a fairly slow super vulture. The fighter is what really helps and without it I think smaller ships would be a huge pain. I kind of like sucking my fighter on a target and watching it swoop in.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The great thing about the FAS is it turns almost as quickly out of the sweet spot as in it.

Most ships turn dramatically slower if you dip out of the blue, but the FAS barely loving notices. That translates to a lot of real world manoeuvrability, and makes it a shoe in for fixed weapons of all types.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Thanks for the advice.

I really enjoy reading you guys gush over some of these ships, as it gives me ideas of what I'd like to try.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
The Gunship can be a pretty agile space chopper in combat, but only if you game the afterburner+flight assist like a fukkin pro

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
So is this big dumb boat I helped fill with liquor gonna jump to some other part of the galaxy like the other one?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think my question got missed the other day, but how should I kit out an Anaconda to just park in a combat zone and tool around in my fighter? Do I just load up on shield cell banks and turrets?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Enos Cabell posted:

I think my question got missed the other day, but how should I kit out an Anaconda to just park in a combat zone and tool around in my fighter? Do I just load up on shield cell banks and turrets?

First you need to have an NPC pilot at least Master rank. Otherwise they're going to get you killed by getting your mothership blown up.

Then just fit the conda with as many SCBs and whatever weapons you like. A Conda can run a 6a Prismatic Shield Generator and then a 7A Shield Cell Bank and 2 additional 6A Shield Banks. Throw on 6 OA Shield Boosters (with heavy duty on all but one, and thermal resist on the other) and you'll have yourself a good 2.5-3.0k shield tank with lots of recharge.

As far as weapons go, since you're not flying the stupid thing you can probably get away with fixed weapons so your NPC pilot can do some decent damage. Multicannons are popular.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What are dirty driven clippers like?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

First you need to have an NPC pilot at least Master rank. Otherwise they're going to get you killed by getting your mothership blown up.

Then just fit the conda with as many SCBs and whatever weapons you like. A Conda can run a 6a Prismatic Shield Generator and then a 7A Shield Cell Bank and 2 additional 6A Shield Banks. Throw on 6 OA Shield Boosters (with heavy duty on all but one, and thermal resist on the other) and you'll have yourself a good 2.5-3.0k shield tank with lots of recharge.

As far as weapons go, since you're not flying the stupid thing you can probably get away with fixed weapons so your NPC pilot can do some decent damage. Multicannons are popular.

Awesome, thanks! Maybe a dumb question, but are NPC pilots tied to the ship? I've got a keelback with a fighter bay and a somewhat leveled up pilot, would be nice to be able to just swap that one in.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Enos Cabell posted:

Awesome, thanks! Maybe a dumb question, but are NPC pilots tied to the ship? I've got a keelback with a fighter bay and a somewhat leveled up pilot, would be nice to be able to just swap that one in.

Not tied to your ship. In fact they continue to sap whatever % they take even when not active. i.e. just sitting around in the crew lounge.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What are dirty driven clippers like?

Utterly terrifying in the right hands: https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringArborealJuiceDansGame

You have to really know what you're doing with the ship though.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2018

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is this worth getting for PS4? How much do you miss out on vs PC?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Is this worth getting for PS4? How much do you miss out on vs PC?

I wish I had it on PC for unlimited key binds, the ability to change the color of my HUD, and VR. Beyond that I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Being able to change the HUD is really a godsend that should be added as a fully supported feature instead of the file fuckery it is now.

• Locked thread